Project O Wii details

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Firelore29
Member since 2007 • 4158 Posts

This game sounds quite amazing.

Yasunaga described the game's "life simulation" component, which shares some similarities to his previous project, World Neverland. In Project O, NPC characters move according to AI routines, following their own schedules, making friends, and appearing to carry about their lives. Yasunaga is working on this area of the game with a programmer, and is currently considering the details of the various life patterns.

The life simulation has three parts to it. NPC characters will have their own life, doing things like going to work and coming home to sleep. They'll have reactions to other characters, saluting their superior officers during encounters, for instance.

The third area is memory. Each NPC character will retain a record of things that happened in the past. Yasunaga gave the example of characters walking down a street that they used to traverse with a girlfriend who has died. The NPCs will also remember things that happened during gameplay. For instance, if a character kills a monster, he'll boast about it in town.

Characters will have their own set of AI rules. Unlike World Neverland where, according to Yasunaga, 120 people behaved according to the same AI, Project O's characters behave in accordance with their professions. The game will have scores of different AI routines.

As discussed in previous interviews, in addition to this life simulation area, the game will also feature a growing city. Your city might actually start off as a village, growing in scale as the game progresses. The developers are hoping that players will boast about the state of their town to their friends.

http://uk.wii.ign.com/articles/809/809780p1.html

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
So, what do you do in the game? Kill NPC's girlfriends so you can talk to them about it later?
Nickman71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Nickman71
Member since 2003 • 1002 Posts
Anyone have the Famitsu scans?
dackchaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 dackchaar
Member since 2005 • 3668 Posts
sounds alot like oblivion.
Avatar image for nintendofreak_2
nintendofreak_2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#5 nintendofreak_2
Member since 2005 • 25896 Posts
So it's like Home and the Sims...?
Pangster007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#6 Pangster007
Member since 2004 • 4426 Posts
Sounds interesting but i want to know about what you actually do in the game.
RahnAetas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 RahnAetas
Member since 2003 • 1834 Posts

It's all a lie, we all know that advanced AI can only exist on the "true" next-gen systems!

On a more serious note, been waiting for a game to come along to take this path of detail when it comes to AI. 3D environments have been immersive for a long time, but the AI's reactionsis still the same from games like Dragon Warrior and Final Fantasy. Meaning they don't have anything important to say or do unless it directly relates to what you're doing.

magiciandude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 magiciandude
Member since 2004 • 9667 Posts
*INB4 "teh kiddy" comments*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

*INB4 "teh kiddy" comments*magiciandude
How can anyone call what he described kiddy?

Unless you just hang out in a sandbox with rugrats :o

Avatar image for themagicbum9720
themagicbum9720

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 themagicbum9720
Member since 2007 • 6536 Posts

sounds cool

Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Firelore29

So it's like Home and the Sims...?nintendofreak_2

It sound like it has monsters in it so it's probably not like Sims.

The third area is memory. Each NPC character will retain a record of things that happened in the past. Yasunaga gave the example of characters walking down a street that they used to traverse with a girlfriend who has died. The NPCs will also remember things that happened during gameplay. For instance, if a character kills a monster, he'll boast about it in town.

That paragraph just seems amazing to me. The fact that every NPC has it's own memory of what has happened to it.

Avatar image for NobuoMusicMaker
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 NobuoMusicMaker
Member since 2005 • 6628 Posts
Oblivion already tried this. Quite frankly, the idealistic AI is still impossible. This AI build will end up being shallow.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Oblivion already tried this. Quite frankly, the idealistic AI is still impossible. This AI build will end up being shallow.NobuoMusicMaker
I'm inclined to agree. But, I'll wait and see.
Nickman71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Nickman71
Member since 2003 • 1002 Posts

Oblivion already tried this. Quite frankly, the idealistic AI is still impossible. This AI build will end up being shallow.NobuoMusicMaker

Have you ever said one positive thing about the Wii?

Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Firelore29

I'm sure it largely depends on how integral it is to the actual game. In Oblivion it was not really a large part of the game so they didn't spend a lot of time working on it.

NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 NobuoMusicMaker

[QUOTE="NobuoMusicMaker"]Oblivion already tried this. Quite frankly, the idealistic AI is still impossible. This AI build will end up being shallow.Firelore29

I'm sure it largely depends on how integral it is to the actual game. In Oblivion it was not really a large part of the game so they didn't spend a lot of time working on it.

Oh, they spent a loooott of time on it. They spent 3 events just touting the AI routines. How their AI will live life like normal people and act based on your actions.

Moon_of_Majora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 Moon_of_Majora
Member since 2006 • 6065 Posts

This reminds me of Majora's Mask's NPCs.

And MM's NPCs were awesome.

:D I think I'll be getting this.

Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Firelore29
[QUOTE="Firelore29"]

[QUOTE="NobuoMusicMaker"]Oblivion already tried this. Quite frankly, the idealistic AI is still impossible. This AI build will end up being shallow.NobuoMusicMaker

Oh, they spent a loooott of time on it. They spent 3 events just touting the AI routines. How their AI will live life like normal people and act based on your actions.

Again it depends on how integral it is to the game. In Oblivion you talk to people like 4 or 5 times max even if the AI is amazing you simply don't talk to them enough to even notice it. I beat that game twice and I didn't know that they even had that feature until 5 minutes ago. If it were more integral to the game though it could be much more interesting.

RahnAetas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RahnAetas
Member since 2003 • 1834 Posts

[QUOTE="nintendofreak_2"]So it's like Home and the Sims...?Firelore29

It sound like it has monsters in it so it's probably not like Sims.

That paragraph just seems amazing to me. The fact that every NPC has it's own memory of what has happened to it.

The part about the NPC killing a monster then boasting about it is what got my attention. Seldom, if ever, do you see an NPC actually do things that effect the world around you. Most of the time they are passive participants, who only do things when you're around and thusly scripted to do so.

It would be somewhat amusing if there was some sorta great evil plauging a village, and if you didn't go and kill the monster yourself after awhile an NPC would do it instead. Would be pretty funny, especially if the NPC started to rub it in your face.

grapefruit21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 grapefruit21
Member since 2007 • 3537 Posts
It sounds like the sims meets some adventure game. If it is more sims pass if its is more of an adventure game I might rent it.
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Eponique
Member since 2007 • 17918 Posts

Despite all the talk of the life simulation and town growth, Kawaguchi closed off the interview with the revelation that the main game is something different. This mysterious area is where the player's direct action will come into play.

Specifics will be detailed at the Tokyo Game Show. We're hopeful that actual screenshots will follow.

More

That part was important!! I thought people said 3rd Parties aren't allowed to show their stuff for Nintendo consoles at Tokyo Game Show :?

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#22 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

So its...The Sims?

Yeah....way cooler than Uncharted or heavenly sword.....

Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Eponique

So its...The Sims?

Yeah....way cooler than Uncharted or heavenly sword.....

Bread_or_Decide

You didn't read it did you?

Hoffgod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 Hoffgod
Member since 2006 • 12229 Posts
Sounds neat. Can't wait to see it in action.
grapefruit21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 grapefruit21
Member since 2007 • 3537 Posts

[QUOTE="More"]

Despite all the talk of the life simulation and town growth, Kawaguchi closed off the interview with the revelation that the main game is something different. This mysterious area is where the player's direct action will come into play.

Specifics will be detailed at the Tokyo Game Show. We're hopeful that actual screenshots will follow.

Eponique

That part was important!! I thought people said 3rd Parties aren't allowed to show their stuff for Nintendo consoles at Tokyo Game Show :?

That sounds better I need to start keeping track of this game is it for 08?
NobuoMusicMaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 NobuoMusicMaker

Again it depends on how integral it is to the game. In Oblivion you talk to people like 4 or 5 times max even if the AI is amazing you simply don't talk to them enough to even notice it. I beat that game twice and I didn't know that they even had that feature until 5 minutes ago. If it were more integral to the game though it could be much more interesting.

Firelore29

Well either you're lying, you never saw a single preview or review, or they just plainly failed to have an outstanding AI.

The AI go about their routines but they stop by to talk and converse with people on their way, sometimes they ignore the other people, it depends on static numbers. You punch an NPC in the face enough times, they'll try to kill you. You punch the NPC in the face once, they'll remember it and another shot would make them go and kill you. This was an attempt to bring some community realism to the game with AI that actually act like people, but they don't really.

This game is sounding more like The Sims with concept heading towards what Oblivion was trying to do. Oblivion without the medieval fighting and adventuring. Sounds pretty bad to me.

Firelore29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Firelore29
[QUOTE="Firelore29"]

NobuoMusicMaker

Well either you're lying, you never saw a single preview or review, or they just plainly failed to have an outstanding AI.

The AI go about their routines but they stop by to talk and converse with people on their way, sometimes they ignore the other people, it depends on static numbers. You punch an NPC in the face enough times, they'll try to kill you. You punch the NPC in the face once, they'll remember it and another shot would make them go and kill you. This was an attempt to bring some community realism to the game with AI that actually act like people, but they don't really.

This game is sounding more like The Sims with concept heading towards what Oblivion was trying to do. Oblivion without the medieval fighting and adventuring. Sounds pretty bad to me.

I loved Oblivion yes it's a great game but I guess I simply didn't realize that was in the game. Of course I knew that if you hit a guy a few times he would try and kill me but that's basically the same way it is withmost other games.

Honestly it's way to early to say what this game is. There are not even any screens released for it. The only thing that can be said right now is that it has monsters, a community, and great AI on the NPCs.

Moon_of_Majora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 Moon_of_Majora
Member since 2006 • 6065 Posts
[QUOTE="NobuoMusicMaker"][QUOTE="Firelore29"]

Firelore29

I loved Oblivion yes it's a great game but I guess I simply didn't realize that was in the game. Of course I knew that if you hit a guy a few times he would try and kill me but that's basically the same way it is withmost other games.

Honestly it's way to early to say what this game is. There are not even any screens released for it. The only thing that can be said right now is that it has monsters, a community, and great AI on the NPCs.

And it's being made by the makers of Hotel Dusk, Harvest Moon, Final Fantasy XII, and Dragon Quest VIII so it can't be that bad, right? >_>

Saxsoon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Saxsoon
Member since 2007 • 1021 Posts
At first I thought I was reading a description for the Sims, but the monsters part caught my eye and a post a few up did as well. I am kind of interested in this game.
Avatar image for Bill_McBlumpkin
Bill_McBlumpkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bill_McBlumpkin
Member since 2007 • 1001 Posts

I read it... but what do you actually do? What's the jist of the game?

Great AI is nice and all... but uh.... What exactly is the point?

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
So, what do you do in the game? Kill NPC's girlfriends so you can talk to them about it later?Jandurin
They actually didnt say in the article wht type of game it was... :? so i'll assume they dont know either.
Eponique

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Eponique

[QUOTE="Jandurin"]So, what do you do in the game? Kill NPC's girlfriends so you can talk to them about it later?helium_flash
They actually didnt say in the article wht type of game it was... :? so i'll assume they dont know either.

Life Simulator with a little monsters and action/adventure thrown in.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#33 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts

interesting. sorta like a populous or sim city crossed with the sims.

helium_flash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#34 helium_flash
Member since 2007 • 9244 Posts
Anyway, i dont really care what it is. The Wii needs more original games. Most of the games announced for it are sequels, spin-offs or games directed completely towards casuals. I'm looking forward to this.
Grodus5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Grodus5
Member since 2006 • 7934 Posts
[QUOTE="Firelore29"]

NobuoMusicMaker

Hahahahaha! You've never played Oblivion have you. Last time I checked as soon as you punch someone in the face they attack you.

On topic. This game sounds really interesting. And very advanced for a Wii game. So much for its lack of power.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#36 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
[QUOTE="Firelore29"]

NobuoMusicMaker

in terms of just AI the Sims had much better AI than oblivion. the punching thing you mentioned isn't even difficult to do. it's hardly even real AI.