Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By IvanGrozny
Member since 2015 • 1845 Posts

PS5 Is Being Sold At A Loss, Sony Confirms

So well, that explains why Sony is not so thrilled to get their stocks numbers fixed as they are not making any money what so ever. They actually lose money the more consoles they sell. It suits Sony to wait as much as possible before fixing the low PS launch numbers. The more they wait, the cheaper manufacturing becomes as components getting more obsolete and cheaper.

For all that launch fiasco, you can blame scalpers and Corona as much as you want, but the truth is most of the crisis is probably manufactured by Sony themselves in order to prevent to sell too many copies at launch LOL

That makes me think isn't it funny that, for legit gamers, is so hard to get a single console copy at MSRP, but suddenly so scalper dude has 50 boxes lying around?

Might it be Sony is secretly supplying those scalper dudes ?

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

What low numbers are you talking about? They sold 4.5 million units despite being in a pandemic.

gtx021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gtx021
Member since 2013 • 515 Posts

how about rtx 3090 sales?

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By IvanGrozny

@SolidGame_basic said:

What low numbers are you talking about? They sold 4.5 million units despite being in a pandemic.

Well. That's really low WORLD numbers when the actual demand is 20+M. Meanwhile Nintendo, a company with less manufacturing capabilities is selling their Switch at dozen of millions a year. Just maybe, it's because Nintendo is making profit on Switch and it suits them to fill in the demand

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 SolidGame_basic

@ivangrozny said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Well. That's really low WORLD numbers when the actual demand is 20+M.

It actually matched the same number from PS4, and that was with a pandemic.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By IvanGrozny

@SolidGame_basic said:
@ivangrozny said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

No it's not.

Sony previously released its PlayStation 4 for $399 USD in November 2013 and it went on to sell 7.5 million units in the first two quarters.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8  Edited By xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@ivangrozny said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Right. Plus, IMO the logic of the OP is flawed. Yes, in a way the more units they sell the more money they lose - on the hardware specifically. However. Console hardware is usually sold at a loss or at best a razor thin profit, and the money is in software sales and subscriptions and peripherals. The more PS5s Sony sells, the quicker they will recoup their R&D costs and grow their profits in those areas. IMO, Sony is not motivated to withhold stock.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

@ivangrozny said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@ivangrozny said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

No it's not.

Sony previously released its PlayStation 4 for $399 USD in November 2013 and it went on to sell 7.5 million units in the first two quarters.

That was the first TWO quarters.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By IvanGrozny

@xantufrog said:
@ivangrozny said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@ivangrozny said:

No it's not.

Well, the first quarter was in 2020. The 2nd quarter will be in April, which is only 2 months away. Plus the demand for PS4 was not that high when it was released as the biggest hits were on PS3.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Well it’s no surprise that both Microsoft and Sony are selling their systems at a lose but I don’t think that they want to purposely limit them because of that. They make their money from the software sold so they would want to get as many systems into people’s hands as soon as possible.

IvanGrozny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By IvanGrozny

@Archangel3371 said:

Well it’s no surprise that both Microsoft and Sony are selling their systems at a lose but I don’t think that they want to purposely limit them because of that. They make their money from the software sold so they would want to get as many systems into people’s hands as soon as possible.

Actually PS4 is still their main bread winner, if we judge by subscription and software sales. They CAN withhold PS5 as they are till making money on PS4.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

thats not how the loss leader business model works. to get it to work Sony need to get consoles into peoples hands ASAP (and ideally the discless version) and they need those people spending bucks on PS games as much as possible (ideally from the PSN store). oh and subscribing to PSN+ too..that would be great. Thats where the money is.

Selling them to scalpers, who then inflate the price and essentially slow demand, is no good to sony. thats the same as idle inventory sitting on shelves basically. those PS5s are sold. sony have taken the hit. but no one is using them to buy stuff (or the rate has at least slowed down) so its taking longer for sony to recoup the cost of each console.

it makes no sense for sony to supply scalpers.

its the same for MS. no way they are making money on the XSX or XSS themselves. they need those consoles in houses, getting played and with games selling on them and Gamepass subs being bought.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@ivangrozny said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

That's kinda weird I kept seeing reports that the PS5 launch surpassed the PS4's, well that ended up being a whole load of BS.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Umm... I'm guessing topic creator doesn't understand that Sony doesn't see a dime of the inflated scalper prices after the $400-$500 mark depending on which model is sold.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
Nonstop-Madness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 Nonstop-Madness
Member since 2008 • 12303 Posts

Why on Earth would Sony do that when the vast majority of their revenue comes from software and, services?

Also, yes, they sell the PS5's at a loss but, that didn't stop them from having their most profitable quarter ever.

They easily recoup their losses on hardware from software and, services.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

The pandemic had nothing to do with it considering the PS5 came out a few months ago when the pandemic is pretty much over.

Sony, MS and even Nintendo have this hard on of under making consoles like they think no one is gonna buy em. If Sony made a flat 10 million more PS5s right now they would all be bought out within weeks.

Avatar image for deactivated-611edca0d6021
deactivated-611edca0d6021

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By deactivated-611edca0d6021
Member since 2021 • 2226 Posts

@ivangrozny: do you honestly believe any of what you're saying?

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#19  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

When they are losing money on each unit then I imagine they hope to make money up in game sale royalties and subscription services. But if scalpers are holding onto them, they take the loss but there is a delay on subsequent consumer spending.

Sony has weathered worse, the PS3 for instance each unit from launch lost them some $350 each, it took a few years just until each unit was sold at a profit, thought they did have to liquidate their assets to afford the drain in money. They have improved their situation much over 8th gen but not so much I don't think they can take it this bad. But I don't think the losses they are taking come close, and the gamingbend is still making money through PS+ and games sales on PS4.

I think cross gen functionaliry will keep revenues coming in to Sony for a while, there is a lot of 8th gen games people have yet to play, publishers trying to squeeze every last drop of profit out of them. Owning new consoles hasn't isolated people to what is on the next gen library the same way previous gens did. And for all those sales they get royalties. They have a userbase paying PS+ fees, and I bet with time they will grow PS Now.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@ivangrozny said:
@xantufrog said:
@ivangrozny said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@ivangrozny said:

No it's not.

Well, the first quarter was in 2020. The 2nd quarter will be in April, which is only 2 months away. Plus the demand for PS4 was not that high when it was released as the biggest hits were on PS3.

Excuses...

Avatar image for deactivated-63d2876fd4204
deactivated-63d2876fd4204

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-63d2876fd4204
Member since 2016 • 9129 Posts

@Telekill: I’m not sure most people understand scalping whatsoever. TC thinks PlayStation benefits from scalping. Others blame scalping more than supply constraints and don’t understand the reason for the secondary market demand is the supply constraints.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

This feels like one of those response threads lol

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#23 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

Pandemic is over apparently, come to my country then.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Razor/Blades model. Make money off the games/online/other subscriptions. It's a pandemic, so low(er) numbers at release of a console with high-demand, is what drives these scalper prices way up. Not really that difficult, and much less mental gymnastics.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@ivangrozny said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

That's kinda weird I kept seeing reports that the PS5 launch surpassed the PS4's, well that ended up being a whole load of BS.

maybe in US it surpassed ps4 launch, rest of the world being starved made it at best tie with ps4 launch

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#26 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69450 Posts

This makes the PS5 digital the sweetest deal. $100 for Blu-ray?😂

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

@ivangrozny said:

Might it be Sony is secretly supplying those scalper dudes ?

Yes, I'm very sure Sony wants to lose out on potential software sales by supplying to scalpers who'll sit on marked up consoles, for a gray market they won't see a cent on when said scalpers sell them. You really figured out Sony's master plan there, Sherlock.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

This is probably a troll thread, but if not, I don't think OP understands the console business at all. There's a reason you can get a PS5 for $399. Lots of software and services sold. Sony makes money on other hardware like tvs etc because they have to.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 kingtito
Member since 2003 • 11775 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@ivangrozny said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

I would think being in a pandemic would boost sales because people have nothing better to do since a lot of the world is in some sort of lock down. You probably should use the pandemic excuse anymore

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 SolidGame_basic

@ivangrozny said:
@xantufrog said:
@ivangrozny said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@ivangrozny said:

No it's not.

Now you're just making shit up lol. The PS3 era ended after 7 years, people were waiting for next gen consoles after playing their old consoles for a while. I know, I was there lol. The fact that Sony sold 4.5 million at a $500 price point and during a pandemic where supply chains were constrained is pretty remarkable. I work in business and I know what the supply chain is like for retail. This is just low grade bait lol.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 kingtito

@SolidGame_basic said:
@ivangrozny said:
@xantufrog said:
@ivangrozny said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

No it's not.

Now you're just making shit up lol. The PS3 era ended after 7 years, people were waiting for next gen consoles after playing their old consoles for a while. I know, I was there lol. The fact that Sony sold 4.5 million at a $500 price point and during a pandemic where supply chains were constrained is pretty remarkable. I work in business and I know what the supply chain is like for retail. This is just low grade bait lol.

How are supply chains constrained when it sold better than the PS4 and that wasn't during a pandemic? I don't think you know what you're talking about

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@ivangrozny: Please tell us you're trolling cause I'd not...yikes!?!

Sagemode87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Sagemode87
Member since 2013 • 3416 Posts

@lebanese_boy: why do you care?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 lundy86_4

@kingtito said:

How are supply chains constrained when it sold better than the PS4 and that wasn't during a pandemic? I don't think you know what you're talking about

Probably a modernization of production and supply lines. Are you implying the pandemic had no effect on production?

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

This is so dumb lmao

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kingtito

@lundy86_4 said:
@kingtito said:

Probably a modernization of production and supply lines. Are you implying the pandemic had no effect on production?

I'm saying he should stop using it. Sales were better than previous gens and supply is always constrained during a new launch. I don't see any need to give excuses considering how well the sales have gone.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

OP is in full conspiracy theory mode...

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@Sagemode87: Listen chicken, I don't usually discuss with my food.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 lundy86_4

@kingtito said:

I'm saying he should stop using it. Sales were better than previous gens and supply is always constrained during a new launch. I don't see any need to give excuses considering how well the sales have gone.

It's not an excuse. It's a verifiable fact. The pandemic has impacted multiple businesses, and I believe both MS and Sony have stated that the pandemic is directly affecting supply. Hell, still waiting on my 5900X due to this shit.

st_monica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 st_monica
Member since 2020 • 1454 Posts

There is already a thread on Sony's financial results, where it is reported that Sony is making enough revenue to cover the PS5 loss from software and subscription sales. I don't think you need this thread.

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kingtito

@lundy86_4 said:
@kingtito said:

It's not an excuse. It's a verifiable fact. The pandemic has impacted multiple businesses, and I believe both MS and Sony have stated that the pandemic is directly affecting supply. Hell, still waiting on my 5900X due to this shit.

We have no proof it impacted console manufacturing AND it's sold better than any the extremely popular PS4. It's not an excuse and it probably would have had the same supply problems it's having now since we have 8 other gens to use as the barometer. Hell for all we know the pandemic might be aiding sales because so many of the worlds population is on some sort of lock down it could be boosting it. All I'm saying is not to use it as some crutch which he certainly is.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 SolidGame_basic
@kingtito said:
@lundy86_4 said:
@kingtito said:

We have no proof it impacted console manufacturing AND it's sold better than any the extremely popular PS4. It's not an excuse and it probably would have had the same supply problems it's having now since we have 8 other gens to use as the barometer. Hell for all we know the pandemic might be aiding sales because so many of the worlds population is on some sort of lock down it could be boosting it. All I'm saying is not to use it as some crutch which he certainly is.

Lmao, Sony haters are so desperate they're resorting to conspiracy theories instead of common knowledge 😆

kingtito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kingtito

@SolidGame_basic said:
@kingtito said:
@lundy86_4 said:
@kingtito said:

Lmao, Sony haters are so desperate they're resorting to conspiracy theories instead of common knowledge 😆

It's no conspiracy theory you clown. I don't care about sales I'm just saying stop using the pandemic as some sort of crutch. Best launch sales would say the pandemic didn't have much of an effect. You keep touting the Sony line though, hope you're getting paid for it

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#45 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9543 Posts

Not that I really care either way, but that line of thinking doesn't make any sense. The demand is there and it's obvious at this point something is going on, but SONY nor most any other company want what is essentially pirates screwing up the flow of trade especially when a large amount of those consoles aren't in consumers hands but instead being stockpiled by scalpers to sell for profit. If anything I think they are trying to wait out the scalpers and they want the prices to stabilize so that they can sell more software. Every penny spent paying scalpers is less money going to SONY through software sales. Waiting out the market may be a necessary evil. The prices online are starting to stabilize and in a couple months scalpers will probably give up since they won't be making enough of a profit. I bet it will shock a lot of people how well the consoles sell for both SONY and MS after the scalpers are out of the way.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

I just can’t see a company purposely holding back on selling as many systems as they possibly can. Holding back just gives consumers more of an opportunity to purchase a competitor’s system.

Eoten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#47  Edited By Eoten
Member since 2020 • 8671 Posts

@ivangrozny said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

Well. That's really low WORLD numbers when the actual demand is 20+M. Meanwhile Nintendo, a company with less manufacturing capabilities is selling their Switch at dozen of millions a year. Just maybe, it's because Nintendo is making profit on Switch and it suits them to fill in the demand

Well, Switches are also pretty simple in construction, and use parts that are not the most modern making them easier to source and supply. But yeah, Nintendo doesn't take as much of a financial loss on selling consoles. It would make sense if companies wanted to pace out the production of consoles they sold at a loss but at the same time they're going to want those consoles to be in the hands of people who can actually buy games for them too.

Either way, I think it is hurting Sony more than helping them, and Nintendo, for not selling their hardware at as much of a loss isn't as effected from it financially. Perhaps Sony and M$, trying to compete for the most powerful console jumped the gun a bit and bit off a bit more than they can chew. Consoles will never be a match, or even come close to being a match for PC, and the damage Sony and MIcrosoft have done to themselves trying is kind of funny.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

According to analyst, PS+/PSNow brings in revenue of $3.5b last quarter. Its in Sony best interest to make sure people actually buying PS5 and subsribing to the services.

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts

@Random_Matt said:

Pandemic is over apparently, come to my country then.

Was thinking that myself. Countries in full lockdown, but according to ballroompirate the pandemic is over. What a moronic comment.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#50 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

Consoles are always sold at a loss. Sony and Microsoft expect to make their profit in game licensing. I think the only company that sells for a profit is Nintendo, and even then it's a very slim profit margin.