PS3 without bluray?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts
This may be old but when I saw it I fell of my chair so here it goes. On a polish new site I just read the best prediction by any person to ever analyze the market..god I love analysts. The story is that to cut the price of PS3 by $100 and thus raise its popularity and sales potential Sony will replace in new PS3 the blu ray drive with the standard DVD and begin to release games on both formats. This is probobly the most insane thing I have ever read. Who pays these people. How could a console thats been out for a while completely change the format making half of the games out there incompatible with older ps3s. Then again if this does happen that may be a sign that Sony is in trouble, but thats also not likely.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

A PS3 without Blu-Ray? I guess they would put the Backwards Compatibility back in!

I have a feeling this article was written to draw attention, or maybe the writers believe themselves...

This is so bogus, because if we really think about it, it won't happen.

Like or not, Sony is committed to Blu-Ray on PS3, think about it this way.

Customer X buys this PS3 without a Blu-Ray Disc Player, now all these games on the shelf, Customer X cannot buy.

Furthermore, there are Devs taking advantage of the extra space, since BLU is mandatory, and those games wouldn't be downgraded to fit on DVD.

IT would just be a complete nightmare, that's why this is funny.

EDIT : Oh SNAP, the TC is right, SONY IS DOING THIS. Here's proof, and this new PS3 looks pretty pimpin'!

This is from Hab, another poster :

is this the new ps3 now ? :|

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 danjammer69
Member since 2004 • 4331 Posts

Sorry, but this cannot happen.

Sony uses Blu Ray discs for all of their disc based games, not DVD-9. They are NOT going to change this.

Blue-Sky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 Blue-Sky
Member since 2005 • 10381 Posts
Terrible and blatantly wrong analysis from whoever made that.
Avatar image for ColoradoKindBud
ColoradoKindBud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 ColoradoKindBud
Member since 2005 • 23882 Posts
What's even more shocking is that some people will actually believe this.
zarshack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 149

#6 zarshack
Member since 2009 • 9936 Posts
a PS3 that cant play PS3 games you say. GOOD ONE!
McdonaIdsGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 McdonaIdsGuy
Member since 2008 • 3046 Posts
That won't really make sense at all..BR was the main Trojan Horse Sony put on the PS3...
jimbojones_sw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 jimbojones_sw
Member since 2009 • 586 Posts
PS3 without bluray would be a lot better since bluray is filled with fail
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
If they do HDD installs, DVD-retail/DD and re-release all the old games on both DVD-retail and DD then I could see it working. If it could cut costs, I'd be all for it.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#10 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
Would be fun to own a PS3 that can't play games
Sword-Demon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sword-Demon
Member since 2008 • 7007 Posts
umm... how would it be able to play bigger games like MGS4? dvd cant hold that much. and furthurmore, it would hold back the ps3's potential by not allowing larger games to be made
Avatar image for stereointegrity
stereointegrity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 stereointegrity
Member since 2007 • 12151 Posts
If they do HDD installs, DVD-retail/DD and re-release all the old games on both DVD-retail and DD then I could see it working. If it could cut costs, I'd be all for it.foxhound_fox
shoot they better ship them with a 1TB HDD
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#14 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts
Wii games are on DVDs and it can't play DVD movies. A PS3 without blu ray movie playback is possible and might have a very good starting price, but I doubt Sony would do that though.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 SolidTy

Wii games are on DVDs and it can't play DVD movies.one_on_one

Yeah, I wonder why Nintendo never released that, it was part of the plan. M$ did it last gen, have the users pay for the royalties with the purchase.

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 danjammer69
PS3 without bluray would be a lot better since bluray is filled with failjimbojones_sw
Oh yeah huh? Even though it won the format war and is now the only disc based HD format supported? Or is it the great sales that Blu Ray is now enjoying? Come on man. While I respect your...opinion, it really accomplishes nothing if you cannot back up your claims, or at least attempt to. C'mon Jimbo, humour us and give us a few reasons...or maybe even one.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
shoot they better ship them with a 1TB HDDstereointegrity

Considering that a 3.5" 1TB SATA drive costs $100... I doubt it wouldn't be much trouble. And really, they would only need to ship it with a 250GB and give people an option to upgrade if they need it. At 20GB a game, that's still 12.5 games... and you don't need to always have them installed at once.
one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#18 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts

[QUOTE="one_on_one"]Wii games are on DVDs and it can't play DVD movies.SolidTy

Yeah, I wonder why Nintendo never released that, it was part of the plan. M$ did it last gen, have the users pay for the royalties with the purchase.

I wonder too but I'll never know why these companies do what they do and their motives unless I'm employed in their company. And when you say M$ did it last gen, you're talking about being able to play DVD movies and users had to pay for the purchase? If so, that's exactly what Sony did this gen with blu ray.

PBSnipes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PBSnipes
Member since 2007 • 14621 Posts
The sheer bat**** insanity of the idea (ie a DD-only console, since there's no way Sony is going back to DVD-9s) makes me believe there's something to it. Sony needs to lower the PS3's price by any means necessary, and only Sony could come up with a "budget model" that all but requires a fast (and therefore expensive) internet connection.
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MoonMarvel
Member since 2008 • 8249 Posts
What's even more shocking is that some people will actually believe this.ColoradoKindBud
I know, Blu Ray is here to stay and Sony won't ditch it. Why get rid of something that will only help sales as HDTV's grow?
MoonMarvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MoonMarvel
Member since 2008 • 8249 Posts
Wii games are on DVDs and it can't play DVD movies. A PS3 without blu ray movie playback is possible and might have a very good starting price, but I doubt Sony would do that though.one_on_one
No they are not. Wii games are on an Optical Disc not a DVD.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SolidTy
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

Yeah, I wonder why Nintendo never released that, it was part of the plan.M$ did it last gen, have the users pay for the royalties with the purchase.

one_on_one

I wonder too but I'll never know why these companies do what they do and their motives unless I'm employed in their company. And when you say M$ did it last gen, you're talking about being able to play DVD movies and users had to pay for the purchase? If so, that's exactly what Sony did this gen with blu ray.

Well, actually Sony did that with the PS2(DVD)...and I guess the PSOne(CD playback) as well. What I was saying is sell the royalties seperately, like M$. Sony included it in the price last gen and this gen. (Dreamcast $150, Gamecube was $200, but PS2 was $300).

danjammer69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 danjammer69
The sheer bat**** insanity of the idea (ie a DD-only console, since there's no way Sony is going back to DVD-9s) makes me believe there's something to it. Sony needs to lower the PS3's price by any means necessary, and only Sony could come up with a "budget model" that all but requires a fast (and therefore expensive) internet connection.PBSnipes
There is nothing to it at all. Sony is NOT going to make a new PS3 sku that is not PS3 compatible. People who would buy one could not play any of the games that have so far been released on disc.
Insurrection4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Insurrection4
Member since 2007 • 197 Posts

Whatever analyst that came up with this crazy idea of PS3s without Blu-Ray must be completely off his rocker. Any real analyst would know that PS3 games are all Blu Ray disks. Removing Blu Ray capabilities from the PS3 would be like removing the "P" from PJs (anyone want a pair of jamas? :D).

[QUOTE="jimbojones_sw"]PS3 without bluray would be a lot better since bluray is filled with failPSdual_wielder

And your ignorance is win!!!

Hey, you know what they say about ignorance.

NinjaMunkey01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#25 NinjaMunkey01
Member since 2007 • 7485 Posts

Thats completely stupid.

If sony wre to do that (which they wont, theyre not stupid) the ps3 would very quickly be killed off, playstation would cease to exist and from the losses sony qwould slowly wither and die...

hyperkass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hyperkass
Member since 2009 • 938 Posts
haha. god that would scar the face of sony if they did that, more than virtual boy did for nintendo.
stevencompton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#27 stevencompton
Member since 2003 • 1461 Posts

SolidTy

You do realise that is the new Japanese PS2 with the internal power brick (just with a quick photoshopped PS3 logo) don't you? This thread is a joke.

Prof_Aspen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Prof_Aspen
Member since 2005 • 37 Posts

[QUOTE="one_on_one"]Wii games are on DVDs and it can't play DVD movies. A PS3 without blu ray movie playback is possible and might have a very good starting price, but I doubt Sony would do that though.MoonMarvel
No they are not. Wii games are on an Optical Disc not a DVD.

If some can change the wii software around without affecting the hardware at all to play DVDs with a wii, it would have been easy for Nintendo to do the same and allow DVDs on the Wii.

Nintendo did not allow DVDs on purpose, they know they are a games company and have always stuck to that bottomline. Wii games themselves are on optical disc, yes, but the wii as a system can easily play DVDs if Nintendo wanted it to.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SolidTy
[QUOTE="SolidTy"]

stevencompton

You do realise that is the new Japanese PS2 with the internal power brick (just with a quick photoshopped PS3 logo) don't you? This thread is a joke.

You do realize that post is a joke, right?

killerfist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#30 killerfist
Member since 2005 • 20155 Posts
Lol how the hell coud they even do that? Release 2 seperate versions of a game? One on BluRay and the other on DVD?
stevencompton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#31 stevencompton
Member since 2003 • 1461 Posts
[QUOTE="stevencompton"][QUOTE="SolidTy"]

SolidTy

You do realize that post is a joke, right?

I was hoping it was, but I didn't want to see people run with it.

KingAsmodai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 KingAsmodai
Member since 2009 • 106 Posts
MGS4 was 32gb as far as I recall. That's 4 dvd9s. Good one TC :P Also, that pic in the 2nd post is a PS2 Slim with a poor photoshoped PS2 sign on it. Meaning EPIC FAILURE.
ggaw21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ggaw21
Member since 2003 • 25 Posts
This old news and just rumers.....But if they did make Dvd only Ps 3. I belive the those with Bluray could use Both Formats. Seeing How we can still Use Dvds. And play Dvds. And how 2006 ps 3 could still use Ps 2 games that are still Dvds......But Games wont be has good. And it May hurt in long run
swazidoughman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

#34 swazidoughman
Member since 2008 • 3520 Posts

MGS4 was 32gb as far as I recall. That's 4 dvd9s. Good one TC :P Also, that pic in the 2nd post is a PS2 Slim with a poor photoshoped PS2 sign on it. Meaning EPIC FAILURE.KingAsmodai

Compress the sound and watch that size shrink :)

El-Visitante

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 El-Visitante
Member since 2007 • 1137 Posts
Wouldn't that defeat the age old SW debate about how blu-ray is or isn't necessary? What would they do about the 50 GB games? Cows would have to stop criticizing the use of multiple disks because, that would be necessary. And those talking about dd, would you really want to download 25-30 gb games onto your ps3, I certainly wouldn't as 40 is hardly a lot and I only have 3 games installed. This would be a mess and could potentially go down as the biggest failure in gaming history. Good thing it'll never happen:)
djsifer01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 djsifer01
Member since 2005 • 7238 Posts
This is never going to happen quit creating these BULL---- threads.
xxyetixx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 xxyetixx
Member since 2004 • 3041 Posts
It would make the PS3 about $75 cheaper and I'd probably get one. It's a feature I wouldn't use and I don't want to pay for I also don't need the built in wifi. Take those out and lower the price of the PS3 $100 I would get one. Make all the games that are available for the PS3 now downloadable, and start making games on DVD 9 with installs which the PS3 already has, and with the ability to install what ever HDD you want size doesn't really matter.
iam2green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 iam2green
Member since 2007 • 13991 Posts
i hope that is not true as Sony has pushed the blue ray hard to get it to win. sony would have to waist a lot of money in order to get every PlayStation 3 game to be on DVDs. i do believe that most of the people that wanted a PlayStation has already gotten one.

blue ray wasn't really needed it just gets movies in HD. some 360 games look better then a ps3 game that has like 40gigs worth of stuff on the disc. everything is just compressed on the 360 while playstion is just uncompressed things.