PS5 details from Mark Cerny: Backwards compatible, 8k, raytracing support, SSD standard, and more

#51 Edited by BigBadBully (2163 posts) -

Specs don't mean much, Sony needs to work more on the services. How will they make PSNow more attractive and match gamepass and get more people into PSN with multiplayer/online gaming.

MS studios and Gamepass going to stomp on Sony if PSNow stays the same and Sony doesn't build up/acquire studios. Just the occasional exclusive and then collect dust until the next.

#52 Posted by SecretPolice (35326 posts) -

@davillain- said:

I see all the PC gamers with their radical specs here are getting worried, they are shaking in their boots XD

lol :P

#53 Posted by DaVillain- (36883 posts) -

Don't really care about PS5 specs, all I really care about is the games that will have on launch. I'm more interest seeing newer PS5 exclusives for the most parts.

#54 Posted by knight-k (2600 posts) -

@davillain- said:

I see all the PC gamers with their radical specs here are getting worried, they are shaking in their boots XD

"BUUUHH MUHHHH 2080 RTX PRO SUPERDUPER EDIZIONNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

#55 Edited by X_CAPCOM_X (8618 posts) -

Don't know what he means by 8K. Probably videos or upscaling or something. My GPU wouldn't do 8k gaming so he can't mean that. Let's be realistic.

BC is some very good news. SSDs may drive up the price, but quad layer is getting cheap so it could also be still v cheap. Overall it's looking good. I hope they implement full BC with PS3 included. I have a substantial PS3 library that makes it still a rival to PS4.

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
#56 Edited by Nonstop-Madness (10060 posts) -

It's so odd that they'd drop this info on folks in an article. Like, really?

But, I guess it's a bit refreshing. It seems like next gen will be about more than just TFLOPS.

#57 Posted by kuu2 (11155 posts) -

PS5 8k video output = 8K in Sony speak.

#58 Posted by WhatAFailure (378 posts) -

@BigBadBully said:

Specs don't mean much, Sony needs to work more on the services. How will they make PSNow more attractive and match gamepass and get more people into PSN with multiplayer/online gaming.

MS studios and Gamepass going to stomp on Sony if PSNow stays the same and Sony doesn't build up/acquire studios. Just the occasional exclusive and then collect dust until the next.

Even with GamePass right now, MS isn't exactly stomping Sony. It's the other way around.

Major exclusive games is still the most important thing, and that's where Sony still beats MS. Sony doesn't even have to add anymore studios - just wait for PS5's God of War sequel(s), Spider-Man sequels, Horizon Zero Dawn sequel(s), 2 or more Naughty Dog games, Sucker Punch games, weeaboo stuff, bigger and better PSVR games

What MS needs to do is work on their own exclusive development teams, because the combined Metacritic scores for them is lower (as well as sales) than PS4's.

#59 Posted by Chutebox (44630 posts) -

@subspecies said:
@Chutebox said:

Oh, so these aren't leaked details but are.actually legit?

Well they came from Mark Cerny. I don't think he'd lie.

Damn...this is....weird. Has a company every released specs prior to release?

#60 Posted by VERTIGO47 (7104 posts) -

So basically it's $599.99 again.

#61 Posted by Jacanuk (18603 posts) -
@Shewgenja said:

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps5-first-details-specs-backwards-compatible-8k-ps/1100-6466281/

It will also have a disc drive and it seems that early releases will be cross gen. PSVR support out of the box. Seems like a seamless upgrade from the 4.

So can someone explain where someone like Cerny who may have worked together with Sony but has nothing to do with Sony R&D would even begin to know this /hypothetical question, (and yes I know he is a developer and developers get early look but they are usually under heavy NDA´s) And also why it comes from this guy and not Sony themselves.

With that said though, if anything he said is true, 8k sounds like a bit stupid considering we are at least 5 years away from it being mainstream and there being enough content to warrant a purchase.

#62 Edited by robert_sparkes (3071 posts) -

I don't agree with the exclusives don't win generations question. It's pretty obvious if you have quality first party exclusives that sell systems the 3rd party devs prioritise that particular console.

#63 Edited by WhatAFailure (378 posts) -

@subspecies said:

This thread reeks of lem perspiration, and it's only going to get worse.

Meanwhile, next gen PSVR here we go!

Sony rebuilt their foundation this gen and all they have to do is work on top of that and they should be good. Nothing crazy here. Just imagine how many sales they will get with more God of War (reinvigorated interest in franchise and GOTY winner), Horizon Zero Dawn and Spider-Man (and nothing stopping them from doing more next-gen Marvel stuff). Throw in likely a likely new IP from Naughty Dog and I can see Sony having another dominant console for another generation.

What did MS accomplish this gen other than looking like wallpaper sitting there and watching all of this? Is the excitement from gamers around another Halo and Gears sequel as high as it is for a God of War, Spider-Man and Horizon Zero Dawn sequel?

#64 Posted by Vaidream45 (1960 posts) -

8k??? But Sony hasn’t even figured out 4k yet. This must be false info.

#65 Posted by Random_Matt (4241 posts) -
@VERTIGO47 said:

Sony would have to take a loss and sell at $499.

#66 Edited by DaVillain- (36883 posts) -

@knight-k said:
@davillain- said:

"BUUUHH MUHHHH 2080 RTX PRO SUPERDUPER EDIZIONNNNN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Naaa, I'm satisfied with my shiny new RTX 2070. Not even shaking my own boots :)

I have all the power I'll ever need for the next next, next-gen console!!!!!!!

#67 Posted by Telekill (8484 posts) -

It's a great start to the PS5. The only thing that I'm questioning is 8K inclusion. My guess is that it won't output 8K but will use some kind of upscaler. I'm not planning to buy an 8K TV for some time... maybe never. 4K seems about as good as it gets for me personally.

#68 Posted by knight-k (2600 posts) -

@davillain- said:
@knight-k said:
@davillain- said:

Naaa, I'm satisfied with my shiny new RTX 2070. Not even shaking my own boots :)

I have all the power I'll ever need for the next next, next-gen console!!!!!!!

But PC has no AAA exclusives, so who cares. But have fun with your 2D indie exclusives and being ripped off by Nvidia goals of 2019

Avatar image for Nonstop-Madness
#69 Edited by Nonstop-Madness (10060 posts) -

@Random_Matt said:
@VERTIGO47 said:

Sony would have to take a loss and sell at $499.

I'm not sure if they'll take a loss or not but, $499 sounds about right.

I very much expect both generations to overlap for at least two years with many cross gen games / franchises; publishers and console makers simply cannot afford to experience a huge generational reset.

#70 Edited by Antwan3K (4400 posts) -

It's that time again already, gonna be great to see new hardware and strategies..

I'm more-so interested in how they are going to handle cross-gen games.. Will there be both a PS4 and PS5 version you have to purchase or if you purchase one game, will it carry across both systems?..

I'm also curious about their stance on cross-play and cross-progression moving forward.. As a consumer, this is simply a good move for us gamers.. Being able to carry your content across platforms and game with your friends no matter what platform they're on..

Beyond that, I'd like to see how they are going to evolve PS Now in the face of Google's Stadia and Microsoft's XCloud coupled with Game Pass..

I have similar questions for Microsoft as well.. Hopefully we get more info on that during E3 season..

Avatar image for goldenelementxl
#71 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3236 posts) -

@robert_sparkes: “It's pretty obvious if you have quality first party exclusives that sell systems the 3rd party devs prioritise that particular console.”

You can’t honestly think that’s how any of this works, right? Nintendo has the highest attach rates and arguably the best first party lineup every generation. The reason the PS4 was prioritized was because of the number of consoles sold number one, and two because of the power advantage / ease of programming advantage over the Xbox One. The PS3 had an even better first party lineup last gen, yet the 360 was the lead platform for the majority of 3rd party titles. Power/ease of use and install base are all that 3rd parties care about

#72 Posted by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

@Jacanuk: Mark Cerny was the Lead System Architect of the ps4.

#73 Posted by navyguy21 (15247 posts) -

In the interview, Cerny didn't name the console, though conventional thinking states it will probably be PlayStation 5. The next-gen PlayStation is partially based on PS4 architecture, which means that it is backwards compatible.

That part worries me but otherwise it sounds pretty good so far.

#74 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3236 posts) -

@Shewgenja: That means almost nothing. AMD made the APU. Cerny can give himself whatever title he wants. AMD designed the important stuff.

#75 Edited by IvanGrozny (896 posts) -

It says it will support resolutions up to 8k. It doesn't say it will be actually running games at that resolution.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#76 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4730 posts) -

Yeeeeaaah. This seems like an awful big promise. 8K? Not everyone has even adopted 4K yet. This is the stuff the highest of PCs is touting, and they're supposed to deliver it in a mass market box? They have to be working on the 2-tier approach as well. It would be nuts to come out with an $800 box just to show up MS's higher end model. Like, defeating the purpose nuts.

#77 Posted by Zero_epyon (13289 posts) -
@navyguy21 said:

In the interview, Cerny didn't name the console, though conventional thinking states it will probably be PlayStation 5. The next-gen PlayStation is partially based on PS4 architecture, which means that it is backwards compatible.

That part worries me but otherwise it sounds pretty good so far.

Basically, it's still going to be an AMD APU based on x86 and not some super specialized architecture like the cell processor.

#78 Posted by BoxRekt (1670 posts) -

@Pedro said:

Can't wait to see the price

bu but Sony won't do BC?

@Chutebox said:

Oh, so these aren't leaked details but are.actually legit?

yes lemmings and hermits are in severe damage control

#79 Posted by Howmakewood (5925 posts) -
@BenjaminBanklin said:

Yeeeeaaah. This seems like an awful big promise. 8K? Not everyone has even adopted 4K yet. This is the stuff the highest of PCs is touting, and they're supposed to deliver it in a mass market box? They have to be working on the 2-tier approach as well. It would be nuts to come out with an $800 box just to show up MS's higher end model. Like, defeating the purpose nuts.

We'll its just that 2.1 hdmi supports 8k and ps5 will obviously have the latest hdmi interface

#80 Posted by dzimm (5489 posts) -

"PS5 details from Mark Cerny: Backwards compatible, 8k, raytracing support, SSD standard, and more"

Sounds to me like a $1000 price tag for the base model.

#81 Posted by pyro1245 (5049 posts) -

I'm glad they are sticking with the x86 architecture.

Development tools have come a long way in the past 5-10 years.

#82 Edited by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: and AMD can make whatever it wants, but it won't go into a Playstation without someone from Sony to give it the ok and cut a PO. Sony to RD the box and the bits working together. Sony to put a time table on development for its interface and software. Sony to market and distribute it.

Yay, reductive reasoning funz <3

#83 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4730 posts) -

Random LOL. This is the kind of stuff that used to come from KazHiraiCEO.

#84 Posted by Son-Goku7523 (955 posts) -

lol, I remember telling some dumb lems that PS5 would support BC with PS4 out of the box and they said I was doing wishful thinking. MS better find a new ace in the hole, BC isn't gonna be something they can tout over Sony next gen.

Sony is going for the jugular this time. PS4 BC means that PS5 is a day one purchase for me and a lot of people.

#85 Edited by BoxRekt (1670 posts) -

@VERTIGO47 said:

Didn't you buy a redundant $500 Xbox One X that only plays current gen multiplats in a higher res?

LMFAO

Lems can't talk about price no matter what Sony retials PS5 at with their idiotic $500 X1X purchase hanging over their heads.

PS5 will play next gen EXCLUSIVE games and be around double the performance of the X they paid $500 for less than a year ago. Lems don't talk about Sony's price with your brainless X purchase you made.

We all know that 98% of you guys on here admitted to buying one so paying $599 would be nothing compared to buying a completely worthless box like you guys did buying the last gen box for multiplats in higher res.

#86 Edited by BoxRekt (1670 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

@Shewgenja: That means almost nothing. AMD made the APU. Cerny can give himself whatever title he wants. AMD designed the important stuff.

Are you really that ignorant?

Do you realize that the patents that have come out detailing how the CPU's implementation of BC will work with PS5 were ALL designed by Mark Cerny?

There is a big difference between actually making something and who actually has a hand in DESIGNING it.

AMD is in charge of putting it together, Mark Cerny is in charge of mandating what it consists of.

He surely knows more than a system wars fanboy or someone dense enough to buy a Xbox One X with a gaming PC.

#87 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (4730 posts) -
@boxrekt said:
@VERTIGO47 said:

Didn't you buy a redundant $500 Xbox One X that only plays current gen multiplats in a higher res?

LMFAO

Lems can't talk about price no matter what Sony retials PS5 at with their idiotic $500 X1X purchase hanging over their heads.

PS5 will play next gen EXCLUSIVE games and be around double the performance of the X they paid $500 for less than a year ago. Lems don't talk about Sony's price with your brainless X purchase you made.

We all know that 98% of you guys on here admitted to buying one so paying $599 would be nothing compared to buying a completely worthless box like you guys did buying the last gen box for multiplats in higher res.

You're right. Xbox fans just spoiled the well for themselves. They were so desperate just to have anything that would give the edge to MS, that some were willing to pay any price. They no longer have ammo giving anyone shit about console pricing when they gladly paid the chump tax for an upgrade to a console with NO EXCLUSIVES!

#89 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3236 posts) -

@boxrekt: So Cerny had a hand in Zen 2 and Navi? Y’all giving your boy too much credit. “He designed the CPUs backwards compatibility implementation!!1!1!” Kudos?

#90 Posted by ButDuuude (1345 posts) -

Here’s the original article from wired.com: https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-sony-next-gen-console/amp

#91 Edited by DrLostRib (4970 posts) -

So just supporting 8k output to TVs that support that resolution, not that games will run at 8k resolution

#92 Posted by NfamousLegend (365 posts) -

It's like I pointed out in another thread I made about a month ago. PS5 will come with a 8c16t Zen2 CPU @3.2Ghz, 14tflop Navi graphics engine, 24GB GDDR6 and 4GB DDR4(OS), a SSD faster than any currently available for PC, 200GB Quad-layer BD drive and will sell at $499. The hermits will find it very hard(impossible) to build a system anywhere near this capable at even costs. Oh and TLHBO

#93 Posted by Zero_epyon (13289 posts) -
@drlostrib said:

So just supporting 8k output to TVs that support that resolution, not that games will run at 8k resolution

pretty much. unless they'll support some form of checkerboarding.

#94 Edited by GoldenElementXL (3236 posts) -

@nfamouslegend: Sony’s gonna find it impossible to build something close to those specs at $499 as well. And that power draw is gonna be like triple what a console usually pulls

Some of y’all smoking that strong stuff today

#95 Posted by NfamousLegend (365 posts) -

@goldenelementxl: Sony will be taking a $100+ loss on every system sold. Cerny confirmed much of the leaks today. This will not be Navi lite but based on the more powerful Navi 20.

#96 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18972 posts) -

Hmmm, sounds good... Interesting to see what MS comes up with.

#97 Edited by VERTIGO47 (7104 posts) -

@boxrekt said:
@VERTIGO47 said:

LMFAO

LOL, what? I used my Xbox One X for everything. And quite satisfied since I knew what I was buying. You on the other hand keep crying about the X 24/7 in your REKT mind, but yet to YOU (and most butthurt Cows), it's "redundant". Hmmmmmm.

ALL I said was $599 again, and Quacknut and his thousandth Alt Account decides to go apeshit.

Please, go crawl back to your basement and stay shook Quack......I mean stay REKT.

#98 Posted by BoxRekt (1670 posts) -

@goldenelementxl said:

@boxrekt: So Cerny had a hand in Zen 2 and Navi? Y’all giving your boy too much credit. “He designed the CPUs backwards compatibility implementation!!1!1!” Kudos?

lol Well since you're out of the loop

According to my sources, Navi isn't just inside the Sony PS5; it was created for Sony. The vast majority of AMD and Sony's Navi collaboration took place while Raja Koduri -- Radeon Technologies Group boss and chief architect -- was at AMD.

Koduri joined up with Intel late last year as chief architect for its new Core and Visual Computing Group.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jasonevangelho/2018/06/12/sources-amd-created-navi-for-sonys-playstation-5-vega-suffered/#2ad637ae24fd

FYI: That means AMD was working hand and hand with Sony (I.E. Sony's lead architect Mark Cerny) when designing the Navi and PS5's *custom* Zen CPU.

and

Mark Cerny's BC patent with the CPU design illustrated

https://patentimages.storage.googleapis.com/71/d0/30/764aa2a80362b2/US20170212820A1.pdf

It's kind of hard making a patent for a CPU that you have no idea about isn't it?

But I guess you think Mark just made his design hoping that it would just fit and work with PS5's CPU like a jigsaw puzzle?

anything else?

#99 Posted by Howmakewood (5925 posts) -
@nfamouslegend said:

@goldenelementxl: Sony will be taking a $100+ loss on every system sold. Cerny confirmed much of the leaks today. This will not be Navi lite but based on the more powerful Navi 20.

So it's going to be better than radeon 7 with under half the power draw? Damn did AMD hire Randy for some magic tricks

#100 Posted by Shewgenja (21456 posts) -

@drlostrib: I honestly don't know why people are throwing a fit about that, either. 8K TVs are already out in the wild and people are acting like they are buying a console for it to be 2020 or 2021 forever.

To me, it's rather obvious that they would want to design a console with at least some modicum of 8k compatibility. It leaves the door open for a PS5 Pro down the line and some kind of content pipeline to support it. The alternative would be to launch an entire generation for 8k support and that would shorten the generation unnecessarily and open their golden egg laying goose to risk.