Ratchet and Clank PS3: Gameplay vs. CGI (56k warning)

This topic is locked from further discussion.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

User Lists: 0

#1 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

Here's the new CGI commercial for R & C: Tools of Destruction:

link

If you've played the demo or game, you'd notice that the CGI looks remarkably similar to the actual game. Note: I said "similar"--not "the same"--there are obvious particle, lighting, physics, and texture resolution advantages in the CGI movie. But I dare say that Ratchet has gotten much closer to CGI, or "Pixar" quality visuals than any game before it.

Here's some gameplay footage for the sake of comparison:

link

An in-game cutscene:

link

And in blistering 1080i high-definition, this game looks much crisper and brighter than fuzzy, compressed gametrailers footage. It's a lot of fun to play, too :)

xjet038

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 xjet038
Member since 2007 • 136 Posts
naruto = ratchet and clank
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

Pretty. :)

I really like the commercial. Whatever team worked on that ad needs to work on all Sony ads.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 fuzzysquash

I really like the commercial. Whatever team worked on that ad needs to work on all Sony ads.

the-very-best

Hey, did I tell you I got a PS3?

We'll game online as soon as you get one next year.

therealmcc0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 therealmcc0y
Member since 2007 • 2115 Posts
Yep looks great, cant wait to see what games will look when they use the whole 50gbs of blu ray
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 the-very-best

fuzzysquash

No, you didn't tell me. I'm hurt that you'd tell other people without telling me first.

Did you get the 40GB? Heavenly Sword I'm guessing?

I'm getting one when MGSIV or GTAIV comes out, whichever is out first (probably GTAIV now). And it's rumoured to have online so I think that'll be the first game that I kick your ass on. It's gonna be fun to run over you (in the game). Then kill you in MGS, Killzone etc, it's just all ass-kicking for you.

Polaris_choice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Polaris_choice
Member since 2007 • 2334 Posts

naruto = ratchet and clankxjet038

Only on Gamespot.

Demetri_OS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Demetri_OS
Member since 2006 • 2514 Posts
Yep looks great, cant wait to see what games will look when they use the whole 50gbs of blu raytherealmcc0y
And, of course developers will create 50gbs of content. Holy crap, are PS3 fanboys still holding onto this one??
Demetri_OS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Demetri_OS

[QUOTE="xjet038"]naruto = ratchet and clankPolaris_choice

Only on Gamespot.

The same site PS3 fans bank on. So, if you don't agree with it, go to Sony Defense Farce or something. 
Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts
the game has some really bad textures in some spots...and I MEAN BAD!! i have beat the game yet or even close to but the rest of the game so far does not look as good as the first level or even the cutscenes are no where as amazing as the very first 3 in the first 3 levels
beavisofcod2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 beavisofcod2
Member since 2007 • 445 Posts
we have a 52" lcd hdtv with hdmi input from the ps3, this game looks brilliant on it even close up, the only thing i've noticed a big difference between the cg cutscenes and the in game footage (and in game cutscenes) is that faces are slightly different: eyes and mouths, their lines are a little smoother, otherwise there's not a whole lot of difference, and of course emperor tachyon's face is too smooth to be in game footage, but otherwise the only time i saw jaggies was during the first cutscene of the game, the game is very very sharp
my only complaint is the final armor you get in the game (badass looking trilium armor) is pretty-low res, in cutscenes it looks like ps2 graphics, that's my only real complaint about the graphics in the whole game, otherwise it's all brilliant
therealmcc0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 therealmcc0y

[QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]Yep looks great, cant wait to see what games will look when they use the whole 50gbs of blu rayDemetri_OS
And, of course developers will create 50gbs of content. Holy crap, are PS3 fanboys still holding onto this one??

So we will stay at making games at about 25gbs and never improve, ever, ever, EVER and technologically, this is the best its ever gonna get?

martin_f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 martin_f
Member since 2005 • 2605 Posts
Meh, lacks Identity.
Innovazero2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Innovazero2000
Member since 2006 • 3159 Posts
Does the game really screen tear like that (1080i movie). cause that is horendously annoying...
0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts
[QUOTE="the-very-best"]

fuzzysquash

Hey fuzz! Add me! Orin

Can't wait to talk to/play with you online! Grats on getting the PS3 :D
0rin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 0rin
Member since 2006 • 7179 Posts

Does the game really screen tear like that (1080i movie). cause that is horendously annoying...Innovazero2000

I beat the game, and I haven't noticed any screen tearing. There is some slow down in some cutscenes, but none durring gameplay.

squallff8_fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 squallff8_fan
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

Here's the new CGI commercial for R & C: Tools of Destruction:

link

If you've played the demo or game, you'd notice that the CGI looks remarkably similar to the actual game. Note: I said "similar"--not "the same"--there are obvious particle, lighting, physics, and texture resolution advantages in the CGI movie. But I dare say that Ratchet has gotten much closer to CGI, or "Pixar" quality visuals than any game before it.

Here's some gameplay footage for the sake of comparison:

link

An in-game cutscene:

link

And in blistering 1080i high-definition, this game looks much crisper and brighter than fuzzy, compressed gametrailers footage. It's a lot of fun to play, too :)

fuzzysquash

Totally agree, and I been playing this game on my 42 inch LCD HDTV in 1080p and im like stunned with the graphics alone. Its funny because everytime I am playing it my nephews and nieces sit there and just watch it like its a pixar movie, and when I go to play Warhawk or Halo 3 they get mad and say put on the movie of RAC, lol. It truelly is an amazing game even if it is easy, I still love it because of exploring for new items and weapons. Must buy game for anyone who owns a ps3, simply the best ratchet ive played, and worth the buy. :)

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mordred19
Member since 2007 • 8259 Posts
[QUOTE="the-very-best"]

fuzzysquash

You got one? Sweet! What multiplayer games do you have so far?

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 fuzzysquash
[QUOTE="fuzzysquash"]

the-very-best

No, you didn't tell me. I'm hurt that you'd tell other people without telling me first.

I'm getting one when MGSIV or GTAIV comes out, whichever is out first (probably GTAIV now). And it's rumoured to have online so I think that'll be the first game that I kick your ass on. It's gonna be fun to run over you (in the game). Then kill you in MGS, Killzone etc, it's just all ass-kicking for you.

haha you wish. You're gonna be walking along, minding your own business in MGO until you spot a magazine featuring Adriana Lima on the cover, and while you're busy "reading the article" I'll come up behind you and CQC your @ss :D

And lol, I haven't told anyone yet. I might make a blog about it in the near future. I got the 80GB with Motorstorm, even though I said before I'd get the 40. I just figured the extra HDD and backwards compatibility was worth the extra money. I also rented Heavenly Sword, so hopefully I can beat that this weekend.

Areola54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Areola54
Member since 2006 • 1827 Posts
looks too kiddy for me, but I bet there are kids that would love that game.
Demetri_OS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Demetri_OS

[QUOTE="Demetri_OS"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]Yep looks great, cant wait to see what games will look when they use the whole 50gbs of blu raytherealmcc0y

So we will stay at making games at about 25gbs and never improve, ever, ever, EVER and technologically, this is the best its ever gonna get?

Improve on what? Textures? FMV? You think developers will spend their time creating high quality textures and FMV? 50GBs worth? What exactly will you 50GBs of?? Do you even know?
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 fuzzysquash
[QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="the-very-best"]

Mordred19

So far, only Motorstorm. I haven't opened it yet, though, since I'm thinking of trading it in for a different game.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 fuzzysquash

Does the game really screen tear like that (1080i movie). cause that is horendously annoying...Innovazero2000

No, it doesn't. That's gametrailers' video capturing that's causing the tearing. The game itself runs seamlessly.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 fuzzysquash
[QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="the-very-best"]

0rin

Hey fuzz! Add me! Orin

Can't wait to talk to/play with you online! Grats on getting the PS3 :D

Thanks man, I'll do that :)

therealmcc0y

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 therealmcc0y
[QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

[QUOTE="Demetri_OS"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]Yep looks great, cant wait to see what games will look when they use the whole 50gbs of blu rayDemetri_OS

Improve on what? Textures? FMV? You think developers will spend their time creating high quality textures and FMV? 50GBs worth? What exactly will you 50GBs of?? Do you even know?

Your an idiot arguing with me on this one, you think things wont improve, thats just foolish.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Mordred19
[QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

[QUOTE="Demetri_OS"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]Yep looks great, cant wait to see what games will look when they use the whole 50gbs of blu rayDemetri_OS

Don't forget sound. :D Streaming high-quality audio is definetly nice.

Avatar image for blazinpuertoroc
blazinpuertoroc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 blazinpuertoroc
Member since 2004 • 12245 Posts
can some one answer this question for me? why is that the cutscenes in the game looks terrible compared to the ones in the very first level? ( ihavent beat the game yet). Are those cutscenes CG? it cant be because its looks nothing like CG or the 60 second TV spot...so wtf is up with that? it bothers me because i thought the first level was so amazing because it was so damn cinematic then after that its feels like idk? not as exciting?
niall077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 niall077
Member since 2006 • 1729 Posts

Im not gonna get this game it has to much Variety

nope doesnt make sence to me ether

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 the-very-best

haha you wish. You're gonna be walking along, minding your own business in MGO until you spot a magazine featuring Adriana Lima on the cover, and while you're busy "reading the article" I'll come up behind you and CQC your @ss :D

And lol, I haven't told anyone yet. I might make a blog about it in the near future. I got the 80GB with Motorstorm, even though I said before I'd get the 40. I just figured the extra HDD and backwards compatibility was worth the extra money. I also rented Heavenly Sword, so hopefully I can beat that this weekend.

fuzzysquash

:lol: That was good.

I'll think you'll need longer than a weekend for HS. I have concluded that you aren't talented in videogames. I came to this conclusion through solid research (so if you win in any online games in the future it's causing I'm letting you win).

But anyhoo, congrats! I'm not jealous at all.

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Mordred19
fuzzy, are you thinking of getting Resistance? the single player is really good, and the online is fun.
xTHExJUICEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 xTHExJUICEx
Member since 2007 • 3126 Posts
[QUOTE="the-very-best"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"]

fuzzysquash

I beat HS just this week, it took me about 7 hours and it was some of the best 7 hours Ive spent on my PS3.

xTHExJUICEx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 xTHExJUICEx
Member since 2007 • 3126 Posts
[QUOTE="Mordred19"][QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="the-very-best"]

fuzzysquash

So far, only Motorstorm. I haven't opened it yet, though, since I'm thinking of trading it in for a different game.

Trade that in and get Warhawk.

Areola54

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Areola54
Member since 2006 • 1827 Posts
[QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

just like they did on RFOM? copy assets all over the place to overcome the slow read speed.

Demetri_OS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Demetri_OS
[QUOTE="Demetri_OS"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

[QUOTE="Demetri_OS"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]Yep looks great, cant wait to see what games will look when they use the whole 50gbs of blu raytherealmcc0y

Your an idiot arguing with me on this one, you think things wont improve, thats just foolish.

Based on storage space? See, you can't even give examples. You result to insults. NO developer will spend the amount of time needed to fill up a BlueRay disc with 50GBs of data for a video game. 50GBs worth of storage is for one benefit - MOVIES. And thats were BluRay does well - no where else. The improvement will come from CPU/GPU, not storage. 
Demetri_OS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Demetri_OS
[QUOTE="Demetri_OS"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

[QUOTE="Demetri_OS"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]Yep looks great, cant wait to see what games will look when they use the whole 50gbs of blu rayMordred19

Don't forget sound. :D Streaming high-quality audio is definetly nice.

Sound, FMV and textures. So, developers will give you 5GBs of gameplay mechanics, and 45GBs of all that other stuff? It will take YEARS to complete one video game.Again, improvement in games come from CPU and GPU, not storage. Storage is nice, but its not up there in  making better games. What would you rather have? A car with a powerful engine? Or a bus? if you want to get from point A to point B faster (game play and performance), you go for the car with the powerful engine. If you want to haul 20 people from point A to point B, you go for the bus.  
beavisofcod2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 beavisofcod2
[QUOTE="therealmcc0y"][QUOTE="Demetri_OS"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

Based on storage space? See, you can't even give examples. You result to insults. NO developer will spend the amount of time needed to fill up a BlueRay disc with 50GBs of data for a video game. 50GBs worth of storage is for one benefit - MOVIES. And thats were BluRay does well - no where else. The improvement will come from CPU/GPU, not storage. 

i agree, personally if it can't fit on a 5.25" floppy then the developer is just being lazy, and what's with all these 256 color games nowadays? can't people see 16 color is all that's needed for a rich colorful environment? all these people worried about graphics, pshaw
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
[QUOTE="Demetri_OS"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"][QUOTE="Demetri_OS"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

[QUOTE="Demetri_OS"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]Yep looks great, cant wait to see what games will look when they use the whole 50gbs of blu raybeavisofcod2

i agree, personally if it can't fit on a 5.25" floppy then the developer is just being lazy, and what's with all these 256 color games nowadays? can't people see 16 color is all that's needed for a rich colorful environment? all these people worried about graphics, pshaw

Bad, bad use of the slippery slope argument. Seriously, anyone who uses it in this way just makes a fool of himself.

Demetri_OS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Demetri_OS
[QUOTE="Demetri_OS"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"][QUOTE="Demetri_OS"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

[QUOTE="Demetri_OS"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]Yep looks great, cant wait to see what games will look when they use the whole 50gbs of blu raybeavisofcod2

Improved CPU will result in real time physics calculations, advanced AI and a million other things that would ENHANCE a video game experience. Pretty textures, bloated FMV and overkill on audio is just eye candy. What makes me go wow are games that mimic real life in action, not looks. 
beavisofcod2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 beavisofcod2
[QUOTE="beavisofcod2"][QUOTE="Demetri_OS"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"][QUOTE="Demetri_OS"][QUOTE="therealmcc0y"]

Improved CPU will result in real time physics calculations, advanced AI and a million other things that would ENHANCE a video game experience. Pretty textures, bloated FMV and overkill on audio is just eye candy. What makes me go wow are games that mimic real life in action, not looks. 

so you would be okay if the game had great physics but everything was B&W gray blocks that emitted beeps and nothing else? updating formats has always been healthy there's a reason why the 360 doesn't use CD's for its games and there's a reason why people don't use dialup anymore either
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 fuzzysquash
[QUOTE="fuzzysquash"]

the-very-best

:lol: That was good.

I'll think you'll need longer than a weekend for HS. I have concluded that you aren't talented in videogames. I came to this conclusion through solid research (so if you win in any online games in the future it's causing I'm letting you win).

But anyhoo, congrats! I'm not jealous at all.

:lol::lol: @ your comeback

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 fuzzysquash

fuzzy, are you thinking of getting Resistance? the single player is really good, and the online is fun.Mordred19

Maybe...I tried the demo and I wasn't very impressed. The shooting action seemed like CoD, but something just didn't feel right. I don't have a lot of time to play right now, or money to spend on games for that matter, but since you recommended it I will definitely consider it.

Btw, what's your PSN ID?

Mordred19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Mordred19

[QUOTE="Mordred19"]fuzzy, are you thinking of getting Resistance? the single player is really good, and the online is fun.fuzzysquash

Maybe...I tried the demo and I wasn't very impressed. The shooting action seemed like CoD, but something just didn't feel right. I don't have a lot of time to play right now, or money to spend on games for that matter, but since you recommended it I will definitely consider it.

Btw, what's your PSN ID?

Well, Resistance does feel a little unfamiliar at first. I don't think I've ever seen that game's health system used in any other shooter, for one thing. The art design and music definetly feel different, even a year later for me. Could be unfamiliarity with the PS3 controller in your case, perhaps.

MyPSNID is Mordred19, same as here.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#43 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts
[QUOTE="the-very-best"]

fuzzysquash

Congrats! Seriously get R&C I bought it and I love it, at least worth a rental.