SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45056 Posts

I’ve never been a fan of character creation. I find it to be a huge waste of time LOL. I don’t get how people can spend hours designing their character. I try to go the easiest route as much as possible.

Another one; sim type games like Animal Crossing. I sort of get that the appeal of this game is it’s supposed to be real chill and laid back and you just do whatever you want. But I like having a goal and something to work towards. I need more action and a sense of completion lol.

How about you, SW? What popular gaming ‘things’ are you not a fan of?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#2 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58830 Posts

Slow cinematic walking.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#3  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69358 Posts

It is weird to not be a fan of character creation when you can just pick the default and move on.🤷🏽‍♂️

Not a fan of unskippable cutscenes, walking cutscenes, and unnecessary cutscenes. The last one is the moments where the mechanics of the game stops for you to perform a very basic action in the form of a cutscene.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46185 Posts
Loading Video...

Impressing random strangers online. Be it with clothes, certain actions, gaming skills, song and dance, house decorating, screenshots, PC gaming specs, ... I legit don't give a toss.

But people really care how you are dressed in games for some reason.

Ghosts4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 Ghosts4ever
Member since 2015 • 24895 Posts

Slow Walking segments.

worse than QTE and health regen and cover system.

SecretPolice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 SecretPolice
Member since 2007 • 44025 Posts

Not so much popular in games but one of my biggest pet peeves in gaming is when I've been cruzing along in a game really enjoying myself when suddenly come to a part in that game that ramps up the difficulty seemingly 10X from what it was prior to that part of the game.

Really ruins my enjoyment and though I'll get through it I always just wonder why the freak the devs made that choice.

Orrr it could be I'm just way too long in the tooth for that shyt these dayzzz. lolol :P

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 506 Posts

I don't like online shooters or live service games and those seem to be super popular with the kiddos these days.

MyCatIsMilk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MyCatIsMilk
Member since 2022 • 1144 Posts

Turning everything into an open world with light or heavy RPG elements. I find this more appalling when a games sequel decides to go the RPG route. I look at Assassin's Creed and wonder how it went from something interesting and unique to something very generic.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#9 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34565 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Slow cinematic walking.

That.

@Pedro said:

unskippable cutscenes, and unnecessary cutscenes. The last one is the moments where the mechanics of the game stops for you to perform a very basic action in the form of a cutscene.

Those.

@ghosts4ever said:

QTE

And that.

I'll add "fluff". Adding repetitive/boring things in your games just to make it last longer is not ok. For example, Mario Odyssey would be much better if they had 120 moons instead of 1000+, that were more fun and memorable to collect. It would also make me able to replay the game as I wouldn't worry about going through all the fluff again. It's the reason why Odyssey is a one and done game for me, while I play Super Mario 64 yearly.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Pedro

@Litchie: 100%

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#11 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

Microtransactions, paid DLC, DLC with unnecessary junk like accessories, etc. (even if it is free), fetch quests, indie games using 8-bit/16-bit graphics, developers trying to make their games "accessible" so to attract more people or attract certain demographics (women, girls, casual gamers, non-gamers) while alienating long-time fans in the process, etc.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 SolidGame_basic

Not sure if some of the stuff being listed here can considered "popular" lol.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic: Like what?

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SolidGame_basic

^ got 'em 😎

Renegade_Fury

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15 Renegade_Fury
Member since 2003 • 21700 Posts

Crafting, forging, and repairing broken items and weapons.

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Randy_Lahey
Member since 2022 • 1803 Posts

I’m not a fan of “cheapening the brand” by means of subscription services and waiting for a game to be “free” on a subscription service.

I believe in rewarding developers for their hard work by purchasing the game outright - voting with my wallet to encourage developers to make future bangers. I understand if you dont have a bunch of disposable income and maybe can’t afford $90 (cad) games, but I truly think that sub services as a main way to consume video games will only harm the product in the end. This is just my opinion

brimmul777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

User Lists: 2

#17 brimmul777
Member since 2011 • 6082 Posts

Unnecessary to much detail to perform in game,such as eating,drinking,bathroom breaks,etc… Looking at you State of Decay 1/2. Sorry if I didn’t word correctly. Pointless bs waste of time.

SOedipus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By SOedipus
Member since 2006 • 14799 Posts

Incomplete games

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SolidGame_basic
@brimmul777 said:

Unnecessary to much detail to perform in game,such as eating,drinking,bathroom breaks,etc… Looking at you State of Decay 1/2. Sorry if I didn’t word correctly. Pointless bs waste of time.

Never got the whole eating the which is prevalent in a lot of Japanese games

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@Pedro said:

It is weird to not be a fan of character creation when you can just pick the default and move on.🤷🏽‍♂️

Not a fan of unskippable cutscenes, walking cutscenes, and unnecessary cutscenes. The last one is the moments where the mechanics of the game stops for you to perform a very basic action in the form of a cutscene.

This. Hence why I'm not a fan of most of Playstation's games.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Pedro

@SolidGame_basic said:

Not sure if some of the stuff being listed here can considered "popular" lol.

@Pedro said:

@SolidGame_basic: Like what?

@SolidGame_basic said:

^ got 'em 😎

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#22 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@SolidGame_basic:

Live-service. I get why games like Call of Duty have it but in a case like Halo Master Chief Collection, it's annoying as hell having to update it just to play it once every few months. Live-service bombards you with constant updates whether you use them or not.

dracula_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#23 dracula_16
Member since 2005 • 15983 Posts

Micro-transactions. I really wish they would stop. More often than not, they are a disgusting way of developers/publishers milking people of their money. It makes them look like a bunch of money-hungry dirt bags.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#24  Edited By mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58269 Posts

Controllers.

I don't know if I am too old to get used to them, too ignorant to accept that they might be good at one or two things, or maybe I just don't want to like them...but I find them to be one of the most garbage and worthless ways to interact with games.

I'd rather read a book or watch a movie than game with a controller. If a genie came up to me and was like "Look, you can have this magically-powered desktop gaming PC...but only if you game with a controller for the rest of your life!" I'd pass on that.

Obviously that's just my opinion, I don't think you guys are garbage for liking controllers. I just think you have garbage tastes😋

As far as game mechanics or things actually in games:

• With some exceptions, not a fan of cover systems. People seem to like it.
  • Microtransactions. It's popular, it's a billion-dollar industry. I don't like it.
  • Interruptions, be they cutscenes, "walking cinematics", or things like that. The popularity of things like Uncharted and other games of that nature indicate it's popular.
AcidTango

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AcidTango
Member since 2013 • 3217 Posts

Slow walking simulator and cutscenes that goes way too long.

Juub1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Juub1990
Member since 2013 • 12620 Posts

@Pedro said:

This and as I said in the other thread, walking sections are actually worse than cutscenes despite the best intentions of the developer. You can skip a cutscene that you've seen with the press of a button usually. You cannot skip walking sections and have to sit through a minutes-long borefest while hearing exposition and holding forward on the stick.

As for my contribution to this thread; lengthy games. Gamers now for some reason evaluate a game based on a $/hours played formula. If a game is absolutely terrific but is only 12 hours long, I'll gladly pay full price for it. If a game is shit, I don't care if it's 500 hours for $10, it's 500 hours of wasted time. I thoroughly enjoyed Elden Ring but it should have ended at Leyndell. The rest after feels like filler to extend the length of the game because god forbid an open-world RPG is less than 100 hours long.

outworld222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 outworld222
Member since 2004 • 4204 Posts

Walking simulators, RPGs, racing games.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#28  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts
  • Live service games /lootboxes/microtransactions
  • Walking Simulators
  • Day 1 patches / rushed games
  • Season passes
  • Early access
Maroxad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Maroxad
Member since 2007 • 23883 Posts
  • Slow Cinematic Walking
  • Heavy Exposition
  • Unskippable Cutscenes
  • QTEs
  • Light RPG elements
  • Themepark Open Worlds
  • High difficulty settings that do nothing but bloat numbers
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#30 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34565 Posts

@mrbojangles25 said:

Controllers.

I don't know if I am too old to get used to them, too ignorant to accept that they might be good at one or two things, or maybe I just don't want to like them...but I find them to be one of the most garbage and worthless ways to interact with games.

I feel you. Mouse and keyboard is better for pretty much everything. One genre is better with a controller though that I can think of, and that's racing. With a keyboard, you can't steer slightly left or right, you just steer full blown left or right. With a controller, that's not a problem. But then again, you can argue that a steering wheel is better than controllers for racing games. But then again, a steering wheel is a form of controller..

Howmakewood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Howmakewood
Member since 2015 • 7700 Posts

@pcgamerlaszlo: hardly just kids, most of my long time gaming friends are way past 30 and love playing CSGO, coop shooters etc

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 hardwenzen  Online
Member since 2005 • 38678 Posts

BRs.

I am not too sure how the fk can someone enjoy wasting time searching for a loadout, which in most cases will blow cuz its rng, and if you die, you're not waiting for the next round, but back in the menu for even more time wasting. The worst shit pvp mode ever created.

PCGamerLaszlo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PCGamerLaszlo
Member since 2023 • 506 Posts

@howmakewood: Not saying the genre(s) are exclusive to age brackets, just that they seem to be the popular genres with today's youth.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13660 Posts

Movie games. I just don't have the patience. HELLOOOO GAMEPLAY, ANYONE THERE?

daredevils2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By daredevils2k
Member since 2015 • 5001 Posts

MS allowing 343 to destroy the halo franchise.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50541 Posts

Ya, character creation, unskippable CS, forced walking scenes, and foraging for crap.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17807 Posts

What's popular these days? i used to know what cool was. but then it changed and whatever it is now is strange and scary :S.

er....what i think is popular.....i could be wrong:

Online multiplayer (especially competitive). Not for me. I'm not competitive in general anyway. Co-op can be fun sometimes but gaming, for me, is a solitary adventure of some sort.

Mobile gaming. Nope. Due to my netflix sub i have access to some mobile games. So they don't even have the worst elements of mobile gaming with the microtransactions and the games designed by accountants. I just tried the new TNMT game they released a couple of days ago on my tablet. Still nope. Using a touch screen for button/dpad/stick controls is pretty awful. Sure i could connect a controller to my tablet which is a bit of a solution. But the content is generally still woeful so....i'll just stick with PCs and proper gaming devices. At most i'll play something like angry birds (though havent played that in a long long time) or some match 3 game....that's about it. Why is it so big!?

SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By SolidGame_basic

@osan0: mobile gaming is an interesting choice. Undoubtedly, there’s a lot of a games that are just lame, like the running games that are clearly clones of Temple Run from like 10 years ago lol. But there are also some good games out there I think. Also, some games fit naturally with mobile, like visual novels. So it’s 50/50 for me lol.

MK245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 MK245
Member since 2012 • 127 Posts

Checkpoint saves

QTEs

'Bullet sponge' method of increasing difficulty

Requiring multiple playthroughs to unlock gameplay options

Collectibles, particularly when they are not strongly connected to the narrative

Padding gameplay time due to backtracking to unlock early inaccessible areas

Pre-order content bonuses that are not just cosmetic

PvPve hybrid games as opposed to games that are dedicated PVP or PVE

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By above_average
Member since 2021 • 1566 Posts
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Pedro said:

Sounds a lot like Hellblade from here, so...you guys DON'T want to play Hellblade 2? Because that's what ya'll just described

You xbox fans are weird and hypocritical AF when you make arguments that contradict the things you otherwise hype.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Pedro

@above_average said:
@hrt_rulz01 said:
@Pedro said:

Sounds a lot like Hellblade from here, so...you guys DON'T want to play Hellbalde 2 because that's what ya'll just described

I don't like Hellblade for the above-stated reasons and I have no interest in Hellblade 2 for the same reasons. 😐

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 above_average

On topic:

COD and basically any service/online focused type game.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 above_average

@Pedro: Then carry on

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@above_average: I don't think Hellblade is as bad as a Naughty Dog game for example... PS games just take it to another level.

The odd cinematic game here and there is ok, but not 90% of the titles you make.

above_average

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By above_average
@hrt_rulz01 said:

@above_average: I don't think Hellblade is as bad as a Naughty Dog game for example... PS games just take it to another level.

The odd cinematic game here and there is ok, but not 90% of the titles you make.

Hellblade is literally a cinematic walking sim with mid gameplay.

You just exposed yourself to be a hypocrite with such a desperate attempt to throw any Sony studio that is highly praised under the bus.

The last game Naughty Dog made was, THE LAST OF US 2!

It literally had the best third person action/shooting GAMEPLAY of any action game last generation. You can't name an action game with better, more dynamic and free flowing GAMEPLAY than TLOU2 last generation.

But here you are sitting here trying to tell everyone that that hup durp, "a Naughty Dog game" is worse for being a slow cinematic walking sim than Hellblade? FOH!

Just say you hate sony and keep it moving. No need to say stupid shit that makes you look delusional and ignorant.

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Randy_Lahey

I’m not a fan of CEO doing pointless empty worded interviews every other week while not delivering on promises. This “he seems like one of us” mentality is so transparent, it makes me question humanity at times

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts
@hrt_rulz01 said:

Randy_Lahey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Randy_Lahey

@hrt_rulz01 said:

And this is why your opinions no longer count. Try being actually objective dude

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 938 Posts

Roguelites/likes

I hate starting all over again upon death. After a while it becomes repetitive and boring even if you unlock stuff along the way. Cant stand them. Some games would be great to me if they werent rogues like Dead Cells for example. I like its gameplay and artstyle but I cant play it for more than a couple minutes cause I feel my time is being wasted on barely to no progress at all

I think "no saves" should be an option for those who want it, not the main attraction of these games. But hey, just my 2 cents cause I know people like them this way

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 938 Posts
@hrt_rulz01 said:

You cant be freakin serious...

Hellblade is the definition of a walking sim with a couple of fights here and there. And I actually like the game btw but for its vibe and story. But again, you cant be serious. No Sony game reaches the level of hellblade when it comes to walking

Also the vast majority of Sony games are only slow at the start, they often open up later on with the ocasional "cinematic" here and there. Hellblade is a walking sim through and through until the credits roll