Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#101 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@sts106mat said:

@Zero_epyon: they are simply fancy loading screens. no interaction available and the game is loading.

Those "fancy loading screens" aren't loading screens at all. They're gameplay elements that hide loading while keeping the player engaged, instead of just staring at static images. Unless you're ready to claim that Tomb Raider's mud traversal between areas or Mass Effect's elevator rides where you start conversations with your squad members are loading screens.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 Zero_epyon

@sts106mat said:

@Zero_epyon: they are not gameplay because there is no interaction. If theee is input amd interaction they count as gameplay. Those without ala andromeda are loading screens

You've gotta be trolling. Pressing a button to start a conversation is not interact? Pushing buttons continuously to push through mud is not interactive? Well damn, everything's a loading screen then.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 Zero_epyon

@sts106mat said:

@Zero_epyon: that would count as gameplay like i said. If there is NO interaction and the game is loading its just a fancy loading screen like andromedas galaxy map

Andromeda's galaxy map is on rails travel to your destination. So anything on rails is a loading screen too?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#106 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7148 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@gifford38 said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@gifford38 said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Gotta love you console fanboys... Every generation you fall for the hype then games come out and what do you have?... Meh.

Ratchet and Clank no other game out of the 20+ showed have any use of the NVME.

The back peddling is hilarious.

there was 25 games. lol yes a launch title already is using it such a gimmick. it be a gimmick if developer was using it 4 years from now not a launch title. horizon zero dawn 2 will be using it and every other game because no load screens and no loading when fast traveling and no waiting to load again after you die.

You sure about no load screens?

You do realise that it needs to be developed in such a way to make use of that performance.

I will bet you there will be games that take 10-20 seconds or longer to load?... If your up for it.

You people are hilarious, you don't seem to understand what hardware is and how software literally needs to be developed for it, Sony put together the hardware and created a system to take advantage of it but if a developer is producing a Multi-platform game there is a huge chance they will not develop their game around cache at the speeds the PS5 NVME needs.

The ratchet game was developed to take advantage of the to the metal coding and NVME/IO speeds of the PS5... Other games will not.

Its not a simple plug and play and the what ever game will immediately load on the PS5, it needs to be developed from ground up to make use such a feature.

You will see, not long to go now.

Wasn't so long ago that you guys thought 4K/60 with every game or 8K/30 was possible on a 32CU GPU.

I think you need to watch mark deep dive again. he explains its all in the hardware. has nothing to do with the ssd. everything is done in the custom main chip. he also said the developers don't need to know any of this. they can make there game any way they want they can put the data on the ssd and the console does the rest. they can use any compression tools out there and the i/o will decompress 9gig to 5.5 or 9 to 22 gig using kreken format. they don't need to make there game around those speeds. the developer develops the game ps5 does the rest. the dma controller in the custom main chip tells were that data needs to go. gpu, cpu or memory.

but that sentence he says developers don't need to know any of this. they can make there game any way they want they can put the data on the ssd and the console does the rest.

thats why even df and epic is talking about the i/o in the ps5. it gives the developer freedom.

also with the tempest chip. its all hardwired in. so the developers don't have to choose to use it. they make the sound and the tempest chip does the 3d sound from that sound data they create.

Stop.

Mark Cerny talked about the GDDR5 in the PS4 as if it was incredible.

DF failed several times to predict consoles... Switch was most recent saying would be Tegra X2 which it wasn't.

The simple fact is it won't be instant for every game, like I said you can take anyone of these hype machines word for it. Bet me?... I'm all in on the PS5 having load times on games.

What Cerny said is borderline impossible without direct input from a developer, only if the game is design on a PS5 devkit and made for the PS5 will it work but majority of Multi-platform games aren't developed on consoles they are developed on PC then ported to console, its been this way since the beginning on this generation essentially since consoles went X86.

Instant load times is possible but only when developed for it, these people are lying to sell pre-orders for their consoles and DF always inflates their "guesstimates"... Its why they always fail, even when guessing Ray Tracing amounts and graphical settings numorous times they have said consoles uses those settings until they actually do a comparison and realise its lower than they thought. They guess and Cerny is trying to sell a console.

no the deep dive was not mark trying to sell the ps5 that video was for game developers only because of the virus it ended up being main stream instead of closed doors. he would not say the developer does not need to know any of this. yes it can be made on a pc. now port over to consoles they will take that data compress it on what ever compression format there using. from that point they put on the ps5 ssd and the ps5 does the rest. there i/o put that decompresses the data would of taking up 9 of there zens2 cores if the cpu was doing it. his exact words. so now those 9 zen2 cores can do other things instead. then the dedicated dma controller tells were that data needs to go. that would of taking another 1 to 2 zen2 cores now those are freed up this removes check in as a bottleneck. they added coherency engines which flushes the gpu caches. so they added custom cache scrubbers in the gpu to get rid of stale

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph8LyNIT9sg

go from 11min in to 20min

19.28 min in is him saying

as a game developer you when reading from the ssd you don't need to know any of this. you don't even need to know if your data is compressed. just indicate what data you like to read from your uncompressed original file and the process of loading it happens invisible to you.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#107 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5873 Posts
Loading Video...

Samsung 840 SSD released in 2013

2-4 seconds loading for most fast travel, the odd one went higher.

Rift transitions vary from 1-3 seconds

All that money and marketing to save 1-2 seconds.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@pc_rocks said:

Ah, nope. While the actual loading 'wall' may have started at 0:54, the actual loading most probably began a lot earlier. It was an onrail segment that again carefully designed to hide that just like the example of elevator or tunnel. That design is right there. It's a loading wall no matter how you put it. It's fast but it's still there.

Sorry Cerny specifically mentioned these examples to mask the loading screen and here again the same approach is being used. He specifically used the example of 'as the player turning'. If it was that fast you don't need the rift. Regardless of the fact if the assets being load make up the same level or a different level. he specifically mentioned, streaming from SSD so you can't hide behind the same level excuse because the only benefit same level has is that it's already loaded in memory.

That all answered the 2nd part. For the 1st part, the loading screen doesn't have to have a word 'loading' in it to be one.

You can literally see the hitch when the loading begins as he enters the rift. But it's still not a loading screen. And I think you're trying to redefine what loading screens are to save your argument.

From wikipedia: A loading screen is a picture shown by a computer program, often a video game, while the program is loading or initializing.

So when you say the rift is a loading screen, you are incorrect.

As for the player turning, we can't say for sure that this isn't already being done in these games, but that's still not what the rift is doing. The rift is loading a level, not a corridor inside the same level. You really have to understand the difference.

And I'm still waiting for Cerney's exact quote about eliminating loading altogether.

You can try to DC with the semantics all you want but it's a loading screen, especially when you take it in context of what Mark Cerny talked about. There are no ifs, buts etc. Next, you will tell me AC don't have loading screens because you can control Altair in it.

Oh and you can't DC about the turning part. Cerny explicitly said streaming from SSD that means the data that is not in memory. That's the only difference between modern 'levels'. Anything that is not in memory is synonymous with a new level in modern times. This is precisely why there are two rifts in the game, one that switch within the level like portals.

The exact quote is provided you are trying your level best to deflect. So much for loading while the player is turning, LMAO.

Oh and if you think you can dig yourself out of the tunnel that Cerny didn't consider those as a kind of loading screens or walls:

Cerny said that the new SSD in the PS5 won’t just make it so you never have to wait at a blank screen again; that’s a given because of the architecture of SSD compared to hard disk drives that allow an SSD to seek and pull data on the drive almost instantaneously. Going further, Cerny added, the SSD will completely change how developers think about a game is created.

Cerny says most modern game developers more realistically “chop the world into a number of smaller pieces” to avoid those extra-long elevator rides. But the end result is that you have levels designed with twisty passages and long, repetitive environments that are there solely to account for load times and to avoid kicking the player to a black screen. Cerny cites Haven City in the classic adventure game Jak 2.

“The game is 20 years old, but not much has changed since then. All those twisty passages are there for a reason. There’s a whole subset of level design dedicated to this world, but still, it’s a giant distraction for a team that just wants to make their game,” Cerny explained.What if the SSD is so fast that, as the player is turning around, it’s possible to load textures for everything behind the player in that split second? If you figure that it takes half a second to turn, that’s four gigabytes of compressed data you can load.”

The entire conversation was about getting rid of these loading screens or 'tunnels'. His turning around quote is directly related to loading a new level. DC that!

Oh and this is straight from the tech talk. I haven't touch the PR and hype around it at all which is pretty much about zero load times.

So much for no loading screens and the first game that is specifically designed to demonstrate that has the same 'loading screens'.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts
@sts106mat said:

@pc_rocks: exactly like Mass Effect Andromeda navigating the galaxy map.

it gave you the appearance of flying between planets and solar systems, pretty seamless and certainly better than a blank screen...... but was definitely just loading screens.

Oh all the cows know that as well. They are just trying to get out of the hole they dig themselves and try to save face. Zero_Epyon probably thought I wouldn't be able to quote any specific example from Sony but here we have Cerny exactly selling you snake oil.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@gifford38 said:
@i_p_daily said:

A kids game, with ray tracing on the little robot that sits on his back shows what the PooS5 can do

there a lot more ray tracing going in this video. i guess you didn't watch the gameplay video above.

again making judgement without even looking at it. im so happy your not a judge in real life.

stop im going to pee well you are I pee daily.

This is taken from THIS thread on here

Clank's body has ray traced reflections on it in addition to certain reflective materials throughout the world. Some reflections missing depending on object destruction or possible optimization.

Go read that thread its embarrassing reading for the PooS5's ray tracing lol.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Gifford38

@i_p_daily said:
@gifford38 said:
@i_p_daily said:

A kids game, with ray tracing on the little robot that sits on his back shows what the PooS5 can do

there a lot more ray tracing going in this video. i guess you didn't watch the gameplay video above.

again making judgement without even looking at it. im so happy your not a judge in real life.

Clank's body has ray traced reflections on it in addition to certain reflective materials throughout the world. Some reflections missing depending on object destruction or possible optimization.

lol making fun of the ps5 raytracing funny how not one game in xbox show had raytracing nor did they talk about raytracing. but yet you seem to forget that. all your going buy is series x hype reytracing. just like sony fans with there ssd. but guess what they showed that off to.

how do you know xbox games aren't going to be the same way? because xbox told you?

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 tdkmillsy

@gifford38 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@gifford38 said:
@i_p_daily said:

lol making fun of the ps5 raytracing funny how not one game in xbox show had raytracing nor did they talk about raytracing. but yet you seem to forget that. all your going buy is series x hype reytracing. just like sony fans with there ssd. but guess what they showed that off to.

how do you know xbox games aren't going to be the same way? because xbox told you?

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/7/21249918/xbox-series-x-gameplay-footage-trailers-ray-tracing-assassins-creed-madden-yakuza

and it was the warm up act, the main event is in July.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Gifford38

@tdkmillsy said:
@gifford38 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@gifford38 said:
@i_p_daily said:

https://www.theverge.com/2020/5/7/21249918/xbox-series-x-gameplay-footage-trailers-ray-tracing-assassins-creed-madden-yakuza

wow you just confirmed the ps5 will have more raytracing games to because all the games you showed will be on the ps5 as well. this was sony warm up show as well. they said they will have more showings before the console comes out.

so sony first warm up act kick the crap out of xbox first warm up act. besides once the unreal engine 5 comes most of these game will be using global lumination which is less gpu heavy lighting than raytracing. just like how most of these games today use unreal 4.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 tdkmillsy

@gifford38 said:
@tdkmillsy said:
@gifford38 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@gifford38 said:

wow you just confirmed the ps5 will have more raytracing games to because all the games you showed will be on the ps5 as well. this was sony warm up show as well. they said they will have more showings before the console comes out.

so sony first warm up act kick the crap out of xbox first warm up act. besides once the unreal engine 5 comes most of these game will be using global lumination which is less gpu heavy lighting than raytracing. just like how most of these games today use unreal 4.

So whens Sony's Main event?

It will be truly amazing if they showed Spiderman and Horizon at the warm up event.

No this was Sony's main event and they might show a few more bits as time goes on.

Series X will do raytracing better and the main event is yet to come in July.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#116 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@gifford38: To call the event where they showed the PS5 for the first time and their main line up for the first year a warm up is kind of silly. No?

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@gifford38 said:
@tdkmillsy said:
@gifford38 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@gifford38 said:

XSX will run UE5 games better, just like it will do RT better, not that either console will be impressive in the RT category.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 Gifford38

@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@tdkmillsy said:
@gifford38 said:
@i_p_daily said:

XSX will run UE5 games better, just like it will do RT better, not that either console will be impressive in the RT category.

I like how there is no proof that ue5 will run games better on the series x but your all guessing it will because of teraflops numbers. yet epic had to change there un5 code to take advantage of the i/o put in the ps5. remember teraflops does not = your total performance of your system. and teraflops is only one calculation of total gpu power.

if the rumors are correct the series s is 4 teraflop machine but still can out perform the xbox one x at 6 teraflops. this also why xbox is scared to announce it because it will backfire on the series x teraflop hype.

because there more to a gpu than teraflops. teraflops hype is what fans made up last gen.

this is why on pc there are gpu with less teraflops that out perform higher teraflop count gpus.

but xbox fans ignore this.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@gifford38 said:
@i_p_daily said:
@gifford38 said:
@i_p_daily said:

Dude you really do tow the company line don't you, as I said in the other thread, if the RT is as bad on the SeX as it is on the PooS5 then they may as well not use it.

Its an embarrassment to say your game is 4k/60fps and your RT is checkerboard 1080p.

You should change your name from gifford38 to gullible38 lol.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#120 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@gifford38: you're cherry picking factoids like TFLOPS =/= in-game performance (which is true) and ignoring reality. UE5 games will run better on the XSX, because any engine will run better on the XSX. And we know this right now because multiple dimensions of its architecture are clearly superior. I'm sorry. It's ok. I'm going to buy a PS5 eventually and not an XSX. But that's in spite of the power difference, not because I've deluded myself into thinking there isn't one.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Fedor

@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@tdkmillsy said:

I like how there is no proof that ue5 will run games better on the series x but your all guessing it will because of teraflops numbers. yet epic had to change there un5 code to take advantage of the i/o put in the ps5. remember teraflops does not = your total performance of your system. and teraflops is only one calculation of total gpu power.

if the rumors are correct the series s is 4 teraflop machine but still can out perform the xbox one x at 6 teraflops. this also why xbox is scared to announce it because it will backfire on the series x teraflop hype.

because there more to a gpu than teraflops. teraflops hype is what fans made up last gen.

this is why on pc there are gpu with less teraflops that out perform higher teraflop count gpus.

I'm not "guessing", it's a fact the XSX is stronger. Better GPU, better CPU, faster memory bandwidth where it matters. The SSD/io simply isn't going to do anything to counter these advantages.

"this is why on pc there are gpu with less teraflops that out perform higher teraflop count gpus."

Yeah, that's because there are several different GPU architectures available on PC, the consoles are both RDNA2, the tflop comparisons are apt. I know more about this than you.

I crossed out the majority of your misinformation or speculation.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 Gifford38

@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@fedor said:
@gifford38 said:
@tdkmillsy said:

I'm not "guessing", it's a fact the XSX is stronger. Better GPU, better CPU, faster memory bandwidth where it matters. The SSD/io simply isn't going to do anything to counter these advantages.

"this is why on pc there are gpu with less teraflops that out perform higher teraflop count gpus."

Yeah, that's because there are several different GPU architectures available on PC, the consoles are both RDNA2, the tflop comparisons are apt. I know more about this than you.

I crossed out the majority of your misinformation or speculation.

but the difference the cpu in the series x is doing the decompression. the i/o chip in the ps5 does the decompression of 9 to 22 gigs of krakken or 9 of any other compression format that would of take 9 zen2 cores in a conventional cpu to decompress that much data. deep dive said those exact words. even the series x compressed data does not equal our uncompressed data. so third partys most of there games on the ps5 will be uncompressed because they have to go with series x max compression. while there cpu is decompressing our gpu will be freed up to do other things.

even if the developers use there game data to decompressed by the cpu like normal. the ps5 i/o put will still decompress it. the developer does not need to know any of this. dma controller tells that data were to go and the i/o will still decompress it.

why is every one ignoring the fact the ps5 gpu and cpu can borrow from one another. if the game is gpu heavy then the cpu can help the gpu or vise versa. if the game cpu heavy then the gpu can help the cpu.

amd shift

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Fedor

@gifford38: I'm not going to even bother quoting all that. This has all been explained to you multiple times now. XSX is stronger, that's the end of it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#124 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

@gifford38: "Hardware Decompression – Hardware decompression is a dedicated hardware component introduced with Xbox Series X to allow games to consume as little space as possible on the SSD while eliminating all CPU overhead typically associated with run-time decompression"

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 tdkmillsy

@gifford38 You have been taken to school again.

Crazy_Chemist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Crazy_Chemist
Member since 2020 • 154 Posts

@gifford38: the thing is, is that both systems are going to have extremely reduced load times so it really dont matter to me. Also those ssd tests from sony are in a controlled environment, i want to see how that ssd is compared to Microsofts SSD with a 3rd party game and possibly open world. And even if it is only a couple seconds, the XsX really wont be that far behind.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#128 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69427 Posts

@fedor said:

@gifford38: I'm not going to even bother quoting all that. This has all been explained to you multiple times now. XSX is stronger, that's the end of it.

I gave up a long time ago. He is now classified as stupid for me. 🤣