Possibility of an Xbox IP auction/who would own what?

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By flashn00b
Member since 2006 • 3949 Posts

It is apparent to me that in regards to the Xbox brand, Microsoft has spent the entirety of the Xbox One's lifespan mashing buttons like they're losing in a game of Tekken 7 and if their most recent statement says anything, they're bringing their button mashing to the next generation. I dunno why, but my gut feeling says that they'll be incredibly sore losers if the PS5 dominates the console market and rather than taking their losses gracefully, they'll call quits.

Because of this, i think it might be worth it to speculate what companies and franchises will be auctioned off in the event Microsoft sells the Xbox brand in piecemeal portions a la the THQ auction.

To start the thread off, here's what I think would be the most likely buyers (re-organized from most to least likely):

Halo/343 Industries: Sony Computer Entertainment.

While I think that Microsoft would be the sore losers in the console wars, I also think Sony will be the sore winners. They'll probably try to do everything they can to win this specific bid by a $4+ million margin, even if such a move to were to prove self-destructive. The satisfaction of dancing on Microsoft's grave will be too attractive for Sony to ignore.

Rare/relevant IPs: Nintendo

While Mario, Pokemon, Fire Emblem and Legend of Zelda will remain their top priorities, I can see the Big N wanting to re-acquire Rare for the development of lower budget Nintendo exclusives. Plus, the re-acquisition of Rare would be a massive boost in the company's popular opinion, I think. Only time would tell if such an acquisition would lead to an announcement of Banjo 3

Age of Empires and Rise of Nations/Legends: Paradox Interactive

Being the kings of strategy games, I think the acquisition of Microsoft's RTS franchises would be the most obvious one. I don't even know if AoE and Rise of Nations/Legends would be all too expensive for Paradox.

Gears of War/The Coalition: Epic Games

Would Epic even need to be part of such an auction? I feel like Microsoft would more than likely work an agreement with Epic behind the scenes before an Xbox IP auction even starts

Fable, Crackdown, Forza, pretty much all the cheap stuff and possibly the Xbox logo too: Nordic Games

While the Xbox brand is home to a fair chunk of mainstream first-party titles, it has a lot in the way of lesser known franchises that can probably be purchased in bulk for a very low price. I think it's reasonable to say that for the titles and companies that have failed to gain the attention of the major publishers, it'll fall on Nordic's lap. If THQ is anything to go buy, I can't help but think that that they'll eventually want to call themselves "THQ Xbox" for all future games published by Nordic and Koch Media.

inExile Entertainment: Paradox Interactive again

While Paradox is mostly known for strategy games, haven't they published a few RPGs as well? I know they published the Obsidian-developed Pillars of Eternity. Either way, i can definitely see Paradox wanting to expand their RPG lineup.

Obsidian Entertainment: Either Sega of America or Bandai Namco Europe

This one is definitely a bit of a stretch, but I dunno if Obsidian would be able to buy themselves from Microsoft should the Xbox brand be sold in piecemeal portions. Sega and Bandai Namco's respective western publishing divisions seem to be the most interested in the kind of work Obsidian does but even then, my prediction is definitely stretching things. I think System Wars can think of a more likely buyer.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69448 Posts

I don't think you are using intelligence for your fake scenario.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By flashn00b
@Pedro said:

I don't think you are using intelligence for your fake scenario.

Apparently, neither is Microsoft because We'Re CoMpEtInG wItH aMaZoN, nOt SoNy!

Barring my prediction for Obsidian, I think the ones i have listed are more or less grounded in reality in regards to who'd buy what.

sealionact

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 sealionact
Member since 2014 • 9816 Posts

No disrespect, but you went to an awful lot of effort to post one of the most nonsensical posts on these boards ..... ever.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Pedro

@flashn00b: See above.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By flashn00b

I think we can at least agree that Microsoft's Xbox Division really doesn't know what it's doing and rather than reorganize their company structure from the ground-up, they instead opt to say some BS about how they are not competing with the PlayStation 5 even though it is.

I personally think it is reasonable to think that Phil Spencer will more likely do what will best be described as gaming's biggest ragequit, in that the intention of selling the Xbox brand in piecemeal portions wouldn't be out of financial struggles (I think part of it likely will involve financial struggles cuz I question whether or not Microsoft will want to continue to fund the Xbox division moving forward) but for the most part, I think the Xbox division being sold will be driven by "Sony hurt my feelings"

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Pedro

@flashn00b said:

I think we can at least agree that Microsoft's Xbox Division really doesn't know what it's doing and rather than reorganize their company structure from the ground-up, they instead opt to say some BS about how they are not competing with the PlayStation 5 even though it is.

I think it is reasonable to think that Phil Spencer will more likely do what will best be described as gaming's biggest ragequit, in that the intention of selling the Xbox brand in piecemeal portions wouldn't be out of financial struggles (I think part of it likely will involve financial struggles cuz I question whether or not Microsoft will want to continue to fund the Xbox division moving forward) but for the most part, I think the Xbox division being sold will be driven by "Sony hurt my feelings"

You not agreeing with what they are doing and they not knowing what they are doing are two very different things. :)

Dagubot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#8 Dagubot
Member since 2020 • 421 Posts

@sealionact said:

No disrespect, but you went to an awful lot of effort to post one of the most nonsensical posts on these boards ..... ever.

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22374 Posts

What can you even say in response to utter drivel like this? Wow.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 flashn00b

@hrt_rulz01 said:

What can you even say in response to utter drivel like this? Wow.

Probably what IP will end up being purchased from Microsoft? Cuz I still think the Xbox division's cluelessness will lead to what can best be described as a multi-million dollar ragequit

Razovi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Razovi
Member since 2020 • 5 Posts

@flashn00b: The reason your post is stupid is because even though PS4 is outselling Xbox, Xbox is still making money hand over fist while people like you are slaving away cleaning toilets and salting fries for a living.

Very worst case scenario, Microsoft would get out of hardware and just make games for xCloud, PC, possible Switch/PS4 via Game Pass

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

An ‘Xbox has no games’ Would have sufficed

HAH

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#13 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

flash, time to take a step away from the computer. Go have a nice cup of coffee or tea.

pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Lol console market

Hardware is out, services are in - haven't you heard?

Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10435 Posts

i've got a few quid in my pocket to start a collection if anyone fancies chipping in

sonny2dap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 sonny2dap
Member since 2008 • 2065 Posts

fever dreams of fanboys.

BassMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 225

#17 BassMan
Member since 2002 • 17806 Posts

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Rare going back to Nintendo would be exciting. Get Killer Instinct and a proper Battletoads on Switch. Not the slow moving, odd looking Battletoads set to release.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@flashn00b:

PC_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PC_Rocks
Member since 2018 • 8470 Posts

You spend too much time in SW.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

Did you just copy your post from this thread? That's sad.

@flashn00b said:

**** it, I think i'll give my predictions on what the Xbox brand will look like when the PS6 comes out:

Halo and 343 Industries: Purchased by Sony Computer Entertainment in a $30 million dollar bid. Closest competitors are Tencent (25 million) and Activision (18 million)

Rare and most relevant IPs: Will probably be bought by Nintendo for less than 10 million, but definitely more than 5 million.

Age of Empires and Rise of Nations/Legends: Paradox Interactive, probably for 2 million

inExile Entertainment: Probably also Paradox Interactive.

Obsidian Entertainment: Probably a toss-up between Bandai Namco Europe and Sega of America. Whoever wins the bid will probably only have a $2-6K lead.

Gears of War/The Coalition: Epic Games. Probably wouldn't even be auctioned off either. Such a trade in ownership would likely be done behind the scenes.

Everything else: Gets swallowed up by Nordic Games for a much lower price than the above brands and companies. Nordic to trademark the "THQ Xbox" logo for all games published by Nordic Games and Koch Media.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#22  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15914 Posts

@lundy86_4: wow the dude been here since 2006 too.

flashn00b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By flashn00b

@bluestars said:

An ‘Xbox has no games’ Would have sufficed

HAH

I mean, they do have games but the management for Xbox Game Studios seems to have their heads shoved so far up their asses to such a degree that you'd think their spines are made of rubber.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#25 ThatDBFan
Member since 2019 • 939 Posts

@flashn00b: Why do you want this to happen so bad? I've now seen two posts from you about this. Why do you hate Xbox so much that you want MS to sell it so badly? Seriously, that can't be healthy.

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By ThatDBFan
@flashn00b said:

No... No we do not agree.

Bluestars

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bluestars
Member since 2019 • 2789 Posts

@flashn00b:

They are buying top class studios and have some great talent at the initiative

Ironic you mention heads up arses,what’s the smelll like?

HAH

ThatDBFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 ThatDBFan

@lundy86_4 said:

Did you just copy your post from this thread? That's sad.

@flashn00b said:

**** it, I think i'll give my predictions on what the Xbox brand will look like when the PS6 comes out:

Halo and 343 Industries: Purchased by Sony Computer Entertainment in a $30 million dollar bid. Closest competitors are Tencent (25 million) and Activision (18 million)

Rare and most relevant IPs: Will probably be bought by Nintendo for less than 10 million, but definitely more than 5 million.

Age of Empires and Rise of Nations/Legends: Paradox Interactive, probably for 2 million

inExile Entertainment: Probably also Paradox Interactive.

Obsidian Entertainment: Probably a toss-up between Bandai Namco Europe and Sega of America. Whoever wins the bid will probably only have a $2-6K lead.

Gears of War/The Coalition: Epic Games. Probably wouldn't even be auctioned off either. Such a trade in ownership would likely be done behind the scenes.

Everything else: Gets swallowed up by Nordic Games for a much lower price than the above brands and companies. Nordic to trademark the "THQ Xbox" logo for all games published by Nordic Games and Koch Media.

Lol he actually did!

TomaLevine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 TomaLevine
Member since 2019 • 444 Posts

Hopefully valve gets everything so that Xbox stays American