Project Ophelia: The future of gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 StormyJoe
Member since 2011 • 7806 Posts

Think of the possiblitiies: you plug it into your TV, PC monitor, or whatever and you turn it into a PC without having a PC. Turn any monitor anywhere into a computing device. Why have consoles or gaming PCs?

• Have the best of both with a device the size of a thumb-drive.
  • Need more processing? , pay an extra few bucks a month for more processing power.
  • Need more cloud space? Rent some more.

An always-up-to-date, ever expandable, 100% portable, fully functioning "computer" for $100.

If this thing works as advertised, it could be the biggest leap in home tech (especially gaming tech) in a long time.

Here's the link: http://www.zdnet.com/dells-project-ophelia-might-be-my-favorite-gadget-at-ces-7000009542/#prclt-i2iEimSr

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

old you can already do this with a android pc from china for like 60$ comes with 8gbs memory two cores 1.6ghz and 1gb ram and is the size of a big usb stick.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Android thumbsticks already exist
Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
So another streaming gaming service? I'll get excited when I see one that actually delivers on its promises.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#5 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

can't you just launch an OS from a USB drive now?

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 StormyJoe

old you can already do this with a android pc from china for like 60$ comes with 8gbs memory two cores 1.6ghz and 1gb ram and is the size of a big usb stick.

osirisx3

But it's not. The processing comes from the cloud. Ophelia is just the gateway.

-Unreal-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 -Unreal-
Member since 2004 • 24650 Posts

OnLive is the future of gaming. Get with the times man.

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 StormyJoe

LegatoSkyheart

It's not at all the same thing. Ophelia is a gateway device. All the processing and data storage is done in the cloud. It has no HDD, CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 LegatoSkyheart

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

StormyJoe

It's not at all the same thing. Ophelia is a gateway device. All the processing and data storage is done in the cloud. It has no HDD, CPU, GPU, RAM, etc.

oh in otherwords useless without the internet. K.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

So another streaming gaming service? I'll get excited when I see one that actually delivers on its promises.blue_hazy_basic

When did you become a mod? :o

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]So another streaming gaming service? I'll get excited when I see one that actually delivers on its promises.seanmcloughlin

couple of days ago.
Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]So another streaming gaming service? I'll get excited when I see one that actually delivers on its promises.blue_hazy_basic

couple of days ago.

Nice one man, congrats :D

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

seanmcloughlin

couple of days ago.

Nice one man, congrats :D

cheers! :)
StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 StormyJoe

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

LegatoSkyheart

Next gen consoles will mostlikely require an internet connection.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

StormyJoe

I don't believe that for one second. Its possible some games might, but not the machines themselves. Now the gen after ... thats a different story.
StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 StormyJoe

So another streaming gaming service? I'll get excited when I see one that actually delivers on its promises.blue_hazy_basic

It's not just a streaming gaming service. There is no physical hardware - all processing and data is from the cloud. They are testing it with run-of-the-mill pc apps (like Office).

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 StormyJoe

[QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

[QUOTE="LegatoSkyheart"]

blue_hazy_basic

I don't believe that for one second. Its possible some games might, but not the machines themselves. Now the gen after ... thats a different story.

How, then, would they ensure that you are not using a used game? It's not like the optical drives in them will write that information to the disc.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"][QUOTE="StormyJoe"]

StormyJoe

How, then, would they ensure that you are not using a used game? It's not like the optical drives in them will write that information to the disc.

That hasn't been confirmed, its only been speculated about by media people. Who knows how and if that will be implemented.
bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

Don't know why people are mocking it, this is the future a system what's going to have house massive gaming rigs and you stream the games this means will have the top end graphics on nothing more than a small box, all the hardwork is going to happen in servers across the world this is a reality. Cloud gaming is the next big thing, most of us now have good internet connections as standard. Its in its early stages but seriously why mock something what is the future, already rumours flying about the next gen going digital downloads only, this is pretty much the same thing but on a grander scale

StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 StormyJoe

Don't know why people are mocking it, this is the future a system what's going to have house massive gaming rigs and you stream the games this means will have the top end graphics on nothing more than a small box, all the hardwork is going to happen in servers across the world this is a reality. Cloud gaming is the next big thing, most of us now have good internet connections as standard. Its in its early stages but seriously why mock something what is the future, already rumours flying about the next gen going digital downloads only, this is pretty much the same thing but on a grander scale

bezza2011

I don't know either. People are afraid of change?

If this works, it will be the greatest leap in consumer tech in a long time. Turn any monitor, TV, Tablet, or smartphone with a USB port into a fully functioning computer? Never need to upgrade your hardware? That is simply awesome.

blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator

[QUOTE="bezza2011"]

StormyJoe

I don't know either. People are afraid of change?

If this works, it will be the greatest leap in consumer tech in a long time. Turn any monitor, TV, Tablet, or smartphone with a USB port into a fully functioning computer? Never need to upgrade your hardware? That is simply awesome.

If it works I'll be delighted. All I'm saying is we should wait until we see something concrete.
LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 LegatoSkyheart

bezza2011

Cloud Computing means you won't own anything.

Pretty soon it'll be just that.

Also if your Internet goes out, you won't have access to anything.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

[QUOTE="bezza2011"]

LegatoSkyheart

Cloud Computing means you won't own anything.

Pretty soon it'll be just that.

Also if your Internet goes out, you won't have access to anything.

Very true but as people are forgetting when buying digital games means you dont own them as we all found out when Bruce Willis wanted to leave his music to his kids which he paid for digital copies and there not truely his. Me to like owning my own stuff I hope disc never go but reality is everyone is on the internet in the UK and most major countries have good internet seriously I pay 20quid and I have super fast internet which never fails and this is the same for most only the minority dont and this will change soon. I understand where your coming from completely but I think the tv only wanted more of a talk of what the future holds plus Sony has taken over and bought the biggest clouding company in the world and there all excited

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 LegatoSkyheart

Very true but as people are forgetting when buying digital games means you dont own them as we all found out when Bruce Willis wanted to leave his music to his kids which he paid for digital copies and there not truely his. Me to like owning my own stuff I hope disc never go but reality is everyone is on the internet in the UK and most major countries have good internet seriously I pay 20quid and I have super fast internet which never fails and this is the same for most only the minority dont and this will change soon. I understand where your coming from completely but I think the tv only wanted more of a talk of what the future holds plus Sony has taken over and bought the biggest clouding company in the world and there all excited

bezza2011

But right now all of that content is put on a Physical Hard Drive.

If it's there it can be accessed. regardless of licenses.

Once Companies start getting full access to your Digital Copies ala Cloud. Then you truly won't own anything.

rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
PC = personal computer. Once it goes cloud it'll be no longer personal. Everything will be tied to a rental service & require internet, and I hate that sh!t.
-Renegade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#27 -Renegade
Member since 2007 • 8340 Posts
What I don't get is you would still need a mouse and keyboard. Why not just put this technology into a cell phone and have the cell phone be the keyboard.

bezza2011
I am 100% sure cloud gaming will be the standard.... 50 years from now. And that's only years after 1 gpbs internet connections become the standard.
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts
Not going to make any meaningful impact.
22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts
"Ophelia" sounds like a vanereal disease. :/
rjdofu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 rjdofu
Member since 2008 • 9171 Posts
Not going to make any meaningful impact.Heil68
lol amazing sig.
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
So basically when the entire western world has fibre optics to every household then this is viable
StormyJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 StormyJoe

So basically when the entire western world has fibre optics to every household then this is viableSPBoss

Did you read the article? The project lead is using it full time, in places like hotels - I don't think they have fiber optic internet connections.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="blue_hazy_basic"]So another streaming gaming service? I'll get excited when I see one that actually delivers on its promises.blue_hazy_basic

couple of days ago.

HE'LL BAN US ALL! HE'LL BAN US ALL:cry:

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts

[QUOTE="SPBoss"]So basically when the entire western world has fibre optics to every household then this is viableStormyJoe

Did you read the article? The project lead is using it full time, in places like hotels - I don't think they have fiber optic internet connections.

It's more useful as a commercial application but will not be used by mainstream consumers for a VERY long time
Cherokee_Jack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#35 Cherokee_Jack
Member since 2008 • 32198 Posts
Haha, yeah, let me just take my X-Wing over to the Best Buy on Ganymede and get me one of those.