PS5 details from Mark Cerny: Backwards compatible, 8k, raytracing support, SSD standard, and more

#401 Posted by osan0 (15421 posts) -

@michaelmikado: hmm interesting. I hadn't heard of that one before. it seems to be more focused on high phones and such like but...yeah maybe. costs willing. i wonder would the SOC need to be modified to handle this also? could be one of those customisations sony needs.

a chilling thought: what if they pass on the cost to the consumer by reintroducing custom memory cards...*shudder*. have something very small as standard (say 32GB) and have expensive custom modules to upgrade it to allow more game data be cached. that could sting. just speculating though.

even if they go with that i think they will still need to use it in combination with a standard HDD for volume. games are going to be massive next gen in terms of GB. so costs still have me scratching my head. itll be interesting to see.

#402 Edited by michaelmikado (364 posts) -

@ronvalencia said:

No you are absolutely wrong AMD V1000s are absolutely Xbox One tier at 15-25W TDP while top end is pushing 3.6Tflops. The Xbox One isn't even in the same league:

AMD Ryzen™ Embedded V1807B

# of CPU Cores:4

# of Threads: 8

CPU Max Freq.: 3.8GHz
CPU Base Freq.: 3.35GHz
TDP: 35-54W
Further your own graphic even shows that GDDR6 loses to HBM2 significantly on power and space. Two places where you would put a V1000 series chip in the first place. If the priority is to minimize power and space then you are going to pair it with power and space efficient VRAM hence HBM2. That's the entire point. GDDR6's only advantage is cost. Attempting to make that argument that a chip that's 3x more powerful than an Xbox One is "not" is absurd.
You can even read the Vega Mobile 11 specs sheet for yourself.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-vega-11-mobile.c3300
#403 Posted by michaelmikado (364 posts) -

@osan0 said:

@michaelmikado: hmm interesting. I hadn't heard of that one before. it seems to be more focused on high phones and such like but...yeah maybe. costs willing. i wonder would the SOC need to be modified to handle this also? could be one of those customisations sony needs.

a chilling thought: what if they pass on the cost to the consumer by reintroducing custom memory cards...*shudder*. have something very small as standard (say 32GB) and have expensive custom modules to upgrade it to allow more game data be cached. that could sting. just speculating though.

even if they go with that i think they will still need to use it in combination with a standard HDD for volume. games are going to be massive next gen in terms of GB. so costs still have me scratching my head. itll be interesting to see.

They shouldn't need to be modified, many ufs are currently paired with embedded zen solutions. There only customization would be to allow the board to have the chips embedded on them.

I think that actually will bring back memory cards for the PS5, earlier I stated there is no reason to have optical media for games. Even it it costs an extra $5-$10 per game you would be able to run the game off the memory card without needing to install it which at that point makes installs, load times, and need to get large external storage irrelevant.

Avatar image for blackhairedhero
#404 Posted by Blackhairedhero (3234 posts) -

So far so good. It should be a noticeable step up.

#405 Posted by uninspiredcup (33441 posts) -

@blackhairedhero said:

So far so good. It should be a noticeable step up.

Slightly sharper movie games.

Yay.

#406 Posted by Blackhairedhero (3234 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: Then keep playing your shitty builder sims and battle royal and let us enjoy what we like.

#407 Edited by uninspiredcup (33441 posts) -

@blackhairedhero: That was random.

Throwing spaghetti at the wall and seeing what sticks.

#408 Posted by DaVillain- (36577 posts) -

@ni6htmare01 said:

I really don’t give much care about these fancy spec as I’m pretty happy with the current gen’s graphics. All I care now is will we see Horizon Zero Dawn 2 as a launch tittle? If it is a launch tittle than PS5 is a day one for me.

Same here. PS5 specs isn't something I really care about, it's their next-gen games is what I really want to know more of and Horizon Zero Dawn 2 is to be expected but as a launch title, I'd pre-order PS5 in a heartbeat just for that game. If not, throw in Knack 3, I'll buy it. (I'm not kidding)

#409 Posted by osan0 (15421 posts) -

@michaelmikado: it would be nice but we have seen how reluctant publishers are to cough up the extra needed for even a 32GB cart (and how willing are the public to pay the extra cost?).

i would imagine, based off the size of PS4/X1 games at the moment, that PS5/X2 games are going to require 128GB in a lot of cases. i dont think installs are going anywhere sadly. or big patches for that matter (which would make the cart kinda redundant).

i was more thinking memory cards ala the PS1,2,Gamecube and so on. but these memory cards would be for data caching rather than game saves.

#410 Posted by emgesp (7830 posts) -

@pc_rocks said:
@emgesp said:
@pc_rocks said:
@emgesp said:

1. I don't have to. I have shown it multiple times, ask your buddy tormentos how he got owned about it multiple times. And that is on top of that Steam survey

1. Because the evidence you quoted is not any evidence at all. Don't care about average build, that was a marketing ploy to fool casual idiots into thinking they are buying some uber PC in a console form. The average console in 2013 was still 2005 era 360 and PS3. Fact is there are always more powerful PC's out there in the wild than whatever consoles are sold. Nvidia 6 series was already out for over a year and PS4 was in fact equivalent to mid range GTX 5 series from 2010.

4. The onus is on you to prove thhat original PS4 support HDR because you need HDMI 2.0 for HDR pass through, one of the reasons why Xbone doesn't support HDR but Xbone S does.

5. That's what your boy Cerny tried to pass it off as which was my initial point. Go and watch the Pro reveal again, how they avoided native 4K like a plague, passing off checkberboarding as a magical bullet and something Sony/Pro invented/supports, the whole 'Dynamic 4K' marketing.

1. Its more evidence than what you have brought forth. Nobody said there wasn't more poweful PCs in 2013, the arguement was the fact that the average gaming rig was not as or more poweful than the PS4 in 2013.

4. HDMI 2.0 is simply a spec, PS4 has the hardware to handle it it just needed that firmware update to unlock the necessary bandwifth to do HDR in 1080p. It doesn't need the full 2.0 bandwidth because its not rendering out 4K resolution.

5. We've seen multiple examples of what checkerboard can accomplish when done right, it can look extremely good. Sony never said checkerboarding and native 4K were exactly the same just that with proper techniques one can come mighty close using those advanced upscaling techniques.

#411 Posted by emgesp (7830 posts) -
@Pedro said:
@emgesp said:

Navi was in fact created with the help of Sony for the PS5. Remember PS5 has been in development for some years now.

Is it going to be exclusive to PS5? BTW just in case you aren't aware, AMD made GPUs for their current and competitors system so this "help" from Sony is very ambiguous.

Well no its not going to be exclusive, but I'm sure PS5's Navi part will have some features not found in the Desktop Navi GPUs.

#412 Posted by michaelmikado (364 posts) -

@osan0: well technically memory cards could still be written to for game saves and patches.

As far as the publishers they would LOVE for physical media to go away. There’s an epic article and graphic I posted earlier but it broke down the percentage of royalties on a $60 physical vs digital game. The physical game gives the distributor like game stop 25%, MS, NIn, and Sony take a 20% royalty and that leaves them with 55% of the $60 sale. Digital stores like PSN, Nintendo estore charge 30% but the publishers get 70%.

Higher prices carts that pushed consumers to digital store fronts instead would be a dream come true for both publishers and console makers.

As for redundancy, optical drives are already incredibly redundant for gaming. The only purpose the disc serves is to install the files on the device or verify ownership. You don’t need an expensive optical drive for that. If you just want to verify ownership and download the game you could do that on a 1MB cart especially if you’re basically going to download the entirety of the game via a patch anyway. Realistically modern optical drives serve no real purpose for gaming at all that couldn’t be achieved in a better way and more financially viable for the publishers and console makers.

#413 Posted by emgesp (7830 posts) -
@2mrw said:

He shouldn't have mentioned 8k... Now it makes everything he said look rubbish because we know for a fact, it is not happening

Ray tracing is irrelevant and tbh, its a scam feature

Otherwise, I am quite stocked

8K video support I'm sure will happen, but he never claimed developers will target 8K resolution for games.

#414 Posted by ellos (2026 posts) -

@2mrw said:

He shouldn't have mentioned 8k... Now it makes everything he said look rubbish because we know for a fact, it is not happening

Ray tracing is irrelevant and tbh, its a scam feature

Otherwise, I am quite stocked

True the buzzwords ruined what otherwise seemed fairy good console hardware kit they are putting together. New tech all around bye bye jaguars check. SSD and not connected using f***ing external usb 2.0 or whatever low standard to save cost check. Backwards compatibility and if the thing that showed up in there pattern are actually reality could be cool. Of course marketing just has to go in with stupid 8k mention and whatever game changer thing they are keeping secret.

#415 Posted by fileman3 (333 posts) -

Wow some actual concrete PS5 news!!

PS5 is a day one purchase for me , Sony once again knocked it out the park with the ps4:)

#416 Posted by Blackhairedhero (3234 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: No it's just funny if a game has some quality production values and a few cutscene's its a movie game?

The third person action adventure genre is hardly as saturated as the other shit that's popular on other platforms.

#417 Posted by tormentos (29098 posts) -

@jasonofa36: wth? Yes they do in fact Sony not Ms will pay even close to the price you pay in a retail store for a GPU and CPU or other components because they buy in millions.

This is well known by now.

#418 Edited by Pedro (34620 posts) -

@emgesp said:

Well no its not going to be exclusive, but I'm sure PS5's Navi part will have some features not found in the Desktop Navi GPUs.

Maybe, maybe not. The reality is that Navi caters for consoles just like the current GPUs in consoles which is also found on PC (just stronger versions). This notion you have been pushing that Navi was specifically designed and co-design with Sony, for the PS5 is simply false.

#419 Posted by tormentos (29098 posts) -
@pc_rocks said:

1. I don't have to. I have shown it multiple times, ask your buddy tormentos how he got owned about it multiple times. And that is on top of that Steam survey can't be used as metric because a) it's optional b) It has shown to be inaccurate as it only shows the PC first registered against the user and not the latest specs he had. Again that has been discussed to death. Sony made a false marketing claim.

4. Need to see proof that base PS4 is doing HDR like Xbone S.

5. I already told you checkberboarding isn't something special. The real meat is the code that developers write for each game. Pro has nothing to do with it. Another lie.

The only thing you have own here is your sorry ass.

First things first ion 2013 most PC on steam were in fact behind the PS4 power wise period.

The fact that there were more powerful PC on 2013 means total shit since those have existed since 2010 or even before,but reality is the amount of people who own those GPU are so low is not even funny.

Adoption rate on PC sucks ass and in a year or 2 already there are more consoles more powerful than most PC out there.

Second Checkerboard is not upscaling per say is a reconstruct image of the game is not quite native or upscale and lack the sharpness of true native res but also has higher sharpness than up scaling,if upscaling alone was the same as checkerboard MS would call the xbox one S a true 4k machine as well since you know the xbox one S can upscale games to 4k.

No the PS4 does in deed HDR what happen in i think RDR2 is something else but it can do HDR just so you know.

PC will always be ahead of consoles but will always be more expensive as well upfront,specially on launch with newer tech.

#420 Posted by MosquitoBaby (74 posts) -

I really hope doesn't do the stupid thing they did with the PS3. Graphics aren't as important as games and innovation. The past shows that. I'd rather have an okay $400 next gen console, than a $599 one.

#421 Posted by Diddies (2398 posts) -

@FinalFighters said:

No way is it going to support 8k games. probably just 8k video output for streaming services like Netflix, etc

i also hope they add liquid cooling to the PS5. im tired of my PS4 sounding like a jet engine everytime i play games

I don't think we will see liquid cooling in a console. Just imagine if this leaked or anything. The liability the company would have to face. I mean even Corsair AIO are facing some scrutiny for a batch that is out there leaking. And even liquid cooling requires fans.

#422 Posted by Diddies (2398 posts) -

@jeezers said:

BC is good, dont care about the rest, i dont even have a 4k tv yet lol

i wont be upgrading until 2-3 years into next gen most likely

4K TVs are pretty cheap now. No reason not to buy one.

#423 Posted by tormentos (29098 posts) -

@Pedro said:

I am amazed that some folks believe Navi was made for the PS5 and was codesigned with Sony. Navi is AMD next gen architecture and have been for years meaning it will be on all of their GPUs when released. Why do people make shit up?

I don't think Navi was made for the ps5,but certain improvement of the GPU could have,in fact it was reveal on a interview some years back that AMD implemented some of the modification sony asked for the PS4 on their own line of GPU.

But the road map for navi has been on AMD map for years like you say.

Also is not out of this world to see sony working with AMD sony is a hardware company at hart and had some good engineers,and in fact before Sony used GPU from AMD and Nvidia they worked in house with toshiba on the PS2 GPU and they also made the PS1 GPU so they are not strangers to GPU hardware.

@Pedro said:

Why are you ignoring the picture and the fact that Sony was the first to tout 4k?

Yes AFTER MS DID IT which is why i asked why there isn't a picture of the xbox one X.

So yeah MS changed the definition of True 4k to include dynamic (not true 4k) and checkerboard again not true 4k,the rest is history and don't make me quote Phil claiming the XBO X wasn't competition for the Pro because the PS4 Pro did checkerboard and dynamic which back on 2016 they considered as false 4k.

Only to backtrack and add checkerboard and dynamic res as true 4k when they faced that the whole true 4k shit was never going to materialize.

And sony never EVER claimed true 4k hell the PS4 Pro was unveil after the xbox one X was officially.

#424 Posted by Pedro (34620 posts) -

@tormentos said:
@Pedro said:

Why are you ignoring the picture and the fact that Sony was the first to tout 4k?

Yes AFTER MS DID IT which is why i asked why there isn't a picture of the xbox one X.

So yeah MS changed the definition of True 4k to include dynamic (not true 4k) and checkerboard again not true 4k,the rest is history and don't make me quote Phil claiming the XBO X wasn't competition for the Pro because the PS4 Pro did checkerboard and dynamic which back on 2016 they considered as false 4k.

Only to backtrack and add checkerboard and dynamic res as true 4k when they faced that the whole true 4k shit was never going to materialize.

And sony never EVER claimed true 4k hell the PS4 Pro was unveil after the xbox one X was officially.

Last I checked the Pro was released a entire year before the One X with its checkerboard rendering as 4K making your point mute.

#425 Posted by emgesp (7830 posts) -
@Pedro said:
@emgesp said:

Maybe, maybe not. The reality is that Navi caters for consoles just like the current GPUs in consoles which is also found on PC (just stronger versions). This notion you have been pushing that Navi was specifically designed and co-design with Sony, for the PS5 is simply false.

I'm saying Sony and AMD colaborated with the Navi design from early on with PS5 in mind. We will have to wait for confirmation from Cerny, but credible people with inside sources have said its true.

#426 Posted by JasonOfA36 (1270 posts) -

@tormentos: Duh, but I doubt the discount would be miles bigger than what AMD would give to AIBs.

#427 Posted by Pedro (34620 posts) -

@emgesp said:

I'm saying Sony and AMD colaborated with the Navi design from early on with PS5 in mind. We will have to wait for confirmation from Cerny, but credible people with inside sources have said its true.

AMD is collaborating with MS, does that mean Navi was co-designed with MS?

#428 Posted by emgesp (7830 posts) -

@Pedro: AMD and Microsoft have their own plans.

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#429 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3168 posts) -

@emgesp said:
@Pedro said:
@emgesp said:

Mark Cerny: Hey Lisa, we are getting ready to start production of the next gen PlayStation products.
Lisa Su: What do you have in mind?
Cerny: We need low TDP. Something that doesn't run hot, and yet performs better than what the competition currently offers
Su: So not Vega or Jaguar?
Cerny: LOL, no.

#430 Edited by ronvalencia (27876 posts) -

@michaelmikado said:
@ronvalencia said:

No you are absolutely wrong AMD V1000s are absolutely Xbox One tier at 15-25W TDP while top end is pushing 3.6Tflops. The Xbox One isn't even in the same league:

AMD Ryzen™ Embedded V1807B

# of CPU Cores:4

# of Threads: 8

CPU Max Freq.: 3.8GHz
CPU Base Freq.: 3.35GHz
TDP: 35-54W
Further your own graphic even shows that GDDR6 loses to HBM2 significantly on power and space. Two places where you would put a V1000 series chip in the first place. If the priority is to minimize power and space then you are going to pair it with power and space efficient VRAM hence HBM2. That's the entire point. GDDR6's only advantage is cost. Attempting to make that argument that a chip that's 3x more powerful than an Xbox One is "not" is absurd.
You can even read the Vega Mobile 11 specs sheet for yourself.
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-rx-vega-11-mobile.c3300

Useless argument for PS5 since this APU is built on 14 nm.

V1807B's Vega 11 embedded has 8 ROPS while XBO has 16 ROPS.

https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/radeon-vega-11-embedded.c3213

V1807B's Vega 11 embedded has 1.830 TFLOPS FP32 and 3.661 TFLOP FP16 (mostly useless in most games due lack common API access e.g. needs DirectML)

PS4 Pro already has 4.2 TFLOPS FP32 with 8.4 TFLOPS FP16, hence your V1807B argument is useless.

GDDR6 directly replace GDDR5.

HBM v2 efficiency is bad.

Without delta color compression,

Vega 64 effective memory bandwidth is 303 GB/s from theoretical 484 GB/s, hence 62 percent efficient. Hitting a bottleneck.

Vega 56 effective memory bandwidth is 294 GB/s from theoretical 410 GB/s, hence 71 percent efficient.

RX 580 effective memory bandwidth is 193 GB/s from theoretical 256 GB/s, hence 75.5 percent efficient.

GDDR6-14000 256bit bus has 448 GB/s theoretical x 0.753906 = 337 GB/s effective efficient (estimate)

GDDR6-12000 256bit bus has 384 GB/s theoretical x 0.753906 = 289.5 GB/s effective efficient (estimate)

#431 Edited by xantufrog (11386 posts) -

Why are people skeptical of it having an SSD? These are basically standard now on even non-gaming consumer laptops. You have to go budget laptop to get a platter drive now, and for a dedicated gaming machine like the PS5, where games are basically all-digital (yes, even if you buy a disc) and have enormous file sizes, an SSD will be a must for next gen.

#432 Posted by tormentos (29098 posts) -

@Pedro:

The pro wasn't on e3 2016 nor was even unveil,it was basically unveal few weeks before launch the xbox one x was already confirmed as a true 4k machine you can look it up.

#433 Posted by ronvalencia (27876 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:
@emgesp said:
@Pedro said:
@emgesp said:

Mark Cerny: Hey Lisa, we are getting ready to start production of the next gen PlayStation products.

Lisa Su: What do you have in mind?

Cerny: We need low TDP. Something that doesn't run hot, and yet performs better than what the competition currently offers

Su: So not Vega or Jaguar?

Cerny: LOL, no.

AMD hasn't mastered 64 ROPS over 256bit bus GDDR6 let alone RTX 2080 Ti's 88 ROPS with 352 bit bus GDDR6.

Expect 8 ROPS per 32 bit bus channel from AMD NAVI, hence 64 ROPS for 256 bit bus GDDR6.

#434 Edited by ronvalencia (27876 posts) -

@emgesp said:
@Pedro said:
@emgesp said:

PS4's Hawaii GCN improvements with Liverpool APU's IGP has appeared with PC's R9-290X.

#435 Edited by BoxRekt (1417 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

Not really.

You made an idiotic comment and he countered you with what PC drones like you self pretend you love PC for.

It's fair game.

It's not like PS doesn't have multiple genre but all bitter jealous PC fangirls focus on are Sony's graphically impressive AAA blockbusters because PC doesn't have any. We know, CRY MOAR!

Actually he was being too generous because PC drones love move games and fall over themselves for every 3nd rate mutiplat movie games that gets ported to PC and they are lesser quality than PS exclusives.

You guys are just bottom feeders who are jealous with envy because Sony produces the industries most impressive games that you guys dream about for your generic PCs. You PC peasents have to settle for top down indie board games or wonky PS3 looking garbage like Pubg.

PC fans live off console mutliplats that are made up of 75% movie games with less quality than PS exclusives and budget indie looking early access basement titles.

#436 Edited by ronvalencia (27876 posts) -

@drlostrib said:

Welp, this got Ron-ed

Commence the poorly cobbled together techno babble and charts, and the rest of us will just wait for when none of his calculations and figures come to fruition.

See y'all in 2020

1. Xbox One X GPU has near Vega ROPS and multi-MB cache design.

2. Xbox One X CPU has latency reduction with Ryzen CCX layout design.

Try again.

#437 Posted by uninspiredcup (33441 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@uninspiredcup said:

Not really.

You made an idiotic comment and he countered you with what PC is drones love PC for.

It's fair game.

Actually he was being too generous because PC drones love move games and fall over themselves for every 3nd rate mutiplat movie games that gets ported to PC that are lesser quality than PS exclusives.

You guys are just bottom feeders who are jealous with envy because the Sony produces most of the industries bar setting graphically amazing games that you guys dream about for your over priced PCs that you end up playing top down board games on or wonk PS3 looking garbage like Pubg.

PC fans live off console mutliplats that are made up of 75% movie games with less quality than PS exclusives and budget indie looking early access basement titles.

Good gollys.

#438 Posted by lundy86_4 (53187 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@boxrekt said:

Not really.

You made an idiotic comment and he countered you with what PC is drones love PC for.

It's fair game.

Actually he was being too generous because PC drones love move games and fall over themselves for every 3nd rate mutiplat movie games that gets ported to PC that are lesser quality than PS exclusives.

You guys are just bottom feeders who are jealous with envy because the Sony produces most of the industries bar setting graphically amazing games that you guys dream about for your over priced PCs that you end up playing top down board games on or wonk PS3 looking garbage like Pubg.

Good gollys.

The guy never got the memo about the invention of the comma.

#439 Posted by DrLostRib (4904 posts) -
@ronvalencia said:
@drlostrib said:

Welp, this got Ron-ed

Commence the poorly cobbled together techno babble and charts, and the rest of us will just wait for when none of his calculations and figures come to fruition.

See y'all in 2020

1. Xbox One X GPU has near Vega ROPS and multi-MB cache design.

2. Xbox One X CPU has latency reduction with Ryzen CCX layout design.

Try again.

#440 Posted by jeezers (2879 posts) -

@Diddies said:
@jeezers said:

eh i already have 2 tvs that are 50" + that are 1080p, im not worried about higher resolution. care more about performance. I have no use for 4k yet, games look fine to me in 1080p. plus if i wait 2-3 years into the next gen (tons of games i havent played in this gen to keep me entertained) ill save alot of money

#441 Posted by BoxRekt (1417 posts) -

@jeezers:

More than likely, both next Xbox and PS5 will have setting options like most PC games do.

1080 @ 60/ or even 120 with super sampling, 1440 @ 60, 4k @ 60 might all be on the table depending on what kind of TV you are running.

Both Sony and MS have played with that this gen, it will probably be a standard option going forward.

#442 Posted by Diddies (2398 posts) -

@jeezers said:
@Diddies said:
@jeezers said:

eh i already have 2 tvs that are 50" + that are 1080p, im not worried about higher resolution. care more about performance. I have no use for 4k yet, games look fine to me in 1080p. plus if i wait 2-3 years into the next gen (tons of games i havent played in this gen to keep me entertained) ill save alot of money

If you think it is worth it to save a few hundred dollars over the course of 2-3 years then that it on you. That is some big time savings of like $10 a month.

#443 Posted by Black96Z (820 posts) -

If the PS5 is going to be BC, does that mean the controller will still have the touchpad because of games like Killzone SF the used it?

#444 Posted by BoxRekt (1417 posts) -

@Black96Z:

It's reported to be an lcd screen like a smart phone, which should also detect touch response.

#445 Posted by Pedro (34620 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@Pedro:

The pro wasn't on e3 2016 nor was even unveil,it was basically unveal few weeks before launch the xbox one x was already confirmed as a true 4k machine you can look it up.

Doesn't change the fact that Sony was the first to introduced the "4k" console.

#446 Edited by jeezers (2879 posts) -

@boxrekt: @Diddies: I dont need to buy more pixels bro i will eventually but I dont see a need to rush, I'm not one of those guys who needs the newest upgrade , I honestly just dont care about graphics like that. Personal preference, shit I still play galaga regularly 👌

Thats interesting about the 60fps option, if thats true i proabably wont buy a new tv untill my current ones die of natural causes

#447 Posted by BoxRekt (1417 posts) -

@jeezers: I wasn't advertising for you to upgrade, I was saying the next consoles will probably have options for whatever kind of TV you're running 1080 or whatever. If 1080p they will probably also have auto supersampling enabled on to of 60fps.

#448 Edited by jeezers (2879 posts) -

@boxrekt: ya I know I replied to diddies and you at same time, mb

Thats aesome if it has that performance on 1080p, thats all i need

#449 Posted by UssjTrunks (11299 posts) -

@son-goku7523 said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@UssjTrunks said:
@son-goku7523 said:

I don't know why some PC dudes are in here doing some damage control. This shit happens every gen, a new console releases or is announced with impressive specs and then the year it launches or shortly later AMD and Nvidia release cards and hardware that blow it away. The PS5's specs are impressive right now but they won't be mindblowing in 2020 when AMD and Nvidia have their next-gen cards out. It's why I usually time my PC upgrades around when new consoles launch to get the best bang for my buck.

Sony and MS are able to announce impressive console specs because they have access to hardware at a cheaper price than what we as consumers have access to right now due to their closing partnership with AMD, and the fact they buy stuff in bulk. PC gamers shouldn't be feeling a bit insecure now, leave the insecurity to lems who bought an X in 2017 and are now wondering where to go from now after hyping their 6tflop console that's about to be blown away. PCs will always reign supreme when it comes to power.

What happens every gen:

Console peasants: "New console has the processing power of a $20,000 machine learning data centre yet only costs $500"

PC master race: "You're dumb"

^ ^ Exhibit A: Another butthurt PC fanboy.

Mark Cerny hasn't announced the processing power of the PS5, he only announced the specs and some of its capabilities. Careful, your insecurity is really showing.

It feels so good to have disposable income where I can buy any console I want and maintain a nice gaming PC so I don't need to be on here getting mad any time new console specs are announced.

Nobody is butthurt. PCMR just like to keep the peasants educated since we know you aren't tech literate. We understand how hardware works and would like to disseminate that knowledge to the uninformed.

The same thing happens every generation. Console manufacturers make lavish claims about how they've found a way to "unlock" the true potential of whatever $150 GPU they've decided to go with that will allow them to get 12x the performance of the current $1000 flagship card from Nvidia. Then the console comes out and everyone realizes they were duped.

We're just doing you a favour by tempering expectations.

The fact you use terms like "PCMR" and "peasant" shows how insecure you actually are.

I've been a PC gamer since 1991, I own several PCs and have built PCs since the late 90s. My whole life has been surrounded with PCs since my dad himself was a PC gamer and tech junkie and introduced me to PC gaming at an early age. At the same time though I enjoy playing on consoles because I'm a gamer and don't believe in holding myself back. I see a system I like with quality games and I buy it. I don't believe in this stupid fabricated world you fanboys live in where people are separated into factions for preferring PC over consoles or vice versa. I acknowledge the strengths and weaknesses of console and PC gaming because I love both platforms and don't feel the need to fanboy for them or hide their supposed weaknesses. I'm a gamer through and through, neither a "PCMR" ambassador nor a "console peasant". You aren't tempering any expectations because Mark Cerny hasn't given us anything to expect, he just announced the PS5 specs and you're damage controlling because you probably feel like they are a threat to your gaming rig. Consoles will never be a threat to a truly secure PC gamer because he/she can always upgrade their PC to be better than whatever the consoles have cooked up. By coming into this thread and damage controlling as a way of "tempering expectations" you're only showing how insecure and butthurt you are. I'm a PC gamer and I don't view the PS5 as a threat at all to my PC and so I totally embrace it and welcome the birth of a new console generation as it will free us PC gamers from the shackles of current gen weak console hardware.

He didn't release any specs. Just said that it would be an AMD CPU and GPU (probably an APU to cut costs) and that it would support 8k (lol).

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#450 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3168 posts) -

@jeezers: I understand not needing the newest upgrade, but 4K tv’s have been on store shelves since like 2013. Did you wait more than 6-7 years to jump on the HD bandwagon too?