SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

https://www.gematsu.com/2020/05/nioh-2-sales-top-one-million-version-1-09-update-now-available-dlc-the-tengus-disciple-launches-july-30

It's nice to see this type of game sell a million units in just two months. The Nioh series continues to be a hidden gem, even though it has a sizable fan base. I haven't had a chance to play yet, but I do have my Deluxe version when ready. How about you, SW? Are you a Nioh fan? Have you played Nioh 2 or plan to play it? It will most likely end up on other platforms, and I wouldn't be surprised if it's a next gen launch title. Will probably come to PC as well.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

I played the first one. There's a lot to like about it initially but it got really, really repetitive. Everywhere looks the same and you end up sifting through a megaton of loot that's basically tons of copies of the same items with very slightly different stats which totally kills the 'Souls clone with Diablo loot' idea which I think is their big selling point.

Reviews of 2 say it's the same game but it's a bit harder. Right, not for me then. It amazes me how many Souls clones just don't get that it's not all about the difficulty. Atmosphere, level design, great world maps, clever interwoven lore, this is why people play Souls games it makes me wonder if they even played the friggin games they're ripping off.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

Yeah, liked the first one a lot. Played it on PS4 and later regretted not holding out for the PC version. So I'm just waiting this time, plenty of other stuff to play for now.

Game got lumped in with other Souls likes, in a lot of ways they are directly comparable, but in more ways I think they're really not. Nioh does a lot to set itself apart in systems, structure, and mechanics. In some ways for better, others for worse.

Mechanics though, yeah it mops the Souls games. Way the **** better combat lol. That's the main appeal for me. The combat is good enough to stand alone as an action game. Actually a bit annoying that the game is saddled with loot and rpg shit, doesn't need it, but it's fun enough that I can deal with it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44153 Posts

Haven’t played them myself but the games do look great and given the developer you know the combat is solid. Shame that these games aren’t on the Xbox One as well though. Oh well, I’ll get to them some day hopefully.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

Wow.. that's a lot.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SolidGame_basic

@blueinheaven said:

I played the first one. There's a lot to like about it initially but it got really, really repetitive. Everywhere looks the same and you end up sifting through a megaton of loot that's basically tons of copies of the same items with very slightly different stats which totally kills the 'Souls clone with Diablo loot' idea which I think is their big selling point.

Reviews of 2 say it's the same game but it's a bit harder. Right, not for me then. It amazes me how many Souls clones just don't get that it's not all about the difficulty. Atmosphere, level design, great world maps, clever interwoven lore, this is why people play Souls games it makes me wonder if they even played the friggin games they're ripping off.

Yea the first game didn't have a ton of variety as far as mission structure, enemies and levels, but the combat and the boss battles made up for it. I played the Nioh 2 beta, and I got the feeling that they tried to add more variety to the combat, but not necessarily the structure, levels, etc.

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7702 Posts

Kinda on the same boat with Conan, I played the crap out of the first one, but I might hold out for PC version on 2. The combat is amazing to upset the shitty loot system, I actually enjoy the itemization stuff because you can actually make different builds that play quite different from others and allows different ways to tackle stuff.

with_teeth26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 1

#8 with_teeth26
Member since 2007 • 11511 Posts

Waiting on the pc version myself.

Reports its even harder are concerning though. Never finished the first one cause it started getting too tough and grindy in Act 4

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts

Waiting for the PC version

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#10 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

Hope they add crossplay if it releases on PC. Games like this needs the population.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 38854 Posts

Played a shitload of the original, liked it, but it had a ton of flaws. Played a bit of the sequel on the ps4 and decided to stop n wait for the pc version. But from the little i played, this must be the most samey game i've ever played. Good thing for the combat system sake, but bad for everything else, because it feels like you're just replaying the original 3 years later for an additional $60.

I follow a bunch of people on Twitch that were big into the original, but all of them stopped playing the sequel. This right here should be saying something. In my opinion, this is not how you make a sequel. People say the usual "if its not broken, don't fix it", but reusing assets, enemies, weapons, music, hub, levels, rehashing the same boss 5+ times just like in the original game, is not "if its not broken". This would apply to the not so good design, and feels like they've ignored a ton of feedback the original game has given them.

Still getting it on pc, but lets just say that im not even 1/3rd as excited for the sequel as i was for the original.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46268 Posts

People sure like Dark Souls.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SolidGame_basic

@R4gn4r0k said:

People sure like Dark Souls.

lol, it's "Souls-esque".

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#14 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12948 Posts

Yup, getting the PC version.

tocool340

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#15 tocool340
Member since 2004 • 21652 Posts

Also waiting on the PC version...

@with_teeth26 said:

Never finished the first one cause it started getting too tough and grindy in Act 4

I managed to finish the entire main story (that includes the DLC main story branches), but those side quest missions....*sigh*

I'm sorry, but those end game dual boss battles are not my idea of a good time, especially when said bosses can kill you in 1-2 hits. I manage to complete all but three of those ridiculous missions...

What also bothers me is the synopsis of some those missions where a character that was previously beaten, ask for a rematch to reclaim their honor.....then proceeds to attack you with backup/companions....

iambatman7986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 iambatman7986
Member since 2013 • 4575 Posts

I just started playing the first one and am loving it. I'll definitely check the sequel out.

KazHirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 KazHirai
Member since 2019 • 433 Posts

And people want to say Half-Life Alyx isn't selling well, it's sold more than this in less time.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SolidGame_basic

@kazhirai said:

And people want to say Half-Life Alyx isn't selling well, it's sold more than this in less time.

Do you have a link?

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Great for the developers but was never a fan of these soul type games.

Brutal difficulty and i simply am not willing to put in the time to master the skills with limited time these days.

Avatar image for ___gamemaster__
___gamemaster__

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ___gamemaster__
Member since 2009 • 3347 Posts

played the first one and loved it to death. this sequel however im quite hesistant to play yet. not sure if not playing as william will not be as enjoyful.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ecb2310ef8c3
deactivated-5ecb2310ef8c3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 deactivated-5ecb2310ef8c3
Member since 2020 • 58 Posts

I really enjoyed the first one but the second one felt like the exact same game.

KazHirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 KazHirai

@SolidGame_basic said:
@kazhirai said:

Do you have a link?

https://steamspy.com/app/546560

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#23 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

@kazhirai said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@kazhirai said:

Do you have a link?

Unfortunately steamspy is no longer accurate.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Zidaneski
Member since 2003 • 9266 Posts

Loved the first game. Love this game too. Burst counters and enemy skills are a big welcome addition to the combat. Being able to change your appearance at anytime also I think is one of the best things about the game. The game really isn't as hard as people make it out to be. If you're having trouble with a boss or something you can do some leveling and tweak your loadout to exploit enemy weaknesses more.

KazHirai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 KazHirai

@sakaixx said:
@kazhirai said:
@SolidGame_basic said:
@kazhirai said:

Do you have a link?

Unfortunately steamspy is no longer accurate.

It's accurate to its bottom figure, so it has sold over a million which is verified by the bottom figure being reached.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hardwenzen

@Zidaneski said:

Loved the first game. Love this game too. Burst counters and enemy skills are a big welcome addition to the combat. Being able to change your appearance at anytime also I think is one of the best things about the game. The game really isn't as hard as people make it out to be. If you're having trouble with a boss or something you can do some leveling and tweak your loadout to exploit enemy weaknesses more.

Some burst counters doesn't warrant a sequel, its something that could've been done in an expansion or even a small dlc. Appearance change was the most requested thing before Nioh 1 was even released. It should've been in the original game to begin with. Nioh 2 doesn't bring anything to the table. Its like going from MADDEN 2020 to MADDEN 2021.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Zidaneski

@hardwenzen: I agree it’s really similar, I love the first game so the second one is just more of what I want. The first one even has more end game content of course but I’d rather play the second one and hope it gets as much content. There’s also the enemy skills which I enjoy doing as well.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 hardwenzen

@Zidaneski said:

@hardwenzen: I agree it’s really similar, I love the first game so the second one is just more of what I want. The first one even has more end game content of course but I’d rather play the second one and hope it gets as much content. There’s also the enemy skills which I enjoy doing as well.

Imagine they left the excellent combat system of the original while changing everything that was bad in the original. Things such as the story, graphics (engine), added a proper amount of new weapons instead of like what? 2 new ones???, gave a proper endgame, stopped reusing the same boss 100 times throughout the game, stopped reusing the same levels that beggin from every corner of the level, stop reusing Nioh1 levels, add all new enemies like what Fromsoft does with every Souls entry, etc. But this is too much asking for a company that was published by Kei Tecmo.

Zidaneski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Zidaneski

@hardwenzen: I enjoyed the story more in this iteration but yes I'm aware of what things could have been done. Amongst my friends I'm very quick to point out it's flaws. Almost every old standard enemy from the first they put in the second is what I'd knock it the most for.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

That's cool. I think it's pretty ok, but generally overrated, mostly for how repetitive the environments can get. I look forward to hearing more about Elden Ring, and this will hold me over in the meantime.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

wow....

a whole million??!!! jesus

are you sure it wasnt 3/4 of one?

congrats to koei tecmo