PS4 "50% more powerful myth" Clarified by Same Dev

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

kbanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By kbanna
Member since 2011 • 741 Posts

I found this interesting....seems the same developer who started this rumor came back to Neogaf to correct this misinformation. He was making reference to Development Time...not hardware power at all. Sorry if old.

From Neogaf http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=80542977#post80542977 :

"I think Adrian should jump into the conversation. He does it all the time in his blogs.

Here I am. So...

1. I am not doing a damage control, but I do want to clarify one thing. But first, yes, devs I know -- and as someone has shown it before in this thread, some other devs already talked about it too -- claim that there's 50% speed difference WHEN DEVELOPING in cross-gen/next-gen PS4/XO games. So there we are, I said it and I stand by it. Notice: WHEN DEVELOPING. It'll become clear in a second."

More and more lies being cleaned up.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60705 Posts

Well we all know the PS4 is the worlds most powerful video game console to have ever been created in the history of video games. By golly that's good enough for me and thus SDC. Thank you SONY. By gamers, FOR gamers. the SONY way.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Clear as mud

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50548 Posts

How does this debunk anything?

kbanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By kbanna

@Heil68 said:

Well we all know the PS4 is the worlds most powerful video game console to have ever been created in the history of video games. By golly that's good enough for me and thus SDC. Thank you SONY. By gamers, FOR gamers. the SONY way.

At this point you wont get an argument from me. Though you sound like a zealot....the question is how much more powerful.

I wonder when both systems are running games at 1080p 60fps regularly, if we will see the difference manifest it self in any other meaningful way

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

So, it's 50% better to develop for? Bah, all this dick-waving and all I know is that inFamous uses Ryse as it's personal meat locker. Whatevs.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Heil68

@kbanna said:

@Heil68 said:

At this point you wont get an argument from me. Though you sound like a zealot....the question is how much more powerful.

I wonder when both systems are running games at 1080p 60fps regularly, if we will see the difference manifest it self in any other meaningful way

Doesn't matter, SONY has the edge hardware wise..FACT

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 lostrib

@kbanna said:

@Heil68 said:

those will be some fugly games

lglz1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By lglz1337
Member since 2013 • 4959 Posts

LMAO lemmings still trying

kbanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kbanna

@Chutebox said:

Read the entire post. This Developer was the one who started the whole "50% more powerful" rumor to begin with. You Sony fans were using this information for months without knowing what he meant. He came back to clarify recently

kbanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 kbanna

@Shewgenja said:

So, it's 50% better to develop for? Bah, all this dick-waving and all I know is that inFamous uses Ryse as it's personal meat locker. Whatevs.

Its 50% faster to get a multiplatform game up and running on the ps4 then the X1

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 lostrib
@kbanna said:

@Chutebox said:

Read the entire post. This Developer was the one who started the whole "50% more powerful" rumor to begin with. You Sony fans were using this information for months without knowing what he meant. He came back to clarify recently

Recently? that post is from September 2013

TheShensolidus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheShensolidus
Member since 2013 • 224 Posts

This post was made in September.... and yet, you're reviving it now why exactly? You do realize that we have seen the surface level technical differences in power on demonstration in various pieces of software for months now?

Why do you care about power so much? If you're a fan of the Xbox One, you're getting fun games to play! So you don't have the strongest console on the market, who the hell cares.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Sometimes your posts make me want to puke lol

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Heil68

@chikenfriedrice said:

@Heil68 said:

Sometimes your posts make me want to puke lol

For stating the TRUTH????? Well I guess patriots for truth and justice get that sometimes.

kbanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 kbanna

@theshensolidus said:

This post was made in September.... and yet, you're reviving it now why exactly? You do realize that we have seen the surface level technical differences in power on demonstration in various pieces of software for months now?

Why do you care about power so much? If you're a fan of the Xbox One, you're getting fun games to play! So you don't have the strongest console on the market, who the hell cares.

First, I don't have an xbox and don't care about "power so much". Are you crazy? You Sony fans have been bragging about a 50% power difference since the launch of these systems. And you have been using this guy's quote as the ammo for those claims

Don't come now acting like MS fans are the ones who care about power...that's bullshit and you know it. Second the surface technical differences are not manifesting a 50% power difference at all, and Third, I found it interesting that if this info has been "out there since Sept" as you claim, that no one went back to clarify his statements and it was left out there as fact and fodder

misterpmedia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By misterpmedia
Member since 2013 • 6209 Posts

lmfao so much epic damage control

SaphathoraelJunior Member(09-08-2013, 01:05 AM)

Check the damn date for this LOL

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

lems still trying to damage control and spin the fact that xbone is weaker than ps4? LOL

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

I think with infamous this became a much more realistic prospect.

Open world and the best looking next gen game. B-B-B-but corridors and sub 1080p.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Shewgenja

@Heil68 said:

Thank you Based Cerny. Thank you Based Kaz. Thank you Based Yoshida. Thank you based AMD. The Live, Love and Learn philosophy bringing the best possible gaming experience to consoles. The Sony Way. The Gamers Way. Giving developers %50 more time to create %50 more game.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#21 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

We've seen the spec sheets. The PS4 has more compute units and transistors than the Xbox One. So it physically has more power. I never believed that whole 50% garbage. As we all know diminishing returns hits kind of hard at this point.

From what we've seen so far with multiplats the PS4 is both easier to work with an noticeably more powerful, but that degree of difference does change from game to game. It's hard to tell exactly how much more powerful the PS4 is than the Xbox One. Both consoles are pretty capeable machines able to do some pretty impressive graphics, the differences between the two are going to become more subtle through time as rendering techniques improve and the console's API and game engines mature.

kbanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By kbanna

@lostrib said:
@kbanna said:

@Chutebox said:

Recently? that post is from September 2013

I stand corrected. Still does not seem like it was retracted or has sunk in that the power diff is not what it was alluded to, By this Dev's original statement,

I have literally seen 20 to 30 articles talking about that 50% diff all quoting this guys original article. I have not seen one that came back and clarified his "follow up explanation" Have you??

AM-Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 AM-Gamer
Member since 2012 • 8116 Posts

@lostrib: Ground Zeros looks outstanding.

NFJSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By NFJSupreme
Member since 2005 • 6605 Posts

Doesn't debunk anything. It just makes what he was trying to say unclear.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By lostrib

@AM-Gamer said:

@lostrib: Ground Zeros looks outstanding.

cool story bro

tyloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By tyloss
Member since 2012 • 846 Posts

Doesn't debunk anything, article is also half a year old before consoles were even out, and the games suggest otherwise.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Chutebox  Online
Member since 2007 • 50548 Posts

@kbanna said:

@Chutebox said:

The % power difference comes from the actual physical specs of each console.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#28 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11245 Posts

@Wasdie said:

We've seen the spec sheets. The PS4 has more compute units and transistors than the Xbox One. So it physically has more power. I never believed that whole 50% garbage. As we all know diminishing returns hits kind of hard at this point.

From what we've seen so far with multiplats the PS4 is both easier to work with an noticeably more powerful, but that degree of difference does change from game to game. It's hard to tell exactly how much more powerful the PS4 is than the Xbox One. Both consoles are pretty capeable machines able to do some pretty impressive graphics, the differences between the two are going to become more subtle through time as rendering techniques improve and the console's API and game engines mature.

Well its not called the law of diminishing returns for nothing, it applies to everything.

Avatar image for CrownKingArthur
CrownKingArthur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 CrownKingArthur
Member since 2013 • 5262 Posts

i was hoping to get 50% more educated on the topic

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Looking at Titanfall, its fps and resolution, Xbone may be even less powerful than we ever thought.

Solid_Max13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 Solid_Max13
Member since 2006 • 3596 Posts

@Wasdie said:

This ^

kbanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 kbanna

@tyloss said:

Doesn't debunk anything, article is also half a year old before consoles were even out, and the games suggest otherwise.

So games suggest 50% more powerful??

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

Not even the dumbest Sony Fanboy actually thought that the PauperStation4 had %50 more power....................

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shewgenja

I wonder if this is why Call of Duty is switching to PS4 as its lead platform in development?

kbanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 kbanna

@Shewgenja said:

I wonder if this is why Call of Duty is switching to PS4 as its lead platform in development?

As quoted by yet another Neogaf "Insider"??

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

Possibly. I think the guys left at IW are also a bit miffed MS paid Respawn so much for TitanFall... a little stepchild syndrome.

Avatar image for HaloinventedFPS
HaloinventedFPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HaloinventedFPS
Member since 2010 • 4738 Posts

Ryse looks better than Infamous & Killzone, so...

NoTrolling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 NoTrolling
Member since 2014 • 97 Posts

@HaloinventedFPS said:

RYSE looks like ti can be run on the PS3 with a slight resolution downgrade.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@Wasdie said:

Yep, as much as we'd like to think, hardware isn't exactly linear when it translates to performance.

tyloss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tyloss
Member since 2012 • 846 Posts

@kbanna: when some games have a 100% resolution difference and or a 100%fps difference Id say, yeah.

kbanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 kbanna

@HaloinventedFPS said:

Or at least AS good. The point is, if this machine was indeed 50% more powerful we would not be seeing 900p vs 1080p , or 60fps vs unsteady 60fps, we would be seeing 900p vs 4K or some other ungodly resolution.

Matter of fact x1 already has games at 1080p , 60fps, so unless the ps4 is gonna start producing 4k games at 120fps, this whole argument is pretty stupid to begin with

slim70

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 slim70
Member since 2005 • 768 Posts

@Heil68 said:

Do you get paid by the hour or by the comment? And btw, "Thank you SONY. By gamers, FOR gamers. the SONY way" absolutely hilarious! At least tormentos puts more effort into it.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Adrian Chmielarz? He's a long-known Sony fanboy.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 lostrib

@notrolling said:

@HaloinventedFPS said:

RYSE looks like ti can be run on the PS3 with a slight resolution downgrade.

you might need glasses

Avatar image for slimdogmilionar
slimdogmilionar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By slimdogmilionar
Member since 2014 • 1343 Posts

When I read this type of stuff I automatically "facepalm" as an xbox owner its sad to see this is what it's come down to. PS4 specs are in stone. Unless M$ is holding back info so is xb1. IMO the only way at this point to get somewhat parity between the two in gaming would be in a scenario when the PS4 can't use the spare power for rendering and it would need to use those spare cu's for GPGPU, but even that's not guaranteed. M$ is gonna have to work closely with amd and come up with some pretty clever developing tricks, but that's their m.o. I guess. PS4 may take a hit though when features get added that need to continuously run in the background and stuff like that. All that said the graphics difference is still negligible unless you actually look for it.

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 XboxStache
Member since 2013 • 1530 Posts

I'm so sick of articles or topics like this.

PS4 will obviously have the edge with multiplats because it's much easier to program for, while the X1 will eventually catch up and be on par because it's not as easy to program for. Still, in terms of raw horsepower, we're not going to get a good idea of what either console is capable of until a year or so down the line; or at least with exclusives. (RYSE and KZSF)

Microsoft's problem is that they once again rushed a console launch to compete with a competitor that was clearly beaten last gen.

kbanna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 kbanna

@@

@slimdogmilionar said:

When I read this type of stuff I automatically "facepalm" as an xbox owner its sad to see this is what it's come down to. PS4 specs are in stone. Unless M$ is holding back info so is xb1. IMO the only way at this point to get somewhat parity between the two in gaming would be in a scenario when the PS4 can't use the spare power for rendering and it would need to use those spare cu's for GPGPU, but even that's not guaranteed. M$ is gonna have to work closely with amd and come up with some pretty clever developing tricks, but that's their m.o. I guess. PS4 may take a hit though when features get added that need to continuously run in the background and stuff like that.

Again, no one is trying to claim that the x1 is as powerful as the ps4. But there is misinformation out there as well. Is the PS4 50% more powerful? Is it 5% to 10%?? That is the point.

The basis for this 50% claim came from this developer and was quoted online for MONTHS. The same dev came back and stated that it was NOT 50% MORE "powerful" he was claiming but 50% less development time.

This is significant. Im not gonna join the idiots claiming "secrete sauce" ether, but I have yet to see with my own eyes a 50% power diff in these machines, and if its a inconsequential power difference (10% etc) in realtity, then there has been a huge exaggeration that needs to be corrected by the same press that damned MS using this guys quote as its main fodder.

And even though each's specs are in stone are you seeing a huge diff as an "xbox owner"?? Does any game to you look sig better then Ryse?? Specs are one thing but graphics in games that actually exist is another.

XboxStache

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 XboxStache
Member since 2013 • 1530 Posts

@kbanna said:

@@

@slimdogmilionar said:

When I read this type of stuff I automatically "facepalm" as an xbox owner its sad to see this is what it's come down to. PS4 specs are in stone. Unless M$ is holding back info so is xb1. IMO the only way at this point to get somewhat parity between the two in gaming would be in a scenario when the PS4 can't use the spare power for rendering and it would need to use those spare cu's for GPGPU, but even that's not guaranteed. M$ is gonna have to work closely with amd and come up with some pretty clever developing tricks, but that's their m.o. I guess. PS4 may take a hit though when features get added that need to continuously run in the background and stuff like that.

Again, no one is trying to claim that the x1 is as powerful as the ps4. But there is misinformation out there as well. Is the PS4 50% more powerful? Is it 5% to 10%?? That is the point.

The basis for this 50% claim came from this developer and was quoted online for MONTHS. The same dev came back and stated that it was NOT 50% MORE "powerful" he was claiming but 50% less development time.

This is significant. Im not gonna join the idiots claiming "secrete sauce" ether, but I have yet to see with my own eyes a 50% power diff in these machines, and if its a inconsequential power difference (10% etc) in realtity, then there has been a huge exaggeration that needs to be corrected by the same press that damned MS using this guys quote as its main fodder.

And even though each's specs are in stone are you seeing a huge diff as an "xbox owner"?? Does any game to you look sig better then Ryse?? Specs are one thing but graphics in games that actually exist is another.

Cows were trolling big time with the 50 percent claim. In that case, the X1 would literally be identical to the 360 in power.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

He also said THE ONE has big surprises coming.