Random Game Discussion- Goldeneye

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
#1 Posted by drummerdave9099 (3931 posts) -

Goldeneye for Nintendo 64- released on August 25 1997, only 11 months after the N64's launch. Not the first FPS on N64, but definitely the most important one. I feel like this game is fading more and more from people's memories and not talked about much anymore so I thought I'd bring it up!

Goldeneye did a lot of things right for its time. The levels and environments were so real and detailed compared to other FPS at the time. You could even destroy computers and other parts of the environment.

Compare it to Turok which launched on N64 a few months prior- that game had a giant wall of blue fog a few feet in front of your face the whole time. Goldeneye had a much better field of view, or used better techniques to cover it up.

Playing as James Bond was freaking awesome! And it was really neat that there were different difficulty levels that added more objectives as the difficulty increased.

4 player deathmatch was mind-blowing and arguably the most fun multiplayer game ever released at that point. PS1 owners would love to talk smack on N64, but many would admit PS1 was missing something- Goldeneye.

The negatives? The single player targets 30fps but averages around 15 in most levels or lower when the action really ramps up. And 4 player runs around 10fps. Couple that with single analog stick controls and you have a game that doesn't play very well by today's standards.

How do you feel about Goldeneye all these years later?

Avatar image for storm_of_swords
#2 Edited by storm_of_swords (2483 posts) -

Still to this day, no other FPS game has ever topped Goldeneye for me. The only one that came close was it's spiritual sequel, Perfect Dark, but I still overall prefer Goldeneye.

At least a few times per year, my friends and I will get together to play the N64 and Goldeneye is always one of the games that we replay. We still have more fun with it than any other FPS game out there.

While it is dated in some aspects, it's core gameplay is still fantastic, it's soundtrack is still incredible, it's level design is still awesome with the Facility still being the best FPS map of all time, and there is still nothing more fun than seeing your friend get blown up by one of your strategically placed mines. It's a shame that we never got that Goldeneye remaster that they were working on for Xbox Live Arcade a few years ago. It would definitely become my most frequently played game if it ever got a true remaster with online play added.

#3 Posted by Sam3231 (2514 posts) -

Hah really not that random of a pick

GoldenEye was a classic and probably one of the most polarizing games of all time

Pretty much set the ball in motion for console shooters

If only we ever got a remaster :(

#4 Posted by outworld222 (2937 posts) -

Absolutely a great game. I remember sitting after school and playing for at least one hour, sometimes completing a level on the hardest difficulty.

#5 Posted by DaVillain- (32945 posts) -

I still play Goldeneye on N64 from time to time. I do retro gaming when I'm in the mood, Goldeneye is still the goat and despite I still admire Goldeneye, Perfect Dark really felt like an evolution to Goldeneye on how far it surpass Goldeneye.

If the rumors are true about N64 Classic coming soon, I just can't imagine N64 Classic releasing without Goldeneye included.

#6 Posted by AJStyles (245 posts) -

Goldeneye007 has aged very well and is still one of the best FPS games of all time.

I still play it every once in a while.

#7 Posted by xantufrog (10048 posts) -

First, let me say I love the idea of these kinds of discussions. That being said - why cant these be in Games Discussion where they should be? People say GD is dead, but if this was posted there and the same people who comment on it posted there, it would literally fix that problem.

Serious question - not picking,on the TC. And like I said, it's great to just talk about games

#8 Posted by drummerdave9099 (3931 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

First, let me say I love the idea of these kinds of discussions. That being said - why cant these be in Games Discussion where they should be? People say GD is dead, but if this was posted there and the same people who comment on it posted there, it would literally fix that problem.

Serious question - not picking,on the TC. And like I said, it's great to just talk about games

Want me to delete this and post it there?

#9 Posted by xantufrog (10048 posts) -

@drummerdave9099: sigh, not really. Like I said, I'm not targeting you specifically

#10 Posted by uninspiredcup (29159 posts) -

I thought Doom 64 was considerably better.

#11 Posted by Vaidream45 (1419 posts) -

I feel like a proper hd remaster of this game would bring it back from the dead. I tried revisiting the n64 version and I just can’t handle those controls anymore. However a pc version would be so much frickin fun to play.

#12 Posted by uninspiredcup (29159 posts) -

@vaidream45 said:

I feel like a proper hd remaster of this game would bring it back from the dead. I tried revisiting the n64 version and I just can’t handle those controls anymore. However a pc version would be so much frickin fun to play.

Loading Video...

#13 Posted by mrbojangles25 (42343 posts) -

I think Goldeneye was the only game my friends and I played for like a year or more.

All the different ways you can customize the rounds...moonraker lasers, karate chops only, golden gun...it was a lot of fun coming up with stuff to do.

Until some asshole played as Oddjob, that short small target. CHEATER!

#14 Edited by mrbojangles25 (42343 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@vaidream45 said:

Loading Video...

leave it to PC to make everything all better. That is awesome. I remember this being a mod on the original Half-Life game, nice to see they transitioned to Source/Half-Life 2.

@xantufrog said:

@drummerdave9099: sigh, not really. Like I said, I'm not targeting you specifically

Yeah wish it would go to Games Discussion as well, things would be much better and not everything has to be a petty squabble.

I guess people post in System Wars because it's the most popular place?

#15 Posted by drummerdave9099 (3931 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

Honestly it might be time to merge the two together somehow?

#16 Posted by xantufrog (10048 posts) -

@drummerdave9099: I've thought that too

#17 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24520 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

That and every post is an attempt to push people's buttons. Some fall for it. ;)

#18 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24520 posts) -
@xantufrog said:

All that spammer crap we saw earlier in the year kinda turned me off Games Discussion. That subforum was always the first one to be infested.

#19 Posted by uninspiredcup (29159 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@vaidream45 said:

Loading Video...

leave it to PC to make everything all better. That is awesome. I remember this being a mod on the original Half-Life game, nice to see they transitioned to Source/Half-Life 2.

@xantufrog said:

Yeah wish it would go to Games Discussion as well, things would be much better and not everything has to be a petty squabble.

I'd kill for another James Bond game. Not too keen on the Daniel Craig ones, preferably more of a "legends" style game, only good.

#20 Edited by mrbojangles25 (42343 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: I enjoyed the Daniel Craig movies for their more grounded, darker approach, but yeah...not really game material. IMO the Pierce Brosnan movies are prime material; they have the corniness and kitsch of the original Bond movies, with the over-the-top villains, and weapons and gadgets that are modern/futuristic enough to not appear dated.

Goldeneye was a great game in part because the material was perfect for a game.

#21 Posted by DaVillain- (32945 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

@drummerdave9099: I've thought that too

To me, I actually like going to Game Discussion, I consider that place a safe heaven for anything gaming discussion only and none of that fanboy BS. The only problem is the lack of traffic, but we still have dedicated users over in Game Discussion who don't want nothing to do with System Wars and I don't want to see it merge with SW. If were talking about merging subforums, Retro Gaming should merge with Game Discussion but that's just my opinion however.

@jun_aka_pekto said:

All that spammer crap we saw earlier in the year kinda turned me off Games Discussion. That subforum was always the first one to be infested.

And like @jun_aka_pekto pointed out, that place is always feel with unknown spammers and really, there's barely any mods patrolling Game Discussion which is a letdown for those who want to go talk about games. It really sucks cause it's scaring away regular users from posting that place all due to lots of spammers.

#22 Posted by uninspiredcup (29159 posts) -

@mrbojangles25 said:

@uninspiredcup: I enjoyed the Daniel Craig movies for their more grounded, darker approach, but yeah...not really game material. IMO the Pierce Brosnan movies are prime material; they have the corniness and kitsch of the original Bond movies, with the over-the-top villains, and weapons and gadgets that are modern/futuristic enough to not appear dated.

Goldeneye was a great game in part because the material was perfect for a game.

Very true indeed. But it will be the latest one that's the most marketable.