Predict PS5 rough/ballpark/equivalent Raytracing power.

• 63 results
rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Poll Predict PS5 rough/ballpark/equivalent Raytracing power. (53 votes)

Nvidia RTX 2060 43%
RTX 2070 / 2060 Super 32%
RTX 2080 Super / 2080 / 2070 Super 15%
RTX 2080 Ti 9%

JFF. No need to bet anything.

Maybe 2070 /2060 Super?

• 
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

#51 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@Pedro: I'd be astonished if they could, but I hope AMD can close the gap... My 2080 was far too expensive, and I can't reasonably use RTX. It's basically just a performance upgrade from my 1070.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#52 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

@lundy86_4 said:

@Pedro: I'd be astonished if they could, but I hope AMD can close the gap... My 2080 was far too expensive, and I can't reasonably use RTX. It's basically just a performance upgrade from my 1070.

AMD needs to prove that they can be competitive in the GPU arena. While I like my Radeon VII, its drivers has been pissing me off as of late. Note, I only use it for production not gaming.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

@Pedro said:

AMD needs to prove that they can be competitive in the GPU arena. While I like my Radeon VII, its drivers has been pissing me off as of late. Note, I only use it for production not gaming.

Drivers were an issue back when I had my 4870, IIRC. I can't comment on production with regards to drivers, but gaming wasn't great. Largely why I went Nvidia, but they have their own problems with price/performance.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

Crytek did release a demo of their version of ray tracing(hardware agnostic) and it ran on a vega 56 with relative ease.

If next gen engines can leverage this tech, we could probably see 2080 levels of ray tracing on both consoles.

https://youtu.be/efOR92n9mms

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#55 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

@jasonofa36: The ray tracing demo from my understanding was only for reflections.

JasonOfA36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#56 JasonOfA36
Member since 2016 • 3725 Posts

@Pedro: I think it is, yeah. Crytek did say something about Total Illumination, so I dunno if this is referring to the reflections or some sort of GI implementation.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 rzxv04
Member since 2018 • 2578 Posts

@04dcarraher said:
@rzxv04 said:
@04dcarraher said:
@Martin_G_N said:

I doubt they will take that chance, but we'll see. It requires a beefy GPU to do full RT, even partial RT. The Xbox Lockhart at 4TF will not be able to do a lot of RT, even if it supports it. Lower resolution won't save it.

These consoles wont be doing full RT with the typical highly graphical focused orientated games. You will have 1 or 2 RT features at most. Also ,I suspect AMD's RDNA 2.0 will be using ML based AI upscaling to some degree. I also believe AMD's RT design will not suffer the same type of performance loss as Turing does with RT.

That'd be interesting. I was thinking that RDNA 2.0 has basically improved shaders/cus that have tiny weaker but more, amd built dedicated parts for raytracing while Nvidia has way more separate, dedicated h/w for RT (RT/Tensors).

RT on AMD will be separate dedicated hardware as well. But the major flaw in Turing is that the Shader Processors stall when RT is on. Its most likely a scheduling issue within the series. Apparently Nvidia has focused on fixing that issue with Ampere

Ah. Well, I meant the dedicated parts are less but bigger on Turing but to be honest it probably won't mean much as there are probably too many other factors. I just remember them being pointed out in some scan or render a long time ago.

Wasn't there some sort of scheduling driver update as of recent? I hope that fixes it.

Would you happen to know any sources linking this stalled shaders when rt is turned on?

Does it have anything to do with how the 1660Ti has no RT/Tensors while performing almost the same as the 2060 in raster performance while the 2060 has 25% more shaders? CUDA cores = shader cores right?

Grey_Eyed_Elf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Grey_Eyed_Elf
Member since 2011 • 7970 Posts

Didn't digital foundry based on Minecraft Ray Tracing performance of a XSX say its comparable to a RTX 2060?...

So a PS5 is like a RTX 2050 Ti if it existed in Ray Tracing performance.

Next generation games with ray tracing will have custom settings when it comes to Ray Tracing... It will be the new Lower than Lower setting when compared to PC, without a shadow of doubt.

No game shown by Sony had any obvious mind blow type of ray tracing, it was all subtle.

04dcarraher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 04dcarraher
Member since 2004 • 23829 Posts
@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

Didn't digital foundry based on Minecraft Ray Tracing performance of a XSX say its comparable to a RTX 2060?...

Next generation games with ray tracing will have custom settings when it comes to Ray Tracing... It will be the new Lower than Lower setting when compared to PC, without a shadow of doubt.

No game shown by Sony had any obvious mind blow type of ray tracing, it was all subtle.

Your forgetting the fact that DLSS is needed with the RTX 2060 to get it above 30 fps avg. XSX performance is well above 30 fps mark. DF stated that the source video was running at a much higher framerate than the what the video was encoded at. So dont sell the XSX short when it comes to RT vs mid ranged TURING. Now PS5 being a weaker and slimmer gpu its RT performance will be more limited than XSX.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By rzxv04

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

They could show me their next Uncharted and I'll just think it's gonna get downgraded again like Uncharted 4 and Last of Us 2.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61 rzxv04

@Grey_Eyed_Elf said:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_eeWr622Ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=agUPN3R2ckM

Just saw it a few days ago and I thought it was impossible for PS5 to be sub 2060 but it seems even series x is only at 1080p 30 FPS full rt mc?

With dlss it seems that 2060 can do 1080p 50-60 fps with less cpu cores.

Not sure but the xbox series x version looks worse than the pc demo with 40mins content but it could just be time of day and the df person made a very good customized demo compared to what ms shown in that 12 min df vid.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

@vfighter: "Don't care, ray tracing at the moment is just a resource hog that doesn't do enough visually to justify it."

The majority probably wouldn't notice.

rzxv04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63 rzxv04

@PSP107 said:

@vfighter: "Don't care, ray tracing at the moment is just a resource hog that doesn't do enough visually to justify it."

The majority probably wouldn't notice.

I believe it. I would have to point the rt reflections vs ssr to my friends.

Focusing on scale, density, scene complexity will probably have a more obvious positive visual impact for more people though tbf, I'm not sure how much performance benefit there would be if the rt hardware inside next gen were replaced with hardware for everything else other than rt.