Price Drop coming for the PS3 ........

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 JDW_games
Member since 2006 • 1892 Posts
http://www.gameinformer.com/News/
JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 JDW_games
As soon as they drop to $500 I'll be picking mine up :) I'm still lovin my PS2, but I'm ready for a PS3 soon.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#3 cakeorrdeath
Member since 2006 • 19079 Posts
Production cost drop, not price drop.
Danm_999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4 Danm_999
Member since 2003 • 13924 Posts

Production cost drop, not price drop.cakeorrdeath

What he said, and isn't a price drop not in the cards until 2008 at least? 

JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 JDW_games
Production cost drop = Price drop. It's definitely coming because Sony will turn up the heat for the fall and holiday sales competitions.
cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 cakeorrdeath

Production cost drop = Price drop. It's definitely coming because Sony will turn up the heat for the fall and holiday sales competitions. JDW_games

Maybe, maybe not, just speculation at this stage. 360 production drop has dropped significantly since launch. Still no price drop.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
"The PlayStation 3 console could see a price drop in production due to the fact that the blue-laser pick-up heads are becoming more prevalent and cheaper in price. According to a report in the Digitimes, Taiwan-based component and console makers are saying the production costs could drop as much as $100.00.

Whether or not this will translate in price drops for each of the consoles is unknown at this point."

It could see a price drop. No official confirmation. Anyway, I'm expecting one before KZ/GTAIV/HS release.

cakeorrdeath

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 cakeorrdeath

It could see a price drop. No official confirmation. Anyway, I'm expecting one before KZ/GTAIV/HS release.

the-very-best

WHy would they drop it as big titles are being released? That would be like the 360 dropping the price just before Halo.

the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts
[QUOTE="the-very-best"]

cakeorrdeath

WHy would they drop it as big titles are being released? That would be like the 360 dropping the price just before Halo.

Yeah, MS should do that. 

JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JDW_games
Because it would equal huge sales. I look for the price drop around November.
cjnwo4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11 cjnwo4life
Member since 2007 • 1587 Posts

Don't expect a price cut. All because production cost have been limited does not mean they will lower the cost for you since they are still losing money on each ps3 sold. If they turn around and cut the cost to the consumer, then they will be right back where they were before, loosing way to much per unit sold.

Don't expect a cut until Q2-3 of 2008.

Avatar image for FrenziedRaldo24
FrenziedRaldo24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 FrenziedRaldo24
Member since 2005 • 9054 Posts
When Sony drops the price of PS3 by $50, Microsoft will drop the price of the 360 by $100
SergeantSnitch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 SergeantSnitch
Member since 2007 • 3692 Posts
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"][QUOTE="the-very-best"]

the-very-best

Yeah, MS should do that.

True, although you really could look at it from two perspectives.  Drop the price before the heavy hitters come, people freak out and buy your console (while moving extra hardware units).  Or, you can release your flagship titles, people instinctively buy the 360 at the higher price...more profit.  Either way Sony/MS makes money.
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts
[QUOTE="the-very-best"]

cakeorrdeath

Dropping the price before Halo 3 comes out is smart. More focus on the 360 with Halo 3 along side it. I said it before, it they dropped the price this Q4 and bundled it with Halo 3 etc... it would be a huge deal IMO and cause even more 360's to be bought. And it will force Sony to drop their price sooner and cause them to loose even more money 

kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts
[QUOTE="the-very-best"][QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"][QUOTE="the-very-best"]

SergeantSnitch

Yeah, MS should do that.

True, although you really could look at it from two perspectives. Drop the price before the heavy hitters come, people freak out and buy your console (while moving extra hardware units). Or, you can release your flagship titles, people instinctively buy the 360 at the higher price...more profit. Either way Sony/MS makes money.

For MS I would think moving systems is more imporant then more profit on each console sold. And again with the price drop it will make the PS3 look even more expensive... 

greg_splicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 greg_splicer
Member since 2007 • 2053 Posts

As soon as they drop to $500 I'll be picking mine up :) I'm still lovin my PS2, but I'm ready for a PS3 soon. JDW_games

400$ for me only

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

Production cost drop = Price drop. It's definitely coming because Sony will turn up the heat for the fall and holiday sales competitions. JDW_games

Actually, Sony has said time and again that they are happy with the price point of the PS3 at this stage, and they don't expect a drop until 2009.

Also, the PS3 is not exactly dying. It is selling around the same pace (worldwide) as the 360, so there is not a lot of incentive to drop the price, whereas there is incentive to keep the price the same (to recoop some of the losses that Sony took on the initial hardware). 

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#18 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts

MS has perfectly positioned the x360 this gen to counter any price drop the PS3 receives. Basically negating any move by Sony.

evilbarbarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 evilbarbarian
Member since 2005 • 3883 Posts
Hopefully, because that's most likely when I'll be getting one.
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 SpruceCaboose

MS has perfectly positioned the x360 this gen to counter any price drop the PS3 receives. Basically negating any move by Sony.

LosDaddie

People who don't care about the 360 won't care what its price drops to as long as the PS3s price drops as well. Not everyone judges the consoles based off each other, and not everyone only buys one system. 

LosDaddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 57

#21 LosDaddie
Member since 2006 • 10318 Posts
[QUOTE="LosDaddie"]

SpruceCaboose

People who don't care about the 360 won't care what its price drops to as long as the PS3s price drops as well. Not everyone judges the consoles based off each other, and not everyone only buys one system. 

I agree to a point. I believe people/gamers follow game franchises more than the logo on the console. I think a ton of gamers are waiting for a console that has a  GTA and a Madden/FIFA/PES on it before they convert.

Also, I don't believe there are going to me a large number of mulit-console gamers until there are a few price drops.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SpruceCaboose
[QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]People who don't care about the 360 won't care what its price drops to as long as the PS3s price drops as well. Not everyone judges the consoles based off each other, and not everyone only buys one system.

LosDaddie

I agree to a point. I believe people/gamers follow game franchises more than the logo on the console. I think a ton of gamers are waiting for a console that has a GTA and a Madden/FIFA/PES on it before they convert.

Also, I don't believe there are going to me a large number of mulit-console gamers until there are a few price drops.

And I agree to a point.:D

My only thing is many casual gamers have come to know the Playstation name, and to them, it is synonomous with gaming. When they decide to go "next gen" (as many still have PS2/Xbox), are they going to flock to the name Playstation, or are they going to choose the cheaper option for GTA IV? It will be interesting to see how it plays out, and how the two companies try to drive up the sales. 

Supafly1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Supafly1
Member since 2003 • 4441 Posts

Not yet. They are still loosing money on every PS3 so I doubt they would do a price cut. 

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
Read the article better...
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 HuusAsking
Member since 2006 • 15270 Posts
[QUOTE="LosDaddie"][QUOTE="SpruceCaboose"]People who don't care about the 360 won't care what its price drops to as long as the PS3s price drops as well. Not everyone judges the consoles based off each other, and not everyone only buys one system.

SpruceCaboose

I agree to a point. I believe people/gamers follow game franchises more than the logo on the console. I think a ton of gamers are waiting for a console that has a GTA and a Madden/FIFA/PES on it before they convert.

And I agree to a point.:D

My only thing is many casual gamers have come to know the Playstation name, and to them, it is synonomous with gaming. When they decide to go "next gen" (as many still have PS2/Xbox), are they going to flock to the name Playstation, or are they going to choose the cheaper option for GTA IV? It will be interesting to see how it plays out, and how the two companies try to drive up the sales. 

Well, brand name loyalty can change. Just ten years ago, people equated Nintendo with gaming.
Tjeremiah1988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tjeremiah1988
Member since 2003 • 16665 Posts
even if @ 500 i still wont buy it.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="JDW_games"]Production cost drop = Price drop. It's definitely coming because Sony will turn up the heat for the fall and holiday sales competitions. Supafly1

Not yet. They are still loosing money on every PS3 so I doubt they would do a price cut. 

Especially considering any cut Sony makes Microsoft can meet or beat. Remember, the 360 is basically in the black and Microsoft could afford a reduced revenue per console or even a brief trip back in the red if it moved more 360 and (more importantly) created more defections.
thinicer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 thinicer
Member since 2006 • 3704 Posts

I don't think that Sony wants to keep losing money on every PS3 made. You cannot assume that they will drop the price just because they become cheaper to make, not if it means Sony continuing to take a loss on each PS3.

The PS3 is still selling. It's not flying off shelves or anything, but it is still moving along and I can only see a big reactive price cut  occuring if the console is selling like the Xbox 360 is in Japan, or if Microsoft suddenly lowers the price of the Xbox 360. Since neither scenario is occuring right now, I fully expect Sony to continue to price the console at $599 until production costs of the console come way down, so much so that they will easily be able to absorb a price cut. But that situation has not yet happened, and probably will not happen until 2008.

The thing is, even when Sony drops the price the PS3 is still going to be somewhat expensive. It will always be a great value, but I don't think consumers are yet comfortable with a $499 video game console. $200-$300 is still the niche market price. It will be interesting to see what happens when the Premium 360 enters that price range.

Avatar image for taylormadederek
taylormadederek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#29 taylormadederek
Member since 2007 • 1136 Posts

They will not drop the price of a system that sells. Not until they want to expand the market. Sure you can say that PS3 sales are not as good as they might want them to be or the same as the Wii's. But if you take the revenue made by PS3, Wii, and 360 you will see that they are very close. Sony only has to sell 1/3 as many consoles as Nintendo to take in the same amount of money. Sure Nintendo makes a profit on each console and Sony loses this is just another way to look @ it. PS2 was $399 when it release? I think? That was a lot of money back then and people said "no way" but those people are only the one that talk the loudest they are not the ones that have the money. Once again I will show you all this site for how a company will base price and market share over time. I am sure that all consoles will be very close in the end (Japan the exception for 360).

http://www.mitsue.co.jp/english/case/concept/02.html

dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 dhjohns
Member since 2003 • 5105 Posts

What is your title at Sony?  Just curious as you seem to be making decisions for them. :roll: 

blacktorn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#31 blacktorn
Member since 2004 • 8299 Posts
I wouldn't expect one this year,there will Be one next year though for sure.
Darthmatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 Darthmatt
Member since 2002 • 8970 Posts

[QUOTE="JDW_games"]Production cost drop = Price drop. It's definitely coming because Sony will turn up the heat for the fall and holiday sales competitions. Supafly1

Exactly. The whole point of lowering production costs is to increase proffit margin. A Price cut following a production cost cut would make that null. Besides, MS has an ace up their sleave in the form of a 360 price cut. If Sony cuts the PS3 price, I expect MS to counter.
Toaster_Cell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Toaster_Cell
Member since 2006 • 3062 Posts
we can only hope...
Riverwolf007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Riverwolf007
Member since 2005 • 26023 Posts
A price drop is no longer enough for me I am waiting for rumble to be reintroduced before I buy one.
greenleaf2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 greenleaf2000
Member since 2006 • 1259 Posts
A price drop at the end of this year would be genius
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HuusAsking

They will not drop the price of a system that sells. Not until they want to expand the market. Sure you can say that PS3 sales are not as good as they might want them to be or the same as the Wii's. But if you take the revenue made by PS3, Wii, and 360 you will see that they are very close. Sony only has to sell 1/3 as many consoles as Nintendo to take in the same amount of money. Sure Nintendo makes a profit on each console and Sony loses this is just another way to look @ it. PS2 was $399 when it release? I think? That was a lot of money back then and people said "no way" but those people are only the one that talk the loudest they are not the ones that have the money. Once again I will show you all this site for how a company will base price and market share over time. I am sure that all consoles will be very close in the end (Japan the exception for 360).

http://www.mitsue.co.jp/english/case/concept/02.html

taylormadederek
Eventually, the PS2 became $299, which matched the launch price of the PS1. At that point, people made comparisons and found the PS2 appealing. But the real magic came when it hit $199.
taylormadederek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 taylormadederek
This is right. This is the same thing that will happen again. Branding is very important and as much as I don't like Sony as a company they are "The Brand" right now for gaming. I enjoy all the consoles from all companies....ligit ones...no ngage crap. Listen to what his man says!
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 HuusAsking
This is right. This is the same thing that will happen again. Branding is very important and as much as I don't like Sony as a company they are "The Brand" right now for gaming. I enjoy all the consoles from all companies....ligit ones...no ngage crap. Listen to what his man says!taylormadederek
Brand name loyalty can change. Just ten years ago people equated "Nintendo" with home gaming.
JDW_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 JDW_games
What's the difference between buying a 360 Elite which is like $470 and a PS3 that will be around $500 in the near future? Not much. I'll pay the $30 extra bucks for the Blu Ray and games like Metal Gear and Resistence.
StealthSting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 StealthSting
Member since 2006 • 6915 Posts
*Sees threads title*  :D ............. :) ............ :(  They better do it soon do to this.
taylormadederek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 taylormadederek
This is very true but it is hard to break a brand. If the company does release a bad product or an unpopular product then that can do it. However Sony has its hands into everything. Much harder brand to damage. Don't get me wrong...I think that there brand is crap. I have had a number of different products from them and they all break....bad quality...but not in consumer minds I guess. Can you say "Disc Read Error".......sigh.
Chris-Hansen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Chris-Hansen
Member since 2007 • 685 Posts

[QUOTE="JDW_games"]Production cost drop = Price drop. It's definitely coming because Sony will turn up the heat for the fall and holiday sales competitions. cakeorrdeath

Maybe, maybe not, just speculation at this stage. 360 production drop has dropped significantly since launch. Still no price drop.

5 and half billion in debt much ?
neogeo419

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 neogeo419
Member since 2006 • 1474 Posts
What's the difference between buying a 360 Elite which is like $470 and a PS3 that will be around $500 in the near future? Not much. I'll pay the $30 extra bucks for the Blu Ray and games like Metal Gear and Resistence. JDW_games
So you think MS would not drop elite to $380 if sony did that. You are a hopeless fakeboy.
Yellow_Rose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Yellow_Rose
Member since 2002 • 16739 Posts
[QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]

[QUOTE="JDW_games"]Production cost drop = Price drop. It's definitely coming because Sony will turn up the heat for the fall and holiday sales competitions. Chris-Hansen

DEBT: (n)/ money or goods or services owed by one person to another.

Who does MS owe?  Themselves? :|

AgentVX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 AgentVX
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts

In the mean time, the 360 will stay the same price.  I mean, Why on earth would you drop your price when they are owning the PS3 in sales?

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 HuusAsking
This is very true but it is hard to break a brand. If the company does release a bad product or an unpopular product then that can do it. However Sony has its hands into everything. Much harder brand to damage. Don't get me wrong...I think that there brand is crap. I have had a number of different products from them and they all break....bad quality...but not in consumer minds I guess. Can you say "Disc Read Error".......sigh.taylormadederek
In other realms of electronics, Sony sits in the unhappy medium. They can't be considered cheap like the Wal-Mart brands, yet they're not high enough quality to be considered with some of the big boys like Pioneer and Infinity. Most of them are in fact in the red. What's helping them out at the moment is the TV division: mostly due to more people making the HDTV jump before the analog cutoff in 2009.
HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 HuusAsking
[QUOTE="Chris-Hansen"][QUOTE="cakeorrdeath"]

[QUOTE="JDW_games"]Production cost drop = Price drop. It's definitely coming because Sony will turn up the heat for the fall and holiday sales competitions. Yellow_Rose

DEBT: (n)/ money or goods or services owed by one person to another.

Who does MS owe?  Themselves? :|

Well, any company can have its share of active liabilities (loans from banks, bonds, etc.), but Microsoft is financially strong because it can cover all its liabilities if necessary (their cash hoard alone can probably cover any outstanding debts).
dhjohns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 dhjohns
Member since 2003 • 5105 Posts

What's the difference between buying a 360 Elite which is like $470 and a PS3 that will be around $500 in the near future? Not much. I'll pay the $30 extra bucks for the Blu Ray and games like Metal Gear and Resistence. JDW_games

Sorry the PS3 is $600 and a price drop is not coming in the near future.

HuusAsking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HuusAsking

[QUOTE="JDW_games"]Production cost drop = Price drop. It's definitely coming because Sony will turn up the heat for the fall and holiday sales competitions. AgentVX

In the mean time, the 360 will stay the same price.  I mean, Why on earth would you drop your price when they are owning the PS3 in sales?

More than likely if Sony even hints of a price drop, Microsoft will beat them to it. 1) They can better afford to do it. 2) Doing so can cause more defections from Sony, meaning more revenue for MS and less for Sony.