uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59067 Posts

Seems going down wacky pink land didn't help.

Rage 2 sales significantly down on original

id's bad news.

Rage 2 has topped the UK charts, but with significantly fewer sales than the 2011 original.

It's not a huge surprise - the first Rage game failed to find much of an audience, and this very-belated sequel never seemed to drum up the same level of excitement other games from publisher Bethesda usually enjoy.

In its opening week, Rage 2 sold just a quarter of Rage 1's physical launch sales. (Rage launched here in the UK on a Friday. Rage 2 launched on a Tuesday, so had longer on sale, too.)

Meanwhile, on Steam, Rage 2 launched with a peak of 13,591 players, according to Steam Charts, but it's been downhill since then, with 2518 playing at the time of this article's publication.

Up to 50 per cent of UK console sales are now accounted for by digital, per research by GamesIndustry.biz - so, applying this generously to Rage 2, sales are only down on Rage 1 by half.

Rage 2 has topped the UK charts, but with significantly fewer sales than the 2011 original.

It's not a huge surprise - the first Rage game failed to find much of an audience, and this very-belated sequel never seemed to drum up the same level of excitement other games from publisher Bethesda usually enjoy.

In its opening week, Rage 2 sold just a quarter of Rage 1's physical launch sales. (Rage launched here in the UK on a Friday. Rage 2 launched on a Tuesday, so had longer on sale, too.)

Meanwhile, on Steam, Rage 2 launched with a peak of 13,591 players, according to Steam Charts, but it's been downhill since then, with 2518 playing at the time of this article's publication.

Up to 50 per cent of UK console sales are now accounted for by digital, per research by GamesIndustry.biz - so, applying this generously to Rage 2, sales are only down on Rage 1 by half.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

Is it wrong that I want the new Sonic racing game over Rage 2?

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#3  Edited By brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6098 Posts

Not interested in Rage 2 either. There wasn't much hype about it, but it was over hyped to begin with anyway.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22741 Posts

"Hey, yo... This ain't anotha Bombtrack!"

Anyway... Its the game no one asked for. New ip please.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44591 Posts

Judging from reviews the action is good, but as a result of its open world design, the action parts are few and far between. Maybe this is a game that could get better with DLC, if they shape it to fix the game's shortcomings.

I think lukewarm reviews played a part in sales declined, plus maybe those who played original took issue with it for whatever reason. I sure did, I thought the game ended too abruptly just when it was getting good.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34660 Posts
@Solaryellow said:

Is it wrong that I want the new Sonic racing game over Rage 2?

No. That game looks more original.

Plan to get Rage 2 when it's much cheaper myself, if I haven't lost all interest by then.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Litchie
@lamprey263 said:

plus maybe those who played original took issue with it for whatever reason. I sure did, I thought the game ended too abruptly just when it was getting good.

My main gripe with Rage 1 as well. Me at the end: "oh man this game is awesome, can't wait to see what's coming up nex- oh it's over".

If Rage 1 had like two or three more cities to visit with quests, the game would've been amazing, imo.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#8 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24954 Posts

Good game that got ruined by avalanche bland open world design and whole pink wacky wacky theme.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52441 Posts

This would've been fine 4-5 years ago.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ghosts4ever

@Litchie said:
@lamprey263 said:

plus maybe those who played original took issue with it for whatever reason. I sure did, I thought the game ended too abruptly just when it was getting good.

My main gripe with Rage 1 as well. Me at the end: "oh man this game is awesome, can't wait to see what's coming up nex- oh it's over".

If Rage 1 had like two or three more cities to visit with quests, the game would've been amazing, imo.

exact same problem is with Deus Ex mankind divided. Good game but ended after first boss and when it become interesting.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46444 Posts
@freedomfreak said:

This would've been fine 4-5 years ago.

Same with Days Gone

That_Old_Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By That_Old_Guy
Member since 2018 • 1233 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: I’m glad we got it either way. At least 60+ hours into the game and I’m still having a blast.

Days Gone that is.

Haven’t played Rage 2. Don’t think I will.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By R4gn4r0k
@that_old_guy said:

@R4gn4r0k: I’m glad we got it either way. At least 60+ hours into the game and I’m still having a blast.

Days Gone that is.

Haven’t played Rage 2. Don’t think I will.

Yeah Days Gone is freaking fantastic.

But it seems these things don't fly anymore.

Reviewers don't want 60hour open world games with busy work. Reviewers don't want sequels that are exactly the same as the previous game.

But what do gamers want?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:

But what do gamers want?

Evolution of previous game. see Doom Eternal.

dont fix if aint broken.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 R4gn4r0k
@ghosts4ever said:

dont fix if aint broken.

DOOM was a cool game. But I don't want every game to be another DOOM or Metro, like you want.

I want games to evolve too. But as we've seen a lot of the time now: evolutions like going Open World or Live Service come at a great cost too.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Ghosts4ever

@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

dont fix if aint broken.

DOOM was a cool game. But I don't want every game to be another DOOM or Metro, like you want.

I want games to evolve too. But as we've seen a lot of the time now: evolutions like going Open World or Live Service come at a great cost too.

going open world is not evolution. open world always ruined level design.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Litchie
@ghosts4ever said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@ghosts4ever said:

dont fix if aint broken.

going open world is not evolution. open world always ruined level design.

To design an open world takes more time and effort than designing levels. So most open world devs don't bother, and instead makes copy/paste fields, trees, rocks, buildings and shit. So yes, open world pretty much always ruins level design. But it's only because most developers who makes these open world games are either incompetent or lazy.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:

Good game that got ruined by avalanche bland open world design and whole pink wacky wacky theme.

I agree.

When a game becomes stagnant I can understand change-up. But just throwing shit and rhe wall and seeing what sticks. Eh. Came across as desperate, and even less original. Especially when Ubicunts where releasing a similarly vibrant color pink land right next to it - which also flopped

Rage had many problems, but it's art direction wasn't one of them.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#19  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58375 Posts

@TheEroica said:

"Hey, yo... This ain't anotha Bombtrack!"

Anyway... Its the game no one asked for. New ip please.

I'm enjoying but that is fading. I've done a few open-world activites, and now I am currently at the "OK let's get this over with" part of the experience. I experienced that with AC Odyssey and just about every open world game, to be fair, but that point was also after about 40 hours into the game. I've only spent about 10 with Rage 2.

As you said, though, I don't think anyone asked for it. I liked the original Rage, I actually replayed it a few days before Rage 2, it has held up pretty well. But prior to Rage 2 being announced I hadn't really given the game a second thought since completing it all those years ago.

Would have preferred another Mad Max game to this single-player mashup of Borderlands and Far Cry.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ghosts4ever

@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I agree.

When a game becomes stagnant I can understand change-up. But just throwing shit and rhe wall and seeing what sticks. Eh. Came across as desperate, and even less original. Especially when Ubicunts where releasing a similarly vibrant color pink land right next to it - which also flopped

Rage 1 despite being worst id software game still being fairly decent game. Rage 2 screwed up everything. because its not id game after all. having pink is not id style.

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#21 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

Never played the first game. Second game looked fun, but never landed on my radar. I am super selective with what I purchase now.

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10475 Posts
@ghosts4ever said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

But what do gamers want?

dont fix if aint broken.

i've just finished playing doom again and i forgot what a repetitive slog it turns into about a third of the way in. go from one locked down arena to the next then suddenly "demonic presence at unsafe levels, lock down in effect..." and a different combo of the same f*ckin enemies, over and over and over again. the shooting is fun. the weapons are cool. the graphics and sound are ace but f*ck me does it need some variation.

so let's hope eternal represents a real evolution of doom 2016 because that repetition definitely needs fixing

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#23 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

a couple things:

-i'm guessing a larger proportion of sales these days are digital compared to when Rage 1 came out

-on PC, the game doesn't require steam.

I'd believe its down on the original though.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 uninspiredcup

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I agree.

Rage 1 despite being worst id software game still being fairly decent game. Rage 2 screwed up everything. because its not id game after all. having pink is not id style.

Wolfenstein seems to be doing the same thing. It's diverged further and further from the source that it's now basically unrecognizable.

Hijacked by pink hair progressives and someone who watches Stranger Things on Netflix.

May god have mercy.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#25  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I guarantee in a few years people will say this game is underrated me personally I love it. The pink doesn't bother me the combat keeps me coming back because it's fun as hell.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Litchie
@warmblur said:

I guarantee in a few years people will say this game is underrated me personally I love it. The pink doesn't bother me the combat keeps me coming back because it's fun as hell.

Do people call Rage 1 underrated?

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Ghosts4ever
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I agree.

Wolfenstein seems to be doing the same thing. It's diverged further and further from the source that it's now basically unrecognizable.

Hijacked by pink hair progressives and someone who watches Stranger Things on Netflix.

May god have mercy.

Doom is still safe from Pink and "progressive" styles of Wallenstein. as long as its in id software hand.

@warmblur said:

people wont talk about this game and it will be forgotten like Rage 1. especially after the release of Doom Eternal. i dont think there will be any FPS that will be talked.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@ghosts4ever said:

I agree.

May god have mercy.

Doom is still safe from Pink and "progressive" styles of Wallenstein. as long as its in id software hand.

@warmblur said:

people wont talk about this game and it will be forgotten like Rage 1. especially after the release of Doom Eternal. i dont think there will be any FPS that will be talked.

From what I seen from Doom Eternal it looks good but it's no game changer neither is Rage 2. But from the footage we've seen of DE it just looks like they added a few stuff quite frankly it reminds more of a expansion pack with a few new weapons and levels kinda like the stuff we got from the golden era of PC gaming 98-07.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

I'm telling you people it was that stupid advert with the gurning face.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-63d1ad7651984

@Litchie said:
@warmblur said:

Do people call Rage 1 underrated?

Apparently https://www.google.com/search?q=Rage+1+underrated&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&client=firefox-b-1

I don't think it is though but I do think 2 is.