PS5 will happen it seems, what are your thoughts?

cyberpunk_2077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 cyberpunk_2077
Member since 2015 • 627 Posts

What will you do if this turns out to be solid, what will it do to the X box one X and will pro owners start trading in now?

Still very early but what are your thoughts on this?.

iandizion713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#2  Edited By iandizion713
Member since 2005 • 16025 Posts

Yeah, just trade in for one. Thats IF, Gamestop survives. Muahahaha!

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34666 Posts

Say what? The makers of PS, PS2, PS3 and PS4 will make a PS5?

Well I'm shocked, frankly.

cyberpunk_2077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 cyberpunk_2077

@Litchie: Well I did expect a Xbox 2 then a 3 and so on but Microsoft seemed to be struggling with the numbering game.

ArchoNils2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 ArchoNils2
Member since 2005 • 10534 Posts

@Litchie said:

To be fair, there is no PSP2 and no Vita 2 :P

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Well, i'm not a PRO owner and i was never going to get the bonexxxxbbxxonex.

Can't wait for the PS5.

Ghost120x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Ghost120x
Member since 2009 • 6059 Posts

I hope it doesn't come out for a while. I feel like a new gen is not really needed yet.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

It will be a few years before it comes out. By then, XoneX will have stolen market share, and been out for a few years, so I would expect PS5 to have more power at that point.

Personally, I like the idea of MS and Sony staggering their releases so we effectively get itterative power increases but not in the dumb manor of the way ps4 pro was handled.

l34052

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 l34052
Member since 2005 • 3906 Posts

I hope Sony don't rush a console out as a knee jerk reaction to the bone x, it's really not needed. The ps4 has barely got into its stride and there's more there to be used.

I'm quite happy to wait another 2-3yrs for a shock the world powerhouse console, let microsoft flop around like a fish out of water releasing half assed consoles trying to compete.

Sony should maintain dignity and keep on doin what they're doin all the while quietly working on their next console.

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

I think with the shortened lifespan of consoles an XboxX and PS4 pro are a scam if you already have a current gen console

Mercenary848

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Mercenary848
Member since 2007 • 12141 Posts

@l34052: My sentiments exactly. People need to stop thinking like fans, and think like smart consumers

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9578 Posts

Gee, what an absolute shocker. There will also be a PS6. You heard it here first.. just like you heard there would be a PS5. Do I have inside information? lol... hell no.. just common sense. Not so common these days though.

soul_starter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 soul_starter
Member since 2013 • 1377 Posts

Of course PS5 will happen!

I do not think it will happen soon, at leats not till 2019. However, even if this gen does last another 18 months or so, it will be the most lacklustre generation in terms of AAA titles ever.

MooseWayne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MooseWayne
Member since 2017 • 361 Posts

Bold move they skip 5 and go right to 6 that's how powerful it will be.

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#15 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

Won't buy it, I keep buying Sony product and every time i'm disappointed.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#16  Edited By svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

This was expected but meh, PS4 has been a huge bust for me so far. So I could care less.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

OF ourse PS5 will happen. The only question for me has been will they finally add some kind of backwards compatibility by then? Microsoft has been sucking this gen but at least i am seeing positive signs on bc with them as of late. Til then I'll keep rockin my pc and switch.

cyberpunk_2077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 cyberpunk_2077

@WitIsWisdom: Well what were your thoughts or is sarcasm the only thing you're capable of?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@cyberpunk_2077 said:

@WitIsWisdom: Well what were your thoughts or is sarcasm the only thing you're capable of?

While I am quite capable of sarcasm, and it's one of my more charming character traits used in such glorious fashion, I shall reiterate what I have said many times on these forums once more.

It is (or should be) completely obvious to most people that the PS5 is all but a certainty and has been for several years. Right now SONY is riding the high of the PS4, and really only had a stumble with the PS3 because of the initial high price, strange architecture, and certain mysteries surrounding SONY not being completely transparent with the consumer base from the very start. Did you really think that SONY WOULD NOT produce a PS5 after all the recent success with the PS4? You don't throw the chips all in, or pull them all out, when the running is good. The writing has been on the wall for a long time. Yes, there will be a PS5, yes, it will probably be rushed a bit if the X1X is a huge success (which it wont be), and yes, they planned on making a PS5 for several years... The PR talk "we aren't sure if we are going to have a bla bla bla" is just that... PR mumbo jumbo to keep people interested in their CURRENT PRODUCT.

What did you and others think that SONY was just going to pull out of the race when they are on top of the world? lol. They have said from the beginning that the Pro, which is called a P S FOUR PRO is just a more powerful console that stays within the PS4 family. Meaning? There WILL be a PS5 after the pro runs its course. It really isn't that difficult of a thing to look into and make an educated guess about. The only people saying there WOULDN'T be a PS5 were Xbox fanboys quoting PR talk as if it were gospel.. lol.

Does this do a better job at explaining where I am coming from? If not, I am more than willing to give you or anyone else for that matter a complete rundown on business, business ethics, and retail sales. Talking about future products at the HEIGHT of popularity and sales of a current product is just bad juju and could ONLY be bad for sales. SONY isn't stupid, no possible way there wasn't a PS5 planned before the PS4 even hit the shelves... unless the PS4 completely bombed... which they knew it wouldn't from the start.

Now, if you are looking for a "should I buy a X1X or just wait for the PS5?" answer, and that's what this thread is all about, then here are my thoughts on THAT.

The X1X will likely not have it's own library UNLESS SONY pushes forward with the PS5 faster than anticipated, and that would also mean that the X1X is selling very well. I don't believe this will happen.. I feel the X1X will have a fair deal of success (within its own rights) but will not hit those marks. (I will likely buy a X1X because I fall within that certain niche gamer they will market to)

So, unless you are thrilled with your Xbox One I would PERSONALLY save my money and just buy a PS5. The PS5 will have it's own identity with its OWN library of games (I really hope next gen doesn't have as many re-masters and crap like that.. it's getting old), where as the X1X is very unlikely to be able to claim the same. Either way, I feel the X1X is really targeting a niche market and don't feel it is a great idea for MS since once again they are putting the ball in SONY's court. Look at it like a game of poker.. SONY is in the better position. The PS5 will kill it.. guaranteed.... and they have the ability to either hold it back if the X1X doesn't do so well, or push it forward faster if the X1X kills it. So, if you want to know which is the "best bet" it is EASILY the PS5... but then again, we are talking about two COMPLETELY different entities and comparing the two isn't really fair since the X1X is an extension of the X1 like the Pro is for the PS4. Which also (ironically) shows each companies plans at having at least one more console generation.. but my money would be on more... and yes.. at this point I would expect mid gen upgrades for those newer consoles as well. MS is really pressing and I wouldn't be surprised at all if they DO decide to give the X1X some of its own games (regardless of success, or in direct correlation to overwhelming or underwhelming sales), which would force SONY's hand. Either way, SONY is sitting in the catbird seat so to speak, and there is more than one way to skin a cat (errr... arachnid?) if you catch my drift.

All in all, I wish BOTH the best of luck, but it isn't hard to see who has momentum. I seriously doubt that SONY will get complacent and arrogant like they did with the PS3 ever again, but who knows. I feel that MS handled the momentum shift HORRIBLY, and simply handed it right back to SONY. Either way it should be fun to watch moving forward.

GetsLaidAlot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#20 GetsLaidAlot
Member since 2017 • 121 Posts

Of coarse it will, Sony is dominating the market. They will get a jump-start on the nextbox and continue winning into next gen.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

Of course PS5 will happen. The real question is, will Sony keep their dominant position in the console market?

Nintendo's Switch won't be enough to hurt Playstation's domination. (third party is still not on par, weak, ...)

It all depends on MS's move.

But even then, I don't see MS doing anything revolutionary to convince gamers to convert to Xbox.

Chances are PS5 will continue the domination set by PS4.

cyberpunk_2077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 cyberpunk_2077

@WitIsWisdom: Wow...didn't quite expect such response but fair do's. Respect and many thanks to you sir.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Wow, the One X really has them worried.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@cyberpunk_2077 said:

@WitIsWisdom: Wow...didn't quite expect such response but fair do's. Respect and many thanks to you sir.

Thanks man. If you're not first your last right?

Seriously though, I use sarcasm to deflect myself away from going into such vast amounts of detail, and as a way to show my interest in a subject without adding too much of my opinion. My wife always gets that "oh no, here we go again" look (lmao). If what I say elicits a response then I feel the door has opened and everyone obviously wants a detailed explanation of why I feel so strongly ;) lol

I am always down for a discussion based on subject matters such as these, but also forget that not everyone follows the gaming industry or market as closely as I do.

Now I just need to work on that "middle ground" I have the extremes taken care of... oh well, I love to write, so I guess it all works out in the end.

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

@l34052 said:

I hope Sony don't rush a console out as a knee jerk reaction to the bone x, it's really not needed. The ps4 has barely got into its stride and there's more there to be used.

I'm quite happy to wait another 2-3yrs for a shock the world powerhouse console, let microsoft flop around like a fish out of water releasing half assed consoles trying to compete.

Sony should maintain dignity and keep on doin what they're doin all the while quietly working on their next console.

My thoughts exactly. I'm still having plenty of fun playing games from this gen and they all look and play great. They should definitely wait a few years to release the best possible successor to the PS4. The only console I'm seriously excited for and wanting to purchase is The Nintendo Switch tbh

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Question is why wouldn't it be a PS5?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#27 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59071 Posts

PC.

NeonicTrash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By NeonicTrash
Member since 2010 • 549 Posts

@l34052 said:
let microsoft flop around like a fish out of water releasing half assed consoles trying to compete.

Nice logic you have going there.

Releasing a great, slimmed revision of the launch X1 with S last year has resulted in good sales, and in fact the X1 S outsold the PS4 certain months last year, that is neither flopping around or trying to compete, that is beating it in sales.

The X1 S with its 4k blu ray player and 4k upscaling does things the base and Pro PSs cannot do. Nothing half assed about it.

The general consensus, even among PS4 users, whether they bought the Pro or not, is that the Pro was half assed. It was marketed as an upgraded console capable of significantly better graphics, but they didn't invest enough into the GPU upgrade, or do the kind of memory increases or CPU upgrades MS did with the 1X to yield truly greater results than we've seen this gen. Sony couldn't even be bothered to include a 4k blu ray player, when they helped develop the original blu ray format, talk about half assed.

There is absolutely nothing half assed about the 1X, and as long as Spencer is at the helm, Xbox has gone back to its roots, being about POWER, they will never be outshined by Sony in specs as long as they maintain current leadership. Anything Sony does with PS5, MS will be ready to top them again just like they are this year.

If you actually researched everything the S and X can do compared to both PS4s, you'd know feature wise the Xboxes dwarf the Playstations. Sony's E3 was the absolute best example of how low they're setting the bar for themselves, and what they're willing to give its customers, since they lead in sales they're just not going to go above and beyond in regards to pretty much anything, whether that's allowing mods, cross play, or things like EA Access, they clearly don't feel inclined to provide the best value they can to their customers.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@NeonicTrash said:
@l34052 said:
let microsoft flop around like a fish out of water releasing half assed consoles trying to compete.

Releasing a great, slimmed revision of the launch X1 with S last year has resulted in good sales, and in fact the X1 S outsold the PS4 certain months last year, that is neither flopping around or trying to compete, that is beating it in sales.

The X1 S with its 4k blu ray player and 4k upscaling does things the base and Pro PSs cannot do. Nothing half assed about it.

The general consensus, even among PS4 users, whether they bought the Pro or not, is that the Pro was half assed. It was marketed as an upgraded console capable of significantly better graphics, but they didn't invest enough into the GPU upgrade, or do the kind of memory increases or CPU upgrades MS did with the 1X to yield truly greater results than we've seen this gen. Sony couldn't even be bothered to include a 4k blu ray player, when they helped develop the original blu ray format, talk about half assed.

There is absolutely nothing half assed about the 1X, and as long as Spencer is at the helm, Xbox has gone back to its roots, being about POWER, they will never be outshined by Sony in specs as long as they maintain current leadership. Anything Sony does with PS5, MS will be ready to top them again just like they are this year.

If you actually researched everything the S and X can do compared to both PS4s, you'd know feature wise the Xboxes dwarf the Playstations. Sony's E3 was the absolute best example of how low they're setting the bar for themselves, and what they're willing to give its customers, since they lead in sales they're just not going to go above and beyond in regards to pretty much anything, whether that's allowing mods, cross play, or things like EA Access, they clearly don't feel inclined to provide the best value they can to their customers.

....aaaaannnnddd still in second place by a lot

The-A-Baum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 The-A-Baum
Member since 2015 • 1370 Posts

@drlostrib: 11% in the US is not a lot.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

Guess Microsoft Quits console business and then Atari Replaces them.(They are making a new Atari it seems)

schu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 schu
Member since 2003 • 10191 Posts

@drlostrib said:
@NeonicTrash said:
@l34052 said:

....aaaaannnnddd still in second place by a lot

doesn't necessarily justify sony's hardware strategy, maybe software strategy

Valgaav_219

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Valgaav_219
Member since 2017 • 3130 Posts

@the-a-baum said:

What about the rest of the world..?

Amnesiac23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

User Lists: 2

#34  Edited By Amnesiac23
Member since 2006 • 8470 Posts

Of course it will happen. I am sure they will be making consoles for a long time. Hopefully they won't rush the PS5...

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

I'll trade in my Pro when they release the PS5 since I expect it to be fully BC with the PS4.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

@the-a-baum said:

whatever makes you feel better

EnergyAbsorber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By EnergyAbsorber
Member since 2005 • 5112 Posts

I want the PS5 to be powerful enough to have 4K at 60FPS as the standard.

Both the Pro and even the X1X have bottlenecked CPUs.

So hopefully the PS5 will break the trend and won't have an ancient CPU next gen.

djura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 djura
Member since 2016 • 542 Posts

@cyberpunk_2077: To be honest, I'm not sure what you're expecting people to say. Of course there will be some new PlayStation hardware at some point (although nobody knows what it will be called). There will also be new Xbox and Nintendo hardware at some point, too.

I think it's far too early for anyone to say anything meaningful about these new platforms when nobody knows a) when they will be released or b) what they will actually be.

My only comment is that I hope Sony and Microsoft continue to keep backwards compatibility in mind, in terms of ensuring that new hardware is built on architecture that can facilitate that fairly easily.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

PS5 will happen it seems, what are your thoughts?

1. No shit.

2. Meh.

It's just another box I'll eventually want to pick up in order to play a handful of good exclusives. I don't get excited for new consoles anymore. The massive leaps are far behind us and it's not like you're investing in some huge exclusive library. So to me, it's just another paywall to get to a handful of games. The only big positive for me is that with a new generation of consoles comes a raised bar for multiplats.

All I know is that this time around I will not be an early adopter lol. Unless it gets some absolute must play titles early on, I'll probably give it 3 or 4 years before jumping in. Maybe wait and see if they do a mid-gen refresh. Because really, with the PS4 I might as well have waited for the Pro.

thereal25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#40  Edited By thereal25
Member since 2011 • 2074 Posts

@Litchie said:

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@EnergyAbsorber: The pro and the XoneX are just mid gen upgrades which is why they still have the bottlenecks. But even if the PS5 is ungodly powerful developers can and probably will still make games at 30 fps to get prettier games out.

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

Better controller with better battery capabilities is one of my top recommendations

drop the VR shit, it won't work.. its a shitty gimmick and the sales prove it

add BC

4k Blu ray player but that will pretty much be mandatory

another damn infamous game.

I'm willing to give sony a chance again with the PS5

nomadic8280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 nomadic8280
Member since 2017 • 476 Posts

@Litchie said:

My thoughts exactly

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

Ummmm of course there will be a PS5.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#45 superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

PS5 will happen just not until 2020 or later.. :P

cyberpunk_2077

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 cyberpunk_2077

@WitIsWisdom said:
@cyberpunk_2077 said:

Thanks man. If you're not first your last right?

Seriously though, I use sarcasm to deflect myself away from going into such vast amounts of detail, and as a way to show my interest in a subject without adding too much of my opinion. My wife always gets that "oh no, here we go again" look (lmao). If what I say elicits a response then I feel the door has opened and everyone obviously wants a detailed explanation of why I feel so strongly ;) lol

I am always down for a discussion based on subject matters such as these, but also forget that not everyone follows the gaming industry or market as closely as I do.

Now I just need to work on that "middle ground" I have the extremes taken care of... oh well, I love to write, so I guess it all works out in the end.

Haha..nah I appreciate a discussion where I can get one especially when it involves gaming. Perhaps I should have thought out a better titled topic but I guess excitement got the better of me, that and the fact that I'm trying to get into the forum thing....what ever that is these days.

I'm glad I knocked on that door as I'm all for what people think and feel about such topics. I'd love to be able to write as you did and perhaps stuff like this helps lol.