Magnum3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By Magnum3000
Member since 2020 • 497 Posts

https://www.news1.news/en/2020/05/ps5-backwards-compatible-with-ps2-ps3-and-ps4-games-according-to-a-turkish-store.html

Do you trust the source?

Well?

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#2 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 8026 Posts

No.

Ezekiel43

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Ezekiel43
Member since 2017 • 2545 Posts

No.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 30657 Posts

No.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#5 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 39981 Posts

"No one cares about BC" :- Sony Loyalist

So, even if turns out to be true, the loyalists don't care.

ProtossRushX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ProtossRushX
Member since 2007 • 6061 Posts

No

DaVillain-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 DaVillain-  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 42468 Posts

Well...I did find this on Twitter like 2 months ago:

I want to believe but knowing Sony, I doubt they'll go through all the trouble just to add BC PS2 & PS3 and PS4 seems to be the main focus. A shame too, it would make me think twice of me purchasing PS5 day one for this.

@Pedro said:

A huge chunk of gamers these days weren’t even alive during the PS1/PS2 days, so I can see it being a pretty niche desire for a majority of people now that gamers are older. Gamers want to play new games on new hardware. Now don’t get me wrong, I love playing old school games, (Hell I'm working my way through Shining Force 2 again on Steam) but I have ways to access them if I really get into that itch.

PS2 has BC, and it was really great, but I honestly ever used it a handful of times, but very handy to have BC. I wanted to play the new stuff but nevertheless, having lots of options is always good for the gamers😎

Even Sony Loyalist loves BC😉

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pedro

@davillain- said:

I want to believe but knowing Sony, I doubt they'll go through all the trouble just to add BC PS2 & PS3 and PS4 seems to be the main focus. A shame too, it would make me think twice of me purchasing PS5 day one for this.

@Pedro said:

A huge chunk of gamers these days weren’t even alive during the PS1/PS2 days, so I can see it being a pretty niche desire for a majority of people now that gamers are older. Gamers want to play new games on new hardware. Now don’t get me wrong, I love playing old school games, (Hell I'm working my way through Shining Force 2 again on Steam) but I have ways to access them if I really get into that itch.

PS2 has BC, and it was really great, but I honestly ever used it a handful of times, but very handy to have BC. I wanted to play the new stuff but nevertheless, having lots of options is always good for the gamers😎

I am a big fan of BC, mainly for academic reasons. Trying to teach students about the history of gaming and allowing them to experience some of the older games is getting a bit difficult. So, its exclusion is very understandable because most people simply don't care much about games as far back as PS2 or PS1. But as gaming enthusiasts BS is important for gaming history.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 1814 Posts

Well, my PC is already backwards compatible with PS2 and PS3 games. No reason a PS5 shouldn't, but here we are.

Oldgun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Oldgun
Member since 2009 • 295 Posts

No and Sony has already heavily invested in PS Now. So I don't think sony would ever want to invest in hardware back compat in PS5. Not going to happen.

npiet1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 npiet1
Member since 2018 • 3322 Posts

@Oldgun said:

No and Sony has already heavily invested in PS Now. So I don't think sony would ever want to invest in hardware back compat in PS5. Not going to happen.

Maybe PS Now is what sony calls BC for anything before the ps4.

Sadpolar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Sadpolar7
Member since 2016 • 83 Posts

Nope

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 5352 Posts

@jasonofa36: "Well, my PC is already backwards compatible with PS2 and PS3 games. No reason a PS5 shouldn't, but here we are."

Apart from ps2, ps3 and ps5 having completely different architectures...no reason at all.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 1814 Posts

@sealionact: Yeah, but emulating is a thing. Then again, remastering and selling old games sell.

Blazepanzer24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Blazepanzer24
Member since 2018 • 384 Posts

I have the PS1, PS2, PS3, and PS4 consoles, and I don't mean via the big E on the PC, I mean actual physical consoles. In fact, I have three working ps1 consoles and two working PS2 consoles. Some people might think that having a PS5 with BC would save me a lot of space, but in most cases the newer hardware plays the older hardware worse than the original hardware.

Even so, this BC might mean individual games will become available over time as with the Xbox one BC, as apposed to out of the gate all around BC.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 5352 Posts

@jasonofa36: That's doable. Xbox does it, ps did... but doing bc in the same way as PC? Only ps3 did that....and even that the actual ps3 doing it, it was added hardware that did it, and only for a short time.

But yeah, as long as people are willing to pay for psnow, Sony wont offer more than they have to.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 26446 Posts

@Pedro said:
@davillain- said:

@Pedro said:

I am a big fan of BC, mainly for academic reasons. Trying to teach students about the history of gaming and allowing them to experience some of the older games is getting a bit difficult. So, its exclusion is very understandable because most people simply don't care much about games as far back as PS2 or PS1. But as gaming enthusiasts BS is important for gaming history.

Well if you're going to teach kids the history of gaming, you should use the original consoles lol. Or you can take them to the national video game museum... or a retro store.

I think PS4 backwards compatibility is a no brainer since a lot of people are still playing them and from a technical standpoint it doesn't seem hard to do. But as far as legacy BC, like davillian pointed out, that's a very small niche. Also, there are so many remasters and ports of old games.

warmblur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By warmblur
Member since 2017 • 5216 Posts

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 31413 Posts

@Pedro:

Which is why the switch and PS4 are killing the Xbox sales wise because people don't care.

Outside of some fanboys such as your self who only play MS strengths and downplay what ever shit MS loss or does wrong.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 13017 Posts

I would argue the rumors these days combined with statements directly from Sony suggest that level of BC is flat out not going to happen

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36907 Posts

PS4 is compatible with PS1/PS2 games through digital BC and PS Now, whether you will be allowed to just pop in a an old disc to play might be questionable, but at very least I think we can expect some form of digital BC.

As far as digital BC goes, I see biggest challenge being legal issues, getting the okay from publishers to list the games. Would be nice in end to see a bridging of user rights and digital offerings across platforms, from the PS3's catalog of PS1/PS2 classics, to PSP and Vita games. Just bridging the PS3's BC catalog could be a big jumping off point, they had an excellent catalog established with room to grow, that kind of stopped it seems so Sony could push PS Now and to push a new BC standard, like enhanced BC with sharpened resolution and trophies, so there were barriers doing this on PS4, and they were never pressed to address this mainly because of complacency with their unchallenged lead. Hopefully this gen they won't leave a BC gap.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 1008 Posts

wonder if the tempest chip will help to play the ps3 games since it has the same architecture as the ps3.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Pedro
@SolidGame_basic said:

Well if you're going to teach kids the history of gaming, you should use the original consoles lol. Or you can take them to the national video game museum... or a retro store.

I don't teach kids. Its a University. Old systems are just that old, hard to get, unreliable and expensive. Emulation of older hardware for teaching is not uncommon. The original PS3 is simply awesome for its BC.

@tormentos: Its amazing that you don't know how do anything else but to shill.🤣😁

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 1008 Posts
@lamprey263 said:

PS4 is compatible with PS1/PS2 games through digital BC and PS Now, whether you will be allowed to just pop in a an old disc to play might be questionable, but at very least I think we can expect some form of digital BC.

As far as digital BC goes, I see biggest challenge being legal issues, getting the okay from publishers to list the games. Would be nice in end to see a bridging of user rights and digital offerings across platforms, from the PS3's catalog of PS1/PS2 classics, to PSP and Vita games. Just bridging the PS3's BC catalog could be a big jumping off point, they had an excellent catalog established with room to grow, that kind of stopped it seems so Sony could push PS Now and to push a new BC standard, like enhanced BC with sharpened resolution and trophies, so there were barriers doing this on PS4, and they were never pressed to address this mainly because of complacency with their unchallenged lead. Hopefully this gen they won't leave a BC gap.

yeah i rather have a psnow but for only old gen games ps1,ps2,ps3,ps4,psp,vita. but i want a huge list of them. like at least 70 percent of games from each gen. i lost all my games in a house fire so it be nice to have this.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 SolidGame_basic

@Pedro said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

I don't teach kids. Its a University. Old systems are just that old, hard to get, unreliable and expensive. Emulation of older hardware for teaching is not uncommon. The original PS3 is simply awesome for its BC.

@tormentos: Its amazing that you don't know how do anything else but to shill.🤣😁

There is a retro shop about 5 or 6 miles from my house. Can get plenty of retro systems for cheap. And there are plenty of retro shops around. Or you can do eBay or retro conventions.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 9226 Posts

I don't trust the info unless it comes straight from Sony.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

There is a retro shop about 5 or 6 miles from my house. Can get plenty of retro systems for cheap. And there are plenty of retro shops around. Or you can do eBay or retro conventions.

LOL. I don't why you think because there is a retro shop 5-6 miles from your house means anything to me unless we are living in the same area. The reality is that gaming needs to have are more meaningful method of access to older games. The idea of buying older consoles is only going to work for so long. Every other medium facilitates some method of digital distribution of the oldest content. Gaming needs to follow. In addition that, these old games should not be edited with non optional filters when released in collections on newer systems.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 46888 Posts

It is not in Sony's interest to make it that far back. Far more profit in forcing people to buy remasters.

I'm sure they will allow for a one-generation BC (PS4 games) to placate the masses, but I do not expect them to go as far back as PS2.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SolidGame_basic

@Pedro said:
@SolidGame_basic said:

LOL. I don't why you think because there is a retro shop 5-6 miles from your house means anything to me unless we are living in the same area. The reality is that gaming needs to have are more meaningful method of access to older games. The idea of buying older consoles is only going to work for so long. Every other medium facilitates some method of digital distribution of the oldest content. Gaming needs to follow. In addition that, these old games should not be edited with non optional filters when released in collections on newer systems.

I'm just responding to your original comment "I am a big fan of BC, mainly for academic reasons. Trying to teach students about the history of gaming and allowing them to experience some of the older games is getting a bit difficult." So if you want to teach students about history of gaming and actually experience it, it would be useful to teach them with the actual systems. "The idea of buying older consoles is only going to work for so long." I mean, do you think students 100 years from now will care what a neogeo pocket is? lol.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#30 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 36907 Posts

@gifford38: PS Now would make a great addition to accessibility, but bridging access and rights for games would add great value to users that their digital rights would be honored. If you owned your games digitally, and some unfortunate incident like the one you suffered happens, all you'd need to do is acquire a new PlayStation, log into your account, and re-download the games tied to your account. Plus, I feel in ways tying digital rights to just their initial platform in ways discourages digital purchasing, I would be far less hesitant to picking things up if I believed the games I buy would be accessible on future devices. Not to say there's anything bad about buying physical, but digital has its advantages. For older games, many can be acquired cheaply if offered digitally, whereas trying to find copies of older rare games can be pricey.

It is a good thing you can play many of the games you once owned through PS Now, but I imagine a subscription service like that will need to juggle its offerings so there's no guarantee you would keep access to the games you want to play. It helps fill gaps but a strong BC system would help you keep the games you want and offer you opportunity to acquire more.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

I'm just responding to your original comment "I am a big fan of BC, mainly for academic reasons. Trying to teach students about the history of gaming and allowing them to experience some of the older games is getting a bit difficult." So if you want to teach students about history of gaming and actually experience it, it would be useful to teach them with the actual systems. "The idea of buying older consoles is only going to work for so long." I mean, do you think students 100 years from now will care what a neogeo pocket is? lol.

Its as if the entire point went right over your head. 🤦‍♂️

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 tormentos

@Pedro:

You are not a fan of BC for academic reasons,you are a fan of BC for MS reasons.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SolidGame_basic

@tormentos said:

@Pedro:

You are not a fan of BC for academic reasons,you are a fan of BC for MS reasons.

lol, I noticed he has a tendency to deflect.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tormentos

@SolidGame_basic said:
@tormentos said:

@Pedro:

Greatly..🤣🤣

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Pedro

@tormentos said:

@Pedro:

Everything for you is about MS. That is always on your mind. You are bitter that I am developer, you are bitter that I am professor. You just always bitter. That Pedro envy. 😂

@SolidGame_basic said:
@tormentos said:

@Pedro:

And you decided to join the fool to.🤣😂

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 17766 Posts

@magnum3000:

It better be. I have no confidence PS5(or XSX) will have compelling games year 1.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 1421 Posts

Not in a million years

adsparky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#38 adsparky
Member since 2006 • 1748 Posts

If it was a syrian store i would believe it, but they're turkish, so, no.

Oemenia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Oemenia
Member since 2003 • 10408 Posts

@Pedro said:

They will talk about how BC is amazing and Sony is doing it as a favour.

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 6017 Posts

I don't know it it's true or not, but as far as trusting that site? lol... no.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#41 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 7408 Posts

@Pedro: I literally do not care if a PS5 can play PS1, PS2 or PS3 games.

What am I interested in is playing PS4 games like FFVII:R, RDR2, God of War, Days Gone, Death Stranding etc on the PS5, by simply putting the PS4 disc and running it in native 4K/60fps.

That would be awesome as there won't be that many great games the first 2 years or so of the consoles's life.

The rest is irrelevant. If all it does it play my PS4 games in 1080p/30 (or 1440p at Pro's res) then I have zero interest in playing PS4 games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Pedro

@Mozelleple112 said:

@Pedro: I literally do not care if a PS5 can play PS1, PS2 or PS3 games.

I can't recall asking you if you did. 🤷‍♂️

Wirrexx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Wirrexx
Member since 2003 • 1735 Posts

TBH i Don't care for BC, never played PS2 games on my PS3 (60 gb version). .Never played PS3 Games on my PS4.. and will not play my PS4 games on my PS5. I am just like that, nostalgic? sure, but i can just rewatch my favourite game on youtube. However, i save my games, but consoles that sold over 50 + million, you can find anywhere so usually i just give away my consoles to younger cousins or cousins children.

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 2

#45 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 4425 Posts

Still not going to sway my idea in buying a PS5 or not,going to own both the PS5 and the XSX. Not going to worry about BC when I'm more interested in playing current generation games.Either way Sony or MS goes???

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 8674 Posts

Really unexcited even if this was true tbh.

Avatar image for thatstevedawson
ThatSteveDawson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ThatSteveDawson
Member since 2020 • 11 Posts

Would be great if this was true but I don't see it. I still have all my old consoles but I would love to just use one.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#48 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11413 Posts

highly doubt it. If it's true though, I'll be buying on day 1, and it'll be the first console I've owned in over 15 years.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#49 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 7408 Posts

@Pedro: You seem incapable of recalling a lot of things. Look at your post.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Pedro

@Mozelleple112 said:

@Pedro: You seem incapable of recalling a lot of things. Look at your post.

Please aid my in pointing out where I asked you if you cared?