"The Making of God of War III" - DF article

This topic is locked from further discussion.

sayonara89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 sayonara89
Member since 2009 • 1985 Posts

The Making of God of War III

"Camera is a crucial element to God of War, and the fact that the player isn't in control means that for some of the puzzling stages, it's important for the scripts to include an overall view of the surrounding area. In this case, an on-rails camera provides the goods, and is also used to good effect to get the best possible viewpoints on some of the game's most spectacular levels. The game sets out its stall in an enormously effective manner in the very first level, which pits Kratos up against the god of the oceans, Poseidon, while circumnavigating Gaia - a titanic figure as tall as the Sears Tower, over 1400 feet high."

"Perhaps part of the solution comes from the data streaming system running continuously in the background. Once you're in gameplay, God of War III has no pauses for loading whatsoever, and runs with no mandatory hard disk installation, in common with most Sony first-party games. Everything is being streamed from BD to system memory in the background."

"In terms of post-processing effects, the game is given an additional boost in realism thanks to an impressive implementation of motion blur. Superficially, it's a similar system to that seen in previous technological showcases like Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Killzone 2, and helps to smooth some of the judder caused by a frame-rate that can vary between anything from 30 frames per second to 60.

Most games that implement motion blur do so just on a "camera" basis - that is, the whole scene is processed - an effect that of variable effectiveness in terms of achieving a realistic look.

According to Sony Santa Monica's Ken Feldman, motion blur is calculated not just on the camera, but on an individual object and inner object basis too."

"Another key effect in producing a filmic look to God of War III comes from development of new anti-aliasing technology. Removing the jaggies associated with videogaming obviously helps to create a more pleasing appearance.

Initially the game used the RSX chip to carry out a traditional 2x multisampling anti-aliasing effect. This, combined with the game's lack of high-contrast edges, produced an extremely clean look in last year's E3 demo. For the final game, the Sony Santa Monica team implemented a solution that goes way beyond that.

According to director of technology Tim Moss, God of War III worked with the Sony technology group in the UK to produce an edge-smoothing technique for the game that the developers call MLAA, or morphological anti-aliasing. Indeed, Moss's colleague Christer Ericson took us to task on the specifics of MLAA a few months back in this DF blog post, revealing that the team has put extensive research into this in search of their own solution.

The specifics of the implementation are still unknown at this time (though Ken Feldman suggests it "goes beyond" the papers Ericson spoke about in the DF piece) but the bottom line is that the final result in God of War III is simply phenomenal: aliasing is all but eliminated and the sub-pixel jitter typically associated with this technique has been massively reduced compared to other implementations we've seen."

"The custom anti-aliasing solution is also another example of how PlayStation 3 developers are using the Cell CPU as a parallel graphics chip working in tandem with the RSX. As Richard Lemarchand discussed in his Uncharted 2 post-mortem, the basic theory is all about moving tasks typically performed by the graphics chip over the Cell. Post-processing effects in particular work well being ported across.

The more flexible nature of the CPU means that while such tasks can be more computationally expensive, you get a higher-quality result. The increased latency incurred can be reduced by parallelising across multiple SPUs.

In the case of God of War III, any given frame typically takes between 16ms and 30ms to render, give or take a millisecond or two. The original 2x multisampling AA solution took a big chunk of rendering time, at 5ms. Now, the hugely more impressive MLAA algorithm takes a total of 20ms of CPU time. However, it's running on five SPUs, meaning that overall latency is a mere 4ms. So the final result is actually faster, and that previous 5ms of GPU time can be repurposed for other tasks."

"Where there is light, there is a shadow. Or at least there should be. On the majority of videogames, shadowing tech is fairly basic. Producing realistic shadows is computationally expensive, hence we get a range of ugly artifacts as a result: serrated edges that look ugly up close, or cascade shadowmaps that transition in quality in stages right before your eyes.

God of War III stands out in this regard simply because you don't tend to notice the shadows. They're realistic. The human eye is drawn to elements that stick out like a sore thumb, and that includes shadows.

The result is subtle and it works beautifully. Sony Santa Monica programmer Ben Diamand spent around three years working mostly on the deferred shadowing system employed in God of War III, that works beautifully in eliminating the artifacts and blending dynamically-generated shadows along with others that are pre-baked into the scenery."

"Sony Santa Monica's artistic and technical achievements are clearly considerable, but what is truly impressive is the team's commitment to continually refining and optimising code, right up until the very closing stages of development. It's an impressive juxtaposition of the team's passion in getting the very best product out there: Ben Diamand can spend over three years perfecting his shadowing tech, but at the same time, right up to the creation of the final gold master, the team was still optimising performance.

According to director of technology Tom Moss, in the last week of development, after the first review copies had been dispatched, programmer Cedric Perthuis continued refining code, achieving impressive performance gains to the tune of around eight per cent for the final game."

"It's games like this, along with Uncharted 2: Among Thieves and Killzone 2, that give the platform holder ownership of the bleeding edge of console gaming technology in the current generation.

It also makes a very convincing argument that there's plenty of life left in the system yet. God of War III is just the first PS3 title from Sony Santa Monica, and already director Stig Asmussen is hinting that we can expect "a lot more" from the current God of War III engine."

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 190

#2 Dead-Memories
Member since 2008 • 6587 Posts

if only the game had a sensible plot to hold all of its prowess together.

RavenLoud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 RavenLoud
Member since 2009 • 2874 Posts

Dead-Memories
Lol, I find that to be common this gen, where devs seem to spend less energy on story/gameplay/characters and more on graphix. On topic: I would like to know (in short) what are the differences between the MLAA used in GOWIII and the "other implementations" (the Saboteur?) they were talking about. Also, I'm sure that they used the Cell for other graphical tasks. How do they do it when 5 SPUs are used for AA? (sorry for my noobiness)
patriots7672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 patriots7672
Member since 2008 • 3249 Posts

Dead-Memories

If everything made total sense that would be boring also.

akbar13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 akbar13
Member since 2009 • 2186 Posts

Dead-Memories
But at least the soundtrack has DREAM THEATER!!!!!!!!!!
sayonara89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 sayonara89

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

RavenLoud

Lol, I find that to be common this gen, where devs seem to spend less energy on story/gameplay/characters and more on graphix. On topic: I would like to know (in short) what are the differences between the MLAA used in GOWIII and the "other implementations" (the Saboteur?) they were talking about. Also, I'm sure that they used the Cell for other graphical tasks. How do they do it when 5 SPUs are used for AA? (sorry for my noobiness)

Small percent SPU's power is used for that ;)

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Dead-Memories
[QUOTE="patriots7672"]

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

SPOILER Perhaps for you, but I'm still left wondering why at the end athena mentioned that Zeus killed Cronus out of fear, when he was clearly a boss fight in the game :?
Avatar image for batman_is_aweso
batman_is_aweso

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 batman_is_aweso
Member since 2009 • 2762 Posts

great read thanx for posting

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Bus-A-Bus
Member since 2009 • 5089 Posts

Amazing article,SM is great,but i still think GG is the best when it comes to technicals(behind Crytek,Id and Epic).And Sayonarea 20ms across 5 spus is not small number in any case,its quite lot.Its great though that they have left some so they can do it on spus but 20 ms is quite lot considering your frame has to be rendered undre 33ms on 30 fps game.

N3xus9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 N3xus9
Member since 2004 • 566 Posts

So why is this in System Wars?

Why not just post it in the PS3 forum or blog it?

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

akbar13

not the most sensible band either well i think.Purely cause Myung and Petrucci are just technical beasts when it comes to playing.Learning a dream theater song is like learning to play a bloody sport from what i have been told xD.

sayonara89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sayonara89

Amazing article,SM is great,but i still think GG is the best when it comes to technicals(behind Crytek,Id and Epic).And Sayonarea 20ms across 5 spus is not small number in any case,its quite lot.Its great though that they have left some so they can do it on spus but 20 ms is quite lot considering your frame has to be rendered undre 33ms on 30 fps game.

Bus-A-Bus

"Now, the hugely more impressive MLAA algorithm takes a total of 20ms of CPU time. However, it's running on five SPUs, meaning that overall latency is a mere 4ms. So the final result is actually faster, and that previous 5ms of GPU time can be repurposed for other tasks"

ID don't show anything special after Quake engine, I really must see Rage running on consoles to judge their recent work :) Epic created nice engine but games on UE3 looks outdated now. Crytek is on the good way to create the best multiplatform engine of all times :)

Kruiz_Bathory

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#13 Kruiz_Bathory
Member since 2009 • 4765 Posts
[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

akbar13

urg.... on topic: Game was good, but I felt a little disappointing with some parts of the story and NG+
Valiant_Rebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Valiant_Rebel
Member since 2009 • 4197 Posts

I would have liked Santa Montica to work more on enviroment exploration and interaction than anything else besides combat, personally. I think that at least 3 of the areas in the game could have been much more open.

Sully28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Sully28
Member since 2003 • 5097 Posts

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

RavenLoud

I think its just implemented in GOW 3 better. In the sabteur the jaggies were not as noticeable as in most games, but you could still notice them. In GOW3 they are very hard to notice from my experience.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts

[QUOTE="patriots7672"]

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

Dead-Memories

SPOILER Perhaps for you, but I'm still left wondering why at the end athena mentioned that Zeus killed Cronus out of fear, when he was clearly a boss fight in the game :?

play GOW2 or go to igns GOW in 5 minutes! its easily explained!:shock: there really isnt any plot holes if you played all 3 games

Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bus-A-Bus

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

sayonara89

"Now, the hugely more impressive MLAA algorithm takes a total of 20ms of CPU time. However, it's running on five SPUs, meaning that overall latency is a mere 4ms. So the final result is actually faster, and that previous 5ms of GPU time can be repurposed for other tasks"

ID don't show anything special after Quake engine, I really must see Rage running on consoles to judge their recent work :) Epic created nice engine but games on UE3 looks outdated now. Crytek is on the good way to create the best multiplatform engine of all times :)

Well thats what im saying,20ms across 5 spus.look it up on b3d if you want.They could choose to use one spu,it would still take 20 ms on one,but they probably havent had left 20 ms on one so they spread it across all 5.

New id tech 5 is amazing,Rage runs 60fps,open world on all platforms but he already said that Doom 4 will look 3x better even if i dont believe him that ;)

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/doom-4-three-times-rage-visual-quality

If Sony or MS bought Epic to make custom engine for one console,believe me they would deliver,its just that UE3 is first this gen engine,also middleware so its not really realistic to expect from them something like ND or Crytek :D

Crytek will deliver the most impressive game on consoles,of course you wont believe me because im crytek fanboy,but you cant really say anything different when those guys brought real time GI on consoles,destructible environments and as they said some scenes will go to 400 lightsources duo to deferred lightning :D

But SM delivered non the less,amazing looking game :)MLAA is really interesting solution,hope that more titles use it.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Dead-Memories

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"][QUOTE="patriots7672"]

rogelio22

play GOW2 or go to igns GOW in 5 minutes! its easily explained!:shock: there really isnt any plot holes if you played all 3 games

Cronos wasn't in GOW 2, champ. Only his power :?

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

i didn't play the game yet, but what the series is really missing is some RPGs elements like optional bosses, collectable items (could be there but i dun know), unlockable ( Bayonetta has massive amounts of unlockables) ........... also a huge mission mode like NG's is very welcomed as well.

Hack and slash games should concentrate on what they do best, there is no need to explore in a hack and slash game, what we really need is battles, different sizes, different shapes :D , more weapons and techniques ...etc .

NAPK1NS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 NAPK1NS
Member since 2004 • 14870 Posts
Awesome game. Thanks for posting this, really goes to show all the hard work that went into making this. I've been watching all the making-of stuff and it's shocking how hard the team worked on every little detail.
sayonara89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sayonara89

[QUOTE="sayonara89"]

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

Bus-A-Bus

Well thats what im saying,20ms across 5 spus.look it up on b3d if you want.They could choose to use one spu,it would still take 20 ms on one,but they probably havent had left 20 ms on one so they spread it across all 5.

Grandmaster is active on B3D, he most likely saw that disscussion.

New id tech 5 is amazing,Rage runs 60fps,open world on all platforms but he already said that Doom 4 will look 3x better even if i dont believe him that ;)

Show me Rage running on consoles, right now we only saw PC screenshots and gameplays, game is 60 fps so I don't expect anything beyond Bad Company 2 ;)

If Sony or MS bought Epic to make custom engine for one console,believe me they would deliver,its just that UE3 is first this gen engine,also middleware so its not really realistic to expect from them something like ND or Crytek :D

Crytek is doing the same, what's the diffrence? :P

Crytek will deliver the most impressive game on consoles,of course you wont believe me because im crytek fanboy,but you cant really say anything different when those guys brought real time GI on consoles,destructible environments and as they said some scenes will go to 400 lightsources duo to deferred lightning :D

But SM delivered non the less,amazing looking game :)MLAA is really interesting solution,hope that more titles use it.

I'm still waiting for proper gameplay of Crysis 2, not tech demo of the engine to judge game graphics, tech demos often show stuff that isn' present in the game ;)

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
[QUOTE="akbar13"][QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

Dream theater had one of the worst tracks, not as bad as opeth though
Bus-A-Bus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bus-A-Bus

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

[QUOTE="sayonara89"]

sayonara89

It means that across 5 spus it takes 20ms,latency is not how much they need to render it.It shows that every spu would take 4ms but when they are doing other stuff on spus one may stall so others will pick where that left,and in the end its 20 ms when you take all spus in account.

Show me Rage running on consoles, right now we only saw PC screenshots and gameplays, game is 60 fps so I don't expect anything beyond Bad Company 2 ;)

Now there is one video on youtube,i have no time to search it but it shows all 3 platforms running side by side,ill pm you when i find it ;)

NO NO!! :D Its different,basically why BC2 looks a bit meh is because consoles have to texture ALOT of area thus their texture budget is low,but whole Id tech 5 and Rage use megatextures,so whole level is one texture streamed from drive or hdd,thuse no texture budget,they can use alot hi res textures then BC2 ;)

Difference is that Cryengine 3 is just now released(two weeks ago) and its most advanced engine there is,and UE3 was developed by 2004 :)

I'm still waiting for proper gameplay of Crysis 2, not tech demo of the engine to judge game graphics, tech demos often show stuff that isn' present in the game ;)

Yes but those tech demos that were presented in GDC is going to be in Crysis 2,and i bet those shoots are console version,they are selling engine and they are showing other devs what they can do with engine on consoles,they cant lie.Other thing is when devs show new engine and run it on PC and then console people think that will run on cosnoles,Crytek showed what they are running on consoles.

razgriz_101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 razgriz_101
Member since 2007 • 16875 Posts

darkspineslayer

If opeth wrote a song for GOW 3 as an opeth fanboy i am inclined to throw this on my MP3 player regardless.

BlackPlague1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 BlackPlague1
Member since 2007 • 260 Posts

[QUOTE="rogelio22"]

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"] SPOILER Perhaps for you, but I'm still left wondering why at the end athena mentioned that Zeus killed Cronus out of fear, when he was clearly a boss fight in the game :? Dead-Memories

END OF GOD OF WAR 2: Kratos goes back in time to the Great War and brings all the Titans back to the present. Thats how Chronos is there.

rogelio22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 rogelio22
Member since 2006 • 2477 Posts

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

[QUOTE="rogelio22"] play GOW2 or go to igns GOW in 5 minutes! its easily explained!:shock: there really isnt any plot holes if you played all 3 games

BlackPlague1

END OF GOD OF WAR 2: Kratos goes back in time to the Great War and brings all the Titans back to the present. Thats how Chronos is there.

thanx BP1!!! he thought i was dumb or something ? HAHA!:lol: anyways DM i can see why you didnt like the story in the GOW games its because you probably didnt understand them! ive got a ? did you understand the ending of GOW3????

sayonara89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 sayonara89

[QUOTE="sayonara89"]

[QUOTE="Bus-A-Bus"]

It means that across 5 spus it takes 20ms,latency is not how much they need to render it.It shows that every spu would take 4ms but when they are doing other stuff on spus one may stall so others will pick where that left,and in the end its 20 ms when you take all spus in account.

I'm confused right now :?

"AA on the cpu is MLAA Morphological Antialising. We saved 5-6 miliseconds by moving it on to the cpu's. Many props to our coder Cedric for making this happen and it looks way better!"

http://forums.godofwar.com/t5/God-of-War-III-Discussion/Developers-on-Forums-Right-Here/td-p/30061/page/14

"The #gow3 AA technique saved 5ms from the GPU, costs ~20ms on 5 SPU's (~4ms Latency), its very pretty and only on #ps3 ;-P"

Now there is one video on youtube,i have no time to search it but it shows all 3 platforms running side by side,ill pm you when i find it ;)

NO NO!! :D Its different,basically why BC2 looks a bit meh is because consoles have to texture ALOT of area thus their texture budget is low,but whole Id tech 5 and Rage use megatextures,so whole level is one texture streamed from drive or hdd,thuse no texture budget,they can use alot hi res textures then BC2 ;)

Find it :)

Difference is that Cryengine 3 is just now released(two weeks ago) and its most advanced engine there is,and UE3 was developed by 2004 :)

Yes but those tech demos that were presented in GDC is going to be in Crysis 2,and i bet those shoots are console version,they are selling engine and they are showing other devs what they can do with engine on consoles,they cant lie.Other thing is when devs show new engine and run it on PC and then console people think that will run on cosnoles,Crytek showed what they are running on consoles.

Yeah but I need gameplay from game level not specially created for tech demo, maybe they will show something on E3 :)

Bus-A-Bus

akbar13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 akbar13
[QUOTE="darkspineslayer"][QUOTE="akbar13"][QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

Raw Dog is amazing.
akbar13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 akbar13

razgriz_101

not the most sensible band either well i think.Purely cause Myung and Petrucci are just technical beasts when it comes to playing.Learning a dream theater song is like learning to play a bloody sport from what i have been told xD.

Mike Portnoy and Jordan Rudess are also technical beasts.
Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Dead-Memories

[QUOTE="BlackPlague1"]

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"] Cronos wasn't in GOW 2, champ. Only his power :?

rogelio22

thanx BP1!!! he thought i was dumb or something ? HAHA!:lol: anyways DM i can see why you didnt like the story in the GOW games its because you probably didnt understand them! ive got a ? did you understand the ending of GOW3????

the plot was still rushed and thoughtless in GOW 3 though imo,

salxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 salxis
Member since 2009 • 4280 Posts

[QUOTE="rogelio22"]

[QUOTE="BlackPlague1"]

Dead-Memories

What's thoughtless about it, it explained Zue's motive throughout the trilogy, it explains why we don't see any modern Greek/Roman mythologies (which is what SM tried to do with GoW trilogy) and it gave closure to all the characters. IMO

roddollente

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 roddollente
Member since 2008 • 1543 Posts

SPOILER Perhaps for you, but I'm still left wondering why at the end athena mentioned that Zeus killed Cronus out of fear, when he was clearly a boss fight in the game :? Dead-Memories

SPOILER: watch the ending again on youtube. Athena didn'tsay Zeus killed Cronos. she just said it's fear that Zeus wants to kill Cronos. also, play the first two games so you'll understand the plot better. besides, Zeus didn't kill Cronos in the first two games, nor was it ever mentioned. in GoW1 Cronos was in the Desert of Lost Souls or something like that, and you see him as well. in GoW2 he wasn't there, but in GoW3 Cronos said he was banished to Tartarus because Kratos opened the box. seriously, dude. stop trolling and play the game. and listen attentively. turn subtitles on if you have to.

Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Dead-Memories
[QUOTE="salxis"]

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"]

[QUOTE="rogelio22"] thanx BP1!!! he thought i was dumb or something ? HAHA!:lol: anyways DM i can see why you didnt like the story in the GOW games its because you probably didnt understand them! ive got a ? did you understand the ending of GOW3????

What's thoughtless about it, it explained Zue's motive throughout the trilogy, it explains why we don't see any modern Greek/Roman mythologies (which is what SM tried to do with GoW trilogy) and it gave closure to all the characters. IMO

when compared to the first two, there aren't nearly as many smooth plot transistencies. but honestly, did you think that ending was fit for such a venerable series?
salxis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 salxis
Member since 2009 • 4280 Posts
[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"][QUOTE="salxis"]

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"] the plot was still rushed and thoughtless in GOW 3 though imo,

when compared to the first two, there aren't nearly as many smooth plot transistencies. but honestly, did you think that ending was fit for such a venerable series?

Personally I do, sure it would be interesting if we could explore the world in that state but it's also a very fitted and epic ending to the trilogy, [spoiler] He gave up the temptation offered by Athena and chose to restore the world + give us the power of hope + let the people live out their own lives instead of having a bunch of Gods ruling over them. Kratos finally found inner peace during the last battle, he could've easily become the new God of War again, but instead, he chose to sacrifice himself. [/spoiler]
Dead-Memories

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dead-Memories

[QUOTE="Dead-Memories"] SPOILER Perhaps for you, but I'm still left wondering why at the end athena mentioned that Zeus killed Cronus out of fear, when he was clearly a boss fight in the game :? roddollente

SPOILER: watch the ending again on youtube. Athena didn'tsay Zeus killed Cronos. she just said it's fear that Zeus wants to kill Cronos. also, play the first two games so you'll understand the plot better. besides, Zeus didn't kill Cronos in the first two games, nor was it ever mentioned. in GoW1 Cronos was in the Desert of Lost Souls or something like that, and you see him as well. in GoW2 he wasn't there, but in GoW3 Cronos said he was banished to Tartarus because Kratos opened the box. seriously, dude. stop trolling and play the game. and listen attentively. turn subtitles on if you have to.

Can you link me the vid that has the dialogue please?