PUBG sells 6 million copies , more than 422K concurrent players, adds cosmetic microtransactions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

and it's still in Early Access

====================================

http://www.dsogaming.com/news/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-six-million-copies-adds-micro-transactions-gamescom-2017/

====================================

Bluehole announced that PlayerUnknown’s Battlegrounds has sold more than six million copies in four months since its Early Access launch on March 23, 2017 with peak concurrent users, again surpassing the 422,000 mark with 422,618 simultaneous players at one time on Steam.

In addition, Bluehole and ESL announced that they’re partnering up to bring the popular Battle Royale title to the world’s largest video games and gaming convention. The Gamescom PUBG Invitational will take place at gamescom on August 23 – 26, 2017 in Cologne, Germany, and will feature eighty of the world’s best PUBG players and influencers competing at the game’s first LAN event.

Starting from August 3rd, Bluehole is giving players the ability to purchase vanity items in PUBG with the proceeds to be used as prizing for winners at the Gamescom PUBG Invitational and for charities of Bluehole’s selection. The tournament prize pool will have a total value of $350,000 USD.

Chang Han Kim, VP and Executive Producer at Bluehole, said:

“From very early on we knew that the success of PUBG was reliant on the passion of its community. We want to celebrate this by inviting eighty of the top players from around the world to compete in the first offline invitational. It’s been incredibly rewarding to see how quickly our community has grown, and can’t wait to hear about everyone’s experience this summer.”

Ralf Reichert, CEO at ESL, added:

“We’re thrilled to see PUBG enhancing its already amazing in-game experience with a competitive LAN component at gamescom. The game’s been a smash hit and its natural evolution into a competitive title has been incredibly exciting to watch. We’re looking forward t

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#2 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

Still remember when chaz made this thread on the very week PUBG was gaining momentum.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Cool, looking forward to trying it out later when it comes to XOne. I'm playing another early access game now, didn't realize it was even in that state when I bought it, but I'm loving it so far quite addicting (Fortnite)

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44033 Posts

Last night I was checking this game out on Mixer, seems the guys were having a blast just messing around in the world. It's a could be, maybe for me ATM.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

It's a fun ass game.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@illmatic87 said:

Still remember when chaz made this thread on the very week PUBG was gaining momentum.

The early access was released before Persona 5 though.

Still wrong because Splatoon still mattered.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By the_master_race

======================

Meet Rocky NoHands, the paralyzed PUBG streamer who kicks ass using only his mouth

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

I can't wait to play it on the X1X.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

This is gold, can't wait to see what Ubisoft games will copy this.

CrashNBurn281

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CrashNBurn281
Member since 2014 • 1574 Posts

Can't wait to play this on my PS4 Pro.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

GOTY 2017

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@crashnburn281 said:

Can't wait to play this on my PS4 Pro.

That might be a while

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

game is not for me...

but anybody saying PC has no exclusives just got owned

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#15 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@Juub1990 said:

Splatoon still mattered.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@KBFloYd: isnt it going to xbone?

mjorh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 mjorh
Member since 2011 • 6749 Posts

@illmatic87 said:

You went all tormentus on Chaz lol

But man what a surprise this game turned out to be

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#18 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@aigis said:

@KBFloYd: isnt it going to xbone?

yea...consoles begging for PC games how ironic

as for playstation owners...keep begging your time will come.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Steam Spy says there are around 5.3 million owners, I'm assuming the statistics from bluehole are more accurate though.

I already have like 130 hours in this game its pretty great

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#20  Edited By Dasein808
Member since 2008 • 839 Posts

@illmatic87 said:

Player Unknown's Battlegrounds.

@illmatic87 said:

Even though this game can pull enough twitch viewers to fill up a football stadium. Barely anyone will care about this game here.

I'm glad to see that this prediction was wrong, but lol @ most JRPGs ever attaining these levels of popularity.

Based on his passion and recommendation, I even tried watching some P5 streams to see what the hype was about and I still don't get it, at all.

I will confess that I was only hate watching Dark Slob Phil playing and he's not someone to watch for competent gameplay, but someone you watch to troll in Twitch chat with "WoW D00d?! *grunts* "snorts* *belches* *farts*. Gib monies!" but still ...

Maybe it's my age or the dudebro in me, but I do not understand the excitement for RPing as a Japanese high schooler.

Different strokes and all that, though.

KMP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 KMP
Member since 2017 • 380 Posts

@Dasein808: gotta play it to understand it.

Persona games are basically dopamine drips, they blend together slice of life stuff with you constantly upgrading a character stat in every small activity you do. Drink tea at a diner, get some Charm, increase your Charm level, suddenly you can access new parts of that slice of life stuff that helps you dungeon crawl, which advances the story.

It helps that this stuff is all really simple (Persona games don't require too much menu crawling), everything is laid out in a stylish presentation that doesn't scream unapproachable like Atelier or that Hyptunia weeaboo shit, and that the actual slice of life stuff is with rounded, more Westernized characters. Very little, if at all of the stuff that you'd jump to if you think anime.

The charm lies in the way you distribute your day among activities and friends, and actually progressing your character and the story. It's incredibly well laid out without becoming overwhelming, or overwhelmingly Japanese.

illmatic87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 564

#22 illmatic87
Member since 2008 • 17935 Posts

@Dasein808 said:
@illmatic87 said:

Player Unknown's Battlegrounds.

@illmatic87 said:

Even though this game can pull enough twitch viewers to fill up a football stadium. Barely anyone will care about this game here.

I'm glad to see that this prediction was wrong, but lol @ most JRPGs ever attaining these levels of popularity.

Wasnt making a prediction. Was having a go at the bubble of this community. Sometimes you begin to even wonder what's up with the lack of discussion that was going on with PUBG here, when my steam feed, several discord servers I float around in as well as my circle of friends that play shit is swamped by talk of the game.

The best part was when chumpo here asked who got chicken dinner in Battlegrounds in one of those Q&As at the end of his thread and several posters here had no idea what he was talking about.

Though one thing I didnt predict was the game having as large of a break-out beyond what H1Z1 manged to accomplish.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#23 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58856 Posts
@the_master_race said:

======================

Meet Rocky NoHands, the paralyzed PUBG streamer who kicks ass using only his mouth

Stephen Hawking's discovered black holes emit radiation.

Not impressed.

the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 the_master_race

@uninspiredcup said:
@the_master_race said:

======================

Stephen Hawking's discovered black holes emit radiation.

Not impressed.

and me and you still here talkin about video games .....pff

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#25  Edited By Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19516 Posts

I've never heard of this game before... But I recognize the developer, Bluehole, a Korean MMO studio best known for TERA.

Apparently, PUBG is modeled after the Japanese movie Battle Royale... Surprised it's taken so long to make a Battle Royale type of game.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

Best game along with Nier Automata and RE7 to me this year ... by far

PC master race !

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#27  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44108 Posts

Watched a bit of this being played on Twitch and while it looks like a bit of fun I can't really see myself really playing it for all that long. Like a bag of potato chips, initially enjoyable but only briefly with no real lasting and satisfying appeal.

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Dasein808

@kmp said:

@Dasein808: gotta play it to understand it.

Persona games are basically dopamine drips, they blend together slice of life stuff with you constantly upgrading a character stat in every small activity you do. Drink tea at a diner, get some Charm, increase your Charm level, suddenly you can access new parts of that slice of life stuff that helps you dungeon crawl, which advances the story.

It helps that this stuff is all really simple (Persona games don't require too much menu crawling), everything is laid out in a stylish presentation that doesn't scream unapproachable like Atelier or that Hyptunia weeaboo shit, and that the actual slice of life stuff is with rounded, more Westernized characters. Very little, if at all of the stuff that you'd jump to if you think anime.

The charm lies in the way you distribute your day among activities and friends, and actually progressing your character and the story. It's incredibly well laid out without becoming overwhelming, or overwhelmingly Japanese.

Like I said, different strokes.

The minutiae that the game explores seems tedious to me at this age.

It may appeal to some, but it will never be my cuppa.

Having said that, however, I do appreciate 80s WRPG callbacks in JRPG games like Dark Souls which vary NPC responses depending on the character's current state, what they're wearing, etc. (i.e. in DS' case whether or not the character is hollowed or how they have responded in a previous NPC interaction).

Sadly, I have little patience for most RPGs these days given my limited gaming time and the stereotypical Hollywood junior high level script writing.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I can't imagine the population explosion when PUBG gets on the Xbox One and PS4. It's gonna be crazy.

xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts

@KBFloYd: I'm sure people that were in the know about the game wanted it to come to consoles. But it being announced at MS's E3 show was a pleasant surprise as I didn't know much about the games exsistence. Since E3 though, I can't wait for this to come to Xbox One!

Dasein808

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Dasein808
Loading Video...

A humorous alternate approach to playing the game as "war correspondents."

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#32 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

The juggernaut keeps on going. I've played around 20 hours. Feels too slow for me. If they added a smaller map, yet keeping it to 100 players. Goodness me that would be fun

Ryu_Silveira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ryu_Silveira
Member since 2017 • 167 Posts

I definitely have fun playing this game. What's great is that I recently unlocked the mini-skirt as a cosmetic item...lmfao. I'll be putting this up for sale for $350 or so!

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 with_teeth26

@popgotcha said:

The juggernaut keeps on going. I've played around 20 hours. Feels too slow for me. If they added a smaller map, yet keeping it to 100 players. Goodness me that would be fun

I believe one of the new maps they are working on is about half the size of the current one, but has more buildings so I'm not sure if there will be more action or just more people hiding in houses.

PopGotcha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 PopGotcha
Member since 2016 • 716 Posts

@with_teeth26 said:
@popgotcha said:

I believe one of the new maps they are working on is about half the size of the current one, but has more buildings so I'm not sure if there will be more action or just more people hiding in houses.

I just get too frustrated looting for 20 mins just to get killed. Maybe if I just go full Rambo and try to take out more people it might be more enjoyable LUL

SinjinSmythe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36 SinjinSmythe
Member since 2008 • 1049 Posts

......so basically this game just shit all over Lawbreakers.

Got it!

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@the_master_race:

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/11/15779272/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-xbox-one-x-4k

For PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, Another Unreal Engine 4 based Zombie game with 4K on X1X

Brendan Greene — the man behind the Playerunknown handle — came out on stage to announce the Xbox One port. He added that the final version of the game will include an update with “enhancements” for the Xbox One X, the final name of the device codenamed Project Scorpio. The enhancements include support for 4K resolution; you can see a 4K trailer for the Xbox One version above.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 with_teeth26

@ronvalencia said:

@the_master_race:

https://www.polygon.com/e3/2017/6/11/15779272/playerunknowns-battlegrounds-xbox-one-x-4k

For PlayerUnknown's Battlegrounds, Another Unreal Engine 4 based Zombie game with 4K on X1X

Brendan Greene — the man behind the Playerunknown handle — came out on stage to announce the Xbox One port. He added that the final version of the game will include an update with “enhancements” for the Xbox One X, the final name of the device codenamed Project Scorpio. The enhancements include support for 4K resolution; you can see a 4K trailer for the Xbox One version above.

its not really a zombie game

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 with_teeth26

@SinjinSmythe said:

......so basically this game just shit all over Lawbreakers.

Got it!

they aren't comparable in the least...

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DrLostRib

@metalslimenite said:

What's pubug?

read the first post

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DrLostRib

@ronvalencia said:

@the_master_race:

what's this have to do with anything?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 ronvalencia

@drlostrib said:
@ronvalencia said:

@the_master_race:

This is system wars not Games Discussion.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 DrLostRib

@ronvalencia said:
@drlostrib said:
@ronvalencia said:

@the_master_race:

Well I'm glad you're aware of what board your on. Still didn't answer the question

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 ronvalencia

@drlostrib said:
@ronvalencia said:
@drlostrib said:
@ronvalencia said:

@the_master_race:

Well I'm glad you're aware of what board your on. Still didn't answer the question

X1X has another 4K game.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 DrLostRib

@ronvalencia said:
@drlostrib said:
@ronvalencia said:
@drlostrib said:

X1X has another 4K game.

Well A) the game isn't even out on consoles, not even on early access so who knows how it will actually end up running. B) what does that have to do with the topic?

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ronvalencia

@drlostrib said:
@ronvalencia said:
@drlostrib said:
@ronvalencia said:
@drlostrib said:

X1X has another 4K game.

Well A) the game isn't even out on consoles, not even on early access so who knows how it will actually end up running. B) what does that have to do with the topic?

A). It's developer's claim and it's yet another Unreal Engine 4 based game.

B). It's system wars.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By DrLostRib

@ronvalencia said:
@drlostrib said:
@ronvalencia said:
@drlostrib said:

X1X has another 4K game.

B). It's system wars.

So basically, you have nothing. You just felt compelled to copy and paste something

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ronvalencia

@drlostrib said:
@ronvalencia said:
@drlostrib said:
@ronvalencia said:

X1X has another 4K game.

B). It's system wars.

So basically, you have nothing. You just felt compelled to copy and paste something

Unlike dev's claim, Your arguments doesn't have any leg to stand on. This is system wars that compares game systems. Try again.

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

So I have heard that Player Unknown is not actually working directly on the Xbox one version and that it was hired out to a 3rd party and MS has sent their own team there to assist with the port. If that is the case I don't think there will be a PS4 version anytime soon.

Mike Ybarra, VP of Xbox Corp. loves this game and streams it all the time on Mixer. They are bending over backwards for these Devs. Can't wait for my 1st Winner Winner, Chicken Dinner on the mighty X!

I hope if they are cross playing this they give console players the option to opt out. Have heard too many stories of PC players changing resolutions to better see people hiding in grass etc.