PSVR priced at $400-600 expects to sell 1.9 miilion

• 88 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

http://wccftech.com/psvr-to-be-priced-at-400-600-to-sell-1-9m-in-2016-according-to-market-research/

This is pure apeculation as Sony has yet to announce the official price and going by the Oculus Rifts consumer price. The market analyst predicts that 1 million should be sold by the end of 2016 for psvr if priced lower.

Lol, we all know that Sony is bad at supporting extra accessories such as the multi-tap, eye toy, ps eye, motion controls, Ext.

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@FireEmblem_Man: The link clearly says 1.9 million bro. 1 million is quite a bit less :P

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Sony would be hella wise to sell at $399.

It would actually sell at that price.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts
@LegatoSkyheart said:

Ugh. Nobody's going to pay that for a console peripheral.

aigis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#5 aigis
Member since 2015 • 7355 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

I think they will be selling it at a lower price than the rift, because it doesnt have built-in headphones like the rift, which will probably drive the price down a bit

Berserker1_5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6 Berserker1_5
Member since 2007 • 1967 Posts

with the price of the rift, I would say Somt VR would probably be around 500-600 as well

Sony VR comes with a processor, the goggles, and it has to be comparable to the rift.

I can't see a $400. I thought rift would be 350 and another 150 or so for the remote. Instead it's 600 without remote

Avatar image for GiveMeSomething
GiveMeSomething

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GiveMeSomething
Member since 2007 • 1323 Posts

1.9m at $600? JASJAJAAJAJAJ. Thats all i can say.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#8 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Needs a sticky.

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

@Berserker1_5: The Oculus Rift comes with a Xbox One controller. I wish it didn't because I already have 5. Sony VR is going to require a PS Camera and the move controllers may or may not be optional. Who knows at this point? And of course I already own the camera and 2 move controllers so that shit will probably come bundled and I will have more crap I don't need. But PSVR will be pricey too.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

when you realize you don't need it to play Rez and Battlezone (don't really need a PS4 for that matter) those extra few hundred dollars can go toward quite a few awesome games

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

I doubt it will cost that much. Why would they price an accessory more than the console required to run it? Makes zero sense.

Sony has already said they are gonna be pricing at console price anyway and I'm sure to Sony that means PS4 price or less not $599.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

#FuckVR2016

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

i wouldn't pay more for it than i payed for the console itself

If the price is over 500 they will never sell 1.9 million of them.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60713 Posts

I'm not buying it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#15 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

Okay,

• That's an analyst's guidance. Sony themselves expect it to be a slow burn;
  • We don't know the PSVR's price, but we do know that Sony have said they expect it to be priced the same as a PS4 itself

The entire thread is predicated on a false premise.

rakadewa19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 rakadewa19
Member since 2015 • 104 Posts

Who is this "market analysis"? Michael Patcher?

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

if it's more expensive than the console itself then it's DOA

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#18  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Sony's VR is never going to happen. I think they are lying through their teeth about it. The PS4 will never be able to do acceptable VR.

Once people start attempting to use the Oculus Rift on their less-than-stellar PCs and find out that the experience is horrible, Sony will be forced to accept the fact the PS4 can't do it. If GTX 970s can't do proper VR of modern titles (and yes, I think Oculus is full of shit with their low requirement for VR GPUs), the PS4 can't come anywhere close.

The whole project is just a "me too!" thing. The PS4 will never be able to do proper VR and will be a huge failure if they try.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 FireEmblem_Man

@charizard1605 said:

Okay,

• That's an analyst's guidance. Sony themselves expect it to be a slow burn;
  • We don't know the PSVR's price, but we do know that Sony have said they expect it to be priced the same as a PS4 itself

The entire thread is predicated on a false premise.

That's why the link stats by marketing analysis! I think you've become a huge Sony Fanboy......

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

No way. That's more than the console itself.

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FireEmblem_Man

@quadknight said:

I doubt it will cost that much. Why would they price an accessory more than the console required to run it? Makes zero sense.

Sony has already said they are gonna be pricing at console price anyway and I'm sure to Sony that means PS4 price or less not $599.

Why would you even buy it or support it when Sony has a piss poor history of supporting their accessories?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By QuadKnight

@Wasdie said:

Sony's VR is never going to happen. I think they are lying through their teeth about it. The PS4 will never be able to do acceptable VR.

Once people start attempting to use the Oculus Rift on their less-than-stellar PCs and find out that the experience is horrible, Sony will be forced to accept the fact the PS4 can't do it. If GTX 970s can't do proper VR of modern titles (and yes, I think Oculus is full of shit with their low requirement for VR GPUs), the PS4 can't come anywhere close.

The whole project is just a "me too!" thing. The PS4 will never be able to do proper VR and will be a huge failure if they try.

PSVR already works according to people that have tried it though. The graphics are not up to OR standards but it doesn't have to be. OR seems to be going for bleeding edge tech while Sony seems to be going for reasonably acceptable VR. If PSVR fails it won't be because it doesn't work, it already does, it will be because Sony prices it at a level that their consumers don't find acceptable ($400 and above).

dz8t2t

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 dz8t2t
Member since 2004 • 318 Posts
Loading Video...

MMMM ... we went thru this same shit a decade ago, so adjusting for inflation I predict a resounding **** no:

davem1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24 davem1992
Member since 2009 • 4068 Posts

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Wasdie  Moderator

@quadknight said:
@Wasdie said:

PSVR already works according to people that have tried it though. The graphics are not up to OR standards but it doesn't have to be. OR seems to be going for bleeding edge tech while Sony seems to be going for reasonably acceptable VR. If PSVR fails it won't be because it doesn't work, it already does, it will be because Sony prices it at a level that their consumers don't find acceptable ($400 and above).

"Works" is not the same as having a proper VR experience. People have actually been playing real games with the Oculus Rift dev kits while Sony has been showing off highly tailored demos to wow people and shoo them out of the booth the second they are done.

Halo2-Best-FPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Halo2-Best-FPS
Member since 2004 • 784 Posts

One thing is true, it destroys Oculus Rift

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts
@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

Based on what evidence?

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

I think $400 is still too much for Sony's VR. If its any more than that they have made a colossal mistake.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@lostrib said:
@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

Based on what evidence?

Based on his ultra fanboy vision.

Hoping the new TOS kicks in.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Wasdie  Moderator

@lostrib said:
@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

Based on what evidence?

Absolutely none. We know the hardware is inferior to the Oculus Rift in every way and it's connected to a device with significantly less graphics performance. It's earlier models had more comfort than the first Oculus Rift developer kit and had more advanced headtracking than the early Oculus Rift developers kits, but that's it.

It's not superior in any way as a piece of hardware.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Wasdie said:
@lostrib said:
@Halo2-Best-FPS said:

Based on what evidence?

Absolutely none. We know the hardware is inferior to the Oculus Rift in every way and it's connected to a device with significantly less graphics performance. It's earlier models had more comfort than the first Oculus Rift developer kit and had more advanced headtracking than the early Oculus Rift developers kits, but that's it.

wonder what's inside the PSVR additional device

Desmonic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Desmonic  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 19990 Posts

@lostrib said:
@Wasdie said:
@lostrib said:

Based on what evidence?

wonder what's inside the PSVR additional device

Magic, secret sauce!

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#33 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@Boddicker said:
@LegatoSkyheart said:

Ugh. Nobody's going to pay that for a console peripheral.

eh no, but people would buy it for a Rift replacement. I'd assume the PSVR will be made for PC use too like how Kinect worked.

Ten_Pints

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#34 Ten_Pints
Member since 2014 • 4072 Posts

Need to be about $150 to reach any level of popularity.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 QuadKnight

@Wasdie said:
@quadknight said:
@Wasdie said:

"Works" is not the same as having a proper VR experience. People have actually been playing real games with the Oculus Rift dev kits while Sony has been showing off highly tailored demos to wow people and shoo them out of the booth the second they are done.

What's a "proper VR" experience? I don't get what that means. The device either does VR or it doesn't.

Every other thing outside of that is just icing on the cake. The are tons of impressions out there from people in the media that found PSVR experience more comfortable than OR. Graphics will always be a huge advantage that OR has over PSVR but other than that the core experience for both seems the same to me. I don't think the general consumer is expecting PSVR to look better than OR but I think they are expecting both systems to provide a decent VR level of immersion and so far from what I've seen both devices are very capable of that. OR is better at it but it doesn't mean PSVR doesn't provide a proper VR experience.

madskills6117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 madskills6117
Member since 2006 • 4172 Posts

Oculus Rift will be nearly DOA and so will Sony VR if they shipped at between $400 - $600.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By QuadKnight

@ten_pints said:

Need to be about $150 to reach any level of popularity.

@madskills6117 said:

Oculus Rift will be nearly DOA and so will Sony VR if they shipped at between $400 - $600.

I totally agree with both of these assessments.

Relevant to this thread lol....

Loading Video...

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator

@quadknight said:

What's a "proper VR" experience? I don't get what that means. The device either does VR or it doesn't.

Every other thing outside of that is just icing on the cake. The are tons of impressions out there from people in the media that found PSVR experience more comfortable than OR. Graphics will always be a huge advantage that OR has over PSVR but other than that the core experience for both seems the same to me. I don't think the general consumer is expecting PSVR to look better than OR but I think they are expecting both systems to provide a decent VR level of immersion and so far from what I've seen both devices are very capable of that. OR is better at it but it doesn't mean PSVR doesn't provide a proper VR experience.

Proper VR requires a high enough framerate and resolution as well as proper technical graphics (higher LoDing and draw distances) as to both avoid headaches and nausea as well as give a fluid feeling to the world. The biggest thing is latency. The time it takes to take the player's head position, translate it to 3D space, render the scene, and draw to the screen is incredibly important to making sure the user feels connected to the world they are literally in.

Google Cardboard and your phone are enough to do VR, but it's not nearly enough to do it properly. VR isn't a binary thing. Proper VR requires a huge amount of functionality from multiple pieces of hardware to and the low latency to sell the experience. This is where I think Morpheus is going to fail and why people need to adjust their expectations of VR if they don't throw powerful enough hardware at it.

This is going to be a rare instance where the motherboard of the device is going to come into play. Passing data between the CPU, GPU, and RAM could introduce latency to the entire system that hurts the VR experience.

RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts

$400? what?!

I though it would cost $200 max

Holy Shit thats gonna flop. $400 to $600 for something that will have crappy games and very few games in total?

Sony is wasting alot of money into this. They should have waited another 4-5 years to jump on the VR stuff. Cuz in another 4-5 years thats probably when VR will be of noticeable possible value.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 QuadKnight

@Wasdie said:
@quadknight said:

Proper VR requires a high enough framerate and resolution as well as proper technical graphics (higher LoDing and draw distances) as to both avoid headaches and nausea as well as give a fluid feeling to the world. The biggest thing is latency. The time it takes to take the player's head position, translate it to 3D space, render the scene, and draw to the screen is incredibly important to making sure the user feels connected to the world they are literally in.

Google Cardboard and your phone are enough to do VR, but it's not nearly enough to do it properly. VR isn't a binary thing. Proper VR requires a huge amount of functionality from multiple pieces of hardware to and the low latency to sell the experience. This is where I think Morpheus is going to fail and why people need to adjust their expectations of VR if they don't throw powerful enough hardware at it.

This is going to be a rare instance where the motherboard of the device is going to come into play. Passing data between the CPU, GPU, and RAM could introduce latency to the entire system that hurts the VR experience.

I see what you mean now. The thing though is that I think those people waiting for PSVR have already adjusted their expectations and don't think they'll be getting all the bells and whistles of proper VR. They just want something that gives them a higher level of immersion than their TVs currently do. A recent poll suggests that as many as 70% of gamers are interested in VR, I think Sony is uniquely positioned to capture these kind of gamers if they price their device properly. OR is alienating more than 99% of these people with its ridiculous price and system requirements, and I think these gamers will go with Sony knowing fully well that it won't match OR but will give them a new experience. I think it's the reason why Samsung's VR is doing very well. It doesn't provide what OR or PSVR will provide but it gives consumers the basic level of VR that they imagine and covers for their need of a new experience.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

@quadknight: I think samsungs Vr is about on par with what you are going to get with PSVR which is essentially a device to experience Vr but not at any real high level of interactivity akin to what Vive pre and Oculus will provide. Some movement and click games, the ability to watch 360* videos. That is about all the PSVR will be capable of providing. That is not what they are promoting though.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By QuadKnight

@spitfire-six said:

@quadknight: I think samsungs Vr is about on par with what you are going to get with PSVR which is essentially a device to experience Vr but not at any real high level of interactivity akin to what Vive pre and Oculus will provide. Some movement and click games, the ability to watch 360* videos. That is about all the PSVR will be capable of providing. That is not what they are promoting though.

Ace Combat 7, GT Sport, Project Cars, DOAX3, and Eve Valkyrie are more than point and click though. PSVR will support these games, and that's more than what Samsung VR is doing.

gago-gago

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gago-gago
Member since 2009 • 12138 Posts

I don't really care who comes out with this VR gimmicks because I feel like it just won't catch on when it comes to gaming. I feel like it's just good for short burst at a time and not your average period of playing games. If PSVR is priced that much and Sony is really focusing on VR for 2016, I feel like they're going to have a rough year. I think there's going to be a scramble to what to do next after VR fails. It would be a great time for Nintendo to come out with something better and for Xbox to continue to come out with traditional games as Playstation falls behind trying to make VR work. If I'm wrong I'm wrong but man VR is going to flop so bad especially at the introductory price of $400 to $600 bucks, GTFO.

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

@quadknight: And they will look like mobile games the minute you put on PsVr.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@ten_pints: $150 is stupid. The Gear VR, which utilizes an expensive smart phone for display and logic, is a $100 piece of tech. There's no way you're going to tack an OLED onto it and call it vr without some serious investment on the hardware front.

I get it. A lot of you are going to be dragged kicking and screaming into VR but try not to set the bar to asinine while you're at it. There are keyboards.. hell.. freaking mice that cost more than $150. If someone made a VR helmet this year for that cheap, I'm dead serious when I say that I would be worried about the recalls.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@spitfire-six: and you're being stupid, too. There are already gear vr games that require a controller to play. And, if you're honestly going to sit here and compare PS4s graphics output to a smartphone, I'll leave you to your hyperbole. Lort, you are off the mark.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#47 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

$400 wouldn't be a terrible starting point - collective cost would be somewhere between $800 and $900, assuming there is no pack-in software - and would provide Sony a useful barometer as to whether there is sufficient market interest to support such a device. I do wish I knew the extent of the disparity between OR and PSVR.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

hella wise like the Sega CD huh. I'm not sure there was ever, in the history of gaming, a peripheral created for a console that ever actually did that well in terms of popular support and sales. Perhaps the Wii board or Kinect came the closest to success but typically add on experiences just don't get very good support. Even the Nintendo light gun came with the NES and had terrible support with only a few crap games. Oculus Rift has the advantage of an open hardware platform and possible future support for Xbox plus could be for professional uses such as surgery simulation, virtual house or museum tours...etc and it's open for anyone to develop for. PS is quite a bit more limited. I suspect it will get marketed with a cool tech demo type game and some misc stuff and if it doesn't sell like hotcakes, it'll be dead in no time considering Sony's Move and Vita.

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

oh boy this is the xbox one price reveal all over again! this is the chance for sony to release it at a lower price and just let the money come in