SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45100 Posts

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-price-may-depend-on-one-key-factor-exec-says/1100-6473389/

What will the PS5 cost? Sony management responded to that question during an earnings call, saying those details might depend on other factors, including the competition. This is presumably a reference to the Xbox Series X, which also doesn't have a price point yet.

"What is not very clear or visible ... is because we are competing in the space," CFO Hiroki Totoki said, though a translator. "So it is very difficult to discuss anything about the price at this time. Depending upon the price level, we may have to determine the promotion that we are going to deploy, and how much cost we are prepared to pay. So it is a question of balance."

It is difficult to speak concretely about PS5 pricing at this stage, Totoki said, but fans and investors can be sure that Sony will "choose the optimal approach."

What do you think, SW? Does Sony really not have a firm price yet for the PS5, or are they just hiding their cards for now? I have my doubts that either PS5 or Xbox One X will be $400. But if one of them chooses to do it, the other one will feel compelled to. It's going to be very interesting!!

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

a whole lot of nothing

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

My immediate thoughts on this are the ps5 isn’t as powerful as the ‘new Xbox’

So price becomes the main selling point if their isn’t many launch games and as of now only warframe (non exclusive) clone GOD awFALL is confirmed

What could scupper this approach is if LOCKHART is a thing maybe a 1440/60 machine at a 100 less than the ps5

As a buyer of both MS&SONY and a REAL gamer and not limiting myself to 1 system because of real emotions to a gaming machine HAH the cheaper the better

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

@bluestars: The base PS4 was stronger than the the base XBO and was $100 cheaper.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#6  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69444 Posts

So, if we want the best price for next gen MS should release the price for the Series X after Sony announce theirs for the PS5.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BoxRekt
Member since 2019 • 2425 Posts

Clearly Sony is thinking $500 but if MS comes in lower, they would adjust.

If it was straight $400 (it couldn't possibly be anything lower with the kind of tech they're dropping in PS5) then Sony could proudly state $400 knowing that's the so-called "sweet spot" for gamer adoption since PS4 2013.

Make no mistake, even at $500 Sony will be taking a significant loss on PS5 (try building a PC right now with the known specs of PS5 even at a $800 cap and let me know how that works out for you!)

There is literally no other reasoning behind being hesitant to reveal the price. If they are simply equal to MS $500 and $500, they won't be worried by coming in that high but they do not want to be undercut by MS at launch with both systems being of similar high tech builds.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 rmpumper
Member since 2016 • 2133 Posts

@fedor: Kinect fucked xbone pricing, that's why MS got rid of it fast.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#9 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Someone should start a Kickstarter to fund Sony some balls. What a limp biscuit leader.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I'm assuming $500 for each system. It's practically guaranteed considering Pro is still $400.

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By BoxRekt
@phbz said:

Someone should start a Kickstarter to fund Sony some balls. What a limp biscuit leader.

This is Sony trying to look liberal and unbiased by allowing non Japanese faces run the PlayStation.

They messed up when they put these pansy western euro leaders in their instead of our beloved old cut throat Japanese war lords.

Fk looking liberal bring Kaz or Yoshida back, these western clowns are clueless better suited to just stand in the background...and I'm American.

Here's hoping to having a Japanese head of Playstation next instead of these westerners who have no idea how to run a video game company.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#12 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

Sony is waiting for MS to reveil Series X price, and MS is probably doing the same. Maybe we can get both for free at the end of the year ;)

BoxRekt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By BoxRekt
@PAL360 said:

Sony is waiting for MS to reveil Series X price, and MS is probably doing the same. Maybe we can get both for free at the end of the year ;)

LMAO exactly.

Either way Sony won't go above $500 but MS might.

Price isn't an issue, I'm prepared to pay $500 for PS5 and an extra $100 for the most attractive exclusive game and tax.

Anything under $500 will be for extras.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12061 Posts

Oh man this is going to be fun. Imagine the systems being the same price and the SeX is better. Can’t wait.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Bluestars

@fedor:

You start a PS4 v Xbox price thread

This is a ps5 v tower of power one

HAH

Bless

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By rmpumper

@kuu2 said:

Oh man this is going to be fun. Imagine the systems being the same price and the SeX is better. Can’t wait.

I'm sure that MS will be continuing the same strategy as they did with X vs PS4Pro, so expect the SX be superior to PS5, but in the end it will come down to who has better games as always.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

Sony waiting for MS to go first lol. They have all that market share and have no balls or confidence to just say the price.

My prediction is the PS5 will costs the same as a movie ticket, add the price of a large bucket of popcorn if they throw in a "game"

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Fedor

@bluestars: My post directly related to yours. I didn't start a new thread, topic, or derail. Being cheaper doesn't mean weaker. Here's another example, PS1 was $100 cheaper than a Sega Saturn, PS1 was stronger.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44147 Posts

I’m sure Sony has a price in mind that they would like to price the PS5 at but they are hesitant to announce it because they want it to compare favourably to the Xbox Series X.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46260 Posts

399 - 449

Can't see them go much higher than this

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56088 Posts

@rmpumper said:

Not only that, MS went cheap on the hardware too and it became a joke when we found out base Xbox One was weaker then base PS4 because 900p vs 1080p was a big deal, everyone laugh at MS for that. At least MS acknowledge the problem and created Xbox One X.

I expect no history repeat this time around if MS is smart enough that is.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bluestars

@fedor:

My op are MY thoughts on the upcoming new consoles and price points

It’s nice you have your own thoughts

Bless

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Fedor

@bluestars: I'm simply having a on topic discussion with you on a forum. That's what people do on these things. You're* going to have to get used to that.

Avatar image for deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By deactivated-618bc23e9b1c9
Member since 2007 • 7339 Posts

$499 guaranteed.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25 ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-price-may-depend-on-one-key-factor-exec-says/1100-6473389/

What will the PS5 cost? Sony management responded to that question during an earnings call, saying those details might depend on other factors, including the competition. This is presumably a reference to the Xbox Series X, which also doesn't have a price point yet.

"What is not very clear or visible ... is because we are competing in the space," CFO Hiroki Totoki said, though a translator. "So it is very difficult to discuss anything about the price at this time. Depending upon the price level, we may have to determine the promotion that we are going to deploy, and how much cost we are prepared to pay. So it is a question of balance."

It is difficult to speak concretely about PS5 pricing at this stage, Totoki said, but fans and investors can be sure that Sony will "choose the optimal approach."

What do you think, SW? Does Sony really not have a firm price yet for the PS5, or are they just hiding their cards for now? I have my doubts that either PS5 or Xbox One X will be $400. But if one of them chooses to do it, the other one will feel compelled to. It's going to be very interesting!!

I don't really see why they made this statement. It was basically nothing. They could've just waited until they were ready to reveal the price before saying anything.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#26  Edited By ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts
@i_p_daily said:

Sony waiting for MS to go first lol. They have all that market share and have no balls or confidence to just say the price.

My prediction is the PS5 will costs the same as a movie ticket, add the price of a large bucket of popcorn if they throw in a "game"

I assume this is largely because they're not so sure they could win this gen as easily.

I think they learned their lesson with the PS3. They thought they could ride the PS2's success, and they ended up getting screwed by Nintendo and Microsoft.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#27 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

This is them wanting to price their console lower or at the very least the same price. Nothing should be looked into this. I don't feel it has anything to do with them being worried about the position they are in rather than looking for ways to continue carrying the momentum they have this gen directly into next gen.

Next gen is going to be wild. Never before have the big 3 been so diversified with their visions.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#28 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I think both want to know what the other's price will be, I think pricing advantage goes to whichever reveals the price last, unless the one that leads the announcement proposes something ridiculous, regardless it wouldn't surprise me if both are prepared to release these at somewhat of an initial loss they can make up for later.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Pedro

@WitIsWisdom said:

This is them wanting to price their console lower or at the very least the same price. Nothing should be looked into this. I don't feel it has anything to do with them being worried about the position they are in rather than looking for ways to continue carrying the momentum they have this gen directly into next gen.

Next gen is going to be wild. Never before have the big 3 been so diversified with their visions.

How is this them wanting to price their console lower? I don't see the logic in them wanting to lower the price but hesitating. Its most likely the opposite.

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6848 Posts

@rmpumper said:

They kind of dragged their feet wen it came to releasing it.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@Pedro said:
@WitIsWisdom said:

How is this them wanting to price their console lower? I don't see the logic in them wanting to lower the price but hesitating. Its most likely the opposite.

Wait.. so you are thinking they are waiting for MS to release their console price so they can raise their price above MS? That would be the opposite of what I said. Sure they want to wait to make sure they don't come in too low, but I feel they have a bottom dollar in mind they won't go below anyway unless MS takes a huge loss and forces their hand. In my opinion this is more about not wanting to come in too high (while also maximizing profits and still looking good to their fanbase) so they don't get undercut. That's my guess at least.

I don't think you understood what I meant, or perhaps I didn't make it clear enough.

What I was trying to relay is that I feel that SONY is holding onto their cards hoping MS will come in at a certain price which THEY (SONY) are hoping is higher than the lowest price SONY has in mind. That way if MS comes in at $500 SONY will try to come in at either that same price or within $100 lower. If MS comes in at SONY's lowest dollar or below that would be bad news for SONY.

I think BOTH are waiting for the other to throw their cards down first. MS has been burned in the past showing first and SONY believes that MS will be cocky and do it again, but I think MS is waiting to see if the silence of SONY will disrupt their fans enough to make them speak first. Right now it's a game of cat and mouse with each side trying to goad the other into thinking they have the best deal and to open up about it bragging, just so the other one can shut them down and drop a bombshell.

Regardless of MS saying they aren't competing with SONY next gen they know that especially early in the generation that is either just positioning or wishful thinking. They know that even if THEY aren't competing with them head on that the mass of casual gamers aren't going to see it the same way. Not until they can come out and show just how diverse they are trying to be. If they want to separate from the pack then okay, but they are going to have to prove it to the consumers first.

My thinking SONY wants to at the very least come in at the same price as MS but very likely wanting to come in a little cheaper isn't because I'm on SONY's side or feel they are the good guys, it's just because I believe that's what they want, and it's very likely that's what MS wants as well. HOWEVER, if MS DOES have 2 sku's they may actually want their higher end model to be just a little more expensive as to push the whole "power gap" and "you get what you pay for" mentality. Although that wouldn't be terrible for them can you imagine if their more powerful console came at a cheaper price? lol... man that would make things interesting. Can you imagine how SONY would be scrambling around? heh.. of course super SONY fans would claim that you are paying more for a premium product and then Xbox fans would come back saying "but it isn't", and so on and so forth..

Now if SONY came in at the same price with the PS5 as the XSX and the majority or rumors are right that the XSX is stronger... well, I still think because of the way that each have things set up early gen that SONY will still come out of the gates a little stronger, but it won't be NEARLY the difference if they can't make gamers feel like they are getting the better deal. If SONY screws up and comes in at a HIGHER price than the XSX.. that would be bad for them and they probably know it. Which is why it's highly likely that it's more important for SONY to know MS's prices first.

BOTH companies will push "best deal possible" as far as they can, until one knows that its beat in price. From there that one will try to push power and/or best. If the more expensive one has NEITHER going for it then that would be a PR marketing disaster. That's just the way of marketing and how the consumer sees the video game industry.

Now some people like a lot of us here.. well it doesn't effect us one bit. Those who get everything or everything they like don't have to worry about their "bottom lines" as long as THEY feel they are getting good enough value. This is about SONY and MS's bottom lines.. not ours as consumers regardless of how they try to make it look. UNLESS BOTH come in at substantially lower prices than expected.. I guess that might be the one exception... but even then I would seriously doubt it. lol

JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#32 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts

As someone already pointed out, they're waiting on MS to reveal their price, which is what MS is doing. I'm predicting both will be 500.

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#33 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

$499 and $599

MS release a low end one for $399.

nishanth12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 nishanth12
Member since 2008 • 678 Posts

I don't mind if it's 600$ Just need the console to be the best it can be.

ellos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ellos
Member since 2015 • 2532 Posts

They have a weak shit compare to Series X.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Pedro

@WitIsWisdom: You have clarified your point in which we are not in disagreement. With that said, the point was successfully conveyed in just one of your 8 paragraphs.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By WitIsWisdom

@Pedro said:

@WitIsWisdom: You have clarified your point in which we are not in disagreement. With that said, the point was successfully conveyed in just one of your 8 paragraphs.

Come on man.. I was using the infinite power of the cloud.

huh? huh? lol *rimshot*

Anyways besides the usual I'll be here all week and not forgetting to tip the doorman and grab your coat on the way out speech.. yeah sorry for not making my point a little shorter.. I type fast and was going to go back and fix/revise it, but took a look at it and was like.. yeah, screw that. I'll just pay my editor.. lol

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I may have hit on the same point a time or 6, but either way that damn horse should be dead by now if it wasn't already. :P

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Pedro

@WitIsWisdom said:

Come on man.. I was using the infinite power of the cloud.

huh? huh? lol *rimshot*

Anyways besides the usual I'll be here all week and not forgetting to tip the doorman and grab your coat on the way out speech.. yeah sorry for not making my point a little shorter.. I type fast and was going to go back and fix/revise it, but took a look at it and was like.. yeah, screw that. I'll just pay my editor.. lol

I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if I may have hit on the same point a time or 6 :P

Its all good. :)

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45100 Posts

@R4gn4r0k: I can see them doing $499.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 R4gn4r0k

@SolidGame_basic: That really is the highest point.

Didn't the PS3 launch for that much? And that console had a really rough start.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#41 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

I wonder if in 100 years, when $600 will buy you a soda, gamers will still think that's too much for a console.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

@fedor said:

@bluestars: The base PS4 was stronger than the the base XBO and was $100 cheaper.

The og Xbox One came with the Kinect 2.0 which was why it was more expensive.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 rmpumper

@R4gn4r0k said:

@SolidGame_basic: That really is the highest point.

Didn't the PS3 launch for that much? And that console had a really rough start.

PS3 was 499 for 20gb version and 599 for 80gb, but that was not the only issue - the x360 was released 1 year earlier with 299 and 399 price points, so by the time the PS3 was out, MS already had an established console with a ton of games, not to mention, that during that gen, all the mutiplats had superior versions on the xbox.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 R4gn4r0k

@rmpumper: Yeah plus I remember PS3 having some really weak and gimmicky first/second party launch games like Lair.

Oldgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Oldgun
Member since 2009 • 391 Posts

It'll be very interesting this time around. I have a feeling that PS5 will be less powerful on the GPU side but very fast on the SSD side when compared to XSX. Price wise PS5 will be cheaper than XSX but the GPU differential will be outweighed by the quality of exclusive at Sony's disposal.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Expensive is bad, but what's worse is another underpowered piece of shit for $399.99.

I don't see either companies going over $549.99, and i would take that with quality specs over another "cheap" console that skips on a proper cpu, gpu or both.

Best case scenario would be a 11-12tflops system for $449.99, while Sony loses a good amount of money per system, but gains it back from games, psn+ and peripherals sold. There is absolutely no way next gen will be $399.99 if, and only if, its a proper next gen system that we can clearly see a large leap from current gen.

The absolute worse thing that could happen in my opinion is Sony tries to sell us a 8-9tflops system for $400-500 while being 100% focused on their god damn next gen SSD as their selling point. Fast loading screens is a bonus, not the main reason to purchase a brand new console after almost a decade since ps4 came out. I want 2k/60fps and 4k/30fps choice. If they don't deliver, i'm skipping next gen and play everything on pc instead.

rmpumper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 rmpumper

@hardwenzen said:

There is absolutely no way next gen will be $399.99 if, and only if, its a proper next gen system that we can clearly see a large leap from current gen.

Good luck with that lol, there's a reason why Sony can't shut up about their magical SSD tech while ignoring the rest of the specs.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

@rmpumper said:
@hardwenzen said:

There is absolutely no way next gen will be $399.99 if, and only if, its a proper next gen system that we can clearly see a large leap from current gen.

Good luck with that lol, there's a reason why Sony can't shut up about their magical SSD tech while ignoring the rest of the specs.

This is precisely what i was thinking as well.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts

We will see what Microsoft price theirs at and then decided what price we can set to make most money.

Wheres your balls Sony.

Avatar image for heavymetalman77
heavymetalman77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 heavymetalman77
Member since 2019 • 109 Posts

@i_p_daily: "criquets" aaaaaand back to forza you go.