PS5 details from Mark Cerny: Backwards compatible, 8k, raytracing support, SSD standard, and more

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#301 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

@KBFloYd said:

meh

lets see what xbox has

If this is "meh" what reaction did you have with Switch's specs? Lol, sheep commenting about anything graphics related...

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#302 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46254 Posts
@emgesp said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

My predictions:

Backwards compatible: No

8k: Nope

raytracing support: No, or on an insanely basic level

SSD standard: Nope

Your predictions were wrong.

You speak in past tense, but the console hasn't even released yet.

Could you please quote me when the console is out and for sale?

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#303  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts
@pc_rocks said:

1. False. It was only powerful than most work station PC's not gaming PC's. In any given instance of time there are more powerful PC's than their comparative consoles. Marketing ploy for casuals and false.

2. No it didn't. You don't even know what GPGPU is. PC's have been using GP compute long before PS4 was even conceived. Physx has been on PC since 2007. Again PS4 has a 7850/7850 while PC had 7970 and above without even getting into Nvidia territory.

4. Who cares what you said. You are defending the current Sony which did.

5. Checkberboarding it self is simply upscaling, nothing more nothing less. The rest of trickery exists in the rendering pipeline of the engines and isn't something that Cerny or Sony invented. Key word: Game engines has to do all the grunt work, it's not Pro that's doing any kind of magic and can be done on any device be it original PS4 or X1. Again a lie for marketing.

1. Not false, the average gaming PC in 2013 using Steam Hardware survey was weaker than the PS4. https://mybroadband.co.za/news/gaming/262481-the-average-gaming-pc-5-years-ago-vs-today.html

2. Yes it did. I know GPGPU came out before PS4, but PS4 had more Asynchronous Compute Engines than the equivalent AMD cards in 2013. That = more GPGPU funtionality. 7850/7870 only had 2 engines where base PS4 has 8.

4. I updated my post. Base PS4 has HDR because the hardware inside the PS4 can handle it. It simply needed the firmware update to unlock that potential. Remember base PS4 is only rendering 1080p so it doesn't need all the bandwith that is required for HDR at 4K.

5. Its not just simple upscaling. Also, PS4 Pro doesn't just use checkerboard rendering there are other methods developers have implemented as well with good to great results. If it was just simple upscaling then they wouldn't waste time implementing it and would just have your TV upscale the image.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#304  Edited By emgesp

@R4gn4r0k said:
@emgesp said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

My predictions:

Your predictions were wrong.

You speak in past tense, but the console hasn't even released yet.

Could you please quote me when the console is out and for sale?

Mark Cerny who is the lead architect of PS5 literally confirmed those specs. I don't have to wait until PS5 releases to be confident that those specs will come into fruition when the main guy behind the project said so himself.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#305 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

I'll believe it when I see it.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#306 emgesp
@jasonofa36 said:

I'll believe it when I see it.

Why is it so hard for you to believe? The specs aren't unreasonable for a 2020 release.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#307 JasonOfA36

@emgesp: Okay, I'll believe it, but it's gonna be priced at 500+ USD.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#308 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5873 Posts

@Zero_epyon said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

My predictions:

You're calling the guy developing the console a liar?

Yeah anyone claiming 8K for next gen consoles is obviously a liar.

How much do you think a PC with 8K, ray tracing support and SSD costs?

It will support 8k. Not render native 8K. Much like the Xbox One S supports 4K TVs but it still renders ~1080p.

8K Netflix/Amazon Prime (for very specific bits early on), will be the limit for both next gen consoles.

Both dug a hole saying current gen will be 4k, only way is to bend the truth yet again with next.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#309  Edited By emgesp
@jasonofa36 said:

@emgesp: Okay, I'll believe it, but it's gonna be priced at 500+ USD.

It won't be higher than $499.99 for several reasons.

1. They don't want Microsoft having any potential price advantage.

2. They haven't done well pricing consoles over $500 in the past.

Avatar image for deactivated-6092a2d005fba
deactivated-6092a2d005fba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#310 deactivated-6092a2d005fba
Member since 2015 • 22663 Posts

So what this all means is that you will be able to watch Sony's "games" in 8k for a hefty asking price, well ok.

Oh and someone needs to bookmark this thread and see if it does everything the man behind Knack (LMFAO) says it does or if its just PR spin.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#311 JasonOfA36

@emgesp: So lemme get this straight. You think Sony would release a console with a 3rd gen Ryzen, with the latest Navi architecture, at least 16gb of ram and 1tb SSD storage that will support ray-tracing(this is stupid cos even GTX 5xx of the old can support ray-tracing), and they are packed into a tiny little piece of plastic to be priced at below 500 USD?

Bahahaha, thanks for the laugh.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#312 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

This looks like something/someone baited Sony to announce this way ahead of time. Not seeing exactly what were they thinking, why would they want to dominate the news when MS didn't announce nothing next gen yet?

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#313  Edited By emgesp
@jasonofa36 said:

@emgesp: So lemme get this straight. You think Sony would release a console with a 3rd gen Ryzen, with the latest Navi architecture, at least 16gb of ram and 1tb SSD storage that will support ray-tracing(this is stupid cos even GTX 5xx of the old can support ray-tracing), and they are packed into a tiny little piece of plastic to be priced at below 500 USD?

Bahahaha, thanks for the laugh.

Nobody said the SSD will be 1TB. There will most likely be a standard HDD as well. Don't use off the shelf PC part consumer prices as a guide. Sony gets massive discounts with their semi custom chips and other parts. Ray tracing on those older cards perform extremely poorly.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#314  Edited By JasonOfA36

@emgesp: Yeah, no. AMD wouldn't give massive, massive discounts to Sony compared to their AIBs or even themselves.

EDIT: Especially for new hardware and architecture.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#315 emgesp
@jasonofa36 said:

@emgesp: Yeah, no. AMD wouldn't give massive, massive discounts to Sony compared to their AIBs or even themselves.

Umm, they have been giving Sony discounts since PS4. When you buy in bulk you get discounts, plus Sony was part designer of the Navi architecture. Navi was originally made for the PS5.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#316 emgesp

@phbz said:

This looks like something/someone baited Sony to announce this way ahead of time. Not seeing exactly what were they thinking, why would they want to dominate the news when MS didn't announce nothing next gen yet?

Because they probably expect Microsoft to announce some specs at E3.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#317 JasonOfA36
@emgesp said:

Sony was part designer of the Navi architecture. Navi was originally made for the PS5.

Yeah, I'm gonna need a source on that one.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#318 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2927 Posts

@Archangel3371: Around 200 GB for large games, I reckon? You are going to need a serious harddrive or about 2 million floppy disks... I remember changing disks in the middle of a game on the Commodore Amiga back in 1990. Imagine doing that with today's games :)

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#319 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@emgesp said:
@pc_rocks said:

1. False. It was only powerful than most work station PC's not gaming PC's. In any given instance of time there are more powerful PC's than their comparative consoles. Marketing ploy for casuals and false.

2. No it didn't. You don't even know what GPGPU is. PC's have been using GP compute long before PS4 was even conceived. Physx has been on PC since 2007. Again PS4 has a 7850/7850 while PC had 7970 and above without even getting into Nvidia territory.

5. Checkberboarding it self is simply upscaling, nothing more nothing less. The rest of trickery exists in the rendering pipeline of the engines and isn't something that Cerny or Sony invented. Key word: Game engines has to do all the grunt work, it's not Pro that's doing any kind of magic and can be done on any device be it original PS4 or X1. Again a lie for marketing.

1. Not false, the average gaming PC in 2013 using Steam Hardware survey was weaker than the PS4. https://mybroadband.co.za/news/gaming/262481-the-average-gaming-pc-5-years-ago-vs-today.html

2. Yes it did. I know GPGPU came out before PS4, but PS4 had more Asynchronous Compute Engines than the equivalent AMD cards in 2013. That = more GPGPU funtionality. 7850/7870 only had 2 engines where base PS4 has 8.

4. I updated my post. Base PS4 has HDR because the hardware inside the PS4 can handle it. It simply needed the firmware update to unlock that potential. Remember base PS4 is only rendering 1080p so it doesn't need all the bandwith that is required for HDR at 4K.

5. Its not just simple upscaling. Also, PS4 Pro doesn't just use checkerboard rendering there are other methods developers have implemented as well with good to great results. If it was just simple upscaling then they wouldn't waste time implementing it and would just have your TV upscale the image.

1. Oh that Steam survey excuse again? Fine let's go with it still doesn't prove what Sony said is true. At any given instance there are more powerful PC's out there than their comparative consoles. It was a marketing lie nothing more than that.

2. Async Compute is different than Compute/GPGPU. Async Compute is doing/scheduling compute(GPGPU) and shader tasks in parallel. It has no bearing on actual GPGPU capabilities. Nvidia still doesn't have Async Compute better than AMD yet they have better performance both in shader and compute tasks in gaming as well as data center GPUs because their architecture don't rely on that.

4. Base PS4 don't do HDR, it's just a filter not HDR. You can't do HDR without HDMI 2.0.

5. It is. And you're right even TV's can do it. The actual work is done by the developers under the hood, Pro doesn't do anything special. The same can be done on base PS4/X1 as the developers need to code that. Again something they deliberately misled people on.

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#320 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

You guys do realise that 8K could just mean that it supports that resolution output which I assume is for media and has nothing to do with gaming resolutions.

Ray tracing is a given, pretty much all GPU's can do ray tracing... THAT doesn't mean that they should or that it won't come with a huge performance hit, the specifications are about right a 8 core zen 2 chip with a Navi Lite GPU that will be around 10-12TFLOPS with a 12-16GB worth of unified system memory and a since SSD's are cheap now with a 1TB going for less than $100 and with the manufacturers deals they can get it to probably at half that price for a mass produced console.

Also people going havoc over these specifications need to understand that this level of performance is nothing new, we are past the era of consoles coming out with cutting edge hardware its mid range stuff people relax. Also a Zen chip with a 3.2GHz boost?... that's 1/4 slower than the current Ryzen chips and we all know what happens to them against Intel chips.

People need to understand that consoles are $400-500 pieces of plastic with the bonus of being mass produced and thus getting parts cheaper they are still limited to core clocks and heat and power usuage, a 2700 and a Vega 56 is the level of performance they will hit. Expect 4K/30 with hard to run games and 4K/60 with the easier to run games... And the chances are still high that a lot of games will have performance issues because 12TFLOPS is not enough for 4K and a 3.2GHz CPU can still bottleneck depending on the game/engine.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#321 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7229 Posts

After hearing these specs makes me wonder what sort of price point it's going to be.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#322  Edited By emgesp
@pc_rocks said:
@emgesp said:
@pc_rocks said:

1. Oh that Steam survey excuse again? Fine let's go with it still doesn't prove what Sony said is true. At any given instance there are more powerful PC's out there than their comparative consoles. It was a marketing lie nothing more than that.

2. Async Compute is different than Compute/GPGPU. Async Compute is doing/scheduling compute(GPGPU) and shader tasks in parallel. It has no bearing on actual GPGPU capabilities. Nvidia still doesn't have Async Compute better than AMD yet they have better performance both in shader and compute tasks in gaming as well as data center GPUs because their architecture don't rely on that.

4. Base PS4 don't do HDR, it's just a filter not HDR. You can't do HDR without HDMI 2.0.

5. It is. And you're right even TV's can do it. The actual work is done by the developers under the hood, Pro doesn't do anything special. The same can be done on base PS4/X1 as the developers need to code that. Again something they deliberately misled people on.

1. Well I at least showed some evidence, you have showed nothing.

2. I'll have to look into that more in depth and come back to you on that one.

4. Base PS4 can do proper HDR in 1080p. The bandwidth is available. There is no evidence that PS4 is faking HDR in all games that support it.

5. Again, if your standard 4K TV can do just as good of a job upscaling then why the hell would developers continue to implement other forms of upscaling techniques? Again, show me proof that standard 4K upscaling is just as good as proper checkerboard rendering.

Son-Goku7523

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#323  Edited By Son-Goku7523
Member since 2019 • 955 Posts
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

You guys do realise that 8K could just mean that it supports that resolution output which I assume is for media and has nothing to do with gaming resolutions.

Ray tracing is a given, pretty much all GPU's can do ray tracing... THAT doesn't mean that they should or that it won't come with a huge performance hit, the specifications are about right a 8 core zen 2 chip with a Navi Lite GPU that will be around 10-12TFLOPS with a 12-16GB worth of unified system memory and a since SSD's are cheap now with a 1TB going for less than $100 and with the manufacturers deals they can get it to probably at half that price for a mass produced console.

Also people going havoc over these specifications need to understand that this level of performance is nothing new, we are past the era of consoles coming out with cutting edge hardware its mid range stuff people relax. Also a Zen chip with a 3.2GHz boost?... that's 1/4 slower than the current Ryzen chips and we all know what happens to them against Intel chips.

People need to understand that consoles are $400-500 pieces of plastic with the bonus of being mass produced and thus getting parts cheaper they are still limited to core clocks and heat and power usuage, a 2700 and a Vega 56 is the level of performance they will hit. Expect 4K/30 with hard to run games and 4K/60 with the easier to run games... And the chances are still high that a lot of games will have performance issues because 12TFLOPS is not enough for 4K and a 3.2GHz CPU can still bottleneck depending on the game/engine.

^ ^ I totally agree with this post.

People reading "Support 8K" to mean 8K gaming are totally missing the point. They probably mean games upscaled to 8K or 8K media support. The specs don't seem crazy to me and they are exactly what I expect from a 2020 console.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#324 emgesp
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Weren't you the same guy who said we would be lucky to get 10 Tflops on the PS5?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#325 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

If the rumors are correct MS will have two versions of their next console releasing? Is it safe to assume this will fit in the middle of them? I mean MS has to do it like that pretty much. If their premium console is weaker than Ps5 it's a disaster for them.

I feel like hardware-wise Xbox will probably be better next gen. But Sony's ace in the sleeve is their amazing first party studios. MS trying to catch up, but it will be tough for them.

This E3 will be interesting. Wonder if Sony's strategy of doing a modest reveal in a magazine and leave E3 to MS was that clever?

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#326 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

@emgesp said:
@pc_rocks said:
@emgesp said:
@pc_rocks said:

1. Well I at least showed some evidence, you have showed nothing.

2. I'll have to look into that more in depth and come back to you on that one.

4. Base PS4 can do proper HDR in 1080p. The bandwidth is available. There is no evidence that PS4 is faking HDR in all games that support it.

5. Again, if your standard 4K TV can do just as good of a job upscaling then why the hell would developers continue to implement other forms of upscaling techniques? Again, show me proof that standard 4K upscaling is just as good as proper checkerboard rendering.

1. I don't have to. I have shown it multiple times, ask your buddy tormentos how he got owned about it multiple times. And that is on top of that Steam survey can't be used as metric because a) it's optional b) It has shown to be inaccurate as it only shows the PC first registered against the user and not the latest specs he had. Again that has been discussed to death. Sony made a false marketing claim.

4. Need to see proof that base PS4 is doing HDR like Xbone S.

5. I already told you checkberboarding isn't something special. The real meat is the code that developers write for each game. Pro has nothing to do with it. Another lie.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#327  Edited By emgesp

@pc_rocks said:
@emgesp said:

1. I don't have to. I have shown it multiple times, ask your buddy tormentos how he got owned about it multiple times. And that is on top of that Steam survey can't be used as metric because a) it's optional b) It has shown to be inaccurate as it only shows the PC first registered against the user and not the latest specs he had. Again that has been discussed to death. Sony made a false marketing claim.

4. Need to see proof that base PS4 is doing HDR like Xbone S.

5. I already told you checkberboarding isn't something special. The real meat is the code that developers write for each game. Pro has nothing to do with it. Another lie.

1. You never showed this evidence to me. You are beyond naive and ignorant if you honestly think the average PC gaming rig in 2013 was as powerful or more poweful than the PS4. Again, there is no evidence that proves your statement to be true. There were some PCs that were more powerful yes, but they were only exceptions, not the norm. The AMD 7850/7870 and whatever Nvidia's equivalent at the time was definitely was not the average GPU in PCs in 2013.

4. You are the one who made the claim that Base PS4 only does fake HDR with zero evidence.

5. Well yeah the quality of checkerboard rendering comes down to the developers that goes without saying. Nobody assumed PS4 Pro just turns on a simple switch and everything just works.

Berserkfemto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#328  Edited By Berserkfemto
Member since 2019 • 6 Posts

Sony attempting 8k next generation is like someone going into a gym, failing a 100kg bench press so they chuck another 100kg on for a 200kg total the next week and try again

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#329  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

@berserkfemto said:

Sony attempting 8k next generation is like someone going into a gym, failing a 100kg bench press so they chuck another 100kg on for a 200kg total the next week and try again

They are not. They are using HDMI 2.1 which has 8k capabilities. But 8k will not be something games go for me thinks. And I don't think it was something Cerny pushed here either. The pitch is shorter loading times, 3d audio and raytracing...

Berserkfemto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#330  Edited By Berserkfemto

@Nonstop-Madness:

Exactly. It doesn't make sense to build up a 100 million install base and just start over again?

I imagine its much easier to pitch to Sony you want a bigger budget for God of war 2 when you could sell 15m units rather than 3.

Especially when software is where the money is typically made not the hardware. Before ps4 they always sold at a loss and made the money on the games.

I imagine since consoles are similar in tech to pc now it will be like ps4 is a lower end pc and ps5 is a high end. We get the same game for both but it will be like ps4 is running it on low /, medium and ps5 is on high / ultra

Serious question, what games that are on ps4 wouldn't have been possible on ps3? Maybe God of war since it's one continuous shot?

Open world games might not have been able to be as big.

Its been a huge leap graphics wise going from 720p to 4k hdr but I don't think much would have been impossible.

I will probably sell my pro and get a ps5 even just for those load times

Berserkfemto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#331  Edited By Berserkfemto

@Sushiglutton:

Raytracing was just added to the 1000 series of cards and it will bring a GTX 1080 ti from 140 fps to 40fps

I bought a hd TV going from ps2 to ps3. I bought a 4k TV going from ps3 to ps4 but that was only for hdr. I really can't see myself selling my 4k hdr oled next gen. Most people I know still have 1080 and say they aren't interested in 4k since there isn't enough content.

Either they'll go 4k when 8k comes out and makes 4k cheaper or those kind of people won't bother. They might go from 1080 to 8k since that's a huge leap. Kind of how I wait 3 tiers to upgrade a gpu

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#332 emgesp
@berserkfemto said:

Well, they aren't attempting 8K in terms of actual resolution for games. The resolution is simply going to be supported most likely for video.

Berserkfemto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#333  Edited By Berserkfemto

@emgesp:

4k is barely supported

What 8k content is even out there? Unless it's physically media it will be impossible for me [Australia] to use since I can't even stream 4k yet with my third world internet

If it's downloaded those files will be gigantic

4k movies are real expensive and that's when we even get them

Although I guess 4k is much bigger than when ps4 launched. I suppose they're just thinking of what 2026 will be like

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#334 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Damn some of ya'll really hanging on Cernys nuts a bit too hard

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#335  Edited By Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

@emgesp said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Weren't you the same guy who said we would be lucky to get 10 Tflops on the PS5?

Yes... Which is still true, and to be precise I said "you will be lucky to get 10-11 TFLOPS from GCN on 200w TDP" which is based on the TDP of Radeon 7 which is a GCN GPU at 7nm and is only 13.44TFLOPS.

We still don't know the TFLOP count and the only leaked information is core frequencies of the GPU, and if the word Navi "LITE" means anything it probably means it won't be using the full 64 CU count of GCN so it can still be 10-11TFLOPS or even lower. I changed my tune from 10-11TFLOPS to 12TFLOP due to the leak of 1800Mhz because I didn't think that would be do able due to the heat it would produce and cooling it would require along with power draw.

Everything is still unknown really when it comes to the details and so nothing has changed, we have known it would be a 8 core Zen chip with a Navi Lite GPU for a year now.

You people need to stop taking every leak so seriously and either make educated estimates or just shut up and wait till the reveal.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#336 emgesp

@berserkfemto said:

@emgesp:

4k is barely supported

What 8k content is even out there? Unless it's physically media it will be impossible for me [Australia] to use since I can't even stream 4k yet with my third world internet

If it's downloaded those files will be gigantic

4k movies are real expensive and that's when we even get them

Although I guess 4k is much bigger than when ps4 launched. I suppose they're just thinking of what 2026 will be like

Its simply to be future proof. Won't be relevant for awhile, but might as well have it available.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#337 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44056 Posts

Cows are easily fooled..

lol :P

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#338  Edited By SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45095 Posts

lol @ the butthurt in this thread. the console hasn't even been revealed yet.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#339 emgesp
@SecretPolice said:

Cows are easily fooled..

I'm pretty sure the lead architect of the PS5 knows whats inside the box. You realize this news is official from Sony right?

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#340 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts

No thanks, PC has games. 8K lmao

@freedomfreak said:

These consoles can't even do 4K.

20-30 fps masterrace

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#341  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@pc_rocks said:
@emgesp said:
@pc_rocks said:

2. NVIDIA Turing's DXR/RTX workloads are largely Async compute workloads, hence NVIDIA has near GCN Vega compute feature clone with additional BHV search/interact and Tensor accelerations.

Turing still improves raster hardware.

RTX 2080 Ti (without RT core usage, acting like slower Volta) vs Radeon VII on pure ray-tracing compute workload comparison

On simple ray-tracing, VII beats RTX 2080 Ti

On higher complexity ray-tracing RTX 2080 Ti beats VII

Future games has hybrid raster and raytacing, hence future GPUs shouldn't gimp raster hardware. Turing RTX's extra RT cores reduce shader hardware usage with raytracing workloads.

https://www.gamersnexus.net/news-pc/3354-nvidia-turing-architecture-quadro-rtx-intel-gpu

Turing will be a successor to Volta, which we previously detailed as being capable of leveraging Tensor cores for ray-tracing, despite an original appearance of uselessness outside of machine learning and deep learning. In our Titan V testing, we discovered significant improvement in asynchronous compute performance, and confirmed that this would remain a focus for Turing

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=17991997

As I understand the paper they caught up with AMD's GCN async compute as Turing features a hardware scheduler.

> Turing GPUs also inherit all the enhancements to the NVIDIA CUDAâ„¢ platform introduced in the Volta architecture that improve the capability, flexibility, productivity, and portability of compute applications. Features such as independent thread scheduling, hardware-accelerated Multi Process Service (MPS) with address space isolation for multiple applications, and Cooperative Groups are all part of the Turing GPU architecture.

Async compute doesn't solve AMD's rasterization bottlenecks when Turing has Async compute hardware with superior rasterization

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#342 SecretPolice

@emgesp said:
@SecretPolice said:

Cows are easily fooled..

I'm pretty sure the lead architect of the PS5 knows whats inside the box. You realize this news is official from Sony right?

Oh no, I could never imagine he'd exaggerate, no way, not even a little. lol You do realize that it was official, PS3 would be a super computer doing duel 1080P in 4D right? :P

OliverSnyders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#343 OliverSnyders
Member since 2017 • 226 Posts

What will you do with higher resolution if fps is 30? I’d rather take 80 fps.

@freedomfreak said:

/thread

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#344 emgesp

@SecretPolice: That was when Ken Kutaragi was running things. Mark Cerny is not Ken and there is nothing he said in that article that could be considered an exaggeration.

Zen CPU and Navi GPU were expected. SSD and Ray-tracing were the big surprises.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#345  Edited By DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56080 Posts

@emgesp said:

So stating a fact is shite-ass posting? I've seen tons of hardcore PC gamers admit that PS4 has put out some incredibly looking games, especially for the specs it has. You'd have to be delusional to not admit that. PC will always have the advantage of running multiplats with better resolution/frame rate, but they lack AAA exclusives that take advantage of top of the line hardware.

And what the hell agenda are you talking about?

If you really want to go their, most PC gamers like myself don't care about PS5 specs, we just wanna know what the new exclusive games will offer. And let it be know PC does have AAA games, and yes, they may not be mainstream compare to Sony/MS/Nintendo, but PC does have it's fair share of AAA games unless you know the concept to where to look at.

PC=everything else, PS4/Nintendo Switch=exclusive games. In short, I'm not interest knowing what PS5 specs will have, just tell me the exclusive games you will have is what I'm looking for. Any PC gamer will know consoles will never reach PC specs cause these console makers want to keep the price as low as $500.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#346 SecretPolice

@emgesp:

It's all good, just messing around as usual but really, it's too early to be certain about many things. We'll have all next year to see how next gen machines are shaping up and of course the official unveiling of the consoles should be exciting. :)

Vaeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#347 Vaeh
Member since 2016 • 957 Posts
@oliversnyders said:

What will you do with higher resolution if fps is 30? I’d rather take 80 fps.

@freedomfreak said:

/thread

Cows will watch cinematic movies.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#348 emgesp
@SecretPolice said:

@emgesp:

It's all good, just messing around as usual but really, it's too early to be certain about many things. We'll have all next year to see how next gen machines are shaping up and of course the official unveiling of the consoles should be exciting. :)

Yeah it seems Sony has been good with listening to the developers since PS4 development. Seems like a lot of developers really desired a SSD for future game development with good reason. Its just nice to know that will be a standard component of the PS5 and I expect Microsoft to do the same.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#349  Edited By emgesp
@davillain- said:
@emgesp said:

So stating a fact is shite-ass posting? I've seen tons of hardcore PC gamers admit that PS4 has put out some incredibly looking games, especially for the specs it has. You'd have to be delusional to not admit that. PC will always have the advantage of running multiplats with better resolution/frame rate, but they lack AAA exclusives that take advantage of top of the line hardware.

And what the hell agenda are you talking about?

If you really want to go their, most PC gamers like myself don't care about PS5 specs, we just wanna know what the new exclusive games will offer. And let it be know PC does have AAA games, and yes, they may not be mainstream compare to Sony/MS/Nintendo, but PC does have it's fair share of AAA games unless you know the concept to where to look at.

PC=everything else, PS4/Nintendo Switch=exclusive games. In short, I'm not interest knowing what PS5 specs will have, just tell me the exclusive games you will have is what I'm looking for. Any PC gamer will know consoles will never reach PC specs cause these console makers want to keep the price as low as $500.

IDK, to me AAA exclusives tends to mean pushing hardware to a certain degree. I rarely ever see AAA PC games that actually push hardware, especially top of the line hardware.

PC right now has hardware available that is a full generation ahead of base PS4, yet no PC game looks a generation better.

ronvalencia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#350  Edited By ronvalencia
Member since 2008 • 29612 Posts

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:
@emgesp said:
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Yes... Which is still true, and to be precise I said "you will be lucky to get 10-11 TFLOPS from GCN on 200w TDP" which is based on the TDP of Radeon 7 which is a GCN GPU at 7nm and is only 13.44TFLOPS.

We still don't know the TFLOP count and the only leaked information is core frequencies of the GPU, and if the word Navi "LITE" means anything it probably means it won't be using the full 64 CU count of GCN so it can still be 10-11TFLOPS or even lower. I changed my tune from 10-11TFLOPS to 12TFLOP due to the leak of 1800Mhz because I didn't think that would be do able due to the heat it would produce and cooling it would require along with power draw.

Everything is still unknown really when it comes to the details and so nothing has changed, we have known it would be a 8 core Zen chip with a Navi Lite GPU for a year now.

You people need to stop taking every leak so seriously and either make educated estimates or just shut up and wait till the reveal.

Under-voltage VII rivals RTX 2080 https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ao43xl/radeon_vii_insanely_overvolted_undervolting/

Microsoft created their own power curve profile for Xbox One X since AMD's craftsmanship is a problem.