PS5 details from Mark Cerny: Backwards compatible, 8k, raytracing support, SSD standard, and more

#151 Posted by Steppy_76 (2710 posts) -

@knight-k said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

My predictions:

Backwards compatible: No

8k: Nope

raytracing support: No, or on an insanely basic level

SSD standard: Nope

but it's official from Cerny himself

Take a look at the original PS3 shown in 2005 vs. the actual PS3 that came out. No dual HDMI, no 120 fps, no dual 1080p, no network hub. The first "reveal" of Sony systems ALWAYS have tons of features to portray power, and then strip them out over time. Let's wait till the actual announcement to see what we actually get, not what Sony is BSing about pre release.

Also, there is zero confirmation that BC won't be locked behind a paywall of some sort.

#152 Posted by Zero_epyon (13297 posts) -

@XVision84 said:

That sounds awesome, I can't wait to see how next gen games look!

Here's an idea minus the 120 fps. Probably meant 120Hz...

Loading Video...

#153 Edited by pyro1245 (5063 posts) -
@Shewgenja said:

@pyro1245: um. Ryzen has support for ridiculous amounts of pcie lanes. Also, I thought most nvme slots sat on x16? Am I wrong?

Threadripper is the one with the insane number of lanes. I'm pretty sure regular Ryzen has 16 + 4 for chipset. NVMe typically uses x4, but I'm sure you could make an SSD expansion card that uses more (onboard RAID controller or something).

@nfamouslegend said:

@pyro1245: Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/amp

Okay he is referring to PCIe gen 4, which has a higher bandwidth than gen 3. Current NVMe PCIe SSDs can saturate gen 3. Honesly I would be very surprised if they went with NVMe drives as they are much more expensive than their SATA counterparts. Any SSD would be a significant improvement over and HDD.

@xhawk27 said:
@nfamouslegend said:

@pyro1245: Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/amp

Faster than Intels Optime drives?

Optane + HDD is actually not a bad solution if you want a really large HDD. Performance is comparable to SATA SSDs.

#154 Posted by lhughey (4642 posts) -

But is it 8k/4D?

Maybe it is 8k video playback or something. It would be an egg in the face for Sony to suggest that it is capable of rendering games at 8k.

#155 Posted by XVision84 (16252 posts) -

@Zero_epyon: That looks amazing, I'm even more excited about the CPU and ssd changes.

#156 Posted by Random_Matt (4252 posts) -

@pyro1245: I thought optane too.

#157 Posted by BoxRekt (1816 posts) -

@Steppy_76 said:

Also, there is zero confirmation that BC won't be locked behind a paywall of some sort.

Stop trying to make BC into a new definition fanboy. Backward compatibility on consoles started with PlayStation and the terminology hasn't changed.

Backward compatibility + behind a paywall = no longer backward compatibility.

You better hope MS doesn't pick up your moronic suggestion of BC because they would be the first one to actually charge for BC.

#158 Posted by Sushiglutton (7264 posts) -

The SSD thing sounds too good to be true honestly. Loading times for sure are way too long this gen, one of my biggest issues. If they could shorten them by a factor 10 (or even more) that would be very much appreciated! And it's also cool that it lets them stream the game world faster. That could be huge for open world games.

Raytracing doesn't get me too excited (perhaps it would if I knew more lol). And 8k means zippo obviously.

Very laid back way to reveal a next gen console. Last time they did a very good press conference, surprised they didn't go for that strat again.

#159 Posted by Sevenizz (3912 posts) -

Sounds about as boring as a ps4.

Pass.

#160 Posted by PinchySkree (1230 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@Steppy_76 said:

Stop trying to make BC into a new definition fanboy. Backward compatibility on consoles started with PlayStation and the terminology hasn't changed.

Backward compatibility + behind a paywall = no longer backward compatibility.

You better hope MS doesn't pick up your moronic suggestion of BC because they would be the first one to actually charge for BC.

The only thing moronic here is the fact you think anything said in this forum actually has an effect on gaming anywhere

#161 Edited by Gatygun (1528 posts) -

I like how people get hyped here for the console based on its performance even while cerny mentioned nothing about the performance of the console.

I guess 10.000 high end processors, extremely fast high end SSD ( faster then PC ) and technically supports 8k resolution. Get's people's brain scrambled.

Even while it means absolutely nothing.

#162 Edited by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

@Steppy_76 said:

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚ This is some of the worst damage control I've ever seen.

Why would they lock backward compatibility behind a paywall? It defeats the whole purpose of BC in the first place. The purpose of BC is to play all your old games without having to rebuy them. It has always been like this since we started having BC on consoles. You're making it sound like this is their first foray into BC when all their consoles with the exception of the PS4 have had some form of BC since the PS2.

πŸ˜‚ This is the type of pathetic damage control that makes lems the laughing stock of the interent. You clowns have been claiming Sony wouldn't have BC and would opt instead for PS Now for years now. Now we have official confirmation of BC from Sony themselves and you clowns still don't want to let this shit go. PS5 will release and have BC on day one and there's nothing you sad clowns can do about it. You better start asking MS for some actual quality AAA games as BC isn't going to be anything to brag about next gen for your FlopBox.

#163 Posted by Techhog89 (3747 posts) -

Loading Video...
#164 Edited by Gatygun (1528 posts) -
@son-goku7523 said:
@Steppy_76 said:

Why would they lock backward compatibility behind a paywall? It defeats the whole purpose of BC in the first place. The purpose of BC is to play all your old games without having to rebuy them. It has always been like this since we started having BC on consoles. You're making it sound like this is their first foray into BC when all their consoles with the exception of the PS4 have had some form of BC since the PS2.

πŸ˜‚ This is the type of pathetic damage control that makes lems the laughing stock of the interent. You clowns have been claiming Sony wouldn't have BC and would opt instead for PS Now for years now. Now we have official confirmation of BC from Sony themselves and you clowns still don't want to let this shit go. PS5 will release and have BC on day one and there's nothing you sad clowns can do about it. You better start asking MS for some games as BC isn't going to be anything to brag about next gen for you FailBox.

Sony wants subscriptions and will do whatever they can to hold those. If locking BC behind a paywall increases there subscription number they will do so. The concern is valid. If sony cared so much about you and your consumer needs they wouldn't even charge for online to start with or lock people's accounts towards games there there platform. Watch them shoehorn it in at there reveal fast in a barrage of information.

#165 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

@Gatygun said:

I like how people get hyped here for the console based on its performance even while cerny mentioned nothing about the performance of the console.

I guess 10.000 high end processors, extremely fast high end SSD ( faster then PC ) and technically supports 8k resolution. Get's people's brain scrambled.

Even while it means absolutely nothing.

He mentions the 8 Core 7nm Zen chip and a Navi GPU, that's good enough to know it will probably blow current gen consoles out of the water. Since the Navi isn't out yet we can't get too hyped over its power but we know based on rumors it's a huge boost over what's currently available on the X and Pro. It's too early to get hyped over graphics and performance true but I'm fairly confident it will blow the X and Pro out of the water with the little info Cerny has been kind enough to share.

#166 Edited by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

@Gatygun said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@Steppy_76 said:

πŸ˜‚ This is the type of pathetic damage control that makes lems the laughing stock of the interent. You clowns have been claiming Sony wouldn't have BC and would opt instead for PS Now for years now. Now we have official confirmation of BC from Sony themselves and you clowns still don't want to let this shit go. PS5 will release and have BC on day one and there's nothing you sad clowns can do about it. You better start asking MS for some games as BC isn't going to be anything to brag about next gen for you FailBox.

Sony wants subscriptions and will do whatever they can to hold those. If locking BC behind a paywall increases there subscription number they will do so. The concern is valid. If sony cared so much about you and your consumer needs they wouldn't even charge for online to start with or lock people's accounts towards games there there platform. Watch them shoehorn it in at there reveal fast in a barrage of information.

This is based on your own speculation and not based in reality at all. Nothing that Sony has done so far with PS Now suggests that they are making a big push for subscriptions. They are very quiet about it and don't hype it at all especially when you consider it's the leading subscription service with 52% market share. Rather all their efforts this gen have shown that they are dedicated to the console itself and PSVR.

I do not believe for one second that they will lock PS4 BC behind a paywall. They can continue to offer PS3, PS2, and PS1 BC through PS Now while still supporting PS4 BC on the console itself. Claims that the PS4 BC will be locked behind a paywall sound like wishful thinking from butthurt lems worried that one of their major trump cards is being taken away from them next gen.

#167 Edited by DaVillain- (36951 posts) -

@Sushiglutton said:

The SSD thing sounds too good to be true honestly. Loading times for sure are way too long this gen, one of my biggest issues. If they could shorten them by a factor 10 (or even more) that would be very much appreciated! And it's also cool that it lets them stream the game world faster. That could be huge for open world games.

Raytracing doesn't get me too excited (perhaps it would if I knew more lol). And 8k means zippo obviously.

Very laid back way to reveal a next gen console. Last time they did a very good press conference, surprised they didn't go for that strat again.

Raytracing: It's a way of creating lighting based on line of sight. Being able to calculate the placement of shadows based on the light source's actual path to the object rather than rendering the shadows manually. It's computationally intensive, though, because it's kind of like calculus integration, you need to determine how many rays of light you want to simulate in order to get the level of shadowing you want, the more rays means the more real-time calculations must be performed to render one frame with proper shadowing and to get shadows that look clean at HD or 4K you need a lot of rays.

It's a key feature of the GeForce 20XX series, hence the branding switch from GTX to RTX. I have a RTX 2070, I sometimes use Raytracing but it is limited in games as of now but it does look amazing while playing Metro Exodus.

Edit: To be honest, this should be interesting to see what Sony can do with this kind of technology on a console (PS5) so I'm intrigued.

#168 Posted by Sushiglutton (7264 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@Sushiglutton said:

Raytracing: It's a way of creating lighting based on line of sight. Being able to calculate the placement of shadows based on the light source's actual path to the object rather than rendering the shadows manually. It's computationally intensive, though, because it's kind of like calculus integration, you need to determine how many rays of light you want to simulate in order to get the level of shadowing you want, the more rays means the more real-time calculations must be performed to render one frame with proper shadowing and to get shadows that look clean at HD or 4K you need a lot of rays.

It's a key feature of the GeForce 20 series, hence the branding switch from GTX to RTX. I have a RTX 2070, I sometimes use Raytracing but it is limited in games as of now but it does look amazing while playing Metro Exodus.

Thanks for that! I guess better looking shadows would be cool in more atmospheric games like Metro that you mention. Perhaps something for TLOU2 :)!

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#169 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3254 posts) -

@pc_rocks said:
@Shewgenja said:

@goldenelementxl: and AMD can make whatever it wants, but it won't go into a Playstation without someone from Sony to give it the ok and cut a PO. Sony to RD the box and the bits working together. Sony to put a time table on development for its interface and software. Sony to market and distribute it.

Yay, reductive reasoning funz <3

That's like ordering a Server from a vendor or workstation or a desk or anything or putting the RFP out to build a certain software. Yet, none of that makes Mark Cerny in anyway, shape or form the 'architect'. That's AMD's job which includes all the R&D for these bits working together.

Here
or
Here

Now everyone can be labeled a "architect."

@davillain- said:

$500 isn't even that expensive for new tech and $500 was a lot 20 years ago, but today's standard, it's not much. If anyone thinks $500 is a lot of money, I suggest they stop gaming and start working on improving their career salary. Hell, I spend more on PC components and I'm not even rich.

I know, right? I would buy anyting Sony and Microsoft put out, ESPECIALLY if it's bringing something new to the table. $500 for a console you will be playing for the next 5-7 years really isn't that big of an investment. $500 is chump change in most hobbies. For some reason in gaming we have to pretend like anything over $399 is for the Wall Street elites only. Gamers need to get over themselves.

And looking through the video game console history, I don't really understand where this $399 standard came from. Adjusting for inflation...

ConsoleYearOriginal Price2016 Price
Magnavox Odyssey1972$99$570.44
Atari 26001977$199$790.92
Intellivision1980$299$873.97
ColecoVision1982$175$436.78
Atari 52001982$269$671.39
NES1985$199$445.44
Sega Master System1986$199$437.32
TurboGrafx-161989$199$386.53
Sega Genesis1989$189$367.11
Neo-Geo1991$649$1,147.68
SNES1991$199$351.91
3DO1993$699$1,165.10
Atari Jaguar1993$249$440.33
PlayStation1995$299$472.54
Sega Saturn1995$399$630.58
Nintendo 641996$199$305.48
Dreamcast1999$199$287.69
PlayStation 22000$299$418.21
GameCube2001$199$270.64
Xbox2001$299$406.63
Xbox 3602005$299/$399$368.74/$492.07
Wii2006$249$297.48
PlayStation 32006$499/$599$596.16/$715.63
Wii U2012$299/$349$313.66/$366.11
PlayStation 42013$399$412.52
Xbox One2013$499$515.91
PlayStation 4 Pro2016$399$399
Nintendo Switch2017$299$299

Maybe it's time to stop bitching about console prices?

#170 Posted by Random_Matt (4252 posts) -

Do wages go up in line with inflation? For most people, nope.

#171 Posted by emgesp (7832 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:

My predictions:

Your predictions were wrong.

#172 Posted by emgesp (7832 posts) -
@navyguy21 said:

In the interview, Cerny didn't name the console, though conventional thinking states it will probably be PlayStation 5. The next-gen PlayStation is partially based on PS4 architecture, which means that it is backwards compatible.

That part worries me but otherwise it sounds pretty good so far.

You shouldn't be worried. It just means that they brought over PS4 API to make it work on the PS5. Its already been confirmed that CPU and GPU are next gen architectures.

#173 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3254 posts) -

@Random_Matt said:

Do wages go up in line with inflation? For most people, nope.

Uh, what? Do you know anyone working a job they did in 2001 that's making the same amount now? The 1990's? I know the minimum wage sure has gone up a few times since then. And an increase in wages does in fact cause inflation...

#174 Posted by emgesp (7832 posts) -

The PS5 is not gonna cost $599.99. Do you really think Sony wants to revist the 2006 drama that eventually turned into a meme?

At the very most it will be $499.99, but I still think Sony will want some type of price advantage over the Next-Gen Xbox, so don't be surprised for Sony to eat some costs and launch at a $399.99 - $449.99 price point.

#175 Edited by ellos (2044 posts) -

Meh very console standard with new buzzwords. MS look here your missing out on being first with the buzzwords. Ray tracing means sub 30fps will still be a standard. Seems like we are just rolling into same o shit.

#176 Posted by Steppy_76 (2710 posts) -

@son-goku7523 said:
@Steppy_76 said:

πŸ˜‚ This is the type of pathetic damage control that makes lems the laughing stock of the interent. You clowns have been claiming Sony wouldn't have BC and would opt instead for PS Now for years now. Now we have official confirmation of BC from Sony themselves and you clowns still don't want to let this shit go. PS5 will release and have BC on day one and there's nothing you sad clowns can do about it. You better start asking MS for some actual quality AAA games as BC isn't going to be anything to brag about next gen for your FlopBox.

Have you ever noticed how much money sony gets from remasters and rereleases? Can you play any of the PS2 titles you can download to your ps4 without PSnow by just simply sticking the disc in? How about all those digital purchases you made on your PS3, can you play any of them on the PS4? Sony has no track record of letting your digital purchases carry over from one gen to the next, so until they do so, I won't give them the benefit of the doubt? BC means the new hardware has the ability to play them on a new system, it doesn't mean it has to be free. I hope Sony does make it free, I can catch up on the PS4 titles I didn't play if/when I get a PS5(We'll see what their new controller is like).

I got plenty of AAA games on my Xbox this generation, 3rd party games make up the majority of my library, just like they did last gen, and the gen before that, and the gen before that.

#177 Posted by knight-k (2600 posts) -

@Steppy_76 said:
@knight-k said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

My predictions:

Take a look at the original PS3 shown in 2005 vs. the actual PS3 that came out. No dual HDMI, no 120 fps, no dual 1080p, no network hub. The first "reveal" of Sony systems ALWAYS have tons of features to portray power, and then strip them out over time. Let's wait till the actual announcement to see what we actually get, not what Sony is BSing about pre release.

Lol, that would be suicide if PS4 BC would be behind a paywall. But sure

#178 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8618 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

Do you know anyone working a job they did in 2001 that's making the same amount now? The 1990's? I know the minimum wage sure has gone up a few times since then. And an increase in wages does in fact cause inflation...

To the bold part: yes. Pretty much every federal employee is this person since 'emergency' pay freezes have been announced annually since around 2003. Doesn't stop the military budget from going up though, which ironically doesn't go to any military employees.

#179 Posted by FireEmblem_Man (19743 posts) -

Expect GTA news when the new console reveals happen, in Rockstar's own trailer

#180 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3254 posts) -

@Steppy_76 said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@Steppy_76 said:

Have you ever noticed how much money sony gets from remasters and rereleases? Can you play any of the PS2 titles you can download to your ps4 without PSnow by just simply sticking the disc in? How about all those digital purchases you made on your PS3, can you play any of them on the PS4? Sony has no track record of letting your digital purchases carry over from one gen to the next, so until they do so, I won't give them the benefit of the doubt? BC means the new hardware has the ability to play them on a new system, it doesn't mean it has to be free. I hope Sony does make it free, I can catch up on the PS4 titles I didn't play if/when I get a PS5(We'll see what their new controller is like).

I got plenty of AAA games on my Xbox this generation, 3rd party games make up the majority of my library, just like they did last gen, and the gen before that, and the gen before that.

If Sony is gonna release some super powerful console and sell it at a big loss, you better bet your ass they are gonna find new ways to make up the cash.

#181 Posted by emgesp (7832 posts) -
@Steppy_76 said:
@knight-k said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

My predictions:

You need to learn your history, the Sony of 2006 is not the same Sony of 2019. PS4 and PS4 Pro all had legit specs with no downgrades from reveal to launch.

Mark Cerny is pretty much the exact opposite of Ken Kutaragi. Mark is far more practical in his methods.

#182 Posted by phbz (4507 posts) -

Sony must be really eager to sell 8k TVs if their pulling this kind of BS.

#183 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (8618 posts) -

@phbz said:

Sony must be really eager to sell 8k TVs if their pulling this kind of BS.

Where's the BS

#184 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3254 posts) -

@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@goldenelementxl said:

Do you know anyone working a job they did in 2001 that's making the same amount now? The 1990's? I know the minimum wage sure has gone up a few times since then. And an increase in wages does in fact cause inflation...

To the bold part: yes. Pretty much every federal employee is this person since 'emergency' pay freezes have been announced annually since around 2003. Doesn't stop the military budget from going up though, which ironically doesn't go to any military employees.

I was in the military from 2007-2011. I still have close friends that are either active duty, commissioned or are civilians working as contractors. I have no idea what you're talking about. Federal employees get a couple percent annual increase usually, even though it was frozen for a couple of years. But since 2001? Yeah, everyone in the military and federal employees have seen increases.

Here is a easily obtainable chart showing the annual increases. I'm by no means saying its what they deserve, but it is what it is...

#185 Edited by mowgly1 (1221 posts) -

Uh, oh! Schreier is surprised!

Phil, Phil :

"...where we will once again deliver on our commitment to set the benchmark for console gaming..."

During E3 2018. Be careful what you're saying, Phil!

#186 Edited by X_CAPCOM_X (8618 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:
@X_CAPCOM_X said:
@goldenelementxl said:

I was in the military from 2007-2011. I still have close friends that are either active duty, commissioned or are civilians working as contractors. I have no idea what you're talking about. Federal employees get a couple percent annual increase usually, even though it was frozen for a couple of years. But since 2001? Yeah, everyone in the military and federal employees have seen increases.

Here is a easily obtainable chart showing the annual increases. I'm by no means saying its what they deserve, but it is what it is...

Yeah. That chart is pretty generous for 07-09. But you see those amounts in the single digits? Lol, do you think an extra 30 bucks a paycheck for hospital workers amounts to anything?

EDIT: actually its less than 30. my bad.

#187 Posted by AJStyles (920 posts) -

PS5 wooooooooooo!

8K Baby!

Gran Turismo 8K footage confirmed to be from a PS5. Hell, the final game will look even better!

#188 Posted by phbz (4507 posts) -

The PS5 will be less of an 8k console than the Pro is 4k.

#189 Posted by emgesp (7832 posts) -

Why is everyone focusing on that 8K comment? He didn't say games would run in native 8K, just that resolution will be supported in some way. Focus on the stuff that actually matters like the Zen 2 CPU, Navi GPU and SSD that will actually bring about true next-gen improvements.

We are gonna see Native 4K pretty much standard with some odd exceptions here and there and a lot more games will either target 60fps or at least offer a 60fps option. Then we have PS4 BC confirmed which makes PS5 an automatic day 1 purchase especially if it will run most PS4 games in native 4K.

#190 Posted by That_Old_Guy (1236 posts) -

I also see most hermits declaring war before the first attack is even out.

Shaking in their boots is about right.

#191 Posted by lundy86_4 (53386 posts) -

Jesus, just settle on a resolution... 8K is still a ways off being affordable, and the content is gonna be limited as all Hell for a while.

#192 Posted by Juub1990 (8639 posts) -

@emgesp: Mark Cerny "supercharged PC". This guy?

#193 Posted by phbz (4507 posts) -

@lundy86_4: It makes sense to have 8k output for media making it future proof. But to put it upfront as a main feature when you "announce" the console is more intended to create "PS5 Will be 8k" headlines to fool the casual market.

#194 Edited by pdogg93 (1607 posts) -

Wow I’ve never seen so much lem butthurt hahahahaha. Can’t wait for this thing to drop

#195 Posted by lundy86_4 (53386 posts) -

@phbz: I understand the need for the output, and I agree that the reason is to dupe the more casual market. Unfortunately, I think we'll just end up lumped with these annoying faux-8K games with shite performance. One thing I did like about the Pro, was the offering for some games to output 1080p with higher frames.

#196 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

@Steppy_76 said:
@son-goku7523 said:
@Steppy_76 said:

Keep believing whatever you wanna believe. I'm gonna laugh at you guys again when they release the PS5 with no BC paywall.

You guys were so sure the PS5 wouldn't have BC before today and you're still holding on to that damage control in this new form.

"PS5 wont have backward compatibility with PS4 games"

*Backward compatibility gets announced*

"PS5 will have backward compatibility but with a paywall. JUST YOU WAIT!!!!"

πŸ˜‚ Hilarious.

#197 Edited by emgesp (7832 posts) -
@Juub1990 said:

@emgesp: Mark Cerny "supercharged PC". This guy?

He meant architecture wise because PC is X86. He never said it was more powerful than top of the line PCs. Though, the PS4 did offer more GPGPU functionality compared to the PC graphics cards of the time. Also, no graphics card at the time had 5GBs of GDDR5 ram for game development. So he wasn't 100% wrong with that statement.

#198 Posted by Juub1990 (8639 posts) -

@emgesp: And on what planet is x86 supercharged? Been around for decades.

#199 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

PS5 isn't gonna be 8K, maybe 8K checkerboard if we are lucky.

I think the 8K support means it will support 8K media like movies.

#200 Posted by emgesp (7832 posts) -
@Juub1990 said:

@emgesp: And on what planet is x86 supercharged? Been around for decades.

I just told you. The 8GBs of GDDR5 and GPGPU functionality to start.