SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-10-26-pubg-is-60fps-on-xbox-series-x-but-30fps-on-xbox-series-s

I guess this shouldn't be surprising, but to people who are hyping up Series S, do you think it's worth the price when you know that performance is already going to be an issue?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

Budget console does less. I know I'm shocked.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

The series S is just a Fortnite machine and its going to sell millions of units because its a better price ($300) for parents to buy this Holiday season.

On topic: It is a little annoying that MS said pretty much the only difference between XSX & XSS would be resolution. Guess that's not going to be the case now. That's what you get for buying cheap alternative and remember, you get what you pay for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
deactivated-5fd4737f5f083

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 deactivated-5fd4737f5f083
Member since 2018 • 937 Posts

Only 60 for a game released nearly 4 years ago?

regnaston

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 regnaston
Member since 2008 • 4681 Posts

In this case it is because the Series X uses the X1X version of the game which will have the frame rate priority setting and the Series S will use the X1 version of the game which will not have the frame rate priority. It is about backwards compatibility

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By SecretPolice  Online

@davillain- said:
@SecretPolice said:

The series S is just a Fortnite machine and its going to sell millions of units because its a better price ($300) for parents to buy this Holiday season.

On topic: It is a little annoying that MS said pretty much the only difference between XSX & XSS would be resolution. Guess that's not going to be the case now. That's what you get for buying cheap alternative and remember, you get what you pay for.

It's up to the devs. Some good 3rd party devs out there, some not so good. What ya gonna do I mean since we pretty much know the CPU in both X & S are not too different. :P

PS: Also from the article...

"We are working to provide an option to raise the framerate cap on Xbox One S and Xbox Series S consoles in the future," the developers said."

So it seems the jury is still out.

Avatar image for the6millionlies
The6millionLies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#7  Edited By The6millionLies
Member since 2020 • 564 Posts

PUBG is horrible optimize, it got shit graphics too.. I think is more their engine thing than anything else... It wouldn't surprise me if the high end consoles are using a dynamic resolution to maintain the 60fps.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 tdkmillsy  Online
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

Series X based on one X build and has 60fps

Series S based on One S build that didnt have 60fps option

Meaning to get it work they would need to optimize and its bad to optimize.

Bad example of the performance of series S really. Need a game that has dynamic resolution and or framerates at least. Even then we wont know difference until games come out on both. Dirt 5 is probably closest to that and although its saying 1440p and 60fps against 4k and 60fps. We will have to see the actual results just like when 4k is claimed on PS5/Series X as last gen they where allowed to do that when it touched 4k for a tiny bit. When really it was well below that.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaVillain  Moderator

@netracing said:

Only 60 for a game released nearly 4 years ago?

To be fair, PUBG wasn't even stable on PC for a long time, can't say I blame on XSS for not running in 60fps due to low specs it's packing. I only played PUBG 1 week when it was still new, so I don't know if the latest patch help it on PC. Fortnite grab me and I never look back lol.

@SecretPolice said:

It's up to the devs. Some good 3rd party devs out there, some not so good. What ya gonna do I mean since we pretty much know the CPU in both X & S are not too different. :P

PS: Also from the article...

"We are working to provide an option to raise the framerate cap on Xbox One S and Xbox Series S consoles in the future," the developers said."

So it seems the jury is still out.

Oh well. It is what it is I guess.

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

Series S

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaVillain  Moderator

@ProtossRushX said:

Series S

As much as it pains me to say this...I agree with you. But in another way, this is just for the parents to grab XSS for the kids cause it's cheap.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7233 Posts

Playing Pubg is just about acceptable at 60 so 30 is unplayable horribly janky.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#14  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Why is Xbox Series S using the One S version of the game? Isn't the Series S more powerful than One X? Microsoft gimped the thing too hard.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

The real question is: how's Fortnite?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic

@girlusocrazy said:

People should just spend $100 more and get the PS5 with additional storage and more power, or wait for a price drop on the Series X. It doesn't make sense to spend $300 and then have to upgrade in a few years anyway. Getting a system that will last the entire generation is cheaper than buying this and then having to pay more later for more storage and for better hardware that can keep up.

Agreed. You're basically paying for a last gen experience. Why bother?

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#18 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69451 Posts

Series S is only BC to One S games. We have known this for ages. This is not going to change.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

This can't be true as the SeX must be 30fps also as cows have said the SeS would hold the SeX back lol.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 SolidGame_basic

@girlusocrazy said:

If anyone needs extra farm land, I_P_Daily is letting cows live rent free in his head

😁

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

What would be funny is to hear someone say "i am upgrading from my Xbox X to the Series S". Nice upgrade 🤣

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

Only 60fps on a console that was supposed to rival the performance of a 2080TI? And that's at 1080P according to the article... Uhm....

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Pedro

@eoten said:

Only 60fps on a console that was supposed to rival the performance of a 2080TI? Uhm....

They haven't unlocked its true potential. Just wait.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LouiXIII
Member since 2015 • 10052 Posts

@davillain- said:
@SecretPolice said:

Exactly! What happened to only resolution? First Devil May Cry with no ray tracing..not even a patch later and now only 30fps on PUBG when this thing is supposed to be able to hit 120fps and it's kicking out a lower resolution than it's big bro. This is ridiculous. This is why I call this thing junk. It's garbage.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SecretPolice  Online

@louixiii said:
@davillain- said:
@SecretPolice said:

Exactly! What happened to only resolution? First Devil May Cry with no ray tracing..not even a patch later and now only 30fps on PUBG when this thing is supposed to be able to hit 120fps and it's kicking out a lower resolution than it's big bro. This is ridiculous. This is why I call this thing junk. It's garbage.

It's not the XSS that's at issue, it's the game itself because...

"Series X based on one X build and has 60fps

Series S based on One S build that didnt have 60fps option"

As the dev says in this article...

""We are working to provide an option to raise the framerate cap on Xbox One S and Xbox Series S consoles in the future," the developers said."

So, newly built games with no frame rate cap won't have this issue.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

These awesome machines can't work miracles when a game is plagued with shoddy programming and lack of optimization. This is selective cynicism.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Pedro

@lamprey263 said:

These awesome machines can't work miracles when a game is plagued with shoddy programming and lack of optimization. This is selective cynicism.

This is not much of a programming issue but more of a design "issue". As stated before the Series X is BC with One X and the Series S is BC with One S. Unless they give the One S a 60fps mode as they have stated, the Series S is locked to the One S frame cap.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#29 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

A very poorly optimized game performs lower on a budget system. More news at 11. 🤷‍♂️

Avatar image for the6millionlies
The6millionLies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The6millionLies
Member since 2020 • 564 Posts

@hardwenzen: It's not the hardware is the game,Xbox series S is running the Xbox one S code that is locked at 30fps.. The developers say they are working to get to run at 60fps.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 LouiXIII

@SecretPolice said:
@louixiii said:
@davillain- said:
@SecretPolice said:

It's not the XSS that's at issue, it's the game itself because...

"Series X based on one X build and has 60fps

Series S based on One S build that didnt have 60fps option"

As the dev says in this article...

""We are working to provide an option to raise the framerate cap on Xbox One S and Xbox Series S consoles in the future," the developers said."

So, newly built games with no frame rate cap won't have this issue.

Bro, PUBG has been out forever now and they haven't raised the frame rate yet. And PUBG is a big game with a lot going on so I get it but all of that talk about Series S being a next gen console is bs. It's a current gen console that's weaker than the One X. For all of this, they could've just keep the One X in play and stopped manufacturing the One S.

MS has marketed this device as being able to do the same things that the Series X can do but with a lower resolution right?

C'mon man... if it looks like a duck, quack like a duck, it's a damn duck :P

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 LouiXIII

@girlusocrazy said:

If anyone needs extra farm land, I_P_Daily is letting cows live rent free in his head

Avatar image for deactivated-631373f44e9fd
deactivated-631373f44e9fd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 deactivated-631373f44e9fd
Member since 2004 • 549 Posts

PUBG is still prolly the worst benchmark to judge any system by. It's been out 3 years and still chugs like complete crap if you hot drop / have a lot of players around. They focus their efforts on spamming cosmetics instead of fixing bugs and stutters that have been around ever since the game existed.

Don't really care about Xbox, just saying PUBG is still a horrible running game.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SolidGame_basic

@louixiii: do you think the main reason why they created the S was just to bank on digital/Game Pass?

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7163 Posts

@davillain- said:
@SecretPolice said:

Its just a waste of many because the ps5 digital is only 100 bucks more to get 4k the series x will have. 100 bucks more is worth it because the series s is not worth paying a 100 bucks less.

specs of the series s vs the ps5 specs is not only 100 bucks difference in specs. its more like 200 bucks worth of tech difference.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@girlusocrazy said:

Where on SW and by mentioning cows they're living rent free in my head, well if that were the case everyone would be in everyones mind 24/7, it doesn't work like that lol.

No, it works when people mention people's names specifically (like you did) that the rent free thing works.

So another cow i'm on the mind of, man at this rate i should have the entire herd by the end of the year :)

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#38 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

I'm more shocked that the game can attain 60fps on the next-gen systems. 'twas a piece of shit.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: I don’t really think it matters. I got 2 XSX.

Zaryia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Zaryia
Member since 2016 • 21607 Posts

Even 60 fps for this game is fucking bad.....lmao

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

#42  Edited By madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

One question: are we going to keep getting these "the Series S is more weaksauce than a homeopathic bottle of Heinz ketchup, hah hah hah" threads throughout this coming generation?

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

Every BC game that's capped at 30fps, unless patched, will run at 30 fps on Series S. Unpatched, it's almost the same as playing on a 2013 Xbox One.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

@lundy86_4: It was already 60 fps on junk jaguar CPUs current gen, so I'd hope it could easily do that with next gen.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 deactivated-6092a2d005fba

@girlusocrazy said:

@i_p_daily: Good for you rationalizing everything for yourself. You have a bright future.

Just correcting you on the way things work, i do that a lot for you cows as you guys find interactions hard lol.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Xbox Series S delivers the same next generation speed and performance that define Xbox Series X.

LouiXIII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 LouiXIII

@SolidGame_basic said:

@louixiii: do you think the main reason why they created the S was just to bank on digital/Game Pass?

That and to take advantage of the people too poor to buy a 500+ dollar console in the middle of a pandemic. Those who can't afford a 4K TV despite how relatively cheap they are.

My gripe is with the marketing. This is marketed as a "next-gen" console and it's not. Even calling it a poor man's next gen console is an insult. So many people complained about the Pro using fake 4K and that same whiny group of people are defending this crap tooth and nail. Anyway, let me shut up before the court of owls decides to ban me for being brutally honest.

[Back to Bystander Mode]

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

LOL a console that coudln't run @ 60fps with a game with crappy graphics is pretty embarrassing

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Pedro

@daredevils2k said:

LOL a console that coudln't run a game with crappy graphics at 60fps is pretty embarrassing

Don't be mean to the PS4 and Xbox One.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

@Pedro said:
@daredevils2k said:

LOL a console that coudln't run a game with crappy graphics at 60fps is pretty embarrassing

Don't be mean to the PS4 and Xbox One.

Wow are you saying the next console known as x box series S = PS4 and Xb1? now that is very embarrassing lol. People should just buy the ps4 pro or xb1x over the XBSES