PS4 hits 91.6 million units sold, Spiderman sells 9 million

• 91 results
Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
#1 Posted by SolidGame_basic (23567 posts) -

https://www.gameinformer.com/2019/01/07/playstation-4-within-reach-of-100-million-sales-over-5-million-sold-this-holiday

100 units here we come!!

Oh, and sorry if old.

#2 Posted by hrt_rulz01 (18138 posts) -

Yep, pretty impressive.

#3 Posted by Pedro (32721 posts) -

LOL at folks who think Sony will release the PS5 this year with numbers like this.😂🤣

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#4 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (3592 posts) -

Spider-Man 2 on LOCK!

#5 Posted by Xabiss (2202 posts) -

PS4 still kicking some ass. Sony did great this gen that is for sure.

#6 Posted by MonsieurX (38487 posts) -

But the bundled up Spiderman during BF!

#7 Edited by watercrack445 (1047 posts) -

End of the year, 100 million units sold.

Also, I thought spiderman sold more than 9 million?

#8 Posted by Mandzilla (2742 posts) -

Well done to Sony, impressive milestone.

#9 Posted by DaVillain- (33768 posts) -

Let's all not forgot the fact Spider-man was also included for free during Black Friday bundle along with a discounted PS4 Pro, so that may have also pushed tons of sales.

Make no mistake, 2018 was the grand year for PS4, it had Detroit: Become Human, God of War, and Marvel's Spider-Man as well. Sony has absolutely destroyed 2018.

#10 Edited by ellos (1819 posts) -

Congrats to Insomniac I don't think they have ever reached such heights. Investor speak ps4 holiday sales are down compare to last year. Bottoming out, its time to bring out ps5 lol.

#11 Edited by getyeryayasout (11990 posts) -

Spider-Man is killing it as a PS4 salesman! I bet the next closest guy at work has only sold like 15-20, tops.

Spidey's a shoe-in for sales person of the month. That $50 gift card is gonna be pretty sweet!

#12 Posted by Archangel3371 (26729 posts) -

Congrats to Sony on those PS4 numbers and to Insomniac for a great game in Spider-Man.

#13 Posted by xantufrog (10362 posts) -

Can't stop this freight train, that's for sure

#14 Posted by Sevenizz (2538 posts) -

The ps4 is still not on my radar of a console I need/want, but good for them. Competition is healthy for ALL gamers.

#15 Posted by BlueIon (92 posts) -

Good Job Sony! I was just taking a break from playing my PS4 when I saw this post...Awesome stuff :).

My PS4 will get a lot of use this month with Tales of Vesperia, RE2 Remake, Kingdom Hearts 3! Not to mention DMC5 in March...Holey wowzers I am hyped! Haha :)

#16 Posted by Gatygun (1323 posts) -

Obviously, 199 bucks for a PS4 + spiderman was basically giving it away for free. Those numbers for spiderman mean nothing at this point.

Avatar image for stereointegrity
#17 Posted by stereointegrity (12134 posts) -

@Gatygun: how ever you want to spin it is cool with me

#18 Posted by lebanese_boy (14978 posts) -

I think Insomniacs is one of the top devs out there, congrats for their well-deserved success with spider-man.

#19 Posted by Shewgenja (20942 posts) -

"Console gaming is dead"

Ahh, simpler times man. lol

#20 Posted by Techhog89 (3352 posts) -

Well, I was gonna make a thread with a poll to guess which console sold the most in 2018, but based on my calculations it's impossible that Switch won with these numbers! Congrats, Sony! The road to 100 million is reaching its end!

#21 Posted by I_P_Daily (9945 posts) -

YIKES!!!! now there's even more breading stations for roaches out in the wild lol

#22 Posted by WhatAFailure (176 posts) -

PS4 this generation:

Xbox One this generation:

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
#23 Posted by BenjaminBanklin (3592 posts) -
@i_p_daily said:

YIKES!!!! now there's even more breading stations for roaches out in the wild lol

Well where else are they supposed to move? There's too much dust in the Xbox Ones.

#24 Posted by The-A-Baum (1233 posts) -

Great another circle jerk thread. When are they sending out the checks?

#25 Edited by Techhog89 (3352 posts) -
@the-a-baum said:

*waits to see what you say in the NPD December thread*

#26 Posted by XVision84 (14772 posts) -

Well deserved ;)

#27 Posted by VFighter (4188 posts) -

@Sevenizz: I honestly don't see how its not on every gamers must have list at this point?

#28 Posted by svaubel (4125 posts) -

Impressive numbers. Well done Sony

#29 Posted by Pedro (32721 posts) -

The salt of select Xbox fannies is delicious. Can you guys be any more salty? These are same people who complain about Sony fannies.

#30 Posted by sakaiXx (4529 posts) -

Did they mention GoW anywhere? Hopefully it does well. Its a Mature game so the demographics is not as large but I hope it sold very well worldwide.

#31 Posted by The-A-Baum (1233 posts) -

@techhog89 said:
@the-a-baum said:

*waits to see what you say in the NPD December thread*

Don't hold your breathe. You will never find me in one of those. yeah insert joke here,. But those are the dumbest things and the gloating makes me want to puke no matter who is doing it.

#32 Posted by Shewgenja (20942 posts) -

@the-a-baum: but this thread is also about a game selling very well. Sense, you make none.

#33 Posted by Chutebox (44103 posts) -

@Pedro: " These are same people who complain about Sony fannies."

Exxxxactly what said!

#34 Posted by Vaidream45 (1543 posts) -

Dayum. Yeah Sony tore it up this gen for sure.

#35 Posted by Daredevils2k (1833 posts) -

Mewanwhile Xbox 1 is sitting at 35 mill

#36 Posted by Buckledant (157 posts) -

@techhog89 said:

Well, I was gonna make a thread with a poll to guess which console sold the most in 2018, but based on my calculations it's impossible that Switch won with these numbers! Congrats, Sony! The road to 100 million is reaching its end!

I would love to see those calculations of yours. Q3 sales for Sony are DOWN compared to the last couple of years. How does that make it "impossible" for the Switch to win exactly?

PS4 Holiday sales:

• Holiday 2013: 4.2m
  • Holiday 2014: 4.1m
  • Holiday 2015: 5.7m
  • Holiday 2016: 6.2m
  • Holiday 2017: 5.9m
  • Holiday 2018: 5.6m
#37 Posted by Sevenizz (2538 posts) -

@vfighter: Quite easily, actually - when you add the negatives. If you’re a fan of online gaming, one of the most beloved FPS’s in the industry (Halo), and a racing fan, the ps4 falls short. In comparison, the ps4 has Killzone, Driveclub, and GT Sport - all of which fall short to Xbox’s offerings in their respective categories. To further explain it, every Halo FPS game is available on the X1 vs Killzone (4?), and 6 high rated Forza games vs the poorly received GT Sport and abysmal Driveclub.

Online wise the ps4 continues to underwhelm with shoddy connectivity, poor monthly plus offering, and until recently - some previous titles removed from the cloud.

#38 Posted by I_P_Daily (9945 posts) -

@BenjaminBanklin said:
@i_p_daily said:

Well where else are they supposed to move? There's too much dust in the Xbox Ones.

Well you can dust of the one & you're good to go, good luck using the PS4 after you roach bomb it lol.

#39 Posted by I_P_Daily (9945 posts) -

@Pedro said:

The salt of select Xbox fannies is delicious. Can you guys be any more salty? These are same people who complain about Sony fannies.

Name names (please let me be one of them) be a man not a mouse.

Also that's rich coming from you lol.

#40 Posted by mowgly1 (1174 posts) -

@daredevils2k:

Naaah. Surely with this holiday Xbone passed 40 mil. I mean, finally. LOL

Also, Xbone fell behind X360 this year in US. ROTW it's the case for 2 years now.

#41 Edited by Subspecies (82 posts) -

Why are lems even in this thread. Dude, you guys are demolished.

#42 Posted by I_P_Daily (9945 posts) -

@Sevenizz said:

@vfighter: Quite easily, actually - when you add the negatives. If you’re a fan of online gaming, one of the most beloved FPS’s in the industry (Halo), and a racing fan, the ps4 falls short. In comparison, the ps4 has Killzone, Driveclub, and GT Sport - all of which fall short to Xbox’s offerings in their respective categories. To further explain it, every Halo FPS game is available on the X1 vs Killzone (4?), and 6 high rated Forza games vs the poorly received GT Sport and abysmal Driveclub.

Online wise the ps4 continues to underwhelm with shoddy connectivity, poor monthly plus offering, and until recently - some previous titles removed from the cloud.

There is no point in putting in logical reasons on SW as to why the PS4 is useless to some people, as for cows they believe if you don't own a PS4 and love its movie games etc then you're not a gamer and all the other dumb stuff they spew.

#43 Posted by Sevenizz (2538 posts) -

@i_p_daily: Well, he doesn’t understand how everyone doesn’t own a ps4 and I gave him my reasons why I don’t.

#44 Edited by ni6htmare01 (3643 posts) -

Great numbers and now please delay the PS5 as I don’t want to upgrade yet lol

#45 Posted by scatteh316 (10074 posts) -

On track to become the fastest selling console to reach 100 million! A record currently held by PS2.

#46 Edited by Techhog89 (3352 posts) -
@Buckledant said:
@techhog89 said:

I would love to see those calculations of yours. Q3 sales for Sony are DOWN compared to the last couple of years. How does that make it "impossible" for the Switch to win exactly?

PS4 Holiday sales:

• Holiday 2013: 4.2m
  • Holiday 2014: 4.1m
  • Holiday 2015: 5.7m
  • Holiday 2016: 6.2m
  • Holiday 2017: 5.9m
  • Holiday 2018: 5.6m

I'm sure that Nintendo won the holidays, but for the whole year it's not realistically possible. Holiday was slightly down but October would have made up the difference, meaning that Nintendo will need to have shipped at least 10.6-11 million units in the quarter to beat them. While I'm sure they came close, there's no way they sold that much.

EDIT: Actually, it's close enough that it might be worthwhile to make the thread anyway. I'll think about it.

EDIT 2: Okay, this is weird. In 2017, they sold 20.2 million units but shipped 19.4 million. That's interesting to say the least. That changes things. It could go either way.

#47 Posted by SecretPolice (34345 posts) -

Firstly, mangy that's a whole lotta buyers remorse going on out there...

Secondly, you're so excited, lead that cheer boy, lead it...

Lol :P

#48 Edited by tormentos (28191 posts) -

@davillain- said:

Let's all not forgot the fact Spider-man was also included for free during Black Friday bundle along with a discounted PS4 Pro, so that may have also pushed tons of sales.

Make no mistake, 2018 was the grand year for PS4, it had Detroit: Become Human, God of War, and Marvel's Spider-Man as well. Sony has absolutely destroyed 2018.

Yes just like Halo forza and gears have been bundles as well and accounted,games bundle with consoles are always accounted on all sides.

@Gatygun said:

Obviously, 199 bucks for a PS4 + spiderman was basically giving it away for free. Those numbers for spiderman mean nothing at this point.

No giving it away was what MS did with the xbox one with ACBF and ACU for $329 + a $50 gift card on holiday 2014 when 8 months before that it was $500 for just an xbox one without games.

I don't know why people do this is not like the xbox one didn't have $199 bundles,this is not new Halo 3 got bundles are all were account last gen,this gen is the same Halo MCC had bundles,Halo 5 had bundles,Forza,Gears you name it and non reach 9 million units.

That is the idea bundling the game so the sales pick up.

@Sevenizz said:

Hahahahaa.........

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/most-played/games/xbox

Even warframe is more played than Halo on xbox live,a game that hit the PS4 before the xbox one,rocket league been play more than Forza again another game that was first on PS4 than on xbox one,halo 5 at spot 29 doesn't even crack the top 20.

https://majornelson.com/2012/01/06/top-games-of-2011/

Just to show you how pathetic and irrelevant Halo,gears and forza have become this gen.

Look at that list that was the most played games of 2011 on xbox 360 as you can see it was the xbox 360 6th year,there is Halo and gears on the top 10,on the top 20 there are 2 halo's,2 Gear's and 1 Forza game.

Look at how pathetic it is now on its 5th year,Halo 5 been beaten by a ton of shitty games and some good ones to.

Do you see which is the most played game? Yeah Fortnite which is also the PS4 top one i think,but that is really FREE to play on PS4 but not on xbox one.

Hiding behind online as some kind of excuse is a joke,fact is most people don't even care about Halo and the numbers don't lie period it had become irrelevant Spiderman outsold Halo 5 without problems in a very short time i may add.lol

#49 Posted by tormentos (28191 posts) -

@i_p_daily said:

There is no point in putting in logical reasons on SW as to why the PS4 is useless to some people, as for cows they believe if you don't own a PS4 and love its movie games etc then you're not a gamer and all the other dumb stuff they spew.

That is logical only to blind lemmings who pretend the PS4 has nothing online to play,meanwhile on the real world Fortnite is the top played game on xbox and PS4 and Halo can't even crack xbox live top 25 and loses to games such as Warframe.

How things have change this gen,who would have thought that mighty and powerful Halo would not even crack the top 20 this gen.

I guess most lemmings who are interested in online play are playing other games which kind of kill the whole ""if you want online you most get and xbox "" crap.

Rocket league more played than Forza..Hahahahahaaa but but but sony has no online games only the xbox does.

@Sevenizz said:

@i_p_daily: Well, he doesn’t understand how everyone doesn’t own a ps4 and I gave him my reasons why I don’t.

You don't own a PS4 because you like shitty games with online play like sea of thieves or state of decay 2 over great games without online play like Spiderman and GOW.

Is not our fault that your taste in games suck.

Meanwhile the PS4 in just 5 years destroyed the fastest and best selling xbox console ever the xbox 360 which which took 11 years to reach 86 millions and the PS4 in less than half the time destroys it..lol

Better luck next gen.

#50 Posted by BlackBalls (1230 posts) -

So, 110, maybe? Nice, third best selling console when all is set and done. Sonydomination.