Prediction: Microsoft will ditch Xbox Series S and come out with a DIgital edition with equivalent power as Series X

hdb_withab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 hdb_withab
Member since 2020 • 44 Posts

within 3 years from now.

If I fail in this prediction, I will accept a permanent ban from this discussion board.

madrocketeer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -6

User Lists: 0

#2 madrocketeer
Member since 2005 • 10589 Posts

Yeah, kinda agree. I know why Microsoft are doing the Series S; to push for scaling which is at the heart of their business model. A budget console makes sense in the context of this push, and is a rational purchase for consumers.

Unfortunately for Microsoft, humans are not rational animals. I think people are going to be surprised at how poorly the Series S will sell, even compared to the Series X.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69427 Posts

MS cannot abandon the Series S. They have already put it out in the wild and there are no backsies.

Also, you don't need another Alt. Aren't you tired of being a loser that keeps creating Alts?

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

I do expect them to release a disc-less SeX but not ditch the SeS.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17423 Posts

I would caution OP (and people like him) that SW is not a reflection of the sentiment in the real world.

People buying the Series S............much like budget cell phones..............dont care about 4K or ray tracing or having the best, etc.

Series S will outsell the Series X and PS5 regular just like the PS5 digital will outsell the PS5 and Series X.

There are a ton of people who just want the new console, who cant afford 500 and new release games. I was one of those kids growing up.

Given the option, I would have LOVED for a cheap box and game pass back then.

Series S isnt for SW or any other hardcore or "regular" gamer

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 JoshRMeyer
Member since 2015 • 12571 Posts

They could already release a discless version with a 512gb ssd, and sell it for $299 ($100 for disc drive + $100 ssd space). Series S is way overpriced.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Pedro

@joshrmeyer said:

They could already release a discless version with a 512gb ssd, and sell it for $299 ($100 for disc drive + $100 ssd space). Series S is way overpriced.

Don't be silly.

BlackShirt20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 BlackShirt20
Member since 2005 • 2631 Posts

@hdb_withab: Your 50% correct.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By JoshRMeyer

@navyguy21: I think those people you are talking about want a console with a disc drive. You save a bunch of money trading games in, selling them to friends, borrowing friends discs, and buying used.

Edit: And also BC will be big next gen. If you're currently a physical disc gamer, you're gonna want that disc drive.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Pedro

@joshrmeyer said:

@navyguy21: I think those people you are talking about want a console with a disc drive. You save a bunch of money trading games in, selling them to friends, borrowing friends discs, and buying used.

Edit: And also BC will be big next gen. If you're currently a physical disc gamer, you're gonna want that disc drive.

Disc sales have been decreasing steadily over the years, so I find it hard to believe that casual gamers are favoring disc in an age where most consumers buy digital.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15913 Posts

@Pedro said:
@joshrmeyer said:

Disc sales have been decreasing steadily over the years, so I find it hard to believe that casual gamers are favoring disc in an age where most consumers buy digital.

Those collector editions and steelcase dont come digitally.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JoshRMeyer

@Pedro: How is that silly? The GPU alone is probably a few hundred dollars difference, $100 less for discless drive, $100 less for SSD space, whatever RAM costs (probably at least $50), Slightly slower CPU(no price difference), etc.

It could be priced at $199 and still be overpriced compared to ps5 and XSX.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

@Pedro said:
@joshrmeyer said:

Exactly and people these days are far more accustomed to streaming/downloading digital content rather than own physical media.

navyguy21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 navyguy21
Member since 2003 • 17423 Posts

@joshrmeyer said:

I think you misunderstood my post because you have it completely backwards.

Sure, hardcare or regular gamers might prefer to have a disc drive but casuals are who are driving the shift to digital.

Thats why Gamestop is dying, those moms would rather have their kids download games.

Just look at XBL and PSN digital to physical breakdowns.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 JoshRMeyer

@Pedro: Sure disc sales have been decreasing. But if you're on such a tight budget that you have to get a Series S, you'd be better off getting the Series X and continue using discs for the reasons I already said. I like the convenience of digital but I can also see that it's not for someone on a really tight budget.

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 JoshRMeyer

@navyguy21: Sounded like you were talking about poor gamers. Guess everyone has different circumstances.

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

I sure do hope so. A next console that couldn't even run DMC 5 with ray tracing is pretty embarrassing

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Pedro

@joshrmeyer said:

@Pedro: Sure disc sales have been decreasing. But if you're on such a tight budget that you have to get a Series S, you'd be better off getting the Series X and continue using discs for the reasons I already said. I like the convenience of digital but I can also see that it's not for someone on a really tight budget.

People keep talking about tight budget for the Series S as the core market, which I believe is false. The Series S is for the folks who generally don't care about the majority of things people talk about on the forums. Casual gamers. Casual gamers are not the game traders. Those are hardcore gamers on a budget. Don't confuse to two demographics. All of this while ignoring the shit trade in value of games.

@sakaixx said:

Those collector editions and steelcase dont come digitally.

If you are collector, you would not be buying a Series S or PS5 Digital. Stop creating these fake scenarios.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#20 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5247 Posts

I thought that System Wars bets are things of the past. They used to be common several years back before GameSpot changed the forums for the worse.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

they may release an all digital series x but the S wont be ditched.....MS studio games will be 1080-1440p 60-120 with full/some RT,faster loading times,quick resume and HDR 10,dolby vision and auto hdr

exactly what it says on the box

MS has no say on what 3rd party bring to the table...you do know that right?....RIGHT?

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44049 Posts

XSS is here to stay and will be a boon for MS... Bank!!!

Next year it will be a $199.99 console. Phony and Nintendont are toast. lol :P

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 JoshRMeyer

@SecretPolice: That's sad when your console that you expect to sell well drops in price by a third in it's first year.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SecretPolice

@joshrmeyer:

Perhaps sad for their competitors but not for MS, who is "planning" to sell at a lower price, not forced to sell at lower price.

Yuuuge dif mah friend. :P

JoshRMeyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 JoshRMeyer

@SecretPolice: Well at least the console will be at the price it's actually worth. MS should do a price drop before launch and really knock it out of the park. They won't because it makes the XSX look real expensive. Which is sad because the XSX is worth every penny for what you get. Maybe they'll drop it's price too to match Sonys $399 console.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 SecretPolice

@joshrmeyer:

I do believe they already drop the price for EU. I think I read that somewhere but yeah, looks to me the bear has had enough of the poking and will strike back with a vengeance. Be afraid, be very afraid. lol :P

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

A ban for an account with 26 posts... how courageous!

shellcase86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 shellcase86
Member since 2012 • 6847 Posts

@SecretPolice said:

XSS is here to stay and will be a boon for MS... Bank!!!

Next year it will be a $199.99 console. Phony and Nintendont are toast. lol :P

Don't you know it!

But yeah, I could see a digital X Series within a year or two.

Gifford38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Gifford38
Member since 2020 • 7148 Posts

@Pedro said:
@joshrmeyer said:

Don't be silly.

it is not worth that much. 299 for a last gen console with a better cpu. the ps4 launched at 400.

if you look at the spec for the all digital ps5 for 100 bucks more. less ssd space, almost half the system memory, more than half the teraflops, no 4k, all of that does not = 100 bucks less. maybe 200 bucks less.

100 bucks is nothing in this world today. saving a 100 bucks is not worth what your getting as a console. Im sorry its just not. I can see if it was on par with the xbox one x gpu with the series x cpu like it has now. then it be worth 100 bucks cheaper.

but yes its to late to discontinue the series s. there already in the wild.

I think they should drop the price to 199 and make a 400 series x disc less version.

because its worth 199 compared to ps5 400 dollar console.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#30 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44140 Posts

I doubt it, not that I really care one way or the other though as my interest lies solely in the Xbox Series X that plays physical media.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

I think they'd face a big backlash if they did this so I don't think they'd do this. They are stuck with this decision. Won't be nearly as easy to forget about as Kinect.

Syn_Valence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Syn_Valence
Member since 2004 • 2138 Posts

I hope they don't. So all of Xbox Series X games will continue to look like dog poo because of the S.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

No they’ll do a mid gen refresh which will be faster than the X and the X will become the midrange console.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Pedro

@Zero_epyon: Their competition might beat them to the midgen upgrade like the last time.

Zero_epyon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 Zero_epyon
Member since 2004 • 20103 Posts

@Pedro: you think so? I don’t see them doing it. I’m just saying that if they are going to introduce a new box it won’t be weaker than the series x. Nothing to do with Sony.