PS3 GTA IV keeps freezing what should I do? [FIXED]

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by WhyuStillAlive (607 posts) -

I have a 60GB PS3 and I just bought GTA IV last week but it keeps freezing. I use to have an xbox 360 elite but sold it but as of right now I am looking to sell all my multiplat ps3 games and buy a 360 again.

multiplat games: paradise, r6v, oblivion + shivering, dmc4, COD4, nba 2k8, GTA IV

I like all my ps3 exclusive: folklore, motorstorm, r&c, uncharted, GT5P, Warhawk

Does the GTA IV 360 version have the same freezing problems as the PS3. does the game look better on the xbox 360. I don't mind paying for an xbox 360 but I think it's retarded that you have to pay for online.

#2 Posted by Sliverwarrior (928 posts) -

If the game keeps freezing at the same exact spot, it might be your CD.

If not, your ps3 needs a repair or a good dust cleaning.

#3 Posted by Nolan16 (4022 posts) -
download the new patch as well if you havent because mine is crystal.
#4 Posted by Nike_Air (18894 posts) -

Wait and see if a patch comes out.

#5 Posted by Arkthemaniac (1237 posts) -

Get a new copy, I'd say.

Also, go pee on the Rockstar North offices...they deserve it for making semidefective games.

#6 Posted by WhyuStillAlive (607 posts) -

Sliverwarrior
it's not on the same spot. only GTA IV freezes. sometimes i start gta4 and do absolutly nothing and the game freezes
#7 Posted by WhyuStillAlive (607 posts) -
download the new patch as well if you havent because mine is crystal.Nolan16
yes i've downloaded the new patch. still freezes

still waiting on someone to tell me if the 360 version is also having the same problem.
Avatar image for BayCitytRollers
#8 Posted by BayCitytRollers (96 posts) -

PS3 GTA IV keeps freezing what should I do? ...

Turn up the heat in your house or put a blanket on it.

#9 Posted by Cedmln (8802 posts) -
I dunno. I never had any technical issues with the game, so I really can't help.
#10 Posted by donwoogie (3707 posts) -

I have a 60GB PS3 and I just bought GTA IV last week but it keeps freezing. I use to have an xbox 360 elite but sold it but as of right now I am looking to sell all my multiplat ps3 games and buy a 360 again.

multiplat games: paradise, r6v, oblivion + shivering, dmc4, COD4, nba 2k8, GTA IV

I like all my ps3 exclusive: folklore, motorstorm, r&c, uncharted, GT5P, Warhawk

Does the GTA IV 360 version have the same freezing problems as the PS3. does the game look better on the xbox 360. I don't mind paying for an xbox 360 but I think it's retarded that you have to pay for online.

WhyuStillAlive

http://kotaku.com/386401/rockstar-support-suggests-12+step-fix-for-gta-iv-lock-ups

That is a guide to fixing it. Though, apparently you can just disconnect the ethernet cable from your PS3 to get it to work. BTW, there is a patch for the game available. Get if if you haven't already.

#11 Posted by WhyuStillAlive (607 posts) -

Turn up the heat in your house or put a blanket on it.

BayCitytRollers
naw I heard that's for the xbox 360 RROD problems
#12 Posted by thrones (12178 posts) -

There is a NEW firmeware patch is out in a few days.

Also, go kill Sam Houser for unleashing such a buggy game.

And the X360 version can freeze as well.

#14 Posted by EuroMafia (7026 posts) -
360 version doesn't freeze, there is supposed to be a PS3 patch.
#15 Posted by killerfist (20090 posts) -

my 360 copy never froze, but I wouldnt say its better. it has some minor framerate issues and popups.

just wait for an update. dont buy a new console ONLY for GTA.

#16 Posted by skrat_01 (33767 posts) -

My 360 version keeps freezing.

Annoys the HELL out of me.

Hell as in wanting to kick my Xbox or use the disk as a Frisbee.
Seriously its that annoying.
Happilly driving after completing a mission - games locks up.
If it wasent for the AutoSave feature id probably have stopped playing out of frustration.

Note* My 360 has had RROD and has been repaired once.

#17 Posted by Cedmln (8802 posts) -

360 version doesn't freeze, there is supposed to be a PS3 patch.EuroMafia

Uh yes it does. Maybe not yours, but maybe you haven't seen the reports of both versions freezing.

#18 Posted by Phazevariance (12127 posts) -
I'm almost finished the 360 version, with not a single freeze. If you buy a new 360 less likely you'll get RROD anyways.
#19 Posted by II_Seraphim_II (20535 posts) -
Mine is fine even without any patches. Like sumone pointed out in a previous thread, i think the condition of your console is very important. I take care of all my game systems but sum people who dont clean the dust off of them are experiencing game freezes.
#20 Posted by gamespot4life (1273 posts) -

WhyuStillAlive

if you can p;ay other games on your ps3 just fine then its your gta 4 cd, doesnt take a genuis to figure that out, try cleaning the cd and if that doesnt work hopefully you can take the game back and get another one

#21 Posted by WhyuStillAlive (607 posts) -
[QUOTE="WhyuStillAlive"]

gamespot4life

if you can p;ay other games on your ps3 just fine then its your gta 4 cd, doesnt take a genuis to figure that out, try cleaning the cd and if that doesnt work hopefully you can take the game back and get another one

Lol funny because the disc is so clean... it's new without a scratch
#22 Posted by ZIMdoom (8591 posts) -

I have the 40 gig and had major freezing issues pretty much immediately. The new patch seems to have completely fixed any issues. I haven't had a freeze or been bumped from online since.

Get the patch. If that doesn't work, follow the 12 steps to fixing the problem. You can probably search for them here someplace.

#23 Posted by thrones (12178 posts) -
[QUOTE="gamespot4life"][QUOTE="WhyuStillAlive"]

WhyuStillAlive

Lol funny because the disc is so clean... it's new without a scratch

Well, it probably is the GTA4 DVD, probably something bad happened in production to it :|

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
#24 Posted by ReverseCycology (9717 posts) -

Yes, you should sell your PS3 multiplats and get a Xbox 360 Elite. There's no reports or links that I'm aware of that says the 360 version freezes, but they say one or two has disc read errors. Also since you just bought the game be aware that you might not be able to connect online or even get online. So your best bet is return your copy and get a new one, and if it still happens even with the patch whenever or if ever that patch comes, get it for your 360.

Avatar image for ReverseCycology
#25 Posted by ReverseCycology (9717 posts) -

Sliverwarrior

I thought the blu ray discs are scratch proof?

#26 Posted by thegame1980 (2194 posts) -

I am looking to sell all my multiplat ps3 games and buy a 360 again.

WhyuStillAlive

There's your answer.

#27 Posted by Riverwolf007 (26023 posts) -

I have never had one single freeze or lockup on my 360 version, I think it came close once when I started a Brucie choppa ride, it took it like 2 mins to start the mission.

#28 Posted by APOLLOCJD (2311 posts) -
Buy a 360:) It has exclusive DLC anyways!
#29 Posted by WhyuStillAlive (607 posts) -
[QUOTE="Sliverwarrior"]

ReverseCycology

I thought the blu ray discs are scratch proof?

wow Okay I checked the blu ray disc it seems it has a finger print on it.... what's the best way to clean a blu ray disc without scratching it?
#30 Posted by killzowned24 (7345 posts) -

Never had a freeze on PS3.

Why buy a 360 when it will just die + you have to pay for online.

#31 Posted by clintos59 (1320 posts) -
Call ken kuturagi or phil harrison and ask them why, they could prolly explain why GTA4 freezes on your ps3. I called ken kuturagi today and asked him why is all these freezing happening for GTA4 on the ps3 and he said, " I Got Fired". So I hung up and came on here and went to the ps3 forums and one of threads had a link to help u fix that problem. The end.
#32 Posted by WhyuStillAlive (607 posts) -
the disc had a few finger prints so I cleaned it but the disc look worst to me... but it stop freezing now. thanks everyone
#33 Posted by thrones (12178 posts) -

the disc had a few finger prints so I cleaned it but the disc look worst to me... but it stop freezing now. thanks everyoneWhyuStillAlive

Yes! Our advice did nothing and it all turned out fine!