**PS4 Sales Surpass 70.6M units, PSVR over 2M** (Haters am cry)

• 170 results
tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#101 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5882 Posts
@scatteh316 said:
@tdkmillsy said:
@quadknight said:
@tdkmillsy said:

congrats to Sony on sales, but is 3% of install base buying VR really that good?

It is when you consider PSVR is a $400 peripheral. When was the last time a $400 peripheral sold this much?

@Vatusus said:

Best console this gen hands down

I cant name a $400 peripheral to a console besides the PSVR.

Not in to racing games are you......

https://www.fanatec.com/us-en/bundle/product/forza-motorsport-wheel-bundle-for-xbox-one-and-pc.html

lol, not to that extent. That's very much a niche product for people with money to waste. But I guess its there money to waste.

indzman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#102 indzman
Member since 2006 • 27736 Posts

I only hear great and goods news about SONY from OP. OP made my day :)

Lavamelon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#103 Lavamelon
Member since 2016 • 849 Posts

What about PS Move controllers? Don't PSVR games use PS Move controllers?

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

@indzman said:

I only hear great and goods news about SONY from OP. OP made my day :)

:D I'm glad I made your day.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 11084 Posts

@Random_Matt: Right? X1X had that good debut in the UK, but you look at the Amazon charts and it's already out the top 100. They're selling the console at a loss and now they're going to have to discount this one too. This is why people conclude the Xbox division is unprofitable. They spend billions trying to keep the brand from sinking because their pride hurts.

Tigerbalm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#106  Edited By Tigerbalm
Member since 2017 • 1118 Posts

Wonderful news for the industry!

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 SecretPolice  Online
Member since 2007 • 44061 Posts

@stereointegrity said:

@SecretPolice: this would be a whole lot funnier if you didn't use it every few months...

???? Not sure what you're referring to? Perhaps you've mistaken Quack using mah salt shaker gif I use now & then? Dunno.

Either way, my SW entertainment is worth every penny you pay for admission. lolol :)

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@needhealing said:
@lebanese_boy said:

The PS4's sales are pretty impressive but I hate how one-sided this has been against MS. Xbox needs to be more competitive. At least I'm happy to see Nintendo's strong sales which, if they keep it up, can ensure a healthier market and competition and keep bringing us good stuff.

Sony definitely has deserved those numbers for not ****ing up like Xbox at the very start of this gen.

Nah it has been funny trying to see Xdrones trying to defend their inferior console. It's like when you are obese, but are still trying to make yourself think you're skinny.

Your example is in poor taste and I don't spare a thought for pathetic fanboys; I'm just here to enjoy games. The reality, whether fanboys want to agree or not, is that we need all three players to stay in the game in order to keep receiving great products. They need to stay competitive.

ermacness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By ermacness
Member since 2005 • 10613 Posts

@rrjim1:

Well, I can see why someone would say that about the ps4. It's literally the only console where you're getting a share of both worlds. With the x1x, you're getting superior multiplats (console related), but not many exclusives, while on the switch, you're getting really great exclusives, but missing out on the really great multiplats. With the ps4, you're getting both.

Xabiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Xabiss
Member since 2012 • 4749 Posts

Not the news people want to read that want VR to be a success. Like I said yes PSVR is dominating the VR space, but sales are still slow universally which is not good for the VR industry. I am just hoping sales can be enough so we can see newer hardware at this point.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#111 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:
@needhealing said:
@lebanese_boy said:

The PS4's sales are pretty impressive but I hate how one-sided this has been against MS. Xbox needs to be more competitive. At least I'm happy to see Nintendo's strong sales which, if they keep it up, can ensure a healthier market and competition and keep bringing us good stuff.

Sony definitely has deserved those numbers for not ****ing up like Xbox at the very start of this gen.

Nah it has been funny trying to see Xdrones trying to defend their inferior console. It's like when you are obese, but are still trying to make yourself think you're skinny.

Your example is in poor taste and I don't spare a thought for pathetic fanboys; I'm just here to enjoy games. The reality, whether fanboys want to agree or not, is that we need all three players to stay in the game in order to keep receiving great products. They need to stay competitive.

If you see all my forums posts im pretty objetive, far from a fanboy considering I take a nab at all the consoles. I'm being honest. Previous generation drones used to hail exclusives now they have nothing to defend themselves so resort to all kinds of straw grasping it's insane.

Avatar image for blueberry_bandit
Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 Blueberry_Bandit
Member since 2017 • 891 Posts

@FastRobby said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@FastRobby said:

70mil very very nice, that 2mil is laughable though

Not when you're aware of the market. 2 million in 1 year of a brand new medium in it's 1st gen is good.

Not really. PS Move sold 4mil in 2 months, and the market was smaller because PS3 wasn't even at 70mil in 2010. So no, 2 million isn't good at all.

You don't know the market, that's why you think 2 million is bad.

Did any PCs or smartphones sell 2 million in their first year during the first generation? Nope. This is normal for any new tech.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@Xabiss said:

Not the news people want to read that want VR to be a success. Like I said yes PSVR is dominating the VR space, but sales are still slow universally which is not good for the VR industry. I am just hoping sales can be enough so we can see newer hardware at this point.

These same articles were everywhere for smartphones too. The entire media was against smartphones and how it's going to be a failure. They do this with everything.

Either way, sales are on track for Sony, HTC / Valve, and Facebook / Oculus. You never listen to analysts or the media when it comes to sales predictions; they've always been way off.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

And people said it wouldn't sell as well as the PS3. Its gonna surpass the PS3 in 2018 and outsell both the Wii and PS1 by the end of 2019.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

That's amazing, it's close to last gens 80m+ mark. Well done Sony.

Has Xbone got to 30m or 35m yet? lol M$.

Pcmasterrace69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116 Pcmasterrace69
Member since 2017 • 373 Posts

@davillain-: Yup. 1050ti + g4560 and 8gb ram (2x4 ddr4 2133mhz ram) runs all my games no problem.

But its also a fact that my ps4 pro games look better. And if I compare horizon zero down graphics with my pc then its a huge difference. Ps4 pro is a beast and I love it.

I tagged you since you are the first one not bullying me for my 1050ti xD <3

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117 lebanese_boy

@needhealing said:
@lebanese_boy said:
@needhealing said:
@lebanese_boy said:

If you see all my forums posts im pretty objetive, far from a fanboy considering I take a nab at all the consoles. I'm being honest. Previous generation drones used to hail exclusives now they have nothing to defend themselves so resort to all kinds of straw grasping it's insane.

I'm sorry you may have misunderstood me; I wasn't calling you a fanboy, I was just adding a point about fanboys but maybe the way I word my thoughts made it seem like I was calling you one. Fanboys are fanboys and they will cling to whatever makes them feel proud about their purchase.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By lebanese_boy

@blueberry_bandit said:
@Xabiss said:

These same articles were everywhere for smartphones too. The entire media was against smartphones and how it's going to be a failure. They do this with everything.

Either way, sales are on track for Sony, HTC / Valve, and Facebook / Oculus. You never listen to analysts or the media when it comes to sales predictions; they've always been way off.

VR is a niche market, I don't know about the media ever being against smartphones (honestly don't recall a single article saying that) but I do recall the media predicting the death of consoles or conventional gaming in favour of smartphone games. VR may have a future in the next generation (and I kinda hope it does) but until the number of machines capable or running VR flawlessly expands at a rapid rate and until VR is standardized in both technology and setup I just don't see that market ever being big enough that it is considered of great importance and mainstream.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Blueberry_Bandit

@lebanese_boy said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@Xabiss said:

VR is a niche market, I don't know about the media ever being against smartphones (honestly don't recall a single article saying that) but I do recall the media predicting the death of consoles or conventional gaming in favour of smartphone games. VR may have a future in the next generation (and I kinda hope it does) but until the number of machines capable or running VR flawlessly expands at a rapid rate and until VR is standardized in both technology and setup I just don't see that market ever being big enough that it is considered of great importance and mainstream.

VR is currently niche, that's true. But lets look at PCs of the 1st generation. Very niche, very expensive. No one really knew if they would be useful for much. (We all know how vital they are to the world now)

Oculus are releasing a standalone $200 headset (comparable to mobile and easy to setup) in 2018, and another standalone headset in 2019 which is basically a high-end VR device with 2 6DoF motion controllers; the only downside is the lack of desktop processing power.

Once eye-tracking becomes a standard in headsets in 4 or 5 years, VR games and experiences will be easier to run than non-VR games. You won't need a beefy rig anymore. Even low-end systems will be able to run games at a resolution of 4k per eye. Everyone will have a VR capable PC.

Needhealing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#120 Needhealing
Member since 2017 • 2041 Posts

@lebanese_boy said:
@needhealing said:
@lebanese_boy said:
@needhealing said:
@lebanese_boy said:

I'm sorry you may have misunderstood me; I wasn't calling you a fanboy, I was just adding a point about fanboys but maybe the way I word my thoughts made it seem like I was calling you one. Fanboys are fanboys and they will cling to whatever makes them feel proud about their purchase.

Okay. Kisses.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#121 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

Darn.

Was hoping the hate mark in the title said "Haters May Cry 5" to rub more salt that DMC5 probably being exclusive.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 lebanese_boy

@needhealing said:
@lebanese_boy said:
@needhealing said:
@lebanese_boy said:
@needhealing said:

Okay. Kisses.

And no hugs? I'm insulted.

Kruugh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Kruugh
Member since 2017 • 117 Posts

@indzman said:
@davillain- said:
@indzman said:
@davillain- said:

@indzman: Show off!

I don't even got GTX 1080 ti , nor can ever afford one :(

Just because I now have a 1080ti, doesn't mean I look down on everyone who has low tier GPU. You're 1050Ti is a good card for what it does and offers. Hell, I'm considering getting one of those for my Daughter's PC.

I'm nothing before you and its the truth. And you are Humble and kind. ^_^

That's really not the way to think, man!

You should be proud of your rig, since it provides you with the freedom of PC Gaming, power is just a bonus

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

Yawn, can't believe you guys are still pulling this shit.

who honestly give a **** at the end of the day.

Squabbling over who has the better Console.

You could spend the time actually playing games.

quick visit over, back to modding skyrim, have a good Christmas folks whichever machine you game on

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@kruugh said:

That's really not the way to think, man!

You should be proud of your rig, since it provides you with the freedom of PC Gaming, power is just a bonus

Avatar image for deactivated-5a30e101a977c
deactivated-5a30e101a977c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126 deactivated-5a30e101a977c
Member since 2006 • 5970 Posts

@blueberry_bandit said:
@FastRobby said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@FastRobby said:

Not when you're aware of the market. 2 million in 1 year of a brand new medium in it's 1st gen is good.

Not really. PS Move sold 4mil in 2 months, and the market was smaller because PS3 wasn't even at 70mil in 2010. So no, 2 million isn't good at all.

Did any PCs or smartphones sell 2 million in their first year during the first generation? Nope. This is normal for any new tech.

Kinect. Done.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 Blueberry_Bandit

@FastRobby said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@FastRobby said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@FastRobby said:

Kinect. Done.

Kinect is not a new medium of technology so it cannot be compared.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@blueberry_bandit said:
@FastRobby said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@FastRobby said:
@blueberry_bandit said:

Kinect. Done.

Lol, really? If that's the argument then nevermind a discussion. PSVR is completely new, but kinect wasn't...

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@FastRobby said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@FastRobby said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@FastRobby said:

Kinect. Done.

Lol, really? If that's the argument then nevermind a discussion. PSVR is completely new, but kinect wasn't...

VR is in it's 1st consumer generation. Kinect was built upon existing technology and wasn't a big enough change to become a whole new medium.

Technologies in their 1st generation are a little weird. PCs and Smartphones for example were very expensive, and some of the devices only reached 1 million lifetime sales.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

@hrt_rulz01 said:
@xhawk27 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@xhawk27 said:
@Heil68 said:

Sony IS your current gen 8 console leader.

Not in Power it is not!

That doesn't matter to cows anymore... lol.

Except when the PS5 is announced. lol

Oh yeah, power will be the number 1 most important thing once PS5 comes around.

Well to be fair, SONY, current gen 8 console leader, does drive the video game industry, We must wait and see what their technology and world class game development bring us. We can just be glad that they made MS drop Kinect like MS dropped core in 2009 to chase the wii's pot of gold.

Thank you current gen 8 sales leader and current gen 8 AAAAE most recent excluive, SONY.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@Heil68: Lol, your Sony PR-spin makes me want to throw up.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

@blueberry_bandit said:
@Xabiss said:

Not the news people want to read that want VR to be a success. Like I said yes PSVR is dominating the VR space, but sales are still slow universally which is not good for the VR industry. I am just hoping sales can be enough

so we can see newer hardware at this point.

Nobody was saying that about smartphones. VR is a gimmick.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133 UssjTrunks

It's too bad the Switch came out so late or it would already be at over 100M units sold.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By UssjTrunks

@Heil68 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@xhawk27 said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:

That doesn't matter to cows anymore... lol.

Except when the PS5 is announced. lol

Oh yeah, power will be the number 1 most important thing once PS5 comes around.

Well to be fair, SONY, current gen 8 console leader, does drive the video game industry, We must wait and see what their technology and world class game development bring us. We can just be glad that they made MS drop Kinect like MS dropped core in 2009 to chase the wii's pot of gold.

Thank you current gen 8 sales leader and current gen 8 AAAAE most recent excluive, SONY.

All console technology is a joke. All PS4 has are movie games and JRPGs. The console is basically a movie player. Only good titles are HZD and Bloodborne.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@blueberry_bandit said:

VR is in it's 1st consumer generation. Kinect was built upon existing technology and wasn't a big enough change to become a whole new medium.

Technologies in their 1st generation are a little weird. PCs and Smartphones for example were very expensive, and some of the devices only reached 1 million lifetime sales.

PS VR isn't the first one. Oculus already released one in 2013, so I wouldn't even call PSVR part of the first generation

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136 UssjTrunks

@pcmasterrace69 said:

@davillain-: Ps4 pro is a beast

lol

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@UssjTrunks said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@Xabiss said:

Not the news people want to read that want VR to be a success. Like I said yes PSVR is dominating the VR space, but sales are still slow universally which is not good for the VR industry. I am just hoping sales can be enough

so we can see newer hardware at this point.

Nobody was saying that about smartphones. VR is a gimmick.

People actually were saying that in the early days. That's how the media operates; they bash new forms of technology because they don't understand it, and don't want change. Why is it a gimmick in your mind?

@FastRobby said:
@blueberry_bandit said:

PS VR isn't the first one. Oculus already released one in 2013, so I wouldn't even call PSVR part of the first generation

PSVR, Rift, Vive are all generation 1 devices. Their specs and technology are pretty similar. None of them offer a generation leap over the other and all came out in the same year, so they are first generation devices. We won't be seeing 2nd gen headsets until late 2018 or 2019. Sony won't be releasing a PSVR2 until PS5 comes out as it would need to benefit from the increase in power.

Also Oculus in 2013 was just a prototype. The headset first released to consumers in 2016.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#138 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

Sales threads always remind me of this beautiful gem.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#139 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@lavamelon said:

What about PS Move controllers? Don't PSVR games use PS Move controllers?

Not necessarily. I bought PSVR two weeks ago and have yet to buy the move controllers. Most games work with the dualshock 4.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#140 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

@UssjTrunks said:

It's too bad the Switch came out so late or it would already be at over 100M units sold.

Hmmm no. Switch concept is cool, but like the Wii, it will not have long term legs. Not without full third party support, which is something Nintendo doesn't seem to understand these days. It will sell alot for 3 or 4 years, but wont last as much as a PS4 or an Xbox One.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#141 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50556 Posts

@Zero_epyon: never forget.

Halo itself will sell 4m consoles loool

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#142  Edited By Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

@indzman said:
@davillain- said:

@indzman: Show off!

I don't even got GTX 1080 ti , nor can ever afford one :(

Work hard and you can get top of line GPU one day.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@blueberry_bandit said:
@FastRobby said:
@blueberry_bandit said:

PSVR, Rift, Vive are all generation 1 devices. Their specs and technology are pretty similar. None of them offer a generation leap over the other and all came out in the same year, so they are first generation devices. We won't be seeing 2nd gen headsets until late 2018 or 2019. Sony won't be releasing a PSVR2 until PS5 comes out as it would need to benefit from the increase in power.

Also Oculus in 2013 was just a prototype. The headset first released to consumers in 2016.

Lol, so much goal post moving... PSVR, and Kinect are both not first generation, or both first generation. You can't have it both ways because that doesn't make any sense.

Diddies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#144 Diddies
Member since 2007 • 2415 Posts

@kingtito said:
@Xabiss said:

Im sorry I just don't see how 2 million in sales for the PSVR is really that good. You can say what you want to say, but that number is not impressive to me for something that has been on the market for 14 months. Right at 3% of the player base has a PSVR that is not going to make game makers excited enough for the product to make games for it and that could really hurt the PSVR in the long run.

Even though I would never purchase any of the VR that is currently on the market. I do hope the product is successful enough to where we get new hardware being made. I will purchase the product when it is wireless, no SDE, higher resolution, and the product is a lot smaller. I have had the PSVR in my cart many time I just can't make myself purchase it. I really want to wait for 2nd or 3rd generation of VR.

I am rooting for the product only because it will help drive the market to make better VR hardware.

Exactly this. Cows keep touting that "$400 peripheral" bullshit line but all the devs care about is the bottom line, how many sold in total. That 3% is only going to get smaller as the PS4 user base continues to increase as it outsells the PSVR each month.

As long as they sell 3 VRs for every 100 PS4s then it won't get smaller. I don't think you understand this. It will always outsell it but it can actually increase percentage of users that have it with it outselling it.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145 Blueberry_Bandit

@FastRobby said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@FastRobby said:
@blueberry_bandit said:

Lol, so much goal post moving... PSVR, and Kinect are both not first generation, or both first generation. You can't have it both ways because that doesn't make any sense.

I'm not sure what you're getting at. No one is mentioning Kinect here.

PSVR is 1st generation. Kinect has nothing to do with VR tech.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@blueberry_bandit said:

You said that kinect wasn't first generation, so you can't compare the sales. But Kinect IS first generation, or PSVR isn't. They are really the same in their markets.

Point is that PSVR sales aren't good, no matter how much cows try to spin it.

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By Blueberry_Bandit

@FastRobby said:
@blueberry_bandit said:

You said that kinect wasn't first generation, so you can't compare the sales. But Kinect IS first generation, or PSVR isn't. They are really the same in their markets.

The original Kinect was the first generation of Kinect. Not the first generation of the underlying sensor technology. They are not comparable whatsoever, because Kinect's underlying technology existed previously and Kinect itself is not big enough to be considered a new medium of technology.

VR can be considered a new medium because it changes how digital media is consumed in a fundamental way. We're even starting to see the beginning of VR as a new computing platform with things like Oculus Dash. You can be flying inside a cockpit and have a video playing on your dashboard, and forum posts on one of the windows or another game playing on your lap.

You're wrong about PSVR sales. Sony's projections for PSVR sales are being met and exceeded. They are profiting from the hardware, so clearly the sales are doing just fine and nothing you say can disprove this. 2 million sales in just over a year for a first generation of a new medium is good. Most PCs of the 1st generation didn't even hit 1 million lifetime sales. Smartphones in their 1st generation also didn't differ much from VR sales.

The point is, every major form of technology we've ever had has gone through a long transitional period from it's conception to mass adoption. Hardly anything gets adopted by consumers in less than 10 years on the market.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#148 deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

Until VR covers at least 10% of the user base, it's hard to call it a success. PS4 numbers impressive as usual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149 deactivated-5a30e101a977c

@blueberry_bandit said:
@FastRobby said:
@blueberry_bandit said:

The original Kinect was the first generation of Kinect. Not the first generation of the underlying sensor technology. They are not comparable whatsoever, because Kinect's underlying technology existed previously and Kinect itself is not big enough to be considered a new medium of technology.

VR can be considered a new medium because it changes how digital media is consumed in a fundamental way. We're even starting to see the beginning of VR as a new computing platform with things like Oculus Dash. You can be flying inside a cockpit and have a video playing on your dashboard, and forum posts on one of the windows or another game playing on your lap.

You're wrong about PSVR sales. Sony's projections for PSVR sales are being met and exceeded. They are profiting from the hardware, so clearly the sales are doing just fine and nothing you say can disprove this. 2 million sales in just over a year for a first generation of a new medium is good. Most PCs of the 1st generation didn't even hit 1 million lifetime sales. Smartphones in their 1st generation also didn't differ much from VR sales.

The point is, every major form of technology we've ever had has gone through a long transitional period from it's conception to mass adoption. Hardly anything gets adopted by consumers in less than 10 years on the market.

Disagree, but you can have your opinion of course. I don't see PSVR as the first when the development kit of Oculus came out in 2013. So I don't see it as a new medium, and therefor those sales aren't good at all. Sony can now say that the PSVR is doing better than expected, but Microsoft is saying the same thing about Xbox so...

Blueberry_Bandit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150 Blueberry_Bandit

@FastRobby said:
@blueberry_bandit said:
@FastRobby said:
@blueberry_bandit said:

Disagree, but you can have your opinion of course. I don't see PSVR as the first when the development kit of Oculus came out in 2013. So I don't see it as a new medium, and therefor those sales aren't good at all. Sony can now say that the PSVR is doing better than expected, but Microsoft is saying the same thing about Xbox so...

Well everyone working in the VR industry considers PSVR to be a 1st generation headset, so you're kind of disagreeing with everyone else here. Dev Kits have never normally been considered a part of a generation. So clearly it is a new medium starting in it's 1st consumer generation. Let me reiterate that again: consumer generation, meaning available and targeted for consumers.

Remember that before PSVR even launched, Sony were expecting a certain number of sales, and these were exceeded by the market interest, which resulted in a delay of PSVR to manufacture more units. Then they had trouble keeping up with supply for most of the PSVR life time so far.