PSN vs XBL, server security still a hot topic?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

-Rhett81-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By -Rhett81-
Member since 2002 • 3569 Posts

I see this topic come up every time there's an Xbox vs PlayStation argument:

"XBL is better because it wasn't hacked like PSN." Is this point even relevant anymore, or do people still take this into consideration when trying to have a legitimate console argument?

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts

Still relevant to me since my personal data was stolen and probably sold to somebody who could potentially use it to steal my identity. That would cause me a lot of headaches trying to clear it up with the credit reporting agencies.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Lots of companies get hacked, its how they secure their customers data is the issue here. Sony did not secure their customers data correctly, that is why people were so angry. I mean, Valve was hacked not long ago but they used salted and hashed databases so even if hackers got the data there was little they could do with.

-Rhett81-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By -Rhett81-
Member since 2002 • 3569 Posts

Sony learned the hard way about why data security is important. However, today, is it still a good point to bring up when deciding between XB1 and PS4? Or is PSN getting hacked ancient history now?

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

@HadOne2Many said:

Still relevant to me since my personal data was stolen and probably sold to somebody who could potentially use it to steal my identity. That would cause me a lot of headaches trying to clear it up with the credit reporting agencies.

Wow, guess it is.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

Provided Sony took the steps needed to better protect customer data from potential intrusions in the future? No, it's not relevant anymore. However, I'm sure some people won't move forward with Sony again, and that's the price they pay for their mistakes. I'd venture that the vast majority of consumers it's been completely forgotten, with Most mentions of it at this point coming from fanboys/haters looking for a talking point.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Nope, none at all. My credit card is happily sitting on PSN.

KittenNose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By KittenNose
Member since 2014 • 2470 Posts

Anyone who cared about extremely basic cyber security would update their passwords across all services at least once every 72 days. This describes an extremely tiny percentage of gamers.

Yeah, Sony dropped the ball hard, but at the end of the day the general disdain our culture has for basic cyber security is responsible for far more theft of accounts and theft of personal information then anything else. I mean come on, how many people let their kids set up their own MS/PS accounts? This is just a talking point, not an actual issue.

HadOne2Many

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HadOne2Many
Member since 2012 • 1485 Posts

@hehe101 said:

@HadOne2Many said:

Wow, guess it is.

Just to clarify my stance, I don't go around mentioning it out of the blue, but when someone brings it up (such as this thread) I do remind people that it does still matter. I have purchased Sony products since and will still do so in the future, but I will never provide them any more personal info. I'll use prepaid cards if I want something off the PSN.

@kittennose in addition to our CC info, they got the following information:

* Name

* Address (city, state, zip code)

* Country

* Email address

* Date of birth

* PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login

* Handle/PSN online ID

How is that not an issue?

Avatar image for deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By deactivated-5f19d4c9d7318
Member since 2008 • 4166 Posts
@FastRobby said:

Does Sony have a two-step verification for their accounts? Because Microsoft does. So that would be a + point for XBL, but I think athe security from both companies servers are probably decent, and better since the Sony hack.

Most of it's not about hacks and software security imo but phishing and social engineering. I believe they've both struggled on that front.

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

well since the PS4 was already hacked less then 2 months after its release

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/01/01/derp-hacker-group-unintentionally-takes-down-psn-dcuo-after-targeting-planetside-2/

and the fact it was done on accident. Shows that PSN security is not any good still. Also that PS4 PSN shares an account or servers with DCUO and PS2. its funny how we learn about this stuff after major attacks. Like the big outage of 2007 when we learned that sony never had servers and was renting them from amazon. Now 7 years later and sony still hosts PSN on amazon instead of getting their own servers. Its sad if you ask me

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@FastRobby said:

@darkangel115 said:

well since the PS4 was already hacked less then 2 months after its release

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2014/01/01/derp-hacker-group-unintentionally-takes-down-psn-dcuo-after-targeting-planetside-2/

and the fact it was done on accident. Shows that PSN security is not any good still. Also that PS4 PSN shares an account or servers with DCUO and PS2. its funny how we learn about this stuff after major attacks. Like the big outage of 2007 when we learned that sony never had servers and was renting them from amazon. Now 7 years later and sony still hosts PSN on amazon instead of getting their own servers. Its sad if you ask me

Because they rent them is also the reason they'll never compete with Microsoft who has their own servers. It would just cost too much.

well in all fairness. even if they rented every single server amazon has (which isn't possible) and they dedicated every one to PSN for PS4, they would still only have 1/3rd of the servers MS has for the XB1. And its really sad how people ignore this and make it a cloud joke, yet the PS4 having a GPU that is literally like 5 dollars cost more and barely better, makes it an uber powerful super computer gaming machine. Since when did sony fans turn into a sony cult?

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6846 Posts

Although I'd wager MSFT is more secure, I still feel safe with Sony. Fortunately they're seeing some revenue, hopinh they'll invest it wisely.

killatwill15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 killatwill15
Member since 2013 • 855 Posts

it doesn't matter if both companies give it to the nsa,

what if someone where to hack the nsa instead?

Spitfire-Six

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Spitfire-Six
Member since 2014 • 1378 Posts

I will never again trust Sony with personal information. This was the biggest driving point for me to buy an xbox.