PS+ hasn't offered a retail game for its first 1.5 year?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't the first proper high-profile retail game that PS+ offered since its inception was Tomb Raider Underworld back in December 2011, almost a year and a half after its July 2010 launch where a select few people who sort of "pre-ordered" it in advance got LittleBigPlanet as a freebie?

If so, then why people still complain about Games with Gold program which admittedly came out extremely late within 360's lifespan, but if you compare their initial year of offerings, GwG wouldn't actually fare worse than PS+?

I know that both comparisons are not exactly fair (comparing recent shape of PS+ to GwG now opposed to. comparing their first year of existence from the perspective of 2010 vs. 2013), though the latter still makes more sense than the former.

It can only get better. Quit yo bitchin'. I'm sure it will make its debut on Xbone later on this year.

And don't forget, you had to wait almost 1.5 years for the first proper retail game. But, on the other hand, it wouldn't surprise me if you said that people had to wait 3 years until Microsoft came up with GwG. And you wouldn't be wrong.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#2  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I'm hoping EA decides to change the Origin "On the House" game from Dead Space soon. It's been what... three months since they made the offer?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

^ You just reminded me to create an Origin account and get it while it's still free :D Thanks!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

PS+ is light years ahead of Games with Gold.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: Nothing you say is wrong, but as you mentioned it's hardly an apples to apples comparison. I think Sony should be commended for their work getting this kind of system going with publishers, and MS should be commended at least for listening to their customers and bringing the idea over. I'd also agree that eventually they'll have it up for the xb1, just a matter of when.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

Well here's the problem, PS+ has already been out for a while and is giving people high profile/retail games. So GwG needs to match it, not take it's sweet time to rev up

xhawk27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By xhawk27
Member since 2010 • 12183 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Do you get to keep playing those games if you stop you subscription.

Avatar image for GearsOfWarLover
GearsOfWarLover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 GearsOfWarLover
Member since 2006 • 637 Posts

@xhawk27 said:

@SolidGame_basic said:

Do you get to keep playing those games if you stop you subscription.

Can you do anything at all if you stop your subscription?? I guess play single player games and surf the web

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@lostrib said:

Well here's the problem, PS+ has already been out for a while and is giving people high profile/retail games. So GwG needs to match it, not take it's sweet time to rev up

/thread

this isnt 2010 any more, its 2014 so why are u comparing the service m$ is providing in 2014 to the one sony was providing in 2010? makes no fukin sense

mbrockway

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mbrockway
Member since 2007 • 3560 Posts

Didn't Batman and Bioshock Infinite come out recently? Honestly, PSN+ tends to put out games I've already played. Is there even a comparison with PSN+ and Gold? Gold barely compared with PSN free.

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

Isnt Bioshock Infinite a high profile game?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#13 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

PS Plus wins. Sony really looks out for gamers worldwide.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

Yea I dont remember it taking 1.5 years for a full retail game to come out.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@santoron said:

@Salt_The_Fries: Nothing you say is wrong, but as you mentioned it's hardly an apples to apples comparison. I think Sony should be commended for their work getting this kind of system going with publishers, and MS should be commended at least for listening to their customers and bringing the idea over. I'd also agree that eventually they'll have it up for the xb1, just a matter of when.

Agreed. Sony should be commended. Also it was a brilliant business move to get subscribers to accept paying for MP. I remember when paying MP threads were the rage here. MS is evil, greedy, blah blah. But leasing some games and suddenly the its not greedy or evil? Brilliant business marketing, because in the end everyone will give up principles when compensated.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 navyguy21  Online
Member since 2003 • 17425 Posts

It doesnt matter how long PSN+ took to get going because Games with Gold isnt competing with a launch service.

MS needed to match it out of the gate to even make it worth considering and THEN work to improve it.

Honestly, it doesnt matter what games come to GwG. As long as MS insists on locking so many services behind the paywall, the free games kind of lose their luster anyway. XBL is basically mandatory if you intend on owning an Xbox.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

True that!

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

pretty much, and as we all know sheen's would say the same thing in games with gold came out first.....bubububububububububbubububububu games with gold wasn't very good playstation plus has a right.
also Of note games with gold completely destroys the first year of playstation plus and thats a fact you also get to keep the games.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

@WilliamRLBaker said:

pretty much, and as we all know sheen's would say the same thing in games with gold came out first.....bubububububububububbubububububu games with gold wasn't very good playstation plus has a right.

also Of note games with gold completely destroys the first year of playstation plus and thats a fact you also get to keep the games.

Such a silly comparison. That's like saying "PSN completely destroys the first year of XBL," while true, it makes no sense to compare to something years in the past.

Sweenix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#22  Edited By Sweenix
Member since 2013 • 5957 Posts

PS Plus demolishes games with gold, i don't think you could even compare the two.

Sollet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#23 Sollet
Member since 2003 • 8282 Posts

I think this thread kind of back fired.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think GWG is better than PS+ seeing as how you actually get to keep your games forever.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Well, to be fair. Games with Gold this month is probably better than PS+

Randolph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Randolph
Member since 2002 • 10542 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I think GWG is better than PS+ seeing as how you actually get to keep your games forever.

Forever? They are digital games on an aging nearly decade old platform that are not able to be carried forward to the new platform. No, you will not get to keep them "forever". You get to keep them as long as your 360 stays in working order and doesn't need replacing after the XBL servers for the 360 are inevitably taken down in the next two to four years.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

...except ps+ already got saints row 3 a year ago and gives out more games and covers more systems.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@Randolph: I don't use either service. Can you not back up your digital downloads onto a second hard drive like you can with the Wii U?

RossRichard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 RossRichard
Member since 2007 • 3738 Posts

Doesn't really matter who did it first or how long it took, it's who does it best. And right now PS+ beats Games with Gold handily.

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

since ps4 requires ps+ to play multiplayer who the hell isnt going to pay for for it.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PurpleMan5000

@ghostwarrior786 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

since ps4 requires ps+ to play multiplayer who the hell isnt going to pay for for it.

Well, the PS5 could come out and be a huge piece of garbage for all we know. Then you lose all of those PS4 games from this gen if you don't keep paying for the service after they shut down online play. Or Sony could go bankrupt and whoever purchases the playstation brand could decide they want to go a different direction than PS+.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#34  Edited By coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

The year head start doesn't mean anything unless we are talking about the year head start the Xbox 360 had over the PS3.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

@handssss said:

@mems_1224 said:

...except ps+ already got saints row 3 a year ago and gives out more games and covers more systems.

Which makes it even sadder that GWG beat PS+ this month.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

Sony already has deal with major publisher to put games on plus. MS screw up and now Gold can wait 4 year for game haha.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 PurpleMan5000

@Desmonic said:

That could happen to either side, so it's not much of an argument really.

Actually, that is not the case. A lot of people are switching from the 360 to PS4 this gen. They will get to keep playing their GWG games on their 360 without paying for XBL. Somebody who switched from PS3 to Xbone would have to continue to pay $50 per year for the privilege of going back and playing one of those "free" games on his/her PS3.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

and MS offers 8y old titles that cost 1.99 at best so what's better?

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PurpleMan5000

@Desmonic said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@Desmonic said:

That could happen to either side, so it's not much of an argument really.

Actually, that is not the case. A lot of people are switching from the 360 to PS4 this gen. They will get to keep playing their GWG games on their 360 without paying for XBL. Somebody who switched from PS3 to Xbone would have to continue to pay $50 per year for the privilege of going back and playing one of those "free" games on his/her PS3.

Like I just said in that post: It's a rental service. I don't know of many rental services which let you keep the "goods" after you stop paying.

EDIT:

And btw, they wouldn't have to continually pay. Should they decide to stop paying, as long as they don't delete their account, they can just pay for the month whenever they want to play them again. The games are saved/linked to your account. As long as you have PS+ activated, regardless of having paid for 4 years in a row or just 1 month and 4 years later another month, the games WILL work.

XBLG is not a rental service, though. That is why it couldn't happen to either side.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PurpleMan5000

@Desmonic said:

@PurpleMan5000: Really? I mean, really? Did you even look at what you wrote?....

Well, the PS5 could come out and be a huge piece of garbage for all we know. Then you lose all of those PS4 games from this gen if you don't keep paying for the service after they shut down online play. Or Sony could go bankrupt and whoever purchases the playstation brand could decide they want to go a different direction than PS+.

What, the next Next Xbox can't turn out to be a huge piece of garbage for all we know? After your X360 breaks and the X360 servers get shut down in a couple of years, how will you play your GwG games? MS couldn't decide to sell the Xbox division after a full decade of not making a single dime of profit? Seeing how PS+ is also used as a scheme (much like achievements were back in their day) to keep users "connected" to the brand, couldn't MS decide to turn and do the same?

These are all arguments based on "if's" and nothing but "if's", which can easily be applied to either side, thus they aren't much of an argument. They don't benefit nor counter either side really.

I don't own a 360, and admittedly, these consoles were not really designed with digital libraries in mind. Is there no way to back up your digital purchases? It seems like it would be possible with the PS3, though sort of a pain in the ass. I have no idea on the 360, though.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PurpleMan5000

@Desmonic said:

@PurpleMan5000: No idea really. Not sure if you can do it for either even (back up full games). I *think* you can, but I really don't know as I never did it (nor have had any need to do it either).

Well, don't the PS4/Xbone at least let you put your games on an external hard drive? That would solve this issue moving forward, anyway. I know the Wii U does. I can put my digital games on an external hard drive, then plug it into my PC and keep a backup in a folder so I only ever lose those games if both hard drives somehow were to fail simultaneously after Nintendo drops eshop support for the Wii U.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47  Edited By heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@coasterguy65 said:

The year head start doesn't mean anything unless we are talking about the year head start the Xbox 360 had over the PS3.

Yeah, lol. I believe PSN+ pisses all over GWG, but I just love how certain people will blather on about how relevant the PS3 catching up to the 360 was and how important giving the PS3 breathing room for awhile was and yet will state that GWG should be great NOW instead of ramping up to PSN+ levels. They also forget that PSN+ was shit when it first came out.

AND

Does that mean the PS4 is shit because it's library is garbage now OR do we keep waiting until better games come out?

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#49 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@heretrix said:

@coasterguy65 said:

Yeah, lol. I believe PSN+ pisses all over GWG, but I just love how certain people will blather on about how relevant the PS3 catching up to the 360 was and how important giving the PS3 breathing room for awhile was and yet will state that GWG should be great NOW instead of ramping up to PSN+ levels. They also forget that PSN+ was shit when it first came out.

AND

Does that mean the PS4 is shit because it's library is garbage now OR do we keep waiting until better games come out?

You know there is a simple solution to all this:

EVERYTHING IS SH!T! :P

Well, except the Vita. Cuz, you know. Gotta represent dat Brotherhood and whatnot lol

Lol. I've actually been considering getting a Vita and then common sense kicked in.

(It's still a possibility).