PSVR Poisoning the well...

• 87 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

As a VR fan, I want PSVR to succeed, but it trips up too many times to wholeheartedly recommend at this point. Many of the launch titles will make a large percentage of people sick, and it may lead to the false impression that VR has to make you nauseated. If you have a PS4 and are dying to get PSVR, then I’d recommend the $499.99 bundle which includes the PlayStation Camera, two Move controllers, and PlayStation VR Worlds. If you have a PS4 and are simply curious about VR, I’d hold out until more titles are released. While there are a handful of fun titles, there’s nothing that I’ve played at launch so far to indicate to me that the PSVR is a must-buy right now. For everyone else, I’d recommend saving up for a better reality.

Full Review

Damn, I thought GS gave it the best peripheral award over Oculus and Vive, what went wrong. Why is it that Sony products only look good during demos. :P

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

This would worry me more than anything.

"Making sharp turns inDriveclub VR forced me to quickly take the headset off. Furthermore, playing Scavenger's Odyssey for 30 minutes, which is a mech game that takes place in space, not only made me feel sick, but its negative effects stayed with me for over an hour after I took the headset off."

For GS to be so brutal that would worry me alot. You can't really tell how it will affect you on a few minutes demo in Best Buy. Was always my concern about the PSVR. Hopefully the next wave of VR will fix this if it isn't already too late.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

The motion sickness and possible long term eye damage are the reasons I am staying away from all VR.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

Mangy poor cows just can't catch a break these dayzzz... on suicide watch confirmed. :P

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

Just give me the PS Pro...................that's all I want and need, VR is not appealing to me at all.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

Just give me the PS Pro...................that's all I want and need, VR is not appealing to me at all.

Hahahahahaa....

Sure after taking gamespot and gameinformer opinion as good...hahahhaahahaa

What a hypocrite..lol

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50552 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic: Are those effects not the same with other VR sets? Just curious as I really don't know much about VR. What would the other sets do that Ps doesn't to reduce sickness?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Chutebox

@chikenfriedrice: The eye thing has had me wondering for a while. Wouldn't having a screen right up in your face be terrible for your eyes?

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#9 Flyincloud1116
Member since 2014 • 6418 Posts

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

This^

More power to the people that want this. I tried it and it was cool, but I know I couldn't play it no more than 30 mins before I go really sick. Hell even TR and UC gave me some motion sickness.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

Don't worry next year you've got a proper VR console that people can use, and if it gets good reviews, and doesn't make you sick Sony will be called out

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Flyincloud1116

@FastRobby said:

Don't worry next year you've got a proper VR console that people can use, and if it gets good reviews, and doesn't make you sick Sony will be called out

Sure...

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

@tormentos said:
@BigShotSmoov007 said:

Hahahahahaa....

What a hypocrite..lol

But you would if they gave it a good review.

What a hypocrite..lol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@flyincloud1116 said:
@BigShotSmoov007 said:

This^

More power to the people that want this. I tried it and it was cool, but I know I couldn't play it no more than 30 mins before I go really sick. Hell even TR and UC gave me some motion sickness.

I'm sure they will get some enjoyment out of it but not my cup of tea at all. The last thing I want is to get sick playing a game LOL, that right there is a turn off to me and I don't even get motion sickness like that.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

@tormentos said:
@BigShotSmoov007 said:

Hahahahahaa....

What a hypocrite..lol

Dude you're an idiot lol.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

So thousands if not millions of people are going to unwrap this for Christmas, and then get sick. Merry Christmas everyone

-Sony

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 chikenfriedrice

@Chutebox said:

@chikenfriedrice: The eye thing has had me wondering for a while. Wouldn't having a screen right up in your face be terrible for your eyes?

All logic would say yes....I won't touch any of it until there are more studies done.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Chutebox

@chikenfriedrice: yup, same. Had surgery so I he could ditch glasses few years ago. Not going back!

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#18  Edited By commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@Chutebox said:

@blue_hazy_basic: Are those effects not the same with other VR sets? Just curious as I really don't know much about VR. What would the other sets do that Ps doesn't to reduce sickness?

Well it's clearly mentioned that the vive solved the motion sickness by using position sensors, so that you're able to walk around and that the movement in the game is synchronized with the movement in reality. I don't think vr is made to be sitting down, or it is for a racing game or flight sim. On the other hand, drive club vr gave the reviewer motion sickness as well. Maybe it's because driveclub is not made from the ground up for vr and/or the ps4 and psvr combo are simply not strong enough to give you fluid experience.

I can't see me using a vr headset for games when sitting down either, or it is of course for racing games and flight sims. I already know which room I'm going to use in the house when I get it, but I doubt it will the psvr. I rather spend some extra dough and not get sick.

I have been sick from computergames before and this mostly happens when I'm tired and/or play games at low framerate on a big screen. It's not a nice feeling and it will make you quit, then a few seconds later when you're laying down in foetus position praying for the feeling to pass, you curse yourself for not quitting sooner.

Flyincloud1116

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Flyincloud1116

@BigShotSmoov007 said:
@flyincloud1116 said:
@BigShotSmoov007 said:

This^

I'm sure they will get some enjoyment out of it but not my cup of tea at all. The last thing I want is to get sick playing a game LOL, that right there is a turn off to me and I don't even get motion sickness like that.

I don't on boats, but some games can make me feel a little queasy.

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
NathanDrakeSwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 NathanDrakeSwag
Member since 2013 • 17392 Posts

The faster PSVR bombs the better. I don't want Sony wasting resources on this shitty gimmick. Abandon it quick like Move and focus on real games.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 chikenfriedrice

@Chutebox said:

@chikenfriedrice: yup, same. Had surgery so I he could ditch glasses few years ago. Not going back!

I don't blame you...I wear glasses when I play games because contacts just get too blurry when playing. I want lasik myself.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56080 Posts

Let me know if there's a Hentai VR game for PSVR, me and my wallet will have a meeting to discuss buying PSVR.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 commander

@chikenfriedrice said:
@Chutebox said:

All logic would say yes....I won't touch any of it until there are more studies done.

I doubt that, your eye only gets damaged from too much light or too intense light, so if it's very close but dim, which it probably will be so it would not hurt your eyes I can't see this damaging your eyes.

You can get tired faster though and it's probably not good for youngsters where the eyes are still growing.

chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 chikenfriedrice

@commander said:
@chikenfriedrice said:
@Chutebox said:

I doubt that, your eye only gets damaged from too much light or too intense light, so if it's very close but dim, which it probably will be so it would not hurt your eyes I can't see this damaging your eyes.

You can get tired faster though and it's probably not good for youngsters where the eyes are still growing.

I don't know man.....this article was enough to deter me.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/sonys-new-playstation-vr-headset-8940998

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3021 Posts

Yes. Let's ignore all the good reviews coming in.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#26  Edited By speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Sony trying to kill its fanbase confirmed.

freedom01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 109

#27  Edited By freedom01
Member since 2004 • 3676 Posts

IGN gave it an 8.5/10

lets see what other sites will score/review it

Edit: so far I see positive reviews for it, except from GS

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By commander
@chikenfriedrice said:
@commander said:
@chikenfriedrice said:
@Chutebox said:

well, that's actually the only article I saw about that, I saw a lot more like these

https://youtu.be/hf478Xe9sL8

I let the video start from where he anwers the question if there's risk for long term damage or not.

Basically he says the same thing as a lot of others are saying, eye strain and fatigue.

Avatar image for deactivated-583c85dc33d18
deactivated-583c85dc33d18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 deactivated-583c85dc33d18
Member since 2016 • 1619 Posts

I have been worried that PSVR can only hurt the image of VR overall.

I hear good things about PC VR gaming, but unfortunately the truth will be that many people get introduced to VR gaming through the PS VR, and will never want to progress from that point. They'll always have that first impression in their mind.

Same thing seems to have happened with the Wii controller. With some great improvements, that controller could have served both as a traditional controller and motion controls in one offering access to a wider variety of genres and ways to play. Instead, it was only really pushed as a gimmicky motion controller with really bad latency resulting in a lot of games being waggle fests.

And now... motion controls are on their deathbed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5f26ed7cf0697
Member since 2002 • 7110 Posts

eh....good for people that want it. No thanks for me.

I'll cryosleep to the 24th century to actually experience True VR in a holodeck on board the Enterprise D.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Other websites though have said it's surprisingly good with motion sickness, so....ehhh?

RR360DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 RR360DD
Member since 2011 • 14099 Posts

Is anyone actually surprised? Just another failed peripheral to join Sonys looooong list.

Also, poor moogenja

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

Watch videos of this and it's games the whole thing looks like a awful gimmick, which will provide nothing other then shallow game experiences very much like the kinnect and the wii.

This is not just psvr but all of them. Great for an experience but not a long term investment

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

VR is like Gears 4, i get zero excitement for.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts

@darkspineslayer said:

Other websites though have said it's surprisingly good with motion sickness, so....ehhh?

I think it depends on the person and other factors. I've played games with no problems one day and then others they've given me motion sickness.

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts

So good reviews from those that don't get sick and bad from those that do (while justifiably ignoring everything else because "screw objectivity and everyone else i'm sick".) Sounds about right.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

Eurogamer liked the comfort and build quality. Regardless, VR is not for me.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Quicksilver128
Member since 2003 • 7075 Posts

@zeeshanhaider: Its getting pretty good reviews so far.

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

It's getting good reviews so far. Another worthless thread from a butthurt fanboy trying to sow some FUD.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Yea, I remember hearing about PSVR making people feel sick at E3. Today during the Giant Bomb stream there were multiple times when Jeff said the headset was making him feel bad the way the other two didn't.

lawlessx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 lawlessx
Member since 2004 • 48753 Posts

@blue_hazy_basic said:

This would worry me more than anything.

"Making sharp turns inDriveclub VR forced me to quickly take the headset off. Furthermore, playing Scavenger's Odyssey for 30 minutes, which is a mech game that takes place in space, not only made me feel sick, but its negative effects stayed with me for over an hour after I took the headset off."

For GS to be so brutal that would worry me alot. You can't really tell how it will affect you on a few minutes demo in Best Buy. Was always my concern about the PSVR. Hopefully the next wave of VR will fix this if it isn't already too late.

Don't they playtest these games? that's sounds crazy

Jereb31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Jereb31
Member since 2015 • 2025 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:
@commander said:
@chikenfriedrice said:
@Chutebox said:

Give it a shot with this!!!

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2014/04/rohto-z-pro-review-kind-of-like-pouring-acid-into-your-eyes-but-good/

Coincidentally has a pretty good one-liner in there. "Like liquid cocaine for your eyeballs!"

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts

@Chutebox said:

My experience has been that in VR experiences where I'm moving in the VR world but not moving in real life, I get motion sickness, which is why I sold my Oculus Rift and bought a Vive. The Vive has room-scale VR technology so that I can move around in the real world and my movements in the real world translate accurately to movements in the VR world and this prevents any motion sickness from occurring.

I've been fearing that PSVR would have a motion sickness problem since it is using the Playstation Camera instead of something like the Vive's room-scale tracking sensors, plus Sony has stated that their recommendation to developers is for seated VR experiences which are the kind of VR experiences that are most likely to cause motion sickness and that wandering around is not something that they are encouraging with their system.

Unfortunately, I feel that this could hurt VR since many people's first VR experience will be with the PSVR and many will probably assume that VR always leads to motion sickness and write it off as something that they never want to try again.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

The motion sickness and possible long term eye damage are the reasons I am staying away from all VR.

^ This...its probably good to try once...but long time play...just no. :P

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I'm curious if the motion sickness is more a symptom of the tactile feedback to head motion and the camera, or a symptom of the device's performance and framerate and resolution concerns. Honestly, I mean that head tracking might be cool for some games but I'm kind of curious if the PSVR can be substituted as being simply being used as a screen for that 3D effect, and all control and camera work comes from use of a controller and such.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

This is exactly my biggest concern with PSVR. You need a very powerful machine to run VR properly (particularly if you want fancy looking games). If you don't do it properly, you're going to make people sick, and potentially destroy the industry (specifically referring to Sony here).

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@SecretPolice: It takes PHONY to be this deceptive.

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

@Quicksilver128 said:

@zeeshanhaider: Its getting pretty good reviews so far.

How many of those are Sony's own publications? I can see PSU at the top.

@speak_low said:

http://www.metacritic.com/feature/playstation-vr-headset-reviews

TC got rekt again. Give up talking about VR. You suck at it.

Go back to your nude mods for Overwatch and TF2.

Thank you for the advise. They are infinitely more fun than motion sickness inducing cheap PSVR that is poisoning the VR market. By the way, any full feature AAA game coming to PSVR ala DOOM or Fallout 4?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

@Chutebox: VR sickness is mostly caused by artificial locomotion for instance when driving a fast car your body and mind expect to feel things like g forces or a follow through in momentum when you come to a sudden stop. When that doesn't happen it can turn your stomach and cause some nasty headaches.

This is in no way exclusive to PSVR -though the lower framerates on PSVR certainly don't help and just turning your head when the framerate is low can make your stomach churn. When playing room scale VR there is no motion sickness as you are walking, crouching etc just like you would in real life. Teleportation works well too especially when its done in a way that you can see what you are stepping into (like in Portal or Budget Cuts).

You can get used to the games that give motion sickness after a while but its not a nice feeling to have. I'll personally never play Windlands on my Vive ever again that is for sure.