Pre-holiday results betting: Can Nintendo hit their Switch projections for the FY?

Avatar image for techhog89
Posted by Techhog89 (3088 posts) 6 days, 22 hours ago

Poll: Pre-holiday results betting: Can Nintendo hit their Switch projections for the FY? (12 votes)

Only hardware (20 million) 0%
Only software (100 million) 8%
Both 75%
Neither 17%

This holiday is going to be important to Nintendo. If Switch doesn't perform very well, their stock and the value of the company will fall back down to Wii U-era levels as analysts and investors believe that Switch was a flash in the pan and won't grow without big changes (even though profit margins are still in-line with expectations).

My guess? Switch is underperforming hardware-wise in Japan right now, where it looks like it'll struggle to beat last year's numbers unless Smash does something great. The US seems to be over-performing right now though, and Europe is unknown. Software-wise, despite the claims of a massive year-long drought, it's over-performing worldwide and will smash through 100 million easily. I'd say it'll be closer to 120 million. Hardware will miss the mark by at least a million though imo.

We will revisit this in February.

Avatar image for Pedro
#1 Edited by Pedro (31962 posts) -

Both...

Avatar image for davillain-
#2 Posted by DaVillain- (32945 posts) -

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#3 Edited by KBFloYd (21052 posts) -

i have no clue how much they have sold software wise so far. hardwarewise also.

when is the deadline again?

i know nothing lol

but they let me down softwarewise for the beginning of the year. the middle was ok and the end is great. but the beginning of the year was rough for switch.

ill vote neither because im clueless on this stuff.

Avatar image for techhog89
#4 Posted by Techhog89 (3088 posts) -
@KBFloYd said:

i have no clue how much they have sold software wise so far. hardwarewise also.

when is the deadline again?

i know nothing lol

but they let me down softwarewise for the beginning of the year. the middle was ok and the end is great. but the beginning of the year was rough for switch.

ill vote neither because im clueless on this stuff.

The period is April 2018 to March 2019.

Through September 30 (first half/6 months):

Hardware: 5.07 million

Software: 42.13 million

Avatar image for KBFloYd
#5 Posted by KBFloYd (21052 posts) -

@techhog89 said:
@KBFloYd said:

i have no clue how much they have sold software wise so far. hardwarewise also.

when is the deadline again?

i know nothing lol

but they let me down softwarewise for the beginning of the year. the middle was ok and the end is great. but the beginning of the year was rough for switch.

ill vote neither because im clueless on this stuff.

The period is April 2018 to March 2019.

Through September 30 (first half/6 months):

Hardware: 5.07 million

Software: 42.13 million

hardware- 5 million? so they have to sell 15million in the next 6months? i think that one is a no

software- 42 million in 6 months? so they need 58 million in the next 6 months?

the holidays are a wild card for all this.

im terrible at predicitions. those are lofty goals. ill stick with neither. but i hope they do it :)

Avatar image for techhog89
#6 Edited by Techhog89 (3088 posts) -
@KBFloYd said:
@techhog89 said:
@KBFloYd said:

i have no clue how much they have sold software wise so far. hardwarewise also.

when is the deadline again?

i know nothing lol

but they let me down softwarewise for the beginning of the year. the middle was ok and the end is great. but the beginning of the year was rough for switch.

ill vote neither because im clueless on this stuff.

The period is April 2018 to March 2019.

Through September 30 (first half/6 months):

Hardware: 5.07 million

Software: 42.13 million

hardware- 5 million? so they have to sell 15million in the next 6months? i think that one is a no

software- 42 million in 6 months? so they need 58 million in the next 6 months?

the holidays are a wild card for all this.

im terrible at predicitions. those are lofty goals. ill stick with neither. but i hope they do it :)

Software should be easy though. You're ignoring the fact that holidays boost sales dramatically; an extra 16 million software sales is nothing. This quarter makes up at least 40% of their sales for the year. Honestly, if they miss software at this point it's time to pack it up. They should be over 80 million by January.

Avatar image for robert_sparkes
#7 Posted by robert_sparkes (1742 posts) -

Software wise possible hardware is another story is smash going to sell an incredible amount I'm not so sure.

Avatar image for Archangel3371
#8 Posted by Archangel3371 (26420 posts) -

Sure I’ll go with both, why not.

Avatar image for mandzilla
#9 Posted by Mandzilla (2095 posts) -

Easy peasy.