Prediction: The Last of Us 2 will get an 8/10 on Gamespot - too much violence, lol.

• 110 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 VirusVaccine21
Member since 2020 • 748 Posts

Holy damn, while most publications are posting their preview of TLOU2 giving it incredible praise (90+ confirmed metacritic) Gamespot's preview literally only talks about how the game is too violent and makes the reviewer feel uncomfortable. I don't think I've ever seen this complaint before. The funny thing is that the violence seems realistic as it should be, not forced but somehow Gamespot feels sensitive about it, lo.

The melee combat feels incredibly good, but it's hard not to wince when you slam a machete into a person's shoulder or take them down with a knife to the side of the head. The damage modelling is satisfying, but there's always going to be a shock when someone's head shatters from a rifle shot or someone's skin gets melted by a Molotov cocktail. And when other enemy characters cry out the name of the guard dog you just exploded in front of them in disbelief, it's hard not to feel like a bad person

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-last-of-us-part-2-preview-shockingly-ruthless/1100-6477918/

Avatar image for deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
deactivated-5f2b4872031c2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 deactivated-5f2b4872031c2
Member since 2018 • 2683 Posts

Feeling uncomfortable is not always a bad thing. Getting shaken up can open new perspectives.

That being said, if they diss TLoU2 for too much violence it will be complete BS. The game is supposed to make you feel the weight of extreme violence. You're supposed to be bothered.

Sevenizz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3 Sevenizz
Member since 2010 • 6462 Posts

I wonder what the previewer thinks what happens to enemies in about 85% of any videogame ever?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44105 Posts

I gotta agree with GS here myself. I’ve played, and continue to play, violent games but their violence is so unrealistic and over the top. Seeing this kind of more realistic violence like in The Last of Us 2 does feel more disturbing.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#5 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69362 Posts

Gamespot reviews continue to be a useless source of information for games. Its only good for SW banter.

id_mew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 id_mew
Member since 2007 • 608 Posts

Yeah after reading the preview, I have a feeling the violence in the game will definitely affect the review from gamespot.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Fedor
Member since 2015 • 11612 Posts

"But me? I really enjoy how fluid, weighty, and well-animated the combat is in The Last of Us Part II. At the risk of sounding like a psychopath, the presentation gives every action an "oomph" so satisfying I can't bear to leave an enemy standing as a missed opportunity in the same way I can't leave a stone unturned during exploration. I love the act of throwing a brick at an enemy or shooting them in the leg to stun them, and then sprinting in to finish them off with a big hit. I love the satisfaction of attracting a patrol to a certain location and then landing a particularly opportune Molotov cocktail. I like going toe-to-toe with a hulking melee enemy so I can make Ellie perfectly dodge their every strike and give them a death by a thousand switchblade cuts."

Did you purposely not quote this part? Sounds like he's all for it.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VirusVaccine21

@id_mew said:

Yeah after reading the preview, I have a feeling the violence in the game will definitely affect the review from gamespot.

The funny thing is that the thing most people thought would be a negative to the game - the story, is getting massive praise. However, looking at Metacritic Gamespot is the only previewer that is being negative. I smell 8/10, seriously.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By VirusVaccine21
@fedor said:

"But me? I really enjoy how fluid, weighty, and well-animated the combat is in The Last of Us Part II. At the risk of sounding like a psychopath, the presentation gives every action an "oomph" so satisfying I can't bear to leave an enemy standing as a missed opportunity in the same way I can't leave a stone unturned during exploration. I love the act of throwing a brick at an enemy or shooting them in the leg to stun them, and then sprinting in to finish them off with a big hit. I love the satisfaction of attracting a patrol to a certain location and then landing a particularly opportune Molotov cocktail. I like going toe-to-toe with a hulking melee enemy so I can make Ellie perfectly dodge their every strike and give them a death by a thousand switchblade cuts."

Did you purposely not quote this part? Sounds like he's all for it.

There are good quotes, but come on. Look at the whole preview, 50% of the whole text talks about how violent the game is. It's an obsession with the previewer when it shouldn't be.

I winced the first time I saw that scene during my own playthrough of the game, and I winced when I saw it again during the State of Play. Not just because I was bummed about the loss of a fellow PS Vita appreciator, and not just because the violence was so shocking and ruthless (I mean, I'm also playing a ton of Mortal Kombat 11: Aftermath now so a simple throat-stab is probably something I can handle). It's the way the kill was choreographed and framed to be so cold and understated that made it feel almost nauseating. The close-up, the gurgles, the way the camera lingers after the stab really made me squirm in my seat. They're really going to devote this much gory detail to the death of a super minor character? A big part of why it felt so uncomfortable is because it was an ice-cold move from Ellie, a character who I first knew and still kinda see in my mind as a young, relatively innocent teenager. But at this point in The Last of Us Part II, she's obviously not the same person--she's seen a lot of shit. And I mean a lot of shit.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Fedor

@virusvaccine21: I did read the whole article, thats how I found this. Either you didn't or you're being disengenuous. That paragraph pretty much kills the narrative of your OP.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Honestly the first game was the most violent game I had ever played. Not due to the gore, but because of the realism. It's a dark and heavy story. The second looks to be going even further. I don't feel like going through it again. That's why I'm not buying the sequel.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 VirusVaccine21

@fedor said:

@virusvaccine21: I did read the whole article, thats how I found this. Either you didn't or you're being disengenuous. That paragraph pretty much kills the narrative of your OP.

No it doesn't. 1 paragraph doesn't change the countless amount of times the preview mentions how the violence bothers them or did you just skip reading the paragraph I just literally posted where he says it makes him uncomfortable?

pelvist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#14 pelvist
Member since 2010 • 9001 Posts

I recon its at least 9 for the lesbians and PS exclusive no matter how shit the game is.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Fedor

@virusvaccine21 said:
@fedor said:

No it doesn't. 1 paragraph doesn't change the countless amount of times the preview mentions how the violence bothers them or did you just skip reading the paragraph I just literally posted where he says it makes him uncomfortable?

Yes it does. The quote I posted directly contradicts your narrative.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 VirusVaccine21

@fedor said:
@virusvaccine21 said:
@fedor said:

Okay, bro whatever. This isn't going anywhere.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 VirusVaccine21
@pelvist said:

I recon its at least 9 for the lesbians and PS exclusive no matter how shit the game is.

According to most previews the story is amazing, graphics among the best, the combat near perfect- the game isn't shit. However, white hetero bigots won't like it, so just don't buy it.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Fedor

@virusvaccine21 said:
@fedor said:
@virusvaccine21 said:
@fedor said:

I know it's not, because after that quote it's /thread. All this thread is going to prove is how many people don't read articles before posting, that and their lack of reading comprehension.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By VirusVaccine21

@fedor said:
@virusvaccine21 said:
@fedor said:
@virusvaccine21 said:

I know it's not, because after that quote it's /thread. All this thread is going to prove is how many people don't read articles before posting, that and their lack of reading comprehension.

Again, you're wrong. I posted two paragraphs to prove you wrong, but you have your own narrative hence why this isn't going anywhere. You lack reading comprehension, not me. You're the only one on this thread that seems to lack brain cells, everyone else agrees with what I said with the article.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Fedor

@virusvaccine21 said:
@fedor said:
@virusvaccine21 said:
@fedor said:
@virusvaccine21 said:

Again, you're wrong. I posted two paragraphs to prove you wrong, but you have your own narrative hence why this isn't going anywhere. You lack reading comprehension, not me.

You were very easily refuted :)

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 VirusVaccine21

@fedor said:
@virusvaccine21 said:
@fedor said:
@virusvaccine21 said:
@fedor said:

Again, you're wrong. I posted two paragraphs to prove you wrong, but you have your own narrative hence why this isn't going anywhere. You lack reading comprehension, not me.

You were very easily refuted :)

Nah, you just lack reading comprehension.

tormentos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 tormentos
Member since 2003 • 33784 Posts

Great 8 is the new 9 this gen ask lemmings.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Call me crazy ... but i almost want this to happend ... GS reviews have been a joke since the sensitive crew took over ... and this would be the final nail ... not to mentions the meltdowns would be incredible ... in other words, it would make this place far more interesting for a few weeks ...

So yeah, let's go GameSpot, let your woke/over sensitive/political correctness agenda finally takes over and give The Last of Us an 8 because of how violent the game is.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Fedor

@virusvaccine21: Lol, why don't you @ the author and ask him about your concerns then?

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 VirusVaccine21

@fedor said:

@virusvaccine21: Lol, why don't you @ the author and ask him about your concerns then?

Thanks, I did.

Fedor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Fedor

@virusvaccine21 said:
@fedor said:

Thanks, I did.

You haven't. You have to actually @ him. You could go to twitter too, I eagerly await his response.

Avatar image for deactivated-6068afec1b77d
deactivated-6068afec1b77d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By deactivated-6068afec1b77d
Member since 2017 • 2539 Posts

It mostly has to do with the author, the person who wrote the preview and not necessarily Gamespot. Maybe, next time you should ask a different person who has a tough-skin to violence to review the game.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 VirusVaccine21

@watercrack445 said:

It mostly has to do with the author, the person who wrote the preview and not necessarily Gamespot. Maybe, next time you should ask a different person who has a tough-skin to violence to review the game.

Lol, this. I can just imagine the meltdown if it scores an 8/10. To be honest, reading other previews the game is getting insane ammount of praise.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Archangel3371

I can’t imagine the level of impotent nerd rage one must have to get so upset over a preview of a game that you think might score only one point lower then what most other people might score it. Yikes.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By VirusVaccine21

@Archangel3371 said:

I can’t imagine the level of impotent nerd rage one must have to get so upset over a preview of a game that you think might score only one point lower then what most other people might score it. Yikes.

Bro get over it, this is System Wars, that's the whole point of this board to get angry over a point lower and what not - flops and what not.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Archangel3371

@virusvaccine21: Sorry but that excuse won’t prevent me from pointing at people like this and laughing at all it’s ridiculousness.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 VirusVaccine21

@Archangel3371 said:

@virusvaccine21: Sorry but that excuse won’t prevent me from pointing at people like this and laughing at all it’s glorious ridiculousness.

Still triggered over calling you out for your inane post on the other thread? Get over it.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Archangel3371

@virusvaccine21: Umm, no. I’m not entirely sure what you’re referring to. Perhaps you should get over it though. 😅

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 VirusVaccine21

@Archangel3371 said:

@virusvaccine21: Umm, no. I’m not entirely sure what you’re referring to. Perhaps you should get over it though. 😅

I was never in it to begin with.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Archangel3371

@virusvaccine21: Well you’re the one who accused me of still being triggered by some previous interaction with you so...... 😅

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 VirusVaccine21

@Archangel3371 said:

@virusvaccine21: Well you’re the one who accused me of still being triggered by some previous interaction with you so...... 😅

Bro, relax. Let it go.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Archangel3371

@virusvaccine21: I am relaxed. You’re the one who keeps trying to call me out on something so perhaps you should let it go. 😅

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 VirusVaccine21

@Archangel3371 said:

@virusvaccine21: I am relaxed. You’re the one who keeps trying to call me out on something so perhaps you should let it go. 😅

It's okay, bro. Let it go, we're done here.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Archangel3371

@virusvaccine21: Like I said before I have nothing to “let go of” however if you want to be done with this conversation then by all means stop @ ing me. 😅

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#40 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69362 Posts

Now there is Shouldergate for TLOU 2.🤣😂

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 VirusVaccine21

@Archangel3371 said:

@virusvaccine21: Like I said before I have nothing to “let go of” however if you want to be done with this conversation then by all means stop @ ing me. 😅

You quoted me first, so let it go. Get over it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5f381b7b4ba30
Member since 2019 • 1049 Posts

Neil went abit OTT with the torture porn in TLoU2. I mean who would find enjoyment in smashing a pregnant womans face into the ground repeatedly? I don't think even Hatred went that far.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#43 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38713 Posts

If this game doesn't get high scores and sell poorly because of voilence, that would be so disappointing. I would LOVE to see a Fallout game this savage and realistic.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#44  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I think a game can be too violent to someone's tastes. From what I've seen this game will be markedly more violent (in a this will make you uncomfortable way) than the previous one. I could see that turn some people away or excite people because we don't see that very often. That's one of those things that bothers some and doesn't bother others.

DrLostRib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 DrLostRib
Member since 2017 • 5931 Posts

well the last one got 8/10 as well

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Archangel3371

@virusvaccine21: No I didn’t. Boy you must be triggered af right now. 😅

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#47 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38713 Posts

@KungfuKitten said:

I think a game can be too violent to someone's tastes. From what I've seen this game will be markedly more violent (in a this will make you uncomfortable way) than the previous one. I could see that turn some people away or excite people because we don't see that very often. That's one of those things that bothers some and doesn't bother others.

At least it will make you feel something, not like all those generic shits such as Anthem, etc.

blueinheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#48 blueinheaven
Member since 2008 • 5554 Posts

People who don't know their own minds worry about review scores. Wait this didn't get a 9, does that mean I won't like it as much as I thought I was going to? What about that other game that got 9? That must be better, right?

I have zero interest in this game since they brought in someone to have massive input who knows literally nothing at all about videogames, but if you're interested in The SJW Agenda Of Us 2, watch some video reviews so you can see the game and get the reviewers thoughts then right at the end turn it off quickly and make your mind up based on what you saw.

That way you won't have a f***ing fit if the game doesn't get 9 or 10 and you can pretend it got a 10 in your head if that works for you, you friggin idiot.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 VirusVaccine21

@Archangel3371 said:

@virusvaccine21: No I didn’t. Boy you must be triggered af right now. 😅

I'm not triggered, just don't know why you don't let it go. Like bro, I told you it's all fine. Move along.

VirusVaccine21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 VirusVaccine21

@blueinheaven said:

People who don't know their own minds worry about review scores. Wait this didn't get a 9, does that mean I won't like it as much as I thought I was going to? What about that other game that got 9? That must be better, right?

I have zero interest in this game since they brought in someone to have massive input who knows literally nothing at all about videogames, but if you're interested in The SJW Agenda Of Us 2, watch some video reviews so you can see the game and get the reviewers thoughts then right at the end turn it off quickly and make your mind up based on what you saw.

That way you won't have a f***ing fit if the game doesn't get 9 or 10 and you can pretend it got a 10 in your head if that works for you, you friggin idiot.

Take your meds.