PSN vs Xbox marketplace

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6060 Posts

Sorry if this has been done before.

I'm not talking about games or content. I'm talking about the layout, the ease of purchasing, and being able to find what you want fast.

I personally like psn better because it seems more like an actual store and not integrated all over the place. It feels more "clean" imo being that everything dealing with money/purchasing is all in one place.

lbjkurono23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 lbjkurono23
Member since 2007 • 12544 Posts

Sorry if this has been done before.

I'm not talking about games or content. I'm talking about the layout, the ease of purchasing, and being able to find what you want fast.

I personally like psn better because it seems more like an actual store and not integrated all over the place. It feels more "clean" imo being that everything dealing with money/purchasing is all in one place.

Ghost120x
The reasons you stated, plus it's easier(faster) to get in and out.
AngryJuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 AngryJuice
Member since 2011 • 305 Posts

PSN most defintly by a long shot. Don't like MS Points or XBL UI at all.

Though if this was a matter of content, XBLA would win by a long shot as well imo.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

PSN with PSN+ is awesome.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts
I'm a big fan of the Metro UI that MS has been using lately. I'd have to say PSN is cleaner, but I'll wait until after the dashboard update. I like something with more visual flare, and less like being buried in menus. Kinda how I always liked the Zune software better than iTunes
spike6958

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 spike6958
Member since 2005 • 6701 Posts
Yeah, PSN wins with the connivance of been able to use real cash instead of Microsoft Fun Coins, and a somewhat better layout, but to be honest, I find I can get in and out of the XBLM before the PSN Store has even loaded. XBLM does have the added bonus of been accessible from PC as well though, which I don't believe PSN has (correct me if I'm wrong).
TheSlyCooper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 TheSlyCooper
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
as for the layout i would say its a tie because the ps3 is a little disorganized cuz i remember i was looking for ps3 games and all of a sudden i see a psp game and it happen for the psp. but than again i like the look of the ps3 and it LOOKS organized as for the ease of purchasing i would say ps3 because xbox 360 has that points system where you cant even tell if you're getting ripped off our not but ps3 is just what the cost is in dollars
DressSage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DressSage
Member since 2011 • 145 Posts

I like PSN's layout better. xbox live can be annoying to work with :?

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

Much prefer PSN, it's a seperate store.

XBLA is all over the interface, barfing ads at you.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Rockman999
Member since 2005 • 7507 Posts
PSN simply because it has a search function. Having to manually search through a list is so archaic.
Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Rockman999
PSN simply because it has a search function. Having to manually search through a list is so archaic.
soapman72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 soapman72
Member since 2010 • 2714 Posts

ZombieKiller7

lol

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Yeah, PSN wins with the connivance of been able to use real cash instead of Microsoft Fun Coins, and a somewhat better layout, but to be honest, I find I can get in and out of the XBLM before the PSN Store has even loaded. XBLM does have the added bonus of been accessible from PC as well though, which I don't believe PSN has (correct me if I'm wrong).spike6958
I'm not sure if it's the full store, or the psp content only, but the media go program let's users browse and download through a PC
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
360 cause im already used to it
Ravensmash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Ravensmash
Member since 2010 • 13862 Posts
PSN simply because it has a search function. Having to manually search through a list is so archaic.Rockman999
You can search on XBLM. Filter it down to genre, newest, A-Z. Plus you can manually search on the website and purchase it from there.

ZombieKiller7
It's a store...
elbert_b_23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 elbert_b_23
Member since 2003 • 8247 Posts
i love the psn marketplace its easy to find what i want from games to dlc but i can't compire them because i wont buy a 360 so i don't know what xbla is like
dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts
PSN simply because it has a search function. Having to manually search through a list is so archaic.Rockman999
When does the XBL marketplace 'barf' ads at you? When the PSN store does the exact same thing. People saying that XBL Marketplace being more integrated into the system being a bad thing is hilarious.
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

ZombieKiller7
god, i hate when xbox tells me about the deals of the week. i hate saving money on arcade games and dlc :x
spookykid143

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 spookykid143
Member since 2009 • 10393 Posts

PSN it's easier to use and i hate MS points.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6060 Posts

[QUOTE="Rockman999"]PSN simply because it has a search function. Having to manually search through a list is so archaic.dotWithShoes
When does the XBL marketplace 'barf' ads at you? When the PSN store does the exact same thing. People saying that XBL Marketplace being more integrated into the system being a bad thing is hilarious.

What are you talking about? You have ad block on your 360? When I cut my xbox on all I see is forza stuff and ads convincing me to go gold. Sure the playstation store has ads because... it's a store- it's a space for sony to sell you stuff, so it's acceptable. (ex: amazon has ads all over) but psn never has ads in the xmb (start up menu for those who don't own a ps3)

Xbla is trying blend your own personal space (dashboard) with its market place that's the way I see it imo. No point in themes anymore with all that stuff in the way.

LvL9Mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 LvL9Mew
Member since 2011 • 57 Posts
psn is a little easier to use i guess, but id rather pay with microsoft points and have a little tougher time finding stuff (which will be gone come the new dash update to live) and have the choice from 10x as many arcade games plus demos and videos for almost every single game.
Deniable_Ops

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Deniable_Ops
Member since 2011 • 198 Posts
[QUOTE="Rockman999"]PSN simply because it has a search function. Having to manually search through a list is so archaic.dotWithShoes

PSN does not have Advertisements
Merex760

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Merex760
Member since 2008 • 4381 Posts
XBLM is the lone strength of the Xbox imo. Better games, more variety. It's an area Sony needs to work on.
Weenski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 Weenski
Member since 2011 • 990 Posts

PSN with PSN+ is awesome.

Bigboi500
Agreed
Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

I haven't seen the Live Marketplace in forever, but the PSN store is about as easy to use as I can imagine.

It was very bad when it was web based, but once they integrated it all those issues went away.

AdmiralBison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 AdmiralBison
Member since 2008 • 3970 Posts

PSN is slower -this should be common knowledge by now.

Has more windows to sift through to get to the store.

ccagracing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ccagracing
Member since 2006 • 845 Posts

I have both and the Xbox live system is prettier andfar easier to use.The marketplace is integrated into the OS, i dont need toclick an option to get it to load a new interface.I can search via genre, date of release, highest rated, a-z and when I bring up a title it offers me everything related to that title in a few simple tabs. It is also quicker to load and when I actually buy something, its far quicker to download. I do not think PS Store is bad, but it needs an overhaul as Xbox OS leaves it trailing and the next OS out shortly will push that on again.

I have seen the update for Sony's new video store on PSN and im impressed with it and its a step in the right direction, hopefully the XMB will follow suit.

Rockman999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Rockman999
[QUOTE="Rockman999"]PSN simply because it has a search function. Having to manually search through a list is so archaic.Ravensmash
You can search on XBLM. Filter it down to genre, newest, A-Z. Plus you can manually search on the website and purchase it from there.

I know that you can filter it down to certain criterias but you still have to search through a list. I'm talking about actually typing out the name of something and then seeing everything related to the search pop up. It's annoying when you're half-way down a huge list and you have to start over cause you accidentally tilted the analog or d-pad a little bit to the side. I shouldn't have to use the website to buy something when I'm already on the dashboard. I can't believe that it has taken 6 years for a simple search function to finally be added to the service.
Lto_thaG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Lto_thaG
Member since 2006 • 22611 Posts

XBL marketplace is better.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

Xbox live Marketplace.
Why?

1.you can go to xbox.com and search throughout the entire marketplace you can use this function alone to trump in speed, accuracy and power any psn marketplacefunction.
2.Xbox marketplace is easier to use and faster then psn its not a completely seperate app every thing is catagorized and easy to find.

Notes:there are no ad's on the marketplace there are links to popular games people or persons saying there are ads once you get into the games marketplace are lying I don't go to the games marketplace tab and see a bunch of car ad's I see popular video games and the like THE SAME THING YOU SEE ON PSN game marketplace.
The only thing psn marketplace trumps xbox live is actual usage of money but that has a problem as well since you are required to put more then 5 dollars in your wallet you can purchase things and have money left over I dont really feel like having money left over if I dont have too and there is no reason for the 5 dollar requirement just like theirs no reason to have left over ms pointsso in the end its really the same issue points usually allow you to buy a thing without having any left over but sometimes you have left over points you can purchase direct with psn but sometimes you have left over cash.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 WilliamRLBaker
[QUOTE="Rockman999"][QUOTE="Ravensmash"] You can search on XBLM. Filter it down to genre, newest, A-Z. Plus you can manually search on the website and purchase it from there. sts106mat
I know that you can filter it down to certain criterias but you still have to search through a list. I'm talking about actually typing out the name of something and then seeing everything related to the search pop up. It's annoying when you're half-way down a huge list and you have to start over cause you accidentally tilted the analog or d-pad a little bit to the side. I shouldn't have to use the website to buy something when I'm already on the dashboard. I can't believe that it has taken 6 years for a simple search function to finally be added to the service.

i think with the new update you can say the name of the game (kinect) or whatever and everything to do with it will be displayed.

you can also text search on the new update.
racing1750

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 racing1750
Member since 2010 • 14567 Posts

[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="Rockman999"]PSN simply because it has a search function. Having to manually search through a list is so archaic.Ghost120x

What are you talking about? You have ad block on your 360? When I cut my xbox on all I see is forza stuff and ads convincing me to go gold. Sure the playstation store has ads because... it's a store- it's a space for sony to sell you stuff, so it's acceptable. (ex: amazon has ads all over) but psn never has ads in the xmb (start up menu for those who don't own a ps3)

Xbla is trying blend your own personal space (dashboard) with its market place that's the way I see it imo. No point in themes anymore with all that stuff in the way.

It's ads for crying out loud. Who cares? PSN or XBL could have 15 ads of burger king on the start up and I'd not care, and might even go and buy a cheeseburger.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 WilliamRLBaker

[QUOTE="dotWithShoes"][QUOTE="Rockman999"]PSN simply because it has a search function. Having to manually search through a list is so archaic.Ghost120x

LOL there are no ads on the marketplace. My xbox go up you arrive at Games marketplace you hit A your taken to teh games marketplace no ad's in there....samething happens on psn marketplace when you boot it up *which it takes about 8 seconds since its a completely seperate app* boom links to popular movies and games and such. and my themes work just fine I can see them they change the colors of most every thing premium themes change the background images of areas and change the my friends area with little scenes my friends avatars are in.
XileLord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 XileLord
Member since 2007 • 3776 Posts

As much as I perfer the 360 as my gaming console I'd have to say PSN offers the better store hands down. I can go to the playstation store and everything that I buy is based off a real currency but with Xbox 360 you have to buy microsoft points with real money and then use those points to buy the content you want. The problem with this is in turn it ultimately means you have to pay more for the content you want. I'll use the prices here in Canada for a example

1000 microsoft points for 15$

You buy with those points lets say some Fallout DLC (800 points)

You have 200 points left

You want to buy some more Fallout DLC

You don't have the option of only buying 800 points, you're forced to buy the 1000 points package again so you have to pay 15$.

You buy the Fallout DLC and have 400 points left over, that's 400 points you never intended to spend.

With PSN you just pay directly for the content so you are never forced to pay more money.