PS5 VS PS4 loading speed showcase

  • 69 results
  • 1
  • 2
Avatar image for Ant_17
#1 Posted by Ant_17 (12554 posts) -

Avatar image for Sevenizz
#2 Posted by Sevenizz (3908 posts) -

*twirls finger*

Avatar image for sakaixx
#3 Posted by sakaiXx (5707 posts) -

Cool

Avatar image for drlostrib
#4 Posted by DrLostRib (5002 posts) -

it'd be cool if they do get rid of loading times, because that is one of the more annoying things on consoles

Avatar image for tormentos
#5 Posted by tormentos (29191 posts) -

@drlostrib said:

it'd be cool if they do get rid of loading times, because that is one of the more annoying things on consoles

On consoles and PC even installed PC games have loading,alto with SSD they are shorten greatly.

I don't think loading screens will be gone,maybe a huge improvement but gone i don't think so,see to believe i call.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#6 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1558 posts) -

Looking good!

I also doubt Xbox Scarlett's loading time will be even faster than Xbox One!

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#7 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4752 posts) -

Having games that can load instantaneously next gen would be like...

Avatar image for son-goku7523
#8 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

That's a huge improvement. Looking forward to the faster loading times next gen for sure.

The loading times this gen are one of the most annoying parts of gaming.

Avatar image for hrt_rulz01
#9 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18989 posts) -

Awesome.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#10 Posted by Archangel3371 (28154 posts) -

Always great to see loading times decrease. Having said that though this is a PS4 game so I’ll be more interested in seeing what an actual PS5 developed game’s load times will be like. I’m sure they’ll still be nicely short though.

Avatar image for that_old_guy
#11 Posted by That_Old_Guy (1236 posts) -

Awesome.

Loading screens for me are the penalty for dying in games.

I don’t need items lost or XP taken away.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#12 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3248 posts) -

I would hope next gen would be a huge improvement over the Pro... That’s really not saying much

Avatar image for Pedro
#13 Posted by Pedro (34953 posts) -

Awesome move and focus for Sony.

Avatar image for i_p_daily
#14 Posted by I_P_Daily (12031 posts) -

So we've gone from no loading times to faster loading times lol

THCBO

Avatar image for rzxv04
#15 Posted by rzxv04 (686 posts) -

@mclarenmaster18 said:

Looking good!

I also doubt Xbox Scarlett's loading time will be even faster than Xbox One!

I seriously doubt that the next gen xbox won't ride this fast loading train.

I believe that PS and XB will both raise standards for the base storage for AAA development and won't be too far from each other in this aspect.

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#16 Posted by KBFloYd (21859 posts) -

wow next gen is here lmao

Avatar image for navyguy21
#17 Posted by navyguy21 (15247 posts) -

Great move for consoles.

They are essentially using the fast SSD speeds to cache the game into RAM like a few game engines do currently on PC providing they have the RAM.

This is why some games have such short inital loads or loads after dying.

Most of the game data resides in RAM.

Next Gen will need more than 12GB of RAM obviously

Avatar image for ps360
#18 Edited by PS360 (25 posts) -

Don't drink too much of the Koolaid, this is being shown on a current generation game with current generation scale, LoD's, engine, texture limitations etc.

The Xbox One X effectively eliminates loading entirely in some Xbox 360 games which is conceptually the same thing as this, last gen game loading almost instantaneously on next-gen hardware.

Food for thought.

Avatar image for tormentos
#19 Posted by tormentos (29191 posts) -

@ps360 said:

Don't drink too much of the Koolaid, this is being shown on a current generation game with current generation scale, LoD's, engine, texture limitations etc.

The Xbox One X effectively eliminates loading entirely in some Xbox 360 games which is conceptually the same thing as this, last gen game loading almost instantaneously on next-gen hardware.

Food for thought.

Dude data on 360 games is 7.4GB with extremely low assets vs a game like today that is more than 50GB on low settings,the jump from 360 to xbox one X or even xbox one is greater than the jump you will see from PS4 to PS5 ,A PS4 game now is a PC game with lower assets you take Spider man and run it on a 2080 with higher quality assets and you are essentially in the next gen.

While i don't expect loading to be eliminate anything done to reduce them will be great , in the way this probably works,loading data on Ram the whole data will never be load as no console will have enough ram to store a complete game,the xbox one X could load an xbox 360 game completely in Ram, and still have enough ram to emulate the game with higher quality.

Games like RDR2 are 100GB even without having ultra high quality textures.

I am sure spiderman was use as example because it has many buildings if you scroll fast you start to see buildings pop in.

Spider man on PS4 Pro doesn't equate to a 360 game when the PS5 hit,remember the PS Pro is a mid gen release,the jump you will get from PS4 pro to PS5 will not be as big as PS3 to PS4,even less if we consider that PS3 games for years pass 30GB and even more because of Blu-ray while MS games were constricted to 7.4GB of DVD 9.

@i_p_daily said:

So we've gone from no loading times to faster loading times lol

THCBO

The article that first claim this on the other thread doesn't say zero loading.

In fact talks about loading the data faster vs how long it takes on the Pro essentially the same that is been say here but here is been shown.

By the way 0.8 second to load and some how you still crying for real? Man i would love that all my damn games loaded in 0.8 seconds it would be incredible,if sony is able to pull this off as they just show it,yeah the basically can claim that loading are things of the past.

Avatar image for calvincfb
#20 Edited by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

This, pretty much, confirms PS4 BC

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#21 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31207 posts) -

Faster loading for current games.

Next gen games will be bigger, have higher resolution textures and assets so an increase in loading.

So add those two together and we'll be in the same spot, with the same loading times.

Avatar image for tormentos
#22 Posted by tormentos (29191 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

Faster loading for current games.

Next gen games will be bigger, have higher resolution textures and assets so an increase in loading.

So add those two together and we'll be in the same spot, with the same loading times.

Ok so i have seen this argument twice in this thread.

First things first PS4 games are huge,in fact Spiderman is some 45GB or more,there is no way to load all that data in Ram at any given time on PS5 unless it has 64GB of ram and even so games like RDR2 are 100GB long, so loading spiderman in just 0.8 seconds is huge,and will potentially eliminate long load times even on bigger games,trying to say that as game will be bigger we will be in the same spot is not quite accurate at all.

The game doesn't need to be completely loaded in one pass to make those loading seem invisible or close.

Avatar image for davillain-
#23 Posted by DaVillain- (36927 posts) -
@goldenelementxl said:

I would hope next gen would be a huge improvement over the Pro... That’s really not saying much

I'm not really expecting much of any huge improvements over PS5 capabilities, as long as PS5 has good exclusive games, it's what really matter. The rest, can be discuss later.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#24 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3248 posts) -

@davillain-: Well I’ve got some bad news for you... How important is it that a game is exclusive?

Avatar image for davillain-
#25 Posted by DaVillain- (36927 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: I'm hoping for Knack 3 at least :)

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#26 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31207 posts) -
@tormentos said:

Ok so i have seen this argument twice in this thread.

First things first PS4 games are huge,in fact Spiderman is some 45GB or more,there is no way to load all that data in Ram at any given time on PS5 unless it has 64GB of ram and even so games like RDR2 are 100GB long, so loading spiderman in just 0.8 seconds is huge,and will potentially eliminate long load times even on bigger games,trying to say that as game will be bigger we will be in the same spot is not quite accurate at all.

The game doesn't need to be completely loaded in one pass to make those loading seem invisible or close.

My current PS4 has 1TB of space.

Next gen games will be bigger still, so we will at least need a 512GB or 1TB SSD. That will cost a lot of money bro. I'm thinking the basic model won't come with an SSD, with an option to buy a pro model with faster loading times.

Avatar image for superfluousreal
#27 Posted by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

Load times.

Nothing else from next gen?

Avatar image for mandzilla
#28 Posted by Mandzilla (4109 posts) -

That's quite an improvement, impressive!

Avatar image for Gatygun
#29 Posted by Gatygun (1528 posts) -

@superfluousreal said:

Load times.

Nothing else from next gen?

Kinda funny tho. Like they discovered 5200 rpm harddrive are trash and ssd exists in the year 2019.

Avatar image for Xabiss
#30 Posted by Xabiss (2711 posts) -

Day one purchase for me. I think this next generation is going to be awesome hardware wise. A lot of cool components that help with speed have gotten a lot cheaper since the last generation.

Avatar image for tormentos
#31 Posted by tormentos (29191 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

My current PS4 has 1TB of space.

Next gen games will be bigger still, so we will at least need a 512GB or 1TB SSD. That will cost a lot of money bro. I'm thinking the basic model won't come with an SSD, with an option to buy a pro model with faster loading times.

I know they will be bigger,that is one concern i have because SSD prices are not even close to how prices were for 500GB drives in 2013, 1 TB still is like a $100 when on those days 500GB drives were like 50 dollars for consumers or less.

2TB ones are simply over $200.

Don't know how sony will pull it off,but i don't think they will fragment the user base by having 2 sku with different drives that would be suicidal.

Avatar image for mclarenmaster18
#32 Posted by MclarenMaster18 (1558 posts) -

@davillain- said:

@goldenelementxl: I'm hoping for Knack 3 at least :)

Why do you want Knack anyways? Knack is a poor game at PS4's launch.

Avatar image for Sushiglutton
#33 Posted by Sushiglutton (7264 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:
@tormentos said:

Ok so i have seen this argument twice in this thread.

First things first PS4 games are huge,in fact Spiderman is some 45GB or more,there is no way to load all that data in Ram at any given time on PS5 unless it has 64GB of ram and even so games like RDR2 are 100GB long, so loading spiderman in just 0.8 seconds is huge,and will potentially eliminate long load times even on bigger games,trying to say that as game will be bigger we will be in the same spot is not quite accurate at all.

The game doesn't need to be completely loaded in one pass to make those loading seem invisible or close.

My current PS4 has 1TB of space.

Next gen games will be bigger still, so we will at least need a 512GB or 1TB SSD. That will cost a lot of money bro. I'm thinking the basic model won't come with an SSD, with an option to buy a pro model with faster loading times.

All models need to have the SSD to make the gameplay improvements showcased possible. The speed at which you can move through the world is central to the entire design of an open world game. You can't expect developers to make two versions.

But I agree with you the numbers don't quite add up. Would be pretty annoying if you could only have a few games installed at once. Even though for the most part it wouldn't affect me as I rarely have more than a couple of active game at the time.

Avatar image for ni6htmare01
#34 Posted by ni6htmare01 (3785 posts) -

That is a nice improvement!

Avatar image for ps360
#35 Posted by PS360 (25 posts) -
@tormentos said:
@ps360 said:

Don't drink too much of the Koolaid, this is being shown on a current generation game with current generation scale, LoD's, engine, texture limitations etc.

The Xbox One X effectively eliminates loading entirely in some Xbox 360 games which is conceptually the same thing as this, last gen game loading almost instantaneously on next-gen hardware.

Food for thought.

Dude data on 360 games is 7.4GB with extremely low assets vs a game like today that is more than 50GB on low settings,the jump from 360 to xbox one X or even xbox one is greater than the jump you will see from PS4 to PS5 ,A PS4 game now is a PC game with lower assets you take Spider man and run it on a 2080 with higher quality assets and you are essentially in the next gen.

While i don't expect loading to be eliminate anything done to reduce them will be great , in the way this probably works,loading data on Ram the whole data will never be load as no console will have enough ram to store a complete game,the xbox one X could load an xbox 360 game completely in Ram, and still have enough ram to emulate the game with higher quality.

Games like RDR2 are 100GB even without having ultra high quality textures.

I am sure spiderman was use as example because it has many buildings if you scroll fast you start to see buildings pop in.

Spider man on PS4 Pro doesn't equate to a 360 game when the PS5 hit,remember the PS Pro is a mid gen release,the jump you will get from PS4 pro to PS5 will not be as big as PS3 to PS4,even less if we consider that PS3 games for years pass 30GB and even more because of Blu-ray while MS games were constricted to 7.4GB of DVD 9.

I'm expecting we'll see games in the 200-300 GB range next gen with a hell of a lot more going on which requires far more extensive loading, and to add to this when developers get more resources a lot of them simply get "lazy". Not to say they're incompetent but when they don't need to compress things they won't, they'll just dump them as they are.

I'm expecting better loading in next-gen games but not the pipe dream Sony is showing off in last generation games.

Avatar image for Pedro
#36 Edited by Pedro (34953 posts) -

Next gen is just going to have games averaging 200-300GB just cause? Why is it that every new console iteration people just start making shit up?

Avatar image for calvincfb
#37 Posted by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

@Pedro: I agree, sekiro is just 30GB and it's a late gem title.

Avatar image for superfluousreal
#38 Posted by SuperfluousReal (361 posts) -

Well Forza 7 is 100GB on PC.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#39 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3248 posts) -

Well I would hope Sony is addressing the load times. The PS4 Pro is getting beat by the Switch ffs.

GameXplain Sonic Team Racing PS4 Pro vs Switch

Avatar image for davillain-
#40 Posted by DaVillain- (36927 posts) -
@mclarenmaster18 said:
@davillain- said:

@goldenelementxl: I'm hoping for Knack 3 at least :)

Why do you want Knack anyways? Knack is a poor game at PS4's launch.

Back before PS4 launch, I only pick two launch titles, Kilzone: Shadowfall & Knack, but at the time, I didn't know much of Knack and decided to buy it without reading the reviews first. Went into it with quite low expectations but was pleasantly surprised and ended up playing through it twice! I think it's a great game in my opinion but I do understand why it's hated towards other gamers. Knack 2 is actually a great action game. Lots of tech and good, aggressive enemies on Very Hard mode. Combat depth is actually decent so it's why I wouldn't mind seeing Knack 3 if Sony makes it as a launch title for PS5.

Knack games aren't that expensive to make and are easy to make diminishing-returns, no one expected Knack 2, so who's to say their won't be Knack 3?

Avatar image for Pedro
#41 Posted by Pedro (34953 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: Damn, by a whole 0.21 seconds. PS4 Pro better watch out. :|

Avatar image for nfamouslegend
#42 Posted by NfamousLegend (365 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: yeah because the Switch version has all the same assets and performance as the PS4 Pro version.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#43 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3248 posts) -

@nfamouslegend said:

@goldenelementxl: yeah because the Switch version has all the same assets and performance as the PS4 Pro version.

The Switch has a 18W tdp vs the Pros 165W. And it's not like the PS4 Pro is using the disc for anything other than DRM if there is even a disc used in this comparison. That 8GB of GDDR5 is losing to 4GB of LPDDR4.

Avatar image for Steppy_76
#44 Posted by Steppy_76 (2710 posts) -

Maybe they are going with a smaller capacity as to use as a large cacheand only keep data for your most used games and high capacity drive to store your games.

Avatar image for calvincfb
#45 Edited by Calvincfb (0 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: If anything, the switch looks worse tbh, PS4 largely uses HDD whereas switch uses flash carts for physical games and flash memory for internal storage. PS4 is doing really good for a mechanical drive.

Avatar image for tdkmillsy
#46 Posted by tdkmillsy (3133 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

My current PS4 has 1TB of space.

Next gen games will be bigger still, so we will at least need a 512GB or 1TB SSD. That will cost a lot of money bro. I'm thinking the basic model won't come with an SSD, with an option to buy a pro model with faster loading times.

I know they will be bigger,that is one concern i have because SSD prices are not even close to how prices were for 500GB drives in 2013, 1 TB still is like a $100 when on those days 500GB drives were like 50 dollars for consumers or less.

2TB ones are simply over $200.

Don't know how sony will pull it off,but i don't think they will fragment the user base by having 2 sku with different drives that would be suicidal.

I know they will be bigger,that is one concern i have because SSD prices are not even close to how prices were for 500GB drives in 2013,

So Sony went out an bought the drives in 2013 at 2013 prices for the PS4 that they launched in 2013. But for the next console they will buy the drives at prices 18-24 months before the console launch.

Obvious you don't know what your talking about.

But keep being shocked at how the mighty Sony will pull it off.

Avatar image for R4gn4r0k
#47 Posted by R4gn4r0k (31207 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

All models need to have the SSD to make the gameplay improvements showcased possible. The speed at which you can move through the world is central to the entire design of an open world game. You can't expect developers to make two versions.

But I agree with you the numbers don't quite add up. Would be pretty annoying if you could only have a few games installed at once. Even though for the most part it wouldn't affect me as I rarely have more than a couple of active game at the time.

Something that always bugged me as PC gamer for the past decades, as well as my experience with handhelds over the past decade or so: I just don't like having to uninstall stuff in order to install new games :P

Sometimes it got pretty bad for me and I constantly had to find this balance not to fill up my 256GB PC HDD or 512MB PSP memory card... Having to choose between what game to uninstall so I could install some sweet new game :D

I know it's a first world problem and it's a silly thing to worry about. But it's part of the reason why I went with 1TB Xbox and PS4 consoles. Not having to worry about running out of space. It's something I'll choose to spend money on, to avoid running into issues in the future.

But your argument does make a lot of sense. If they make this SSD out like this big thing, they can't be running another SKU with a slower 5200RPM hard disk drive.

Avatar image for omegamaster
#48 Posted by omegaMaster (1286 posts) -

I hope the UI is a major improvement.

Avatar image for lundy86_4
#49 Posted by lundy86_4 (53374 posts) -

I'll wait and see how this does for next-gen releases. I still rock the original 1tb in my Pro, which is dirty. I also still use a 7200rpm 3tb drive in my PC for gaming, though i'll be getting a 1tb+ SSD once I get a new job.

Avatar image for ronvalencia
#50 Edited by ronvalencia (28067 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

Faster loading for current games.

Next gen games will be bigger, have higher resolution textures and assets so an increase in loading.

So add those two together and we'll be in the same spot, with the same loading times.

Ok so i have seen this argument twice in this thread.

First things first PS4 games are huge,in fact Spiderman is some 45GB or more,there is no way to load all that data in Ram at any given time on PS5 unless it has 64GB of ram and even so games like RDR2 are 100GB long, so loading spiderman in just 0.8 seconds is huge,and will potentially eliminate long load times even on bigger games,trying to say that as game will be bigger we will be in the same spot is not quite accurate at all.

The game doesn't need to be completely loaded in one pass to make those loading seem invisible or close.

PS4 Pro's game world scope is based on system memory i.e. 5.5 GB RAM with ~60 MB/s to ~100 MB/s compressed data chunks from HDD.

PC OEM favorite low cost Samsung PM961 NVMe delivers ~3100 MB/s seq read with Intel. Current Ryzen can reach ~3000 MB/s seq read with Samsung PM961 NVMe.