PS4 not worth the cost, says Nvidia

• 93 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#1 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

Nvidia passed on its hardware being used in the PlayStation 4 due to the "opportunity cost."

"In the end, you only have so many engineers and so much capability, and if you're going to go off and do chips for Sony or Microsoft, then that's probably a chip that you're not doing for some other portion of your business. And at least in the case of Sony and Nvidia, in terms of PS4, AMD has the business and Nvidia doesn't. We'll see how that plays out from a business perspective I guess. It's clearly not a technology thing."

What do you make of it? truth or trying tio save face against AMD?

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/ps4-not-worth-the-cost-says-nvidia-6405300

#2 Posted by silversix_ (26347 posts) -
Nvidia butthurt like a bwass
#3 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25164 posts) -
Sounds butthurt.
#4 Posted by Eddie-Vedder (7810 posts) -

Nvidia pretty butthurt AMD got the deal it seems. 

#5 Posted by SecretPolice (32936 posts) -

Pfft, cost shmost, it's pedal to da metal day efin one baby. :P

Honestly, I'm so daum curious what the selling price will be for the new consoles - should be very, very interesting especially if there ends up being a fairly big gap between the two.

#6 Posted by faizan_faizan (7869 posts) -
Nvidia butthurt. But i can't argue until i see the price, Maybe it even goes up to $700 :P
#7 Posted by Heil68 (57960 posts) -

Nvidia pretty butthurt AMD got the deal it seems. 

Eddie-Vedder

Pfft, cost shmost, it's pedal to da metal day efin one baby>SecretPolice

Yup.

#8 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

Oh, that's such a horrible excuse! :lol:

#9 Posted by KiZZo1 (3978 posts) -

The_Fox_and_the_Grapes.jpg

^Nvidia

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
#10 Posted by deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd (12449 posts) -
How is this butthurt? this forum -_-
#11 Posted by ImBatman- (1279 posts) -

The Godstation 4 has a habit of making its haters extremely butthurt.

#12 Posted by JamDev (992 posts) -
Well they aren't going to come out and say it was a massive failure on their part, so not sure how much you can really read into the statement. I think AMD's focus on developing powerful, low cost APU's is a good direction for them regardless of the console contracts. I suspect there will be a lot of growth in the HTPC/SFF PC market over the next few years, smaller, cheaper, quieter and more efficient are going to become more important than the pursuit of the high-end enthusiast market.
#13 Posted by getyeryayasout (11627 posts) -
Butthurt and perhaps just a little jelly.
#14 Posted by blackace (23576 posts) -
Don't know. We'll have to wait and see how much the PS4 actually cost when it's released. Having to make special chips just for one hardware can be costly if it can't be used elsewhere as well. Still, this is a business and I can't see why any company wouldn't want to make chips for a game console, especially when they sold over 77 million last gen.
#15 Posted by Badosh (12770 posts) -
Any price. Fvck me Sony.
#16 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -
How is this butthurt? this forum -_-MBirdy88
Because they are obviously making an excuse for not winning out on either of the consoles... :/
#17 Posted by whiskeystrike (12172 posts) -

Considering we don't know the price they may have a point but then again, rival companies and all.

#18 Posted by KiZZo1 (3978 posts) -

Any price. Fvck me Sony. Badosh

Bend over :D

29990720.jpg

#19 Posted by Rocker6 (13358 posts) -

Even though I had great experiences with Nvidia cards, seems someone's a bit mad for not getting a piece of that console market cake! ;)

Sorry Nvidia, but that's not a valid reason to spew crap...

#20 Posted by JohnF111 (14190 posts) -
How is this butthurt? this forum -_-MBirdy88
I think it's because AMD got two contracts for two products supported by two huge corporations aimed at two fo the biggest markets in the industry. Nvidia didn't get a single thing this time around so it's clear they're just damage controlling by saying they aren't worth the cost.
#21 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -
[QUOTE="MBirdy88"]How is this butthurt? this forum -_-JohnF111
I think it's because AMD got two contracts for two products supported by two huge corporations aimed at two fo the biggest markets in the industry. Nvidia didn't get a single thing this time around so it's clear they're just damage controlling by saying they aren't worth the cost.

Or that they're already trying to expand in two markets (HPC and mobile) and don't have the resources to compete for the console business without shorting one of those two strategic priorities.
#22 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11681 posts) -
That actually is a valid point. They only have a limited amount of engineers and Nvidia right now is focusing heavily on their mobile space with Tegra. So Nvidia might actually be smart about it right now. I can see mobile hardware bringing in Nvidia many times more revenue than some chip inside a console (that might not even sell a lot).
#23 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (23475 posts) -

I alternate between ATI/AMD and Nvidia cards. Nvidia needs to redo how its video cards use resources. Every single BSOD I've had since 2002 was with a video card and they're all NVidia. My current PC is no exception. It went through with my HD 5770 without a single hiccup. But, my GTX 560 Ti broke that streak (yet again). I think both Sony and MS may be on to something when they chose AMD.

#24 Posted by ShadowDeathX (11681 posts) -
"I'm sure there was a negotiation that went on," Tony Tamasi, Senior VP of content and technology at Nvidia told GameSpot, "and we came to the conclusion that we didn't want to do the business at the price those guys were willing to pay." ^^^^ Yup. Nvidia is posting profits and has more freedom to choose what it wants to do and what not. AMD is troubled right now so even with the small amount of money Sony is willing to pay, it would have taken it.
#25 Posted by p4s2p0 (4167 posts) -
They got that portable coming out anyway.
Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
#26 Posted by deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd (12449 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]"I'm sure there was a negotiation that went on," Tony Tamasi, Senior VP of content and technology at Nvidia told GameSpot, "and we came to the conclusion that we didn't want to do the business at the price those guys were willing to pay." ^^^^ Yup. Nvidia is posting profits and has more freedom to choose what it wants to do and what not. AMD is troubled right now so even with the small amount of money Sony is willing to pay, it would have taken it.

This was my thoughts. people saying butthurt are idiots.
#27 Posted by KungfuKitten (25184 posts) -

Wow these companies are getting serious this generation. They're all ridiculing each other and throwing dirt.

#28 Posted by FinalFighters (2782 posts) -
Cry Moar, Nividia
#29 Posted by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

:P So much butthurt from Nvidia.

#30 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -
[QUOTE="ShadowDeathX"]"I'm sure there was a negotiation that went on," Tony Tamasi, Senior VP of content and technology at Nvidia told GameSpot, "and we came to the conclusion that we didn't want to do the business at the price those guys were willing to pay." ^^^^ Yup. Nvidia is posting profits and has more freedom to choose what it wants to do and what not. AMD is troubled right now so even with the small amount of money Sony is willing to pay, it would have taken it.

So basically, Nvidia wanted to get in, but they lost out on the bargaining, so they're acting like they never cared for it in he first place. Same thing as what people are laughing at them about. :/
#31 Posted by Wasdie (53510 posts) -

Nvidia didn't want to work for the money that Sony wanted them to work for. AMD did.

Business 101. You hire the lowest bidder. 

AMD has been hurting lately so they probably decided to take the deal as it's pretty much guaranteed revenue for the next 5-7 years. 

#32 Posted by jhcho2 (5013 posts) -

I guess it's pretty understandable for anyone who has been following news on AMD recently.

Basically, AMD was not doing well at all. Staff layoffs, exodus of top management etc. Their CPUs and APUs aren't faring well against Intel. Their GPUs are on par with Nvidia, but not the obvious winner. AMD stepped up and did whatever it took to secure a deal to produce APUs for the ps4 and 720. That's the only way they could have survived.

I was telling myself some time back that if AMD chips don't appear on either of the next generation consoles, they're going down...HARD. At least Nvidia has Tegra which is used on smartphones. AMD had nothing other than retail sales. Now the future for AMD looks a lot brighter.

#33 Posted by RyanShazam (6498 posts) -

What does nvidia know? 

#34 Posted by Mr_BillGates (3210 posts) -

AMD is a bottomfeeder brand. They have always been the go-to brand for the poorer cosumers. Desperate AMD is desperate enough to charge extremely low price for PS4.

:)

#35 Posted by Joedgabe (5134 posts) -

AMD is a bottomfeeder brand. They have always been the go-to brand for the poorer cosumers. Desperate AMD is desperate enough to charge extremely low price for PS4.

Mr_BillGates

AMD's are almost as good as NVidia and their pricing is great i don't see what's the hate? Nvidia are over priced for what it offers. 

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
#36 Posted by deactivated-59b71619573a1 (38222 posts) -

Nvidia didn't want to work for the money that Sony wanted them to work for. AMD did.

Business 101. You hire the lowest bidder. 

AMD has been hurting lately so they probably decided to take the deal as it's pretty much guaranteed revenue for the next 5-7 years. 

Wasdie

Basically yeah, also Nvidia have other things to do like project shield and likely didn't want to put the time and resources into making chips for consoles 

#37 Posted by Mr_BillGates (3210 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"]

Joedgabe

AMD's are almost as good as NVidia and their pricing is great i don't see what's the hate? Nvidia are over priced for what it offers. 

Turrible mobile drivers. nVidia is the only choice for mobile users, especially those with switchable graphics.
#38 Posted by DivineSword (15839 posts) -

Lol Nvidia, I thought you were better than this.

#39 Posted by nervmeister (15378 posts) -

Nvidia passed on its hardware being used in the PlayStation 4 due to the "opportunity cost."

"In the end, you only have so many engineers and so much capability, and if you're going to go off and do chips for Sony or Microsoft, then that's probably a chip that you're not doing for some other portion of your business. And at least in the case of Sony and Nvidia, in terms of PS4, AMD has the business and Nvidia doesn't. We'll see how that plays out from a business perspective I guess. It's clearly not a technology thing."

What do you make of it? truth or trying tio save face against AMD?

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/ps4-not-worth-the-cost-says-nvidia-6405300

seanmcloughlin
Translation: "f**k AMD!" - Nvidia
#40 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (23475 posts) -

Mr_BillGates

I guess that's why the most expensive Mac, the Mac Pro (starting at $2499) has an AMD HD 5770.

#41 Posted by Pray_to_me (4041 posts) -

It wasn't too expensive for the Xbox1 and PS3 though right Nvidia? ;)

#42 Posted by Mr_BillGates (3210 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"]

jun_aka_pekto

I guess that's why the most expensive Mac, the Mac Pro (starting at $2499) has an AMD HD 5770.

Mac Pro is as irrelevant as desktop PC. It's not even updated. iMacs and Macbooks replaced the crappy AMD chips with much more power efficient nVidia variants.
#43 Posted by psymon100 (6835 posts) -

Doesn't seem like anything more than spin to me. 

"Do you want to design this chip for us? Here take my money!"

"No thanks. We're already so busy."

Really? Even in this economy NVIDIA would turn down an opportunity like this?

I would actually be really interested to know - did anyone even ask them if they would do this? You could infer that from the article, sure. But it would be interesting to know for sure. 

#44 Posted by GarGx1 (9830 posts) -

We don't actually know who said 'no' to who. Nvidia may have knocked back Sony's advances if they were wanted the silcon for buttons. Where as AMD are in a bit of financial trouble (not quite on the same scale as Sony's own though) and may have jumped at the chance of producing console chips, even for very little profit, for years to come. After all having work is a hell of a lot better than having no work

#45 Posted by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

[QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"]

jun_aka_pekto

No, actually the top of the line MacBook Pro which I own doesn't use AMD anymore they use Nvidia. :P Nvidia is still butthurt though Edit: Never mind I misread your post. Thought you meant MacBook Pro xD
#46 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (23475 posts) -

[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"]

Mr_BillGates

Mac Pro is as irrelevant as desktop PC. It's not even updated. iMacs and Macbooks replaced the crappy AMD chips with much more power efficient nVidia variants.

Pretty dumb of Apple then to keep the Mac Pro around if it's irrelevant, considering how expensive it is. Look how quick previous versions of OSX lose support and disappear. Apple isn't the type to keep deadweight around taking up space in its site. I don't think Apple considers the Mac Pro irrelevant.  

#47 Posted by spike6958 (6698 posts) -
Nvidia for NextBox confirmed?
#48 Posted by clyde46 (49053 posts) -
Nvidia are chosey. AMD are not.
#49 Posted by clyde46 (49053 posts) -
[QUOTE="jun_aka_pekto"]

[QUOTE="Mr_BillGates"]

Mr_BillGates

Typical Apple drone nonsense. The Mac Pro is the best one of the line up.
#50 Posted by FashionFreak (2326 posts) -

[QUOTE="Badosh"]Any price. Fvck me Sony. KiZZo1

Bend over :D

29990720.jpg

I'm ready

http://www.abload.de/img/kazhirai-audreycleofacouk5.jpg