PS3 background downloading already broken

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts
[QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"][QUOTE="ragrdoll21"] As for why it can't be added to PSN, they already said why: downloading takes resources from the game. That's a screw-up that only a hardware-centric company like Sony can produce because of their poorly planned software platform coding.

I though the 360 was all about "GAMING".So what is live without Online gaming?BS thats what it is,and I feel sorry for the guys with a 360 and can't even play their games online.:(

You can get an entire year's subscription for $35 these days. :| Or if you dont pay a lot, just get a month when you get a game you want to play online, for like $4. What are you complaining about exactly?

I'm saying that I feel sorry that only 10% of the 360 owners can play online.I love live, game on live, I have a month to month subscription to live....but I love PSn also and it kills me to see these 360 fanboys bash what they've never played.
Raidea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52 Raidea
Member since 2006 • 4366 Posts
You know, I don't download **** on my PC while I'm playing games. It takes resources. So if I need to download something on my PS3, I'll do it while I'm not playing games. TekkenMaster606

Hold on a second.

The point of this thread isn't if you need the functionality or not, it's that the functionality Sony have implemented is useless.

The whole point of background downloading is so you can play games while downloading, since (I don't know if anyone has noticed) the PS3 and the 360 are both games machines, thus not being able to play games while downloading defeats the object of background downloading entirely!
ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts
[QUOTE="ragrdoll21"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="ragrdoll21"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="ragrdoll21"][QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"][QUOTE="ragrdoll21"][QUOTE="tango90101"]

what a lame online service...

and sony hopes to keep pace with xbox live with this kind of mess?

good luck...:roll:

mjarantilla
LOL...your saying that this FREE service is lame because you can't Download and play a game?Did you say that when live launched and it had the same problems...but you had to PAY for it?:roll:

Er, no. You could pause downloads, resume them. Play music, chat online. Browse the dashboard... lots of things. Just not play a game; and it was quickly added later.

My point is that it wasn't there and I didn't see a problem with it then nor do I see a problem with it now.Would it be nice to have it sure but PSN is FREE...you have to take the good with the bad.

Xbox Live is FREE. It's just online gaming that costs money, and only 10% of the market actually plays games online.

10%....WOW only mabe they should mke live free for gaming too.

Or maybe they should de-prioritize the vocal minority and pay attention to the 90% that want something else. Oh wait, that's exactly what they did. And they're reaping the benefits for it. Whereas Sony, with their typical obtuseness, compromised the majority to cater to the minority.

??That did't make any sense,now you're just bashing Sony....I'm done with you.

Makes no sense? It makes no sense to try and cater to the LARGER audience, and polish the experience for EVERYBODY rather than just a tiny fraction of your market? Right.

I said I was done with you, so give it a rest.
A2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 A2D
Member since 2005 • 4658 Posts
Will have to wait and see but I don't understand why RAM would be a limitation, it should only need something like a 1MB buffer in the RAM or even just constantly write to the hard drive, shouldn't be too resource intensive...
mjarantilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#55 mjarantilla
Member since 2002 • 15721 Posts
[QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="ragrdoll21"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="ragrdoll21"][QUOTE="mjarantilla"][QUOTE="ragrdoll21"][QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"][QUOTE="ragrdoll21"][QUOTE="tango90101"]

ragrdoll21
LOL...your saying that this FREE service is lame because you can't Download and play a game?Did you say that when live launched and it had the same problems...but you had to PAY for it?:roll:

Er, no. You could pause downloads, resume them. Play music, chat online. Browse the dashboard... lots of things. Just not play a game; and it was quickly added later.

My point is that it wasn't there and I didn't see a problem with it then nor do I see a problem with it now.Would it be nice to have it sure but PSN is FREE...you have to take the good with the bad.

Xbox Live is FREE. It's just online gaming that costs money, and only 10% of the market actually plays games online.

10%....WOW only mabe they should mke live free for gaming too.

Or maybe they should de-prioritize the vocal minority and pay attention to the 90% that want something else. Oh wait, that's exactly what they did. And they're reaping the benefits for it. Whereas Sony, with their typical obtuseness, compromised the majority to cater to the minority.

??That did't make any sense,now you're just bashing Sony....I'm done with you.

Makes no sense? It makes no sense to try and cater to the LARGER audience, and polish the experience for EVERYBODY rather than just a tiny fraction of your market? Right.

I said I was done with you, so give it a rest.

If you were done, you wouldn't have replied. :) And you know I'm right.
Avatar image for Danthegamingman
Danthegamingman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#56 Danthegamingman
Member since 2003 • 19978 Posts
I forgot you can play Gears of War while downloading. :roll:ticalmc2k2
Yeah but who cares really. There isn't anything worth playing or doing on PS3, yet, to keep you from downloading.
johnusabeis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 johnusabeis
Member since 2004 • 2369 Posts
[QUOTE="ragrdoll21"][QUOTE="Ninja-Vox"][QUOTE="ragrdoll21"][QUOTE="tango90101"]

mjarantilla

Xbox Live is FREE. It's just online gaming that costs money, and only 10% of the market actually plays games online. In other words, only 10% of the market actually benefits from the PSN being free, while 90% suffer. Typical of Sony's new philosophy: cater only to the extremely vocal minority. That's why we now have BluRay weighing down the PS3 with $200 of unnecessary circuitry.

:lol:
Raidea

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Raidea
Member since 2006 • 4366 Posts
Will have to wait and see but I don't understand why RAM would be a limitation, it should only need something like a 1MB buffer in the RAM or even just constantly write to the hard drive, shouldn't be too resource intensive...A2D

I don't understand why anything would be a limitation to be honest. If the 360 can do it, the PS3 should be able to do it.
_AsasN_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 _AsasN_
Member since 2003 • 3646 Posts

One of our biggest gripes with the PS3 has been how poorly the system downloads files: you can't resume broken downloads, nor can you do anything whilst your system is downloading a file. No games. No movies. No music. Nada.

This was all supposed to be fixed in Sony's upcoming 1.6 firmware update. But, is it already broken before its release? Apparently so. The Inner Bits has "obtained" info about the upcoming firmware revision, and it's not looking good. The background downloads are limited to while you are in the XMB. If you launch a game, the system will pause your download because "the PS3 needs extra system resources (primarily memory) to do background downloading."

If this is indeed true, it certainly can't be due to the system's inability to play a game and download a file. Although Sony's system has the hardware to deliver the goods, it seems Sony is just not creating user-friendly software to take advantage of the system's "potential." Will we have to wait for yet another firmware revision for Sony to get this right?

http://www.playstation3.joystiq.com/2007/02/28/ps3-background-downloading-already-broken/

Xbox360PS3Wii
This is nothing to worry about. Even though the PS3 is similar to a PC in many ways, this shouldn't concern anyone who bought it. I for one don't want to download stuff while I'm playing anyway. This is a seriously small gripe and nothing more.
tumle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 tumle
Member since 2004 • 1274 Posts
ok i know this is about the psn but i never play games while my 360 is downloading because it's bugged too. if for example i start a download and try playing saints row the game will try to connect to the Internet and stop my download and then i have to manually go in and start it up again, so lemmings don't be so high and mighty about you're download system cause it's bugged too.
Gimp_Shard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 Gimp_Shard
Member since 2006 • 104 Posts

IMHO one of the biggest advantages Xbox Live has over PS3 PSN at this point is that Xbox live code (interface) is directly supplied to game developers (as are the hosting servers) whereas PS3 developers have to create their own interface/infostructure for online gaming.  But that's just my 2c Â