Poll: Think later iterations of PS4 could have PSTV built in?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Poll: Think later iterations of PS4 could have PSTV built in? (24 votes)

Definitely. 0%
Probably. 0%
Maybe. 8%
Unlikely. 29%
Nope. 54%

Do you think later iterations of the PS4 could have a PSTV built in (has VITA game cart and memory card slots)?

*maybe PSTV later being discontinued, much sooner than VITA handhelds

• 
RTUUMM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1 RTUUMM
Member since 2008 • 4859 Posts

that would be great but i dont see SONY doing that. They'll just tell you to go rebuy the games on PS-NOW.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

@RTUUMM said:

that would be great but i dont see SONY doing that. They'll just tell you to go rebuy the games on PS-NOW.

lol probably.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44543 Posts

I bet Sony could add PSTV functionality to the PS4 if they wanted to, only problem is it probably wouldn't increase PS4 console sales any more than they already experience (which makes me think they won't bother). But, I think it could benefit Sony by increasing digital game sales, and maybe in the end help prop up the Vita because people can actually acquire a compatible library and later see the benefit of purchasing the portable devices. But still, even if not, they can profit handsomely off the sale of digital titles.

While they're at it, make a functioning PS2 emulator like the PS3 has for the digital PS2 classics. Some people think PS3 just plays ports of PS2 games, that's not it at all, the PS3 runs PS2 ISOs in tandem with software emulation, and if they can do it on PS3 then they sure as shit should on the PS4. Anyhow, a device that can play PS1, PS2, PSP, Vita, and PS4 games, that's a pretty solid deal. Then again it might be harder to sell Gaikai if they did that, so I can see them not bothering. Still, I'd be very happy to be so very wrong.

Anyhow, if it did happen that they could bring functionality to the PS4, I don't think it'd require special hardware like a new SKU, just an update. Maybe an optional USB device could be made if people really need a way to use proprietary memory cards. But I'd prefer if they just did like the PS3 does for its BC of emulating a memory card the system uses rather than needing a real one. Not all Vita games work with PSTV, but the ones that do are playable with a DS3/DS4 and should work just the same if the PS4 has PSTV functionality.

Kashiwaba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kashiwaba
Member since 2005 • 8059 Posts

Psnow happened there is no way Sony is adding any form of any backyard compatibility any time soon

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I wish.

soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts

Completely useless, giving gamers extra features is a terrible thing!

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 j2zon2591

@lamprey263 said:

I bet Sony could add PSTV functionality to the PS4 if they wanted to, only problem is it probably wouldn't increase PS4 console sales any more than they already experience (which makes me think they won't bother). But, I think it could benefit Sony by increasing digital game sales, and maybe in the end help prop up the Vita because people can actually acquire a compatible library and later see the benefit of purchasing the portable devices. But still, even if not, they can profit handsomely off the sale of digital titles.

While they're at it, make a functioning PS2 emulator like the PS3 has for the digital PS2 classics. Some people think PS3 just plays ports of PS2 games, that's not it at all, the PS3 runs PS2 ISOs in tandem with software emulation, and if they can do it on PS3 then they sure as shit should on the PS4. Anyhow, a device that can play PS1, PS2, PSP, Vita, and PS4 games, that's a pretty solid deal. Then again it might be harder to sell Gaikai if they did that, so I can see them not bothering. Still, I'd be very happy to be so very wrong.

Anyhow, if it did happen that they could bring functionality to the PS4, I don't think it'd require special hardware like a new SKU, just an update. Maybe an optional USB device could be made if people really need a way to use proprietary memory cards. But I'd prefer if they just did like the PS3 does for its BC of emulating a memory card the system uses rather than needing a real one. Not all Vita games work with PSTV, but the ones that do are playable with a DS3/DS4 and should work just the same if the PS4 has PSTV functionality.

Almost makes too much sense. Yeah, basically a free platform of entry if one's a PS4 user. Even if not handsomely, it's almost free profit.

For later PS4s, probably just slapping in a VITA SoC and readers. IDK if emulation on older PS4 should be implemented since IDK if doing development of that requires actual effort and support would be sub par (some games wonky because it's emulated). Also, maybe some obscure licensing issue if the game runs without actual VITA hardware/SoC.

coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

Not going to happen. Sony is banking too much on PS Now.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#9 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

I got and update yesterday for Disgaea 3 on the Vita that gave it PSTV support.

I think/hope the PS4 gets the PSTV system , but i ain't holding my breath for it.

Still , i have my Vita , so i got that going for me.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

PS4 sales are incredible, Sony has no incentive to follow this proposal or stick any new hardware into the PS4 that would increase the cost of the hardware. Why fix what's not broken?

I can't imagine any company following through with this proposal tbh.

LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts

It would be beyond awesome, but very unlikely.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b0367b217732
deactivated-5b0367b217732

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 9

#12 deactivated-5b0367b217732
Member since 2014 • 1697 Posts

Not gonna happen.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 j2zon2591

@SolidTy said:

PS4 sales are incredible, Sony has no incentive to follow this proposal or stick any new hardware into the PS4 that would increase the cost of the hardware. Why fix what's not broken?

I can't imagine any company following through with this proposal tbh.

I guess that's still gonna be like $ 30 or something added to manufacturing so it may be better to just don't do that and give customers the savings.

Perhaps an extra incentive since XB1 has bc then the new PS4 with PSTV would have most of the PS1/PSP and VITA libraries and post #3 implying VITA library piggybacking the PS4's success to get some sales w/o having to get a different device (for new buyers).

Might also diminish the attractiveness of expensive PS4 titles that are PS4-PSV multi-plats, VITA to PS4 ports since they may just go for the VITA (low res) version.

Up to Sony but it's probably better to just pass savings to consumers.. Hmm.. maybe consider making a much cheaper VITA with TV out with DS3/DS4 BT support then stop producing PSTVs and VITA 2000s.

XanderZane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 XanderZane
Member since 2006 • 5174 Posts

Oh Lord. Please no.

Sony should dump those PS-TV's in the same hole the Atari E.T. games came out of.