R2 vs. Gears 2 From A Non-Fanboy Semi-Casual perspective

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ugz602

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 ugz602
Member since 2003 • 439 Posts

I own a ps3 and a 360 and these two games were the big holiday season hits I was looking forward to. I beat the R2 campaign and played both the co-op and comp modes, and I also played in the beta. I also got invited into the Killzone 2 beta and I just bought GeoW 2.

For starters let me just say that I have had great fun playing Resistance 2 and as an avid player of the 1st game, I find it to be way better than R:FoM. I hated the Gears 1 multiplayer and unfortunately my worries about GeoW 2 turned out to be present in the game. GeoW 2 is a game that is not casual friendly at all, and for some reason I find it even harder to play than the first. Perhaps it's that a large population of the gamers are hardcore Gears 1 players. It's very frustrating trying to play a game where you find yourself to be hopeless and unable to do anything, and that is exactly how I feel when I play GeoW 2 online.

I am a decent R2 player and was even a decent Halo 2 player, but I can not do squat in Gears. As a semi-casual fps gamer, I don't recommend that anyone bother playing competitively on the 2nd installation of GeoW. It's still a greatly made and awesome game, but maybe you should play it alone or with a group of buddies instead of against strangers on live.

Also, as a KZ2 beta tester, I have to say that PS3 owners are in for a great 2009 because this game will deliver.

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Nagidar
Member since 2006 • 6231 Posts
So...what specifically did you like and dislike about each game? Your reasons are VERY vague.
Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nagidar
No answer? I smell BS.
hopesfall2own

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 hopesfall2own
Member since 2008 • 2714 Posts
Basically you're mad that Gears isn't easy? :?

sorry it takes skill lol :lol:
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45478 Posts
yea, lems are screwed in 2009 for sure.
Pimpshigity21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Pimpshigity21
Member since 2005 • 1896 Posts

So...what specifically did you like and dislike about each game? Your reasons are VERY vague.Nagidar

I think he does not like the game because he gets wooped online by better players. It seems he prefers a game in which he is able to kick some rear end.

He probably would not like to play basketball with kids from his local high school's basketball team during PE, but he would totally be into playing the game with his little sister and her friends after school.

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Nagidar

[QUOTE="Nagidar"]So...what specifically did you like and dislike about each game? Your reasons are VERY vague.Pimpshigity21

I think he does not like the game because he gets wooped online by better players. It seems he prefers a game in which he is able to kick some rear end.

He probably would not like to play basketball with kids from his local high school's basketball team during PE, but he would totally be into playing the game with his little sister and her friends after school.

That, or he's lying through his teeth and doesn't really own it.

ugz602

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ugz602

So...what specifically did you like and dislike about each game? Your reasons are VERY vague.Nagidar

Resistance 2 has great maps with a good balance. 60 player Skirmishes are crazy fun and 16 player modes are more organized/competitive. The weapons are fun and also well balanced IMO. I can pop into a game, get kills, and do well for myself.

Gears 2 is far too dependent on 1 shot kill weapons despite them saying how the lancers were going to be better, I still find them to be extremely weak compared the 1 shot weapons. Their cover system is still one of the best and a great thing to have, and everything people know and love about Gears of War is still present. The only one thing that I can really complain about Gears of War 2 is that like all of Epic games, it's suited towards hardcore gamers. What it all comes down to for me, is that R2 is just way more fun to play.

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Nagidar

[QUOTE="Nagidar"]So...what specifically did you like and dislike about each game? Your reasons are VERY vague.ugz602

Resistance 2 has great maps with a good balance. 60 player Skirmishes are crazy fun and 16 player modes are more organized/competitive. The weapons are fun and also well balanced IMO. I can pop into a game, get kills, and do well for myself.

Gears 2 is far too dependent on 1 shot kill weapons despite them saying how the lancers were going to be better, I still find them to be extremely weak compared the 1 shot weapons. Their cover system is still one of the best and a great thing to have, and everything people know and love about Gears of War is still present. The only one thing that I can really complain about Gears of War 2 is that like all of Epic games, it's suited towards hardcore gamers. What it all comes down to for me, is that R2 is just way more fun to play.

So, its basically what the guy above said, you're mad because you have no skill at the game, what type of weapon you use determines your strategy, if you cannot use your strategy to win, thats a skill issue, not a game issue.

ugz602

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ugz602

I think he does not like the game because he gets wooped online by better players. It seems he prefers a game in which he is able to kick some rear end.Pimpshigity21

In some ways you're right, but that's not the whole case. Regardless of what game I play, the fact that I have limited hours to play will mean that I will get my ass handed to me in any game. However in a game like R2, Halo 3, or even CoD let's say, I can still at least do something and rack up some points for myself. I don't want the game to be easy, but making it ridiculous for a semi-casual gamer isn't suited for me. Often times in GeoW 2, I will die in one hit without even being able to put up a fight.

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Nagidar

[QUOTE="Pimpshigity21"]I think he does not like the game because he gets wooped online by better players. It seems he prefers a game in which he is able to kick some rear end.ugz602

In some ways you're right, but that's not the whole case. Regardless of what game I play, the fact that I have limited hours to play will mean that I will get my ass handed to me in any game. However in a game like R2, Halo 3, or even CoD let's say, I can still at least do something and rack up some points for myself. I don't want the game to be easy, but making it ridiculous for a semi-casual gamer isn't suied for me. Often times in GeoW 2, I will die in one hit without even being able to put up a fight.

It doesn't matter what game you play, if you're playing an online game, you're going to meet people who are just better than you, again, thats not a game issue, its your issue.

CreepyBacon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 CreepyBacon
Member since 2005 • 3183 Posts

I'll give you some very good advise on how to improve your game in Gears of War: STOP trying to play it like it's Halo/Resistence.

You're right, it's not for "casuals" because it doesn't tolerate morons. You need to be smart, you can't charge in jumping about going LOLOLOLOL spraying your gun like a tool. That's far FAR more crucial in gears 2 than 1 because theres grenades hidden on walls and it's far more easier to be killed.

Take things careful, plan your attack out, don't take on more than 1 target, if you're outnumbered, back the hell off. It's tactical, not a run n gun casual FPS.

Gears>Resistence any day of the week in every department.

ugz602

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 ugz602

So, its basically what the guy above said, you're mad because you have no skill at the game, what type of weapon you use determines your strategy, if you cannot use your strategy to win, thats a skill issue, not a game issue.Nagidar

I'm not mad, I still think it's a great game but it's just not as balanced as Resistance 2 imo. It is true that part of that lies within my own skills in the game (which in Gears of War is very poor), but how exactly does one gain skill in the game if I can barely stay alive? Am I supposed to magically all of a sudden get better, while I'm dead for most of the rounds I play?

Pimpshigity21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Pimpshigity21
Member since 2005 • 1896 Posts
[QUOTE="ugz602"]

[QUOTE="Nagidar"]So...what specifically did you like and dislike about each game? Your reasons are VERY vague.Nagidar

Either that, or he is just not a hardcore player.

Resistance seems to be a just above average run of the mill shooter made for a casual audience...while the Gears series was created for those who really like and demand something extra (special) from their games (call them hardcore gamers).

So, its basically what the guy above said, you're mad because you have no skill at the game, what type of weapon you use determines your strategy, if you cannot use your strategy to win, thats a skill issue, not a game issue.

Nagidar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Nagidar

[QUOTE="Nagidar"]So, its basically what the guy above said, you're mad because you have no skill at the game, what type of weapon you use determines your strategy, if you cannot use your strategy to win, thats a skill issue, not a game issue.ugz602

I'm not mad, I still think it's an great game but it's just not as balanced as Resistance 2 imo. It is true that part of that lies within my own skills in the game (which in Gears of War is very poor), but how exactly does one gain skill in the game if I can barely stay alive? Am I supposed to magically all of a sudden get better, while I'm dead for most of the rounds I play?

Read the post above yours. Thats how.

jknight5422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 jknight5422
Member since 2003 • 1992 Posts
How can you call yourself a casual gamer & also own 2 consoles???
Grady420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Grady420
Member since 2008 • 430 Posts

How can you call yourself a casual gamer & also own 2 consoles???jknight5422

Bc he has the money?

hip-hop-cola2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hip-hop-cola2
Member since 2007 • 2454 Posts
You guys are pathetick "lol noob, got no skill". Grow up ffs. He has a VERY valid point. Who wants to buys games where they need to practice for months before they can have fun, the most popular multiplayer games are fun for all.