Quantum Break early impressions?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By dynamitecop
Member since 2004 • 6395 Posts

I've got to say, this is one of the most technically impressive games I've ever played or seen, the amount of stuff that's going on is quite remarkable and it's beautiful even in spite of its resolution pitfall, but honestly it doesn't affect anything and still comes out looking fantastic.

Quantum Break is what I would call an inconsistently beautiful game, at least on Xbox One, the PC version is still not available yet. At times it looks normal, still good but nothing that stands out as something overtly impressive, then at other times which is more commonplace it's absolutely astonishing, you just kind of stop and stare, it looks incredible. In terms of the game itself, it's quite enthralling and the story and dialog so far is top notch, it starts out a bit slow which gets you comfortable with what's going on and how to control things, and then after that it's full speed ahead. What Peter Brown said about the weapon controls and movement being sloppy is true, but only until you get used to what you're doing, after about 15 minutes it all feels fine and familiar, it starts out foreign but that doesn't last as I suspected.

When you get comfortable with your time powers you really do feel like a god, but not unstoppable, I've gotten myself killed several times already being arrogant and thinking I can juggernaut through anything, that's a big nope. I'm going to tell you right off this is not a cover shooter, the only times I've been using cover is to recover from getting my ass shot off and to reload if I'm about to die, aside from that it's time powers and bouncing around the environment taking out the trash. The platforming hasn't been a big deal, it's pretty generic, you know do this to get up there, or use your powers to manipulate something so you can bypass it, but all in all I haven't found it to be negative or detract from anything, it helps with the pacing.

The TV show portion so far has been great and the production values seem pretty high, it really does humanize the characters and makes you care about what's going on in the game on a completely different and new level, it's a strange feeling but I find it very welcome. It's nice playing a game for 90 minutes or so and getting a break but still being a part of what's going on, I grabbed a few beers and let it take me for the ride.

I'm going to say flat out, those 4/10 reviews, I don't care what they say, they're completely non-objective, absolutely asinine in every possible degree from what I've played so far. Scores like that are reserved for really screwed up garbage, junk, the worst of the worst type of games and stuff that is absolutely broken, there's no objective means of reaching a score like that for a game like this. Now I can understand this not being everyone's bag and that's fine, we all like different stuff, but to tear something down which all around works and quite proficiently, its just someones personal bias clouding their ability to objectively rate something for what it's doing right even if they don't personally find it to their liking, you should still be able to appreciate it regardless.

All in all I am impressed, it's something new, it feels fresh and what they set out to do works quite well, it's not perfect but I'm really enjoying it and I'm going to jump back in for some more.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#2  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17805 Posts

Still waiting for it to appear on the Windows Store. I don't want to buy it on XB1 and get the PC code from there. I am only interested in the PC version and I want to make that clear to MS when I buy it.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 dynamitecop

@BassMan said:

Still waiting for it to appear on the Windows Store. I don't want to buy it on XB1 and get the PC code from there. I am only interested in the PC version and I want to make it clear to MS when I buy it.

That will probably be like a 10AM PST type of thing I'd assume, if that's what you feel you should do then I can't find any fault in that, you want to send some kind of message and that's okay.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Will play after work.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

Yeah I'm loving it so far... looks and feels great. Can't wait to play more tomorrow.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

@freedomfreak: Lucky you, I just finished a 12hr shift and have no energy to play the game even though I want to :(

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Finland is UTC +3

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5876 Posts

Thanks for early impressions, I'll be on it later tonight.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dynamitecop

@tdkmillsy said:

Thanks for early impressions, I'll be on it later tonight.

Not a problem man, I hope you enjoy it as much as I am.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dynamitecop

@sts106mat said:

finished chapter 3 last night. chapter 2 was a little bit slow, but act 3 & the show were both a step up.

Got the junction of act 3 and then episode 3 of the show to watch tonight before it get into part 4.

I'm doing what you're doing, I'm taking it sectionally, this is something I want to savor and not just blow through.

Wickerman777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Wickerman777
Member since 2013 • 2164 Posts

I'm interested in the game. Not saying I'm interested enough to pay $60 for it but then again I do that with hardly anything. Once I can pick it up for around $20 I'll get it. I still suspect that the primary reason the game is averaging only a little under 80% is because it isn't open-world and hundreds of hours in length. Nowadays around an 8 is the ceiling for games of this length it seems.

dynamitecop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 dynamitecop

@Wickerman777 said:

I'm interested in the game. Not saying I'm interested enough to pay $60 for it but then again I do that with hardly anything. Once I can pick it up for around $20 I'll get it. I still suspect that the primary reason the game is averaging only a little under 80% is because it isn't open-world and hundreds of hours in length. Nowadays around an 8 is the ceiling for games of this length most of the time.

Which is rather unfortunate because there's nothing wrong with linear games, absolutely nothing.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online
Member since 2014 • 56081 Posts

I woke up 2:00am just to play Quantum Break before heading out. I gotta say that I was very impressive what Remedy has done with QB. The tied-in t.v segments isn't all that bad and the choices do in fact impact both game and t.v so making you're choices very complicating. I came this very close to picking the choice if I wanted to kill the girl who you meet during your first play but ended up picking the PR approach so that's pretty much what I got out of it and it shows every choice does effects the t.v show and game. The combat is very generic, it's not Gears cover base shooting that you would expect for a 3rd person shooter, my issue is the pistol has unlimited ammo and breaking the immersion of the game and Uncharted does it better when your low on ammo. there is no melee which is lame, the powers of bending time is really cool but could have done better in my opinion.

The actors on the t.v makes this game more interesting, Lance Reddick is one of my favorite actors so having him in QB makes it more fun to watch. I'm on Act 2 atm so I will continue more so later on today.

All in all, I gotta say that QB get's a 7/10 now that I played the game in the palm of my hands.

I haven't gotten my PC codes so yet and will try out the PC version probably after when I'm finish playing my first playthrough on Xbox One.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Do MS not actually want to sell this game on PC? All that's available on the App store are sound tracks and albums.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@GarGx1 said:

Do MS not actually want to sell this game on PC? All that's available on the App store are sound tracks and albums.

The store page on Xbox Live states that the code for the PC is going out this week. So anytime after April 5th. Meaning the PC version should be available this week for windows 10.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Howmakewood

@GarGx1: apparently the win store needs an update and it should become available in bit over 2 hours

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@davillain-:

There actually is melee, you'll get it with Time Rush and every single animation is different for that.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#20  Edited By kvally
Member since 2014 • 8445 Posts

@dynamitecop said:

I've got to say, this is one of the most technically impressive games I've ever played or seen, the amount of stuff that's going on is quite remarkable and it's beautiful even in spite of its resolution pitfall, but honestly it doesn't affect anything and still comes out looking fantastic.

Quantum Break is what I would call an inconsistently beautiful game, at least on Xbox One, the PC version is still not available yet. At times it looks normal, still good but nothing that stands out as something overtly impressive, then at other times which is more commonplace it's absolutely astonishing, you just kind of stop and stare, it looks incredible. In terms of the game itself, it's quite enthralling and the story and dialog so far is top notch, it starts out a bit slow which gets you comfortable with what's going on and how to control things, and then after that it's full speed ahead. What Peter Brown said about the weapon controls and movement being sloppy is true, but only until you get used to what you're doing, after about 15 minutes it all feels fine and familiar, it starts out foreign but that doesn't last as I suspected.

When you get comfortable with your time powers you really do feel like a god, but not unstoppable, I've gotten myself killed several times already being arrogant and thinking I can juggernaut through anything, that's a big nope. I'm going to tell you right off this is not a cover shooter, the only times I've been using cover is to recover from getting my ass shot off and to reload if I'm about to die, aside from that it's time powers and bouncing around the environment taking out the trash. The platforming hasn't been a big deal, it's pretty generic, you know do this to get up there, or use your powers to manipulate something so you can bypass it, but all in all I haven't found it to be negative or detract from anything, it helps with the pacing.

The TV show portion so far has been great and the production values seem pretty high, it really does humanize the characters and makes you care about what's going on in the game on a completely different and new level, it's a strange feeling but I find it very welcome. It's nice playing a game for 90 minutes or so and getting a break but still being a part of what's going on, I grabbed a few beers and let it take me for the ride.

I'm going to say flat out, those 4/10 reviews, I don't care what they say, they're completely non-objective, absolutely asinine in every possible degree from what I've played so far. Scores like that are reserved for really screwed up garbage, junk, the worst of the worst type of games and stuff that is absolutely broken, there's no objective means of reaching a score like that for a game like this. Now I can understand this not being everyone's bag and that's fine, we all like different stuff, but to tear something down which all around works and quite proficiently, its just someones personal bias clouding their ability to objectively rate something for what it's doing right even if they don't personally find it to their liking, you should still be able to appreciate it regardless.

All in all I am impressed, it's something new, it feels fresh and what they set out to do works quite well, it's not perfect but I'm really enjoying it and I'm going to jump back in for some more.

Agreed, so far so good. Game looks amazing. I am loving the story, the animations, and the controls are spot on so far....though a bit finicky at times. I took about a dozen screenshots or so to bring to this forum. However, stupid upload studio won't let me save them or upload them yet. I really don't understand why upload studio has to be such a piece of s*** sometimes. I never have this issue with my PS4.

Is everyone looking for the collectibles? Did anyone see the Alan Wake Returns footage at the beginning of the game....my hair on my arms stood on end with excitement

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

@howmakewood: Thanks I'll keep an eye out for it updating later on

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#24 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

Thanks for the early impressions, i'm sure that i'll enjoy it as much as you did since it's a Remedy game which i have a knack for.

About the low scores, bear in mind that MC is not a reliable source at all, one reason being they transform the scores from scales like 5 stars to a 10/10 scale which is stupid, for instance Giant Bomb gave this game 2/5 which is 4/10 on MC but the definitions are not the same at all.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@Salt_The_Fries said:

@davillain-:

There actually is melee, you'll get it with Time Rush and every single animation is different for that.

@sts106mat said:

@davillain-: when you get a couple more hours in and the other weapons, with some new time powers, the combat gets a great deal better.

I know already that i will miss the time manipulation powers when i play UC4

Thanks for the heads up. Normally when an enemy is close, I prefer to take them out in melee so it's good to know that there's melee in this game. I assume there's no stealth later on right?

@howmakewood said:

@GarGx1: apparently the win store needs an update and it should become available in bit over 2 hours

That may have explain why I haven't receive my PC codes yet, thanks for the heads up.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@kvally said:

Agreed, so far so good. Game looks amazing. I am loving the story, the animations, and the controls are spot on so far....though a bit finicky at times. I took about a dozen screenshots or so to bring to this forum. However, stupid upload studio won't let me save them or upload them yet. I really don't understand why upload studio has to be such a piece of s*** sometimes. I never have this issue with my PS4.

Is everyone looking for the collectibles? Did anyone see the Alan Wake Returns footage at the beginning of the game....my hair on my arms stood on end with excitement

Are you talking about the t.v inside the tent? I saw glimpse of Alan Wake early on. And speaking of Alan Wake, were's my damn free Alan Wake game MS?

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kvally

@davillain- said:
@kvally said:

Are you talking about the t.v inside the tent? I saw glimpse of Alan Wake early on. And speaking of Alan Wake, were's my damn free Alan Wake game MS?

Yup, that is it!

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#28 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38034 Posts

Interesting. I'll be on after school. I'll see then for myself.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44058 Posts

GS X1 scores = lol. :P

Anyhooie, I'll get to try it for the first time later tonight but yeah, sounds great so far. :D

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Im digging it so far. It looks great for the most part, the acting is good, the gameplay is fine. So far there isn't anything remarkable about the game but its a good solid experience. I really like when you dash and all the shit in the environments goes flying everywhere

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

MS is annoying man, just give me my damn PC code already.....like why is this shit so difficult.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Howmakewood

It's available on win store now and it seems to be 70€, MS isn't kidding with the console experience

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts
@chikenfriedrice said:

MS is annoying man, just give me my damn PC code already.....like why is this shit so difficult.

Didn't they say it'be given out 7-11 days after release?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#36 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I have it installed on the Xbox One, wondering when they will send me my PC code though. Waiting on it and Green Man Gaming to give me my Enter the Gungeon Key.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

So movie games ok now?

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@Juub1990: God I hope not, that will annoy me even more. I do not want to start playing the X1 version, I preordered this for the PC code and the other 2 free Alan Wake games.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

I'm picking up game tonight, look forward to playing a chapter or 2!

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@aroxx_ab said:

So movie games ok now?

its not a movie game. its a tv show game and tv shows are vastly superior to movies. thank you MS

hello505

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By hello505
Member since 2013 • 523 Posts

It'll be a cult classic, just like Alan Wake and Max Payne games before. Remedy is underappreciated by critic assholes, rightly worshipped by gamers.

People will soon be CLAMOURATING for a Quantum Break 2, just like Alan Wake 2 now.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@aroxx_ab said:

So movie games ok now?

T.V series, not movie.

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 kvally

I am so busy in Act 1 looking at everything and getting collectibles, I have yet to see the TV show. So much for a TV game.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

@hello505 said:

It'll be a cult classic, just like Alan Wake and Max Payne games before. Remedy is underappreciated by critic assholes, rightly worshipped by gamers.

People will soon be CLAMOURATING for a Quantum Break 2, just like Alan Wake 2 now.

Max Payne 1 and 2 got stellar reviews when they came out. Nice try though.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DaVillain  Moderator  Online

@kvally said:

I am so busy in Act 1 looking at everything and getting collectibles, I have yet to see the TV show. So much for a TV game.

Not gonna give too much away but when you get to act 2 at the very start, pick you're choices wisely cause it get's really good and the choice you'll make will impact the actual game flow as you go so get ready for that. As far as collectibles goes, I been trying to scavenger those as well.

UnrealGunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 UnrealGunner
Member since 2015 • 1073 Posts

Wow you guys actually spent money on this game it's a rip off

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kvally

@davillain- said:
@kvally said:

Not gonna give too much away but when you get to act 2 at the very start, pick you're choices wisely cause it get's really good and the choice you'll make will impact the actual game flow as you go so get ready for that. As far as collectibles goes, I been trying to scavenger those as well.

Thanks, I am looking forward to it. I will not take those choices lightly.

@unrealgunner said:

Wow you guys actually spent money on this game it's a rip off

How long did it take for you to finish the game?

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By Howmakewood

This is quite the disgrace, this is not what 1440p should look like:

kvally

Forum Posts

Wiki Points