PS5 details from Mark Cerny: Backwards compatible, 8k, raytracing support, SSD standard, and more

Avatar image for NathanDrakeSwag
#101 Posted by NathanDrakeSwag (12862 posts) -
@R4gn4r0k said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

My predictions:

Backwards compatible: No

8k: Nope

raytracing support: No, or on an insanely basic level

SSD standard: Nope

You're calling the guy developing the console a liar?

Yeah anyone claiming 8K for next gen consoles is obviously a liar.

How much do you think a PC with 8K, ray tracing support and SSD costs?

He said it will support 8K and ray tracing. The PS4 Pro and X1X support 4K even though they don't run everything in native 4K.

You also said you don't believe it will be BC or have an SSD even though Mark said it will. Those are finalized decisions.

#102 Posted by rmpumper (652 posts) -

8K video output? Yes. 8K gameplay? In your dreams, better hope that the base model handles at least 4K30 as standard.

#103 Posted by NfamousLegend (365 posts) -

@howmakewood said:
@nfamouslegend said:

@goldenelementxl: Sony will be taking a $100+ loss on every system sold. Cerny confirmed much of the leaks today. This will not be Navi lite but based on the more powerful Navi 20.

So it's going to be better than radeon 7 with under half the power draw? Damn did AMD hire Randy for some magic tricks

On a pure hardware level it will be 5-10% faster than Radeon VII, when factoring in console to the metal optimization 25-40% faster. While Radeon VII is power hungry don't forget that its just shrunk down Vega 64 with 4 CU disabled. Navi is a new architecture built from the ground up for 7nm. Also just because consoles have typically stuck to a specific power envelope doesn't mean that they always have, the OG PS3 drew a ton of watts and i'm pretty sure the OG Xbox did as well.

#104 Posted by Pedro (34934 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@Pedro said:

Can't wait to see the price

bu but Sony won't do BC?

Still trying to figure out how my comment relates to yours. Care to point it out?

#105 Posted by Caj1986 (297 posts) -

@knight-k: well it will still outrun the ps5

#106 Edited by pyro1245 (5056 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@R4gn4r0k said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

My predictions:

Yeah anyone claiming 8K for next gen consoles is obviously a liar.

How much do you think a PC with 8K, ray tracing support and SSD costs?

He said it will support 8K and ray tracing. The PS4 Pro and X1X support 4K even though they don't run everything in native 4K.

You also said you don't believe it will be BC or have an SSD even though Mark said it will. Those are finalized decisions.

Just to reiterate....

HDMI 2.1 supports 8K up to 30fps, or up to 120 fps with compression. This is probably what they are referring to.

So if you are one of the few people who have an 8K TV, the PS5 will output without your TV having to switch to a lower resolution.

I hope the SSD is real. It's about 50% more than a 5400 RPM drive (garbage). I'd pay an extra $50 for a computer that doesn't suck. HDDs are for servers with RAID and cache drives. (compare 1TB prices - $50 for crappy HDD or $100 for SSD - cheapest on pcpartpicker and you know they will get volume discount).

#107 Posted by Pedro (34934 posts) -

Now fools are trying to argue that Mark Cerny/Sony are the co-designers of Navi and Zen.

#108 Posted by NfamousLegend (365 posts) -

@pyro1245: What do you mean "I hope the SSD is real"? we just heard it from the lead architect's mouth. It is very real and is faster than any currently available.

#109 Edited by BoxRekt (1756 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

@nfamouslegend: Sony’s gonna find it impossible to build something close to those specs at $499 as well. And that power draw is gonna be like triple what a console usually pulls

Some of y’all smoking that strong stuff today

lol wait, you spent $500 for the X to play upresed current gen multiplats, it's funny to see you concerned over the price a true generational upgrade that will actually have double the performance of the X and real next gen exclusives for the same or at most $100 more.

I don't see a problem, anyone who didn't waste their money on an X wouldn't have much of a probelm with a $499 or even $599 launch price for PS5.

What ever the price it will be a much more worthwhile purchase than the money you spent on your X.

@VERTIGO47 said:
@boxrekt said:
@VERTIGO47 said:

So basically it's $599.99 again.

Didn't you buy a redundant $500 Xbox One X that only plays current gen multiplats in a higher res?

LMFAO

Lems can't talk about price no matter what Sony retials PS5 at with their idiotic $500 X1X purchase hanging over their heads.

LOL, what? I used my Xbox One X for everything. And quite satisfied since I knew what I was buying. You on the other hand keep crying about the X 24/7 in your REKT mind, but yet to YOU (and most butthurt Cows), it's "redundant". Hmmmmmm.

ALL I said was $599 again, and Quacknut and his thousandth Alt Account decides to go apeshit.

Please, go crawl back to your basement and stay shook Quack......I mean stay REKT.

lol damn did I hurt your feelings?

What a melt down. Guess I hit a nerve.

Yeah, like I said, you or any other bottom feeding lemnings shouldn't comment on PS5's price point. You guys were foolish enough to buy a system that will be close to if not the same price as the PS5 to play current gen multiplats.

Surely you guys shouldn't be concerned about the price of a competitor systems based on your bonehead purchase decisions.

#110 Posted by pyro1245 (5056 posts) -
@nfamouslegend said:

@pyro1245: What do you mean "I hope the SSD is real"? we just heard it from the lead architect's mouth. It is very real and is faster than any currently available.

Where did you read that? I'd love to look at the details.

#111 Posted by Pedro (34934 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:
@nfamouslegend said:

Some of these folks are living in an alternative reality.

#112 Posted by Gatygun (1528 posts) -

So basically nothing new.

SSD was a given anyway, to load the massive data needed you need faster performance on it. Probably small size with it.

Faster then any pc means nothing, as if you reduce 10 seconds to 1 second ( 10x increase in speed ), you can get another 10x increase but the difference will only be less then a second instead of the innitional 9 seconds.

That's why nobody really upgrades there SSD's to faster ones on PC to start with. After a certain speed its really not noticable anymore.

8k support was a given, this doesn't mean it can do 8k. GPU's always support higher resolutions then they can actually render in any meaningful way.

8 core cpu was also a given, new architecture was also well known.

BC was also a given, no way in hell they could not opt for it.

Raytracing support was also a given, any new gpu supports it in the current times already. How practical that will be to be pushed on a weak gpu they going to use. Probably not much. But support was a given.

So in short nothing new.

#113 Posted by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

It seems obvious to me that ps5 would have a bigger budget from Sony than PS4 did. Analysts everywhere were predicting Gen8 would be a failure and that Sony was in trouble.

Now, Sony is more profitable than it has been since the 80s and they are splashing coin on their crown jewel product to protect its market position. Only a basic B wouldn't suspect that PS5 was going to re-beast.

#114 Posted by BassMan (10378 posts) -

Hopefully the exclusives that run at 30fps get patched so we can play them properly at 60fps or higher on the new hardware. Fucking current gen consoles and their shit hardware.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
#115 Edited by ___gamemaster__ (2669 posts) -

looking good. i hope it hit the sweet spot on price though

#116 Posted by pyro1245 (5056 posts) -
@Pedro said:
@pyro1245 said:
@nfamouslegend said:

For reference I'd like to point out that current PCIe NVMe SSDs can saturate a 4X PCIe 3.0 bus (about 4GB/s).

@nfamouslegend these claims are very curious and require proof. NVMe drives are much more expensive than their SATA equivelents and require extra PCIe lanes directly to the CPU which already has accommodate the GPU and I/O

#117 Posted by BoxRekt (1756 posts) -

@Pedro said:
@pyro1245 said:
@nfamouslegend said:

Feeling a lil salty about that $500 X purchase you made to play current gen multiplats I see.

lol at not realizing the difference between a "mid-gen" upgrade and an actual next gen system.

I always did expect xbox fanatics were a little off.

How's it feel to know you wasted $500 for honorary bragging rights that ended up in no new games and won't last longer than a year?

#118 Posted by Pedro (34934 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

Feeling a lil salty about that $500 X purchase you made to play current gen multiplats I see.

lol at not realizing the difference between a "mid-gen" upgrade and an actual next gen system.

I always did expect xbox fanatics were a little off.

How's it feel to know you wasted $500 for honorary bragging rights that ended up in no new games and won't last longer than a year?

#119 Posted by Howmakewood (5929 posts) -
@nfamouslegend said:
@howmakewood said:
@nfamouslegend said:

@goldenelementxl: Sony will be taking a $100+ loss on every system sold. Cerny confirmed much of the leaks today. This will not be Navi lite but based on the more powerful Navi 20.

So it's going to be better than radeon 7 with under half the power draw? Damn did AMD hire Randy for some magic tricks

On a pure hardware level it will be 5-10% faster than Radeon VII, when factoring in console to the metal optimization 25-40% faster. While Radeon VII is power hungry don't forget that its just shrunk down Vega 64 with 4 CU disabled. Navi is a new architecture built from the ground up for 7nm. Also just because consoles have typically stuck to a specific power envelope doesn't mean that they always have, the OG PS3 drew a ton of watts and i'm pretty sure the OG Xbox did as well.

Ye we been down this rodeo a bit too many times with AMD, but if you want to believe...

#120 Posted by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

@pyro1245: um. Ryzen has support for ridiculous amounts of pcie lanes. Also, I thought most nvme slots sat on x16? Am I wrong?

#121 Posted by VERTIGO47 (7104 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

lol wait, you spent $500 for the X to play upresed current gen multiplats, it's funny to see you concerned aover the price a true generational upgrade that will actually have double the performance and real next gen exclusives for the same or at most $100 more.

I don't see a problem, anyone who didn't waste their money on an X wouldn't have much of a probelm with this launch price.

@VERTIGO47 said:
@boxrekt said:
@VERTIGO47 said:

So basically it's $599.99 again.

Didn't you buy a redundant $500 Xbox One X that only plays current gen multiplats in a higher res?

LMFAO

Lems can't talk about price no matter what Sony retials PS5 at with their idiotic $500 X1X purchase hanging over their heads.

LOL, what? I used my Xbox One X for everything. And quite satisfied since I knew what I was buying. You on the other hand keep crying about the X 24/7 in your REKT mind, but yet to YOU (and most butthurt Cows), it's "redundant". Hmmmmmm.

ALL I said was $599 again, and Quacknut and his thousandth Alt Account decides to go apeshit.

Please, go crawl back to your basement and stay shook Quack......I mean stay REKT.

lol damn did I hurt your feelings?

What a melt down. Guess I hit a nerve.

Yeah, like I said, you or any other bottom feeding lemnings shouldn't comment on PS5's price point. You guys were foolish enough to buy a system that will be close to if not the same price as the PS5 to play current gen multiplats.

Surely you guys shouldn't be concerned about the price of a competitor systems based on your bonehead purchase decisions.

LOL, you didn't strike any nerve, kid. Seems your the one who's completely REKT, which is why you came crawling out of the woodwork so suddenly under your multiple account to respond to me.

Most people who purchase the X knew exactly what we were purchasing and are very much satisfied with its capabilities at that price point for a console, it's no where near perfect, but still a well worth purchase. Not my problem that a pathetic no life loser such as yourself Quack and your pathetic multiple alts CAN'T handle that nor seem to understand. Nobody here sane enough expects anything from a rabid pathetic Cow fanbase. Anyone can argue about pricing. Who are you to tell anybody off? Who the hell are you to criticize people based on their purchases. If they enjoy it, want it, they can buy whatever the hell they want.

Stay REKT, Quack.

#122 Posted by Pedro (34934 posts) -

@pyro1245 said:

For reference I'd like to point out that current PCIe NVMe SSDs can saturate a 4X PCIe 3.0 bus (about 4GB/s).

@nfamouslegend these claims are very curious and require proof. NVMe drives are much more expensive than their SATA equivelents and require extra PCIe lanes directly to the CPU which already has accommodate the GPU and I/O

New console. New bullshit claims. New breed of stupidity. Its all part of the cycle. :)

I just hope both companies consider having M.2 expansion slot.

#123 Edited by DaVillain- (36923 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@goldenelementxl said:

@nfamouslegend: Sony’s gonna find it impossible to build something close to those specs at $499 as well. And that power draw is gonna be like triple what a console usually pulls

Some of y’all smoking that strong stuff today

lol wait, you spent $500 for the X to play upresed current gen multiplats, it's funny to see you concerned over the price a true generational upgrade that will actually have double the performance of the X and real next gen exclusives for the same or at most $100 more.

I don't see a problem, anyone who didn't waste their money on an X wouldn't have much of a probelm with a $499 or even $599 launch price for PS5.

What ever the price it will be a much more worthwhile purchase than the money you spent on your X.

$500 isn't even that expensive for new tech and $500 was a lot 20 years ago, but today's standard, it's not much. If anyone thinks $500 is a lot of money, I suggest they stop gaming and start working on improving their career salary. Hell, I spend more on PC components and I'm not even rich.

#124 Posted by NfamousLegend (365 posts) -

@pyro1245: Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/amp

#125 Edited by BoxRekt (1756 posts) -

@VERTIGO47 said:

LOL, you didn't strike any nerve, kid. Seems your the one who's completely REKT, which is why you came crawling out of the woodwork so suddenly under your multiple account to respond to me.

Most people who purchase the X knew exactly what we were purchasing and are very much satisfied with its capabilities at that price point for a console, it's no where near perfect, but still a well worth purchase. Not my problem that a pathetic no life loser such as yourself Quack and your pathetic multiple alts CAN'T handle that nor seem to understand. Nobody here sane enough expects anything from a rabid pathetic Cow fanbase. Anyone can argue about pricing. Who are you to tell anybody off? Who the hell are you to criticize people based on their purchases. If they enjoy it, want it, they can buy whatever the hell they want.

Stay REKT, Quack.

LMFAO

All dat buyers remorse!

Do you have more?

#126 Posted by Howmakewood (5929 posts) -
@Shewgenja said:

@pyro1245: um. Ryzen has support for ridiculous amounts of pcie lanes. Also, I thought most nvme slots sat on x16? Am I wrong?

they dont even saturate x4 so that's hardly an issue

#127 Posted by Pedro (34934 posts) -

@VERTIGO47: Looks like your stroke multiple nerves. LMAO.

#128 Posted by xhawk27 (11306 posts) -

Remember when people said the X will be using a ryzen CPU and that it would cost $800.

#129 Posted by ProtossRushX (5438 posts) -

I'm done with PC gaming im going PS5 all in on it

#130 Posted by xhawk27 (11306 posts) -

@nfamouslegend said:

@pyro1245: Cerny claims that it has a raw bandwidth higher than any SSD available for PCs.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/amp

Faster than Intels Optime drives?

#131 Posted by Pedro (34934 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:

Remember when people said the X will be using a ryzen CPU and that it would cost $800.

I am not sure what your point is? Are you talking specifically about price or processor for the PS5?

#132 Posted by evilross (1983 posts) -

This is about what I was expecting. The BC I was hoping for but not sure we were going to get so that’s very good news.

This machine should do well gaming at 4K with the to the metal console advantage. It will be 8k comparable, but don’t expect 8k games of course.

I think one of the main reasons for these specs is Sony’s belief in VR. I’m interested to see the new VR set. He didn’t come out and say it, but by saying the current PSVR will work with PS5 it pretty much seemed to me to say PS5 will have an upgraded headset.

As far as price goes, I think there may be a VR bundle and a standard system. I’m going to guess November 2020 with a price tag of $399 and $499 respectively.

#133 Posted by xhawk27 (11306 posts) -

@Pedro said:
@xhawk27 said:

I am not sure what your point is? Are you talking specifically about price or processor for the PS5?

I am saying don't hype up things so high they can only disappoint you.

#134 Posted by PC_Rocks (2493 posts) -

I don't understand why anyone calls him an architect? It was AMD who designed and developed the console as per the requirements down to dev kits and software stack. I mean I don't hear any such position or claim by Nintendo or MS for their consoles.

All he did was choosing out of the shelf components from AMD based on the budget and requirements he was given. I think the only worthwhile credentials he has is his ability to speak Japanese and act as a middleware between Sony headquarters and AMD's architecture team.

#135 Posted by PC_Rocks (2493 posts) -

@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

My predictions:

He's not developing the console. AMD is. And he's a liar because I remember the claims of PS4 being the super charged PC and powerful than 99.99999999999% of PC's out there.

#136 Posted by Pedro (34934 posts) -

@xhawk27 said:
@Pedro said:
@xhawk27 said:

I am saying don't hype up things so high they can only disappoint you.

Gotcha.

@pc_rocks said:

I don't understand why anyone calls him an architect? It was AMD who designed and developed the console as per the requirements down to dev kits and software stack. I mean I don't hear any such position or claim by Nintendo or MS for their consoles.

All he did was choosing out of the shelf components from AMD based on the budget and requirements he was given. I think the only worthwhile credentials he has is his ability to speak Japanese and act as a middleware between Sony headquarters and AMD's architecture team.

Let them live in their dream world. Soon they will realize that AMD is also making the core components for the next Xbox.

#137 Edited by BoxRekt (1756 posts) -

@ProtossRushX said:

I'm done with PC gaming im going PS5 all in on it

I have a gaming PC already for the random cheap indie that somehow doesn't get ported to PS5 or the off chance MS makes a game that isn't complete crap (unlikely).

With this last PC upgrade I've already spent more money than whatever the PS5 will possibly cost and it isn't close to PS5's projected specs. Enjoyed a game or 2 but for the most part the investment has been a waste of money.

Everything else it will be PS5 and I'll be forwarding my current collection PS4 titles to PS5 day 1 for incredible 4k @ 60FPS support to replay some of my favs from this gen.

Xbox? You'd have to be an idiot so support any platform MS makes after this gen and they showed they don't even care about games. Xbox is finished.

#138 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

@pc_rocks said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

My predictions:

He's not developing the console. AMD is. And he's a liar because I remember the claims of PS4 being the super charged PC and powerful than 99.99999999999% of PC's out there.

😂 It's a random Tuesday in April and Sony has you fanboys shook and in damage control mode with one announcement, I love it.

#139 Posted by xhawk27 (11306 posts) -

@pc_rocks said:
@NathanDrakeSwag said:
@R4gn4r0k said:

My predictions:

Yeah and about Half-flops that would make the PS4 Pro 8 Tflops. Yeah that sure help it beat the Beast X. LMFAO

#140 Posted by Pedro (34934 posts) -

That's some serious account switching and Alting. Simply amazing.

#141 Posted by PC_Rocks (2493 posts) -

@Shewgenja said:

@goldenelementxl: and AMD can make whatever it wants, but it won't go into a Playstation without someone from Sony to give it the ok and cut a PO. Sony to RD the box and the bits working together. Sony to put a time table on development for its interface and software. Sony to market and distribute it.

Yay, reductive reasoning funz <3

That's like ordering a Server from a vendor or workstation or a desk or anything or putting the RFP out to build a certain software. Yet, none of that makes Mark Cerny in anyway, shape or form the 'architect'. That's AMD's job which includes all the R&D for these bits working together.

#142 Posted by Random_Matt (4244 posts) -

Is it a dedicated SSD or some on board stuff, but still has a HDD.

#143 Posted by Pedro (34934 posts) -

@Random_Matt said:

Is it a dedicated SSD or some on board stuff, but still has a HDD.

Most likely its a hybrid. If they implement M.2 support then its all good. :)

#144 Posted by DaVillain- (36923 posts) -

@dxmcat said:
@davillain- said:

I see all the PC gamers with their radical specs here are getting worried, they are shaking in their boots XD

Nah I dont really care when McDonalds announces a new menu item.

Wendy's>>>McDonald's.....yeah.

#145 Posted by VERTIGO47 (7104 posts) -

@boxrekt said:

LMFAO

Do you have more?

Yeah here's a clue:

#146 Posted by lamprey263 (36143 posts) -

I expected BC with PS4 since there weren't same challenges going between PS3 and PS4, but I am more interested in BC with PS1 and PS2 games and how that plays out. PS3 had one of the best downloadable BC catalogs with their PS1/PS2 classics and they need to get back to that, hopefully not limited to streaming.

#147 Posted by VERTIGO47 (7104 posts) -

@Pedro said:

@VERTIGO47: Looks like your stroke multiple nerves. LMAO.

LOL, indeed.

I also noticed the multiple accounts switching. Pathetic and sad, really.

#148 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18985 posts) -

@Pedro said:

That's some serious account switching and Alting. Simply amazing.

Lol, what else is new?! Probably all the same person.

#149 Posted by XVision84 (16239 posts) -

That sounds awesome, I can't wait to see how next gen games look!

#150 Posted by Zero_epyon (13292 posts) -
@xhawk27 said:

That was before MS officially revealed that it would be a Jaguar. There's little to speculate on hardware wise since this is Sony saying what it will be based on.