Post your currently playing video game screenshots

#501 Posted by BassMan (9452 posts) -

@jasonofa36: Yeah, it looks great, but they still have a ways to go before this tech is viable. There are issues with it besides performance that still need to be worked out.

#502 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

#503 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

Started a new campaign in Shadow of Chernobyl. I wanted it to parallel my playthrough in Lost Alpha. Maybe it's just me. But, Lost Alpha seems harder than Shadow of Chernobyl.

#504 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

Prepping the laptop for the next road trip. I only play GoG games on it, including Far Cry 2. Just making sure it still works.

#505 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

Of all the STALKER games, Shadow of Chernobyl really gets on my nerves. Grrrr. At this late stage, most old games should have a measure of stability or at least improved. Not so with ShoC even with the Complete Mod. I take that back. This is still an improvement over the vanilla ShoC. ;)

I observed all the STALKER games over two desktop PCs and two laptops. ShoC is really consistent with crashing. They also seem to happen every time I'm doing particularly well.

#506 Edited by uninspiredcup (29265 posts) -

Mirrors Of Fate. It's alright. Kinda wish they just done it in 2D. Backgrounds are kinda shitty.

#507 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

Man, that was a tough choice to delete all my saves in Shadow of Chernobyl and start over.

#508 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

This guy was such a pain in the butt. He's supposed to follow me. But, the script made me follow him instead. I needed scoped weapons bad. So, I had to go into the map he's in.

Man. The FOV is really bad in this game. I'm running it with the Complete Mod. You'd think there would be an FOV adjuster. Nope.

It also has AI problems because it looks like the whole mutant population of Wild Territory is below me: bloodsuckers, snorks, blind mutts, pseudo-mutts, and rats.

But, at least I got my SGI-5K rifle with scope. It'll come in handy in the coming battles and earning moolah.

#509 Posted by uninspiredcup (29265 posts) -

Vampires shouldn't take fall damage, game ruined!

#510 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

I'm doing the Borov mission at Dark Valley in Shadow of Chernobyl. After having played the equivalent mission twice in Lost Alpha, this one doesn't seem so bad. ;) The one in Lost Alpha was much harder because instead of the Bandits and Mercs in ShoC, the bad guys were Monolith and Army in the Lost Alpha version.

#511 Posted by The-A-Baum (1047 posts) -

#512 Posted by xantufrog (10106 posts) -

@the-a-baum: I know you think that's funny, but you posted it in a "currently playing screenshots" thread. You hit yourself in the face with the "i play games, not resolution" meme

#513 Edited by BassMan (9452 posts) -

#514 Posted by DragonfireXZ95 (24740 posts) -

@BassMan: They need to release the ray tracing stuff for Tomb Raider already. I'm going to do a new game+ once that finally comes out.

Jumped into a BF5 game quick to check out the ray tracing goodness, and my goodness.

#515 Posted by BassMan (9452 posts) -

@DragonfireXZ95: The ray traced shadows on Lara should be very sexy. :)

Those BFV reflections do look great. I am very excited to see the ray traced global illumination and ambient occlusion of Metro Exodus. I think that will be the best showcase title until Atomic Heart comes out.

#516 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl

Bogged down in a slugging match with the Monolith enroute to Lab X-19 (Brain Scorcher).

#517 Edited by uninspiredcup (29265 posts) -

Masterpiece 2.

#518 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

Stopping mid-level seems to be bad luck to me. I resumed the slog the Brain Scorcher this morning. My character died more in the first few minutes than the whole first half of the run from last night. Anyway, no more Brain Scorcher and it's nice to see more NPCs at Red Forest aside from the Monolith.

#519 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

It's good I started over in STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl. I have much better luck with artifacts this time around. Taking it easy at Army Warehouses after that slog to deactivate the Brain Scorcher.

#520 Edited by BassMan (9452 posts) -

#521 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

After repairs and replenishment, time for another slog, this time into Pripyat. I love the Complete Mod for ShoC. It added repairs, allowing me to keep my favorite weapons and armor.

As far as armor goes, I'm the only one in the group without an exoskeleton.....not enough moolah.

#522 Posted by uninspiredcup (29265 posts) -

PhD in physics.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
#523 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (5529 posts) -

Some Xenoblade Chronicles X. It's amazing, and I just changed my character's appearance.

#524 Posted by br0kenrabbit (15583 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:

PhD in physics.

The lack of AA and AF in that image put my eyeball out. I'ma sue.

#525 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

Dang-it. The Monolith have the place staked out.

#526 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

Made it out of Pripyat, passed through Red Forest, and back to Army Warehouses. Going from Pripyat to NPP is the point of no return and I'm not ready for that yet.

I'm really lucky this time with the artifact situation. Very little red (adverse effects on armor). Just got to avoid flame anomalies.

#528 Posted by uninspiredcup (29265 posts) -

Missed these.

#529 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

I love luring mutants into anomalies, especially the electrical ones. Zzzzzzt! ;) Saves ammo too.

#530 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

After a confusing night action (and quite fun) at Pripyat, I made it to the NPP. He He. I like the mad dash to reach the NPP Underground entrance. Ruuuuuuuun!

Instead of pausing to fight off both Army and Monolith bad guys (plus the army gunships), I simply ran like hell. it took a few attempts. But, I made it. ;)

#531 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

One key difference I saw between vanilla Shadow of Chernobyl (my first playthrough) and this one (with Complete Mod) at the Sarcophagus is the more aggressive Monolith with the latter. In the vanilla, a group of them were in a big room, just waiting for me to pop my head in. I recall a very intense firefight occurring with my character caught in a deadly 3-way crossfire.

In this playthrough, they seeked me out singly or in pairs which made it easier to kill em at the hallways and stairwells. I think it's the mod.

#532 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

I made it through the Sarcophagus and now at the portal-jumping stage of ShoC. Short on ammo though.......like last time. ;)

I'm looking forward to finishing the game because the Complete Mod added free-explore afterwards.

#533 Posted by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

Relaxing with Flight Simulator X.

#534 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

Yaaay! Just finished STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl (with the Complete Mod). I was literally down to my last 15 23 bullets by the time the end game was over.

Unlike the vanilla game, this one has free-explore after finishing the game.

#535 Posted by Litchie (22670 posts) -

@jun_aka_pekto: Nice job. Are there any more quests to do in this "free-explore" stuff? Or is it just giving you the chance to check things out that you missed?

#536 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -
@Litchie said:

@jun_aka_pekto: Nice job. Are there any more quests to do in this "free-explore" stuff? Or is it just giving you the chance to check things out that you missed?

I don't think there are new missions. Most I see are the recurring errand and fetch quests. At least, most of them (the camp eliminations) aren't automatically assigned like in the vanilla version. I found that irritating.

Plus, Pripyat is much more active with more factions streaming in, including the Bandits. It's nice to have a meat grinder to practice on. ;) It should be interesting at night.

The place is insane. The Monolith hates everybody. The Bandits hate Duty and the Loners. Duty hates Freedom, etc. Gotta watch out and not get caught in the faction squabbles. Of course, the Bandits and Monolith are fair game.

The only ones missing are the Army boys and Mercs.

I'm trying to get back into the NPP. I found 3 exoskeletons plus a number of FN2000 assault rifles. But, I left them all behind because of the weight limit. I should be able to get back into the Sarcophagus. I also left some Monolith alive. Gotta deal with them.

#537 Posted by xantufrog (10106 posts) -

Saving the day feels good

#538 Posted by uninspiredcup (29265 posts) -

@xantufrog said:

Saving the day feels good

You should buy an expensive capture card. Although you're off-cam screenshots aren't bad.

Anyways, more masterpiece 2, getting close to Ravenholm, about the only portion I don't particularly like. Boat part is boss. It's like an on-rails section if you could get out any-time, had build up, and didn't suck.

#539 Posted by xantufrog (10106 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: meh, doesn't seem worth it for the few games I'd post

#540 Posted by uninspiredcup (29265 posts) -

@xantufrog: Isn't setting up a camera to take a picture of your tv while pausing the game more effort?

#541 Posted by xantufrog (10106 posts) -

@uninspiredcup: i'm just whipping out my cell phone - nothing too fancy, and no added expense. I'm just not sure I'd get much out of a capture card except for occasional retro game posts to this thread

#542 Posted by uninspiredcup (29265 posts) -

@xantufrog: Fair enough

#543 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

I made it to the Sarcophagus (again). But, I wasn't expecting it to be repopulated by large numbers of Monolith. If they're the same exoskeleton-wearing bad guys I encountered in the SP campaign, my 241 bullets won't last long. I brought over 1000 rounds of ammo last time. By the time I finished the game, I was down to 23 and that included scavenging ammo from the dead guys.

Also, not one trader was selling armor-piercing ammo. In fact, Sid (at Cordon) didn't have any ammo at all. I hope it's only temporary.

The game really wants me to pay a high price for that exoskeleton. Actually, I have enough moolah to buy one, now that I'm thinking about it. ;)

#544 Posted by Cloud_imperium (14802 posts) -

#545 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (5529 posts) -

Picked up Sega Ages Phantasy Star today on the Switch, and Omensight: Definitive Edition. My first time playing Phantasy Star and I'm liking it. The port also seems pretty great, lot of little extras and options too.

#546 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

The only STALKER game I haven't finished is Lost Alpha with the Extended Pack addon. This would be the 3rd playthrough of the game. It'll be a while because Lost Alpha felt longer than Shadow of Chernobyl and Clear Sky combined.

Crap. I made at least 5 attempts to stealthily steal the documents (for Sid) from an army outpost nearby which resulted in 5 failed missions and 5 dead characters. Then, I watched a YT video and found out I've been attempting to enter the wrong window. Sid had marked the wrong window on the crude map he provided. Ghaaah.

I might replay the save game for it even though I moved on to other missions. The hardest part is fumbling in the dark without a flashlight (or night vision) and anomalies are nearby. This is where I really have to keep the noise down so I don't alert the sentries and wake up their sleeping buddies.

At least, these army guys are scripted to be tolerant even though they appear red on the minimap.

#547 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (24557 posts) -

I love the set of Dark Valley infiltration missions in STALKER: Lost Alpha DC. Mission Accomplished. But, it's hard to shake off the two Hind gunships on my tail as I retreat through Darkscape.

Oh. I redid the mission for Sid where I steal a box from an army outpost. I already memorized my route in and out. Once I knew which window (the one with the snoring guy) to go through, it was a piece of cake. One of the few times when watching a YT video walkthrough helped. ;)

#548 Posted by uninspiredcup (29265 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Picked up Sega Ages Phantasy Star today on the Switch, and Omensight: Definitive Edition. My first time playing Phantasy Star and I'm liking it. The port also seems pretty great, lot of little extras and options too.

They straight up give you the map? Interesting. Sort of nullifies the fun of sitting there and mapping it out yourself though. I guess alot of kids and more casual people are playing though and they'd be screwed without it.

MIght pick it up.

#549 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (5529 posts) -

@uninspiredcup said:
@princessgomez92 said:

They straight up give you the map? Interesting. Sort of nullifies the fun of sitting there and mapping it out yourself though. I guess alot of kids and more casual people are playing though and they'd be screwed without it.

MIght pick it up.

Yeah, but you can also turn it off if you like. There's also a bunch of different picture options to mess with, and the new Ages mode, which I believe is supposed to reduce random encounter rates. I haven't tried it yet, thought I should go with the original version since this is my first time playing. I'm pretty pleased with the amount of effort they put into this version, it even has the original Japanese version.

#550 Posted by uninspiredcup (29265 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:
@uninspiredcup said:
@princessgomez92 said:

MIght pick it up.

Yeah, but you can also turn it off if you like. There's also a bunch of different picture options to mess with, and the new Ages mode, which I believe is supposed to reduce random encounter rates. I haven't tried it yet, thought I should go with the original version since this is my first time playing. I'm pretty pleased with the amount of effort they put into this version, it even has the original Japanese version.

Oh? Nice. The Japanese version had superior audio. Although I must admit I still prefer the original Western one.

Loading Video...