Poll: Is GoW's Leviathan Axe one of the most unique axes in recent games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Poll: Is GoW's Leviathan Axe one of the most unique axes in recent games? (46 votes)

Probably. 30%
Definitely. 30%
Maybe. 11%
Unlikely. 4%
Nope. 24%

A ranged weapon that's a boomerang, a laser weapon, "homing missile", a regular debuff, an aoe debuff and a regular melee axe.

I thought the axe would be cheesy and corny at first but the animation and rumble when you throw it and summon it back then it hits the back of enemies along the way. It feels unusually satisfying. Even more so with later skills.

I was looking at BoTW's boomerang and maybe that's the other one that's most similar to it? Any other axes in gaming that feels quite unique?

• 
dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#1 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts

That's a very specific question. I'd need to see a list of other axes in games to really say for sure. Only other series I can think of offhand that features them are Elder Scrolls and Darksiders.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 j2zon2591
Member since 2005 • 3571 Posts

@dragonfly110 said:

That's a very specific question. I'd need to see a list of other axes in games to really say for sure. Only other series I can think of offhand that features them are Elder Scrolls and Darksiders.

Yeah I'd like to know as well. I've mostly seen axes used similarly across most games I've played. Kratos seems like a swiss army knife in comparison.

AznbkdX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#3 AznbkdX
Member since 2012 • 4284 Posts

I can agree with that yeah.

It is certainly the ax with the most utility that I know of.

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

Is much better and more than I expected.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 j2zon2591

@ni6htmare01 said:

Is much better and more than I expected.

When I saw trailers quite a while back I thought it would just be a gimmick and not useful at all.. it was a fun gimmick after buying a lot of skills and getting more runics.

stuff238

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 stuff238
Member since 2012 • 3284 Posts

It is one of the coolest weapons ever and I don’t miss the blades of chaos at all.

That is quite the achievement for Sony Santa Monica. Excellent job.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

In terms of being the best axe? I'm not sure that's a tall order to fill... In terms of best weapon, not really.

ReCloud

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 ReCloud
Member since 2018 • 4418 Posts

No, it's just like Thor's mjolnir.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

I like the storm breaker from infinity war better.

dragonfly110

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#10 dragonfly110
Member since 2008 • 27955 Posts
@recloud said:

No, it's just like Thor's mjolnir.

It's similiar to mjolnir, but he was speaking in relation to games, and I can't think of any title that features Mjolnir, let alone an axe variety of it outside of Lego Marvel, but even then you don't really use Mjolnir as anything more than a regular giant hammer.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

@lundy86_4: Agreed. Most other axes are well just axes. Are we going to ignore the fact they basically took Thor's hammer, made it an axe and just added other things to it?

The blades of Chaos were almost completely original. Attached to chains, seared to his forearms.

I am by no means not pleased with the Leviathan axe I just wont suck it off and ignore clear copying that it does.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#12 lundy86_4  Online
Member since 2003 • 61481 Posts

@cainetao11: In fact, Thor used an axe after Mjolnir IIRC. It's a weapon he's been known to have used. It could genuinely be a nod... I'm not sure.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#13 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

It's basically a sharp version of Mjolnir. But yeah, it's a weapon not normally seen in games. I did use it in Tomb Raider Underworld though. That was pretty cool! Though Lara never tried throwing it.

JtoThaMtoThaP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 JtoThaMtoThaP
Member since 2016 • 1016 Posts

I am not a big fan of the Axe....it's slow! I was excited to get my blades back, finally felt like a GoW game.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 cainetao11

@lundy86_4: True. Check out the Ultimates. Ultimate marvel universe continuity in which his mjolnir has an axe blade on one end a hammer on the other.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#16 Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

No not for me, and I suspect some of its design was done with the puzzles in mind. I prefer using it over the blades and overall I enjoyed its mechanics, but personally I liked how they handled the shield most. Love how it fans out of his arm and that there are several moves with it. To me that is the best part of his arsenal.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 j2zon2591

@stuff238 said:

It is one of the coolest weapons ever and I don’t miss the blades of chaos at all.

That is quite the achievement for Sony Santa Monica. Excellent job.

I was actually starting to dig the axe but oh boy come mid part of the game. I got goosebumps from a game and that has been a while.

@cainetao11 said:

@lundy86_4: Agreed. Most other axes are well just axes. Are we going to ignore the fact they basically took Thor's hammer, made it an axe and just added other things to it?

The blades of Chaos were almost completely original. Attached to chains, seared to his forearms.

I am by no means not pleased with the Leviathan axe I just wont suck it off and ignore clear copying that it does.

I haven't been following Thor's marvel except for the movies but is it only the fact that it comes back? Atreus can even use and carry it.

Thor's hammer in the movies seem insanely strong which the Axe is far from and can be recalled. Other than being recalled and being a melee weapon. Seems like not "just" additions to the Leviathan Axe with everything else specially relative to just being one aspect; can be recalled. Just would seem more appropriate to the boomerang/frisbee aspect; just that; a boomerang.

One or two aspects only "copied" but the rest of the additions are pretty unique for specially for an axe.

Just a side note: have you played the game and seen the secret ending? Now that's probably gonna be more of a copy. a . I have no doubts that's gonna be in the next installations.

As for the blades of Chaos. Now that you mentioned it. It is quite unique. I didn't know those were seared into his forearms even though I've played all previous GoW games years ago.

We've got some spears, katanas, clubs, hammers, (Souls, Onimusha, etc.) across several games for decades that have many features but axes for videogames? I'm interested to see if there are more interesting axes in games along the vein of Kratos' axe.

I think I remember one from the snes. I think it was a cave man that throws stone axes in arcs and horizontals and rides some skateboard? I can't remember much and perhaps I am even remembering it wrong. The stone axes were treated like projectiles I think.

@Alucard_Prime said:

No not for me, and I suspect some of its design was done with the puzzles in mind. I prefer using it over the blades and overall I enjoyed its mechanics, but personally I liked how they handled the shield most. Love how it fans out of his arm and that there are several moves with it. To me that is the best part of his arsenal.

No? Then what axe for games compare to it other that BoTW's boomerang?

PSA: The shield has massive i frames from the stanced action then to R2.

Throwing the axe to freeze an enemy then shield charging to shatter looks and feels great then recalling it and doing a Hunter Killer from far away, rushing towards that new enemy, recalling the axe once again to do a massive aoe hammerdown.. I wish I had better reflexes for more consitently creative fights. I play it more safe :P

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

Well yeah, but what else there?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58950 Posts

I donno, let's have a top 100 axes 2018 list, segmented into 1 post per a page.

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 j2zon2591

@freedomfreak said:

Well yeah, but what else there?

Exactly. And I am not being sarcastic. Genuinely curious. Maybe the new DS3/BB DLC has them?

I guess the BB vanilla axe is also pretty unique retracting that makes double movesets.

@uninspiredcup said:

I donno, let's have a top 100 axes 2018 list, segmented into 1 post per a page.

Heck maybe make in PS4X1/PS360 gen. I'd be intereted in more earlier unique axes too. Maybe I missed some axe in the DMC series.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 cainetao11

@j2zon2591: Good points. I do think what santa Monica did with the leviathan is great, but it's base is Ultimate Continuity Marvels Thor hammer. It's a flat hammer on one end and an axe on the other. It shoots lightning, can be thrown and guided and recalled. As i said its not a knock on the axe. It's a great weapon, turned out way better than that first trailer advertised it to me. But it isn't the most amazing, original weapon ever Imo. And it doesn't need to be. The game is GOTY imo

j2zon2591

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 j2zon2591

@cainetao11 said:

@j2zon2591: Good points. I do think what santa Monica did with the leviathan is great, but it's base is Ultimate Continuity Marvels Thor hammer. It's a flat hammer on one end and an axe on the other. It shoots lightning, can be thrown and guided and recalled. As i said its not a knock on the axe. It's a great weapon, turned out way better than that first trailer advertised it to me. But it isn't the most amazing, original weapon ever Imo. And it doesn't need to be. The game is GOTY imo

You are absolutely right. I just read the lore of the Axe and I can't believe I missed this part: It's a counterforce to Mjolnir. made by the new GoW's lore smith brothers.Definitely a nod to Mjo and I just saw the Ultimate Mjo Axe. I think it's very likely the artists/devs took inspiration from it.

I still think it's one of the most unique axes in games specially this gen but as someone implied here, not much love for unique axes from developers (not a tall order) which makes the Leviathan Axe hit harder in that aspect.