Random E3 thoughts and discussions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

markman67

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 markman67
Member since 2003 • 4962 Posts

This is my first post back on these boards in 1.5 years, some of you may remember me from the dawn of DS...

I feel as though Sony is barely clinging on to their position as a viable competitor in this industry, and E3 was a signal of their desperation. The "price cut" and the over-exposition of about 3 exclusives, none of which appear this year,are laughable. And the games on it DO NOT live up to the expectations of their prospective trailers. Killzone 2 looks as good as COD 4, Mass Effect, Bioshock, etc... MGS4 has yet to shown anything above average, and uncharted like an upgraded "just cause". I don;t understand how anyone is overly impressed by the games, only GT5 looks better than any 360 counterpart (we'll see if those are in game...). But, as nintendo has shown, graphics are not nearly as important as either gameplay or overall console market viability. The shelf space for PS3 games will still remain miniscule in relation to 360's library of goodness. The price has not been cut, and the games won't be there in time. Halo 3 will catapult 360 into no #1 this fall, unless the WII rly explodes into the mass market.

If you want the most bountiful bunch of next-gen games, 360 is simply the educated way to go. It has very type of game, and every variety of entertainment. The graphics are excellent, to the point where games like Killzone 2 are hailed as masterpieces while the 360 audience has already seen such power used repeadedly. Mass Effect looks incredible, Bioshock equally as amazing, and COD4 just blows everything away. Halo 3 looks as good as it can be. MS is still excellently positioned with their price vs. entertainment potential, including tons of games, lots of power, a fully developed online system, a bustling marketplace, deep communities (lol Home), and great form factor. The games are there, the sales will be there. Halo 3 will be there....

I'm a lemming, but I also always intended to buy a Wii an experience that type of gameplay. I'm seveerly dissapointed. 1:1 doesn't seem to be an option, in fact the wand is just an IR stick - a cheap camera that detects the light from the sensor bar. Nintnendo didn't want to spend for the better tech, so we're stuck with soul calibur legends becoming a "wrist-mash fest." Mario galaxy, Mp, and Ssbb ensure that the games will be good this year, and the sales will be there (rivaling the price-reduced 360 and its Halo 3), but Wii will fade nearing the eve of 2008, or if it doesn't there will be many dissatisfied customers who can't have their movements registered. While MS is bashed for their faulty hardware, they at least remedied the issue by giving 3 year warranties and reserving 1.5 billion for repairs. Nintendo's hardware is outdated, and its IR wand technology is even more outdated. The games aren't coming, no new franchises, bad 3rd party support. Online a pipe dream. This bubble will burst, the price will go to $149 before you know it. Wii Fit being the centerpiece of the conference was a spit in the face to true gamers like us. It will sell the system well though, but it puts the nail in the coffin for Wii's hopes of establishing itself as a true number 1 console for the household.

Games of the show: COD4, mass effect, GT5, metroid 3

Ragashahs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Ragashahs
Member since 2005 • 8785 Posts
PS3's is getting liar, warhawk, uncharted, heavenly sword, and Rachet as exclusives this year. read anywhere about these and there is nothing but good news for these titels. not to mention haze is timed exclusive and UT3 is console exclusive. and i think you over estimating Halo 3's power. it will be a great game however i feel that it will flop to a certain degree. halo 3 has had so much attention on it that you pretty much know every single aspect of the game. giving too much information and allowing titles to become overhyped is very dangerous, like Killzone 1.
teldath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 teldath
Member since 2007 • 504 Posts

how is a price drop a sign of desperation?

you cant complain about the console being expensive- then when they cut the price bash it.

manufacturing costs get cheaper.

- oh and Killzone 2 looks better then anygame you listed.

web966

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#4 web966
Member since 2005 • 11654 Posts
The best thing from E3 this year was Bumblebee Mario
Avatar image for ReverseCycology
ReverseCycology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ReverseCycology
Member since 2006 • 9717 Posts

You want to check out something random from E3 2007, check out this stage demo for Fatal Intertia:

http://www.gamespot.com/video/0/6174535/videoplayerpop?rgroup=e32007_live