Quake Champion beta screenshots looks like Doom, 12 champions confirmed, Gameplay looks good

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By BlueEyedCasva
Member since 2015 • 599 Posts

Its using the same engine as Doom so not surprised.

It might boast character abilities, but it’s definitely still a Quake game. Whatever cues id Software have taken from the unrivalled success of Blizzard’s Overwatch, they’ve been subtle about it - at launch Quake Champions will launch with 12 characters, each one boasting a primary and passive ability as well as distinct armour, health and speed ratings. But that’s where the comparison ends: Quake Champions still clings on to relics from the FPS genre’s past like weapon and armour pickups, high-speed movement and jump pads. Movement and precision reign supreme in Quake Champions, just as they did back in the original.

The focus in each multiplayer match is always divided up equally between scrambling for vital pickups, and using them to decimate enemies and up your frag count; abilities are useful extras. Quake Champions is an old school multiplayer arena shooter first and foremost.

You can sign up for the first instalment of the Quake Champions beta here. There’s still no specific start date for the closed beta, but with Bethesda releasing a glut of information about the game’s weapons, arenas and characters at the same time, there’s a good chance it’s just around the corner. This seems to have been confirmed by a Tim Willits in an interview with Russian esports site GoodGame.ru where he said that the Quake Champions closed beta would begin “in a few weeks.” Not long until the frag videos begin then.

Gamespot have reported that the Quake Champions beta will begin on April 6, 2017, although this will only include a small number of those who signed up. Additional players will be granted access as time goes on.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts

This is a "wait and see".

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

i still need to see this for myself

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#4 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10585 Posts

Eh, I'm open minded. A Quake III with prettier graphics would have been a good game, but it wouldn't advance the series or the genre. Doom 2016 had a whole bunch of modern touches to go along with its throwback base, and it worked really well.

I say people should give this game a chance.

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

Eww. Doom fuggin sucked. This looks like Doom with Overwatch ripoff elements thrown in. Devs can't come up with anything new? What is this 1997?

Avatar image for deactivated-5920bf77daa85
deactivated-5920bf77daa85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#6 deactivated-5920bf77daa85
Member since 2004 • 3270 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

This is a "wait and see".

RageQuit4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 RageQuit4Life
Member since 2010 • 527 Posts
Loading Video...

Looks not bad to me, I think id Software need to buff player's speed a bit.

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 BlueEyedCasva

@RageQuit4Life said:
Loading Video...

Looks not bad to me, I think id Software need to buff player's speed a bit.

This looks good once it goes through beta we will see a lot of improvements

TheFadeForever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TheFadeForever
Member since 2013 • 2655 Posts

@Pray_to_me said:

Eww. Doom fuggin sucked. This looks like Doom with Overwatch ripoff elements thrown in. Devs can't come up with anything new? What is this 1997?

Looks like someone hasn't played Quake before

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

Incoming extreme nit-pickyness. I hope the game does well, would be great to be able to sink my teeth into a healthy arena shooter. I was too young to be able to get into UT and UT 2004 multiplayer so if this one could survive that would be great.

BlueEyedCasva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BlueEyedCasva

@blangenakker said:

Incoming extreme nit-pickyness. I hope the game does well, would be great to be able to sink my teeth into a healthy arena shooter. I was too young to be able to get into UT and UT 2004 multiplayer so if this one could survive that would be great.

It will get better once we test the beta

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

As it was in the late '90s, I'm looking forward to Unreal Tournament a hell of a lot more than Quake.