PS4 owners need to understand what the definition of a MOVIE game is..

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Poll PS4 owners need to understand what the definition of a MOVIE game is.. (30 votes)

Yes, that makes sense. People make it sound more complected when they create artificial requirements. 37%
No. It only applies to Sony games! All other games using cinematics to tell a game's story ala RDR, TW3, Quantum Break, ass creed origins, Gears of War ect are free from that label. 63%

...so you don't become a victim of circular arguments with goal post moving targets.

MOVIE GAME:

"Any game that uses cinematic cut-scenes or in game movies to tell a video game's story to the player."

THAT'S IT!

I see a lot of arguments where people make up rules to fit their platform or personal game or choice using mental gymnastics and spinning tactics to avoid their games getting labeled "movie games" because of the negative stigma it holds.

But all the flip flopping and changing of definitions each argument looks dumb.

It's pretty simple...

Things that DON'T have anything to do with being a "movie game":

• Game length - that would make Super Mario Bros a movie game, FAIL
  • Game genre - cinematics and videos are the ONLY constants for movies.
  • Gameplay type - If you're controlling the action..that's GAMEPLAY.
  • Intro and ending - movies in these sections don't apply in game.
  • Narration through text - If game's story is told through reading.
  • Graphics - I guess PC players would love movie games? #Star Citizen.

Things that MIGHT signify a "movie game" are:

• loosing control of the action for a "movie" to play out in game.
  • Multiple* In game cutscenes that play out longer than 2 or 3 minutes.
  • Attempt to create a cinematic experience NOT using gameplay or text.
  • Using anything other than game engine or still frames for cut-scenes.
  • Cinematic cut-scenes that fall completely outside of game world.
  • Cut-scenes that are not directly tied to gameplay.

If a game includes 3 or more of the above ^ it likely is.

.................................................................................................

That being said,

TRUE Examples of NON-MOVIE games:

1. Tetris
  2. Super Mario Bros NES
  3. Torment tides of Numenera
  4. Oxenfree
  5. Salt and Sanctuary
  6. Journey
  7. Cuphead
  8. Ori and the Blind forest
  9. Darkest Dungeon
  10. Resogun

It's honestly slim pickings outside of indies, but at least you'll be able to tell when the term "movie game" is used vs another game how to handle it.

So yes, PS4 owners, a large amount of your AAA titles are movie games...much like the rest of the industry, only difference is the majority of PS4s are successful.

• 
nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#51 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41529 Posts

Maybe I'm old fashioned, but here's what I think when I hear "movie games":

Loading Video...
Loading Video...
Loading Video...

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Kali-B1rd
Member since 2018 • 2241 Posts
@calvincfb said:

@kali-b1rd: yeah, I'm sure.

Damn that's some great critical thinking, inspiring.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53  Edited By Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

@kali-b1rd: a direct answer to an objective question. I'm not typing a wall of text to prove something that is obvious and everyone knows.

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 Kali-B1rd
@calvincfb said:

@kali-b1rd: a direct question to an objective one. I'm not typing a wall of text to prove something that it's obvious and everyone knows.

In other words you have nothing, I get it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
deactivated-5d1e44cf96229

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#55 deactivated-5d1e44cf96229
Member since 2015 • 2814 Posts
@calvincfb said:

Well, then you are also wrong. I’m a PS4 owner and I’m disappointed over how obsessed Sony has become with movie "games" this generation. The poster that you were replying to is right in that you don’t seem to be able to conceive that there are in fact gamers out there that don’t like these movie "games" that Sony has put so much focus on and are wishing that Sony would offer more variety like they did during the PS1 and PS2 generations.

*Waits for somebody to try to claim that I’m lying about owning a PS4 which always seems to happen whenever I express my disappointment with the PS4 because they just can’t conceive the fact that Sony’s movie "games" are not satisfying all of their customers, so that I can then prove them wrong*

Kali-B1rd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57  Edited By Kali-B1rd
@storm_of_swords said:
@calvincfb said:

Well, then you are also wrong. I’m a PS4 owner and I’m disappointed over how obsessed Sony has become with movie "games" this generation. The poster that you were replying to is right in that you don’t seem to be able to conceive that there are in fact gamers out there that don’t like these movie "games" that Sony has put so much focus on and are wishing that Sony would offer more variety like they did during the PS1 and PS2 generations.

*Waits for somebody to try to claim that I’m lying about owning a PS4 which always seems to happen whenever I express my disappointment with the PS4 because they just can’t conceive the fact that Sony’s movie "games" are not satisfying all of their customers, so that I can then prove them wrong*

Your not alone, far from it.

Only Exclusive I've truly through was "great" was Bloodborne... a purchased re-skin.

Some things like P5 were alright, but available on PS3 and PC (emu).

Uncharted, Horizon and Last Guardian , just felt like I was buying them to justify even having a PS4 Pro .... which is incredibly loud for such a small device... christ.

Most of Sony's games involve shooter mechanics for the most part (all the big ones) which is always an inferior experience when limited to a controller.

There games... just shallow... Horizon, Cows attempt at "buh buh its not just a corridor" is puddle deep in its open world mechanics... mediocre story and characters, what other than "oooo shiny" is there?

Zzzzzz

Sony went from having a wide range of games and excellent Japaneses support... to just morn western 10 hour blockbusters with no depth.

Calvincfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Calvincfb
Member since 2018 • 0 Posts

@storm_of_swords: meltdown wall of text. Lol

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#59 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

lol nyaDC still trying hard I see. Never change...

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

OP is a cow that needs to shift the goal posts in order to damage control for their crappy console.

Movie games are based on:

- The percentage of a game's entire play time that cut scenes comprise.

- How much gameplay a game actually has (QTE and walking along a linear path while your character chats with an NPC are not gameplay).

Sony games are notorious for having 20-30% (or more) of their entire games comprised by these two conditions. It's especially concerning when the games are only a few hours long (Sony games are rarely longer than 10 hours). You're paying $60 for an afternoon or two of a crappy movie.

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

It's really silly for people to now act as if there's some new genre called "movie-game". You could say that some games have a somewhat cinematic style I suppose, and these games have their place like many other kinds of games. Plenty of them are highly acclaimed, but not everyone will like them, like any other games. But to pretend they are basically movies instead of games (or closer to being movies) is maybe the most ridiculous and pathetic thing I've ever seen on this forum. Now I see people are starting to make up their own long-winded definitions for what qualifies as a "movie game", giving conditions, percentages, etc. It's just comical.

Lilseb93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By Lilseb93
Member since 2015 • 392 Posts

The only games that I would consider "movie games" are Telltale games or a David Cage game. That's as close as you can get to a movie with gameplay. Everything else being labeled that is absurd.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 deactivated-5c1d0901c2aec
Member since 2016 • 6762 Posts

I don't really like this 'movie games' label. It doesn't effectively describe many of the games that are considered to fall under it.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@UssjTrunks: The only thing notorious around here are dipshit like you that don't know what "movie" games actually are. It is funny watching you guys loose your shit every other post though, the salt is real with you lol.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#65  Edited By jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

@NoodleFighter: people don't call rts games movie games because none of the gameplay is cinematic. I love rts games, I don't love movie games. I consider games movie games when there is more ephasic on cinmatic sequences and story rather than depth of gameplay. No one cares about the StarCraft cinematics more than the gameplay. Multiplayer focused anyway.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#66 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Maybe you need to understand that your incessant bitching about "movie games" went down the toilet when games made the move to compact disk generations ago.

Fmv and in-game narrative moved gaming forward. Clearly, being a direction the Xbox fanbase hates if the endless BC threads and other points of contention raised by them are anything to go by. **** off.

SW, its serious folks. ;)