Project Spartacus to launch very soon, according to Journalist. Rumored details on tiered packages!

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45055 Posts

https://venturebeat.com/2022/02/24/playstation-plans-3-spartacus-tiers-for-as-much-as-16-per-month/

Wow, first Shadow Warrior 3 launches on PS Now, and now Project Spartacus about to launch. Phil must be shaking in his boots right now. Thoughts, SW? Sounds like Sony is doing the Nintendo model for classic games which kinda sucks. And instead of giving their games for free, you can do a game trial like EA Play. These are all rumors btw, nothing official yet.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44539 Posts

Curious with those tiers it includes PS Plus with it in a combined recurring charge. I've heard one tier is supposed to focus on older BC games, wondering what the other tier includes.

Edit: oops, they covered that, so PS+ will be an additional charge

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44098 Posts

Interested in seeing just what Sony will be offering here for those various tiers.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 SolidGame_basic

@lamprey263 said:

Curious with those tiers it includes PS Plus with it in a combined recurring charge. I've heard one tier is supposed to focus on older BC games, wondering what the other tier includes.

Edit: oops, they covered that, so PS+ will be an additional charge

I though since it's a Tier, if you go higher, it includes everything from the previous tier. So I assume that PS+ is included. But I guess we'll see.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16534 Posts

Big words for sony to compare itself to gamepass. Are sonys games going to be on there. Btw, why are cows so excited about this? The cows kept harping on about how they rather own games than rent them. This service is unnecessary for the cows that love paying $70 per game plus taxes.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9394 Posts

Make it cross-platform or it's DOA.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5555 Posts

It could be successful if there is a package for PC too. If this is just limited to PS consoles it will not be a competitor to gamepass.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SolidGame_basic

@enzyme36 said:

It could be successful if there is a package for PC too. If this is just limited to PS consoles it will not be a competitor to gamepass.

I wonder if the Game Trials will go beyond Sony first party games. That would be pretty cool.

Djoffer123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By Djoffer123
Member since 2016 • 2249 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: wow premium demos and decades old games, yeah Phil must be shaking in his boots😂😂😂

Edit: wait are you actually trying to hype demos now??? Even for you that is pretty desperate😂😂😂

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 enzyme36

@SolidGame_basic said:
@enzyme36 said:

I wonder if the Game Trials will go beyond Sony first party games. That would be pretty cool.

This will definitely needs 3rd party games or at least key partnerships with teams like From Soft.

But game trials aint it... paying monthly to get access to partial game trials is not appealing to me personally.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#11  Edited By BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17792 Posts

Sounds like shit to be honest. Paying for trials/demos is ridiculous. Nothing that was described to me would make me upgrade from the base PS Plus (which I only subscribe for the online play anyway). Offer up the full games on day one like Game Pass if you want to compete. Also, no mention of PC...

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9814 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: 16 bucks a month for trials? By the Gods, have Sony no shame? This is their answer to GP?

Lmfao.

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 dabear
Member since 2002 • 8848 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: If that is true, that's a weak competitor to Game Pass.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 sealionact

@lamprey263: $16 per month doesn’t include ps+?

How on earth do they think it will compete with GP ultimate which includes Xbox live, eaplay, games with gold, xstream, gp for console and gp for pc?

DOA.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44539 Posts

@sealionact: seems in some part a rebranding effort, people for months have talked about Sony rolling out their answer to Game Pass but it's like people already forget Sony already has PS Now

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sealionact

@lamprey263: I have no idea what it is. Sony spoke about an answer to gp on multiple occasions. Gp ultimate is day one 1st and 3rd party games, mp gaming, streaming, bc games and more across multiple platforms.

Psnow premium appears to be game trials (Which when they were offered before were free), streaming (Meaning those under this tier and paying for psnow with streaming lose that feature and classic games.

I’m going to assume this is fake news. Sony wouldn’t dare offer this.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 16534 Posts

@sealionact: by trials they probably mean the same thing as xbox gamepass. You get a certain amount of time, maybe a few months to play the full game before its removed and new games are added.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#18 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12894 Posts

I will wait for Sony's announcement. No way would they go with weird tiers of 10, 13, and 16. Possible, but seems like weird marketing. Secondly, $16 for demos? No way that can be true. That would be horrible. Demos should be free anyway.

Ah, the good ol' days when we had demos. Demo disks with magazines. Demos were required with Xbox Live Arcade. I miss those days.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 SolidGame_basic

@x_hedon said:

I will wait for Sony's announcement. No way would they go with weird tiers of 10, 13, and 16. Possible, but seems like weird marketing. Secondly, $16 for demos? No way that can be true. That would be horrible. Demos should be free anyway.

Ah, the good ol' days when we had demos. Demo disks with magazines. Demos were required with Xbox Live Arcade. I miss those days.

I don't think it's $16 just for trials. I think if you go up a higher tier, you get the previous tiers benefits too. But I could be wrong.

KvallyX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 KvallyX
Member since 2019 • 12894 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:
@x_hedon said:

I don't think it's $16 just for trials. I think if you go up a higher tier, you get the previous tiers benefits too. But I could be wrong.

Well, yes, it would include the previous tiers. But I was talking about the only incentive would be demos, which should be free. Free on PS, free on Xbox, free on PC. They are so rare though.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 enzyme36

Jeff Grubb just put up an article on GamesBeat with his breakdown of the tiers. Obviously feel free to include on op

https://venturebeat.com/2022/02/24/playstation-plans-3-spartacus-tiers-for-as-much-as-16-per-month/

Boiled-Hotdug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Boiled-Hotdug
Member since 2022 • 288 Posts

So for $16 a month I get to play trials and classic games? 😂😂😂

I'm not a fan of Game Pass as I prefer owning my games but if this is Sony's answer then this is a joke...

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SolidGame_basic

@enzyme36 said:

Jeff Grubb just put up an article on GamesBeat with his breakdown of the tiers. Obviously feel free to include on op

thanks. kept it short and sweet and put a link with the chart.

thedork_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By thedork_knight
Member since 2011 • 2664 Posts

Is this a joke?

WitIsWisdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#25 WitIsWisdom
Member since 2007 • 9530 Posts

Strange to charge for demos, but I guess if it is for every game then perhaps it would make more sense. If it's only for SONY 1st person games I'm not so sure though. There are a lot of games I would love to try for an hour or two to see whether or not I would like to buy them though. That said, paying for trials is a joke. There has to be more to it than that.

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8469 Posts

So TC suddenly likes renting demos now?

Avatar image for deactivated-642321fb121ca
deactivated-642321fb121ca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#27 deactivated-642321fb121ca
Member since 2013 • 7142 Posts

What if classic meant ps1/2/3 games, all of them?

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By sealionact

@blaznwiipspman1: It says “like ea play”. Eaplay has trials of full games limited to 10 hours or so. Also older games with no time limit. If Sony are offering limited time on games like eaplay, it’s doomed to go down worse than psnow.

tdkmillsy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 tdkmillsy
Member since 2003 • 5857 Posts

So it costs more than Gamepass and offers way less.

Yup Microsoft are shaking in their boots.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 3727 Posts

Sony doesn't have Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Halo, Gears, and Doom, so I don't care at all. The only valuable thing Sony has anymore is god of war.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#31 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69353 Posts

OP hyping $16 a month to play demos.😂

Avatar image for deactivated-628e6669daebe
deactivated-628e6669daebe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By deactivated-628e6669daebe
Member since 2020 • 3637 Posts

And now thanks to the power of magic subscriptions are great again.

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

@ghost_of_phobos: No ..they still suck.

stacweed11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 stacweed11
Member since 2020 • 447 Posts

If I cant play my "classic" games through my disc natively. Then I'll stick to the basics.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13659 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Phil must be shaking in his boots right now. Thoughts, SW?

No way. This is still a limp response to Gamepass. It's nothing new, just combining services under tiers.

This isn't going to get it done, I knew Sony would half ass it.

Gamepass is still superior and simpler. It works over FAR more devices, which is key. It's not simply "an option" for MS like it is Sony, it's a new business model, a new way of getting things done with many key pledges Sony won't make. This makkes Gamepass aggressive and able to reach far more people.

And the fact that this is for PS4/5 only, means it's no threat. The service is still bound by hardware. So how can it pose a threat to Gamepass... At all?

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13659 Posts
@Pedro said:

OP hyping $16 a month to play demos.😂

This can't be right. It's such a limp half in, half out response from Sony.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#37 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15900 Posts

I hope those Classic games is available to purchase individually and playable via native console emulation. Game catalogues I guess all PSNow title is pulled into this service.

I dont see why I should bother paying more than the $60 PS+ as of now. Needs more info on what advantages the new sub brings.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@sakaixx said:

I hope those Classic games is available to purchase individually and playable via native console emulation. Game catalogues I guess all PSNow title is pulled into this service.

I dont see why I should bother paying more than the $60 PS+ as of now. Needs more info on what advantages the new sub brings.

Yea, if true, I'm disappointed that Sony would copy the Nintendo model and put classic games behind a subscription without allowing them for purchase.

Antwan3K

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Antwan3K
Member since 2005 • 8009 Posts

I hope this isnt the intended service.. If so, it's just as irrelevant as the PS Now service currently is..

The biggest addition would be game trials for 1st party games.. Thats $16 a month for paid game demos vs $10 a month for full game releases on Game Pass..

I'd like to see Sony step it up in this area but this is DOA for me if true..

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

I will just keep my Ps+ membership as it is.

I don't need anything beyond that

CBCstillmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#41  Edited By CBCstillmatic
Member since 2008 • 81 Posts

Wait so if essential is basically the same as current PS+ then $10/month means they are doubling the price from $60/year to $120? Isn’t that what Microsoft got flak for trying to do? I mean I buy yearly cards at discount during Black Friday so my PS+ is good for another 4 years yet. Hopefully they do what Microsoft did and allow some sort of conversion otherwise I’ll just hold out on changing anything.

I’m a big fan of Gamepass too and got 2 years loaded up again just grabbing the 3 month cards when on sale. Hopefully this remains an option for both services in the future. I like being able to try games I otherwise wouldn’t or playing games I passed on in the past so I’m interested in more details on Sony’s offering.

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 SolidGame_basic

@CBCstillmatic: PS Plus is already $10 a month if you just pay for a month of service.

CBCstillmatic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 CBCstillmatic
Member since 2008 • 81 Posts

@SolidGame_basic: My bad, had no clue honestly. Don’t remember there being monthly options when I signed up initially for PS+ or LIVE. Then hopefully they do not do away with the yearly sub and it remains a cost saving option.

jcafcwbb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 jcafcwbb
Member since 2015 • 664 Posts

The only thing that would make me sign up for this service is Day One of the big first party games.

There is too many of games in my backlog already and I am going to try out the GOT:Legends and GTA Online this month.

It doesn't look like something that will interest me I think - a whole of load of games I'll never end up playing. I'll stick to paying for the odd game I am interested in buying day one, get the other few on sales and play whatever else turns up on the monthly games - and I don't play most of them!

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18792 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

What a horrible deal.