Pokemon Let's Go has strongest first week for a Switch game with 3 million copies sold

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Techhog89
Member since 2015 • 5430 Posts

https://gematsu.com/2018/11/pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-and-lets-go-eevee-first-week-sales-top-three-million#7UYu8eqAPWBfBzoX.99

Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! sold three million copies in its first week of release worldwide, The Pokemon Company announced. As far as Switch games go, the games boast the highest first-week sales numbers.

Both games launched for Switch on November 16.

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/11/pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-and-lets-go-eevee-first-week-sales-top-three-million#b1BAYo3c5UyAMYZU.99

Not bad for a Pokemon remake on a relatively new platform. It's obviously not touching something like RDR2, but only a silly person would think that's possible anyway. I'm assuming final sales in the 12-14 million range.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 scatteh316
Member since 2004 • 10273 Posts

So?

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 Sgt_Crow
Member since 2004 • 6099 Posts
@scatteh316 said:

So?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@techhog89 said:

https://gematsu.com/2018/11/pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-and-lets-go-eevee-first-week-sales-top-three-million#7UYu8eqAPWBfBzoX.99

Pokemon: Let’s Go, Pikachu! and Pokemon: Let’s Go, Eevee! sold three million copies in its first week of release worldwide, The Pokemon Company announced. As far as Switch games go, the games boast the highest first-week sales numbers.

Read more at https://gematsu.com/2018/11/pokemon-lets-go-pikachu-and-lets-go-eevee-first-week-sales-top-three-million#b1BAYo3c5UyAMYZU.99

Not bad for a Pokemon remake on a relatively new platform. It's obviously not touching something like RDR2, but only a silly person would think that's possible anyway. I'm assuming final sales in the 12-14 million range.

yeah, this wont beat red dead. bad sales for pokemon. looks like a flop in terms of what it was aiming for(capturing the millions of GO players).

by this time next year when the "hardcore" pokemon releases it will be 10M if even that. not good news for nintendo.

honestly the advertising for this game was shit. i saw more ads for diablo 3 and civilization VI lol. im glad they are promoting 3rd party but i guess they sort of sent this out to die.

i'm going to owe @blackhairedhero a 20$ gift card in january :P

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Techhog89
@scatteh316 said:

So?

Hardware sales re likely quite high as well.

By the way, before you start screaming "drought" I ant to remind you that Switch software sales have been phenomenal this year so the drought is nothing more than a made-up narrative.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 scatteh316
@techhog89 said:
@scatteh316 said:

So?

By the way, before you start screaming "drought" I ant to remind you that Switch software sales have been phenomenal this yearso the drought is nothing more than a made-up narrative.

Because of the drought people have had to buy what's available as there's not a lot of choice, hence the sales.

It's not a difficult concept to comprehend.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 scatteh316
@Sgt_Crow said:
@scatteh316 said:

So?

Yes it is looking very tear worthy for Pokemon......

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts
@KBFloYd said:

yeah, this wont beat red dead. bad sales for pokemon. looks like a flop in terms of what it was aiming for(capturing the millions of GO players).

by this time next year when the "hardcore" pokemon releases it will be 10M if even that. not good news for nintendo.

honestly the advertising for this game was shit. i saw more ads for diablo 3 and civilization VI lol. im glad they are promoting 3rd party but i guess they sort of sent this out to die.

Yeah, weird that they didn't advertise it. Where I'm moving around outside, I've seen one small poster of the game so far. With RDR2, they covered fucking buildings.

Nintendo probably thought it'll sell itself and didn't bother to spend any advertisement money..

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By KBFloYd

@scatteh316 said:
@techhog89 said:
@scatteh316 said:

So?

By the way, before you start screaming "drought" I ant to remind you that Switch software sales have been phenomenal this yearso the drought is nothing more than a made-up narrative.

Because of the drought people have had to buy what's available as there's not a lot of choice, hence the sales.

lol what? that doesnt make sense

lets say ps4 had two games and each one sold 2 million. thats 4 million

now if switch only had 1 game and it sold 4 million. how is that any difference in terms of unit sold?

use your brain

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 scatteh316
@KBFloYd said:
@scatteh316 said:
@techhog89 said:
@scatteh316 said:

So?

lets say ps4 had two games each one sold 2 million. thats 4 million

now if switch only had 1 game and it sold 4 million. how is that any difference in terms of unit sold?

use your brain

You use your brain..... You've just bought a brand new machine....... it's just sitting there collecting dust.....so in order for it not to sit there wasting away you go and buy a few games for it...or it's your only system so you have to buy whatever you can......a part from Pokemon..... seems no one wants that.

It's even more ironic that I'm told to use my brain by someone who's brain doesn't understand how to use capital letters and grammar... /smh

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 KBFloYd

@scatteh316 said:
@KBFloYd said:
@scatteh316 said:
@techhog89 said:
@scatteh316 said:

So?

use your brain

You use your brain..... You've just bought a brand new machine....... it's just sitting there collecting dust.....so in order for it not to sit there wasting away you go and buy a few games for it...or it's your only system so you have to buy whatever you can......a part from Pokemon..... seems no one wants that.

It's even more ironic that I'm told to use my brain by someone who's brain doesn't understand how to use capital letters and grammar... /smh

just digging the hole deeper. (oh and i'm too lazy to capitalize) lol

listen to yourself now you are saying that nintendo's plan to sell software this gen is by not releasing software!

lol da fuk happen to you when you were a kid. did your parents not force you to go to school?

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Techhog89
@scatteh316 said:
@techhog89 said:
@scatteh316 said:

So?

I'm talking about general software sales, not sales of any specific game. Total software sales have been way above expectations and Nintendo is set to blow their 100 million projection out of the water.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44136 Posts

Not surprising. Even though it’s not a new addition in the mainline Pokémon games it’s still something that is in a very strong franchise that was always bound to sell very well.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Techhog89
@KBFloYd said:
@techhog89 said:

Are you talking Let's Go or the 2019 game here? Either way Let's Go should still break 10 million and the 2019 game should still break 15 million. Switch will probably get a price cut next year which will help. Keep in mind that Zelda and Mario are still selling like crazy so not everything is decided in the first week. RDR2 was way out of reach, but it'll still sell decently.

The real question is how it'll compare to Smash.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 scatteh316
@KBFloYd said:
@scatteh316 said:
@KBFloYd said:
@scatteh316 said:
@techhog89 said:

use your brain

just digging the hole deeper. (oh and i'm too lazy to capitalize) lol

listen to yourself now you are saying that nintendo's plan to sell software this gen is by not releasing software!

lol da fuk happen to you when you were a kid. did your parents not force you to go to school?

I'm not digging anything.....

You'll have to point the part I bolded out to me as I'm having trouble finding where I typed that...

Speaking like a chav......the world hates chavs

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By KBFloYd

@techhog89 said:
@KBFloYd said:
@techhog89 said:

Are you talking Let's Go or the 2019 game here? Either way Let's Go should still break 10 million and the 2019 game should still break 15 million. Switch will probably get a price cut next year which will help. Keep in mind that Zelda and Mario are still selling like crazy so not everything is decided in the first week. RDR2 was way out of reach, but it'll still sell decently.

smash isnt as a big a seller as pokemon. smash on the wii sold 13M. fighting games in general dont get much hype of GOTy awards. smash is like a quiet giant. the best selling fighting game around yet nobody really hypes it.

however nintendo is definitely promoting smash more than pokemon this year. its got way more hype than smash4 about equal to brawl. brawl had tons of hype. so it wouldnt surprise me if smash breaks let's go's 3M in 1 week. as for total lifetime sales? idk. i'd be happy with 9 or 10M thats enough to destroy/mangle any fighting game this gen.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Techhog89
@KBFloYd said:
@techhog89 said:
@KBFloYd said:
@techhog89 said:

smash isnt as a big a seller as pokemon. smash on the wii sold 13M. fighting games in general dont get much hype of GOTy awards. smash is like a quiet giant. the best selling fighting game around yet nobody really hypes it.

however nintendo is definitely promoting smash more than pokemon this year. its got way more hype than smash4 about equal to brawl. brawl had tons of hype. so it wouldnt surprise me if smash breaks let's go's 3M in 1 week. as for total lifetime sales? idk. i'd be happy with 9 or 10M thats enough to destroy/mangle any fighting game this gen.

Ultimate is getting ridiculous levels of hype, so I expect it to outsell Brawl.

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Sgt_Crow
@scatteh316 said:
@Sgt_Crow said:
@scatteh316 said:

So?

Okay Mr. Delusional Crybaby, time to take your meds.

scatteh316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 scatteh316
@Sgt_Crow said:
@scatteh316 said:
@Sgt_Crow said:
@scatteh316 said:

So?

Okay Mr. Delusional Crybaby, time to take your meds.

Typical response from a butt hurt fan boy with no logical counter argument (Y)

Sgt_Crow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Sgt_Crow

@scatteh316: You can throw your logic right out of the window after your comments on a game that has sold 3 mil in barely a week.

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#21  Edited By svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

Lmao the very first reply was cow salt. Typical response for any good news related to Nintendo.

What's Sony have for releases for the holidays?

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

I was worried about the mix of Pokemon Go, as I never got into that craze, but i'm really enjoying the game. Well deserved sales.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#23 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

Is Pokemon Lets Go a Fail or Success? Coolyfett can see you guys fussing & fighting but curious are these numbers good or bad?

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#24 Willy105
Member since 2005 • 26093 Posts

@Coolyfett: They are the best numbers Pokemon has gotten outside of the ones released the year Pokemon Go was a thing.

mandzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25 mandzilla  Moderator
Member since 2017 • 4686 Posts

If Pikachu has sold more than Eevee we riot... ?

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Techhog89
@Willy105 said:

@Coolyfett: They are the best numbers Pokemon has gotten outside of the ones released the year Pokemon Go was a thing.

lol que

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Coolyfett

@Willy105 said:

Ok so sales number are good then. Was not sure what was considered a success and what was considered failure.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Techhog89
@Coolyfett said:
@Willy105 said:

Ok so sales number are good then. Was not sure what was considered a success and what was considered failure.

He completely made that up though. XY did better. This is in-line with ORAS though.

Vaidream45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Vaidream45
Member since 2016 • 2116 Posts

@scatteh316: drought??? Hahahaha. New great games are coming out on Switch constantly. More than I can afford. The online store won’t quit. I’m guessing you don’t own a Switch huh? Also, good for Pokemon. I’m not a fan so have no interest but it’s cool to see Pokemon finally finding a home on a hybrid system.

MarioFan264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30 MarioFan264
Member since 2004 • 1025 Posts

A shame. As a Pokemon fan, I can't see anything good coming out of the success of the Lets Go games. *sighs* I knew they'd be a success, but I always wanted to dream that maybe there'd be a miracle of some sort. I guess now I just cross my fingers that LG truthfully has no negative impact on the mainline series in the long run. That'd be a miracle, too, though.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Techhog89
@MarioFan264 said:

A shame. As a Pokemon fan, I can't see anything good coming out of the success of the Lets Go games. *sighs* I knew they'd be a success, but I always wanted to dream that maybe there'd be a miracle of some sort. I guess now I just cross my fingers that LG truthfully has no negative impact on the mainline series in the long run. That'd be a miracle, too, though.

It's not tracking ahead normal main series games. This is only about on-par with remakes, so I don't see them dropping normal games for this style. So long as nothing goes wrong the games next year should sell a lot more.

lebanese_boy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lebanese_boy
Member since 2003 • 18036 Posts

Even though the fact that ''Pokemon sells'' is not that surprising I still find myself to be impressed by this game's performance. A month ago I would have told you that I'm not touching this game, ever. Now I'm actually interested in getting it.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#33 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69412 Posts

@scatteh316 said:
@techhog89 said:
@scatteh316 said:

So?

That sounds like real butthurt logic to me. Why so salty?

tgob89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 tgob89
Member since 2017 • 2153 Posts

@scatteh316 said:
@techhog89 said:
@scatteh316 said:

So?

Eh, worked for Xbox 360 and people loved that console though it actually offered less quality exclusives than PS3 or Wii.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1852 Posts
@techhog89 said:
@KBFloYd said:
@techhog89 said:

Well, it depends on the legs and how much RDR2 sells overall.

Though KBFloyd was stupid to bet that Pokemon Let's Go would beat RDR2 by January. Going by past trends of Nintendo games, they aren't all that front loaded for the most part. Nintendo games are evergreen titles that sell more overall. That's why people were laughing at Mario Kart Wii for selling less than GTA IV at launch, but now no one's laughing because it flipped. GTA IV is at 25 million sales while Mario Kart Wii is at 37 million sales. Same with COD MW2. People initially laughed at Reggie when he said NSMB Wii would outsell MW2 because the initial sales of MW2 were higher. Though no one's laughing now since MW2 is stuck at 25 million while NSMB Wii sold 30 million. Great selling Nintendo games for the most part don't become the best selling at first. It takes a while for them to accumulate sales and dominate after a while.

LuxuryHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 LuxuryHeart
Member since 2017 • 1852 Posts
@MarioFan264 said:

They'll probably just make both versions like they do with 2D and 3D Mario. If Let's go sells 20 million and regular sells 15 million, that's 35 million sales. Why would they only make one version and sell 20 million at the most when they can make two versions and sell 35 million?

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Techhog89
@luxuryheart said:
@techhog89 said:
@KBFloYd said:
@techhog89 said:

Well, it depends on the legs and how much RDR2 sells overall.

Though KBFloyd was stupid to bet that Pokemon Let's Go would beat RDR2 by January. Going by past trends of Nintendo games, they aren't all that front loaded for the most part. Nintendo games are evergreen titles that sell more overall. That's why people were laughing at Mario Kart Wii for selling less than GTA IV at launch, but now no one's laughing because it flipped. GTA IV is at 25 million sales while Mario Kart Wii is at 37 million sales. Same with COD MW2. People initially laughed at Reggie when he said NSMB Wii would outsell MW2 because the initial sales of MW2 were higher. Though no one's laughing now since MW2 is stuck at 25 million while NSMB Wii sold 30 million. Great selling Nintendo games for the most part don't become the best selling at first. It takes a while for them to accumulate sales and dominate after a while.

Let's Go isn't gonna beat RDR2 in the long run either. RDR2 has already outsold every Pokemon game since Gold/Silver. While Pokemon games have some evergreen status, it's not nearly as much as something like Mario Kart since so many are released each generation.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Techhog89
@luxuryheart said:
@MarioFan264 said:

They'll probably just make both versions like they do with 2D and 3D Mario. If Let's go sells 20 million and regular sells 15 million, that's 35 million sales. Why would they only make one version and sell 20 million at the most when they can make two versions and sell 35 million?

Except Let's Go isn't getting anywhere near 20 million lol. Even 15 million will be struggle with this start.

dzimm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#40 dzimm
Member since 2006 • 6615 Posts

@KBFloYd said:
bad sales for pokemon. looks like a flop in terms of what it was aiming for(capturing the millions of GO players).

Say what? The attach rate is around 12%, meaning that to date, 12% of Switch owners bought Pokemon Go. That puts it right in line with historical averages for the Pokemon series, so hardly a flop.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Techhog89
@dzimm said:
@KBFloYd said:
bad sales for pokemon. looks like a flop in terms of what it was aiming for(capturing the millions of GO players).

Say what? The attach rate is around 12%, meaning that to date, 12% of Switch owners bought Pokemon Go. That puts it right in line with historical averages for the Pokemon series, so hardly a flop.

He's upset because he was expecting 40 million lifetime sales (yes, really).

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#42 jeezers
Member since 2007 • 5341 Posts

I was going to pick it up but the game with the pokeball controller is too expensive, 100 bucks is steep, Nintendo i going to make a killing off of it tho. I pre ordered it, but then backed out because of the steep price, especially with smash being right around the corner. I basically put off getting Red Dead and Pokemon for smash. Pokemon lets go isnt even a mainline game, its a remake/spinoff of yellow thats experimenting with Go, im surprised the game has sold this well, expected worse for it being a more of a casual game.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Techhog89
@jeezers said:

I was going to pick it up but the game with the pokeball controller is too expensive, 100 bucks is steep, Nintendo i going to make a killing off of it tho. I pre ordered it, but then backed out because of the steep price, especially with smash being right around the corner. I basically put off getting Red Dead and Pokemon for smash. Pokemon lets go isnt even a mainline game, its a remake/spinoff of yellow thats experimenting with Go, im surprised the game has sold this well, expected worse for it being a more of a casual game.

You don't need the Pokeball to play the game.

knight-k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 knight-k
Member since 2005 • 2596 Posts

OK for a pokemon game.

Let's see how much this helps Switch.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 jeezers

@techhog89 said:
@jeezers said:

Yeah i know, but it gives you a big advantage of leveling up your pokemon on the go with out playing, it also will automatically catch pokemon for you while walking around in go, it gives you a huge advantage especially if you play both games. Im curious to know how many of the pokemon controllers they have sold with the game. even if its 20% that would be big for them.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Techhog89
@jeezers said:
@techhog89 said:
@jeezers said:

Yeah i know, but it gives you a big advantage of leveling up your pokemon on the go with out playing, it also will automatically catch pokemon for you while walking around in go, it gives you a huge advantage especially if you play both games. Im curious to know how many of the pokemon controllers they have sold with the game. even if its 20% that would be big for them.

You need to play the game to beat the masters because candy matters more than levels and the fastest way of grinding candy is by chaining. The advantage you get from the Pokeball is almost non-existent. I guess it could help with the Pokedex if you have absolutely no friends with the game, but that's about it (not counting that it's the only way to get Mew).

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By jeezers

@techhog89 said:
@jeezers said:
@techhog89 said:
@jeezers said:

You need to play the game to beat the masters because candy matters more than levels and the fastest way of grinding candy is by chaining. The advantage you get from the Pokeball is almost non-existent. I guess it could help with the Pokedex if you have absolutely no friends with the game, but that's about it (not counting that it's the only way to get Mew).

But you can get candy by walking in Go on your phone and by walking with the pokeball. Thats candy earned while walking around a grocery store. You earn candies by catching in go, the pokeball will attempt to catch pokemon around you automatically without having to look at your phone. it helps earn candies while not near your switch.

Techhog89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Techhog89
@jeezers said:
@techhog89 said:
@jeezers said:
@techhog89 said:
@jeezers said:

But you can get candy by walking in Go on your phone and by walking with the pokeball. Thats candy earned while walking around a grocery store. You earn candies by catching in go, the pokeball will attempt to catch pokemon around you automatically without having to look at your phone. it helps earn candies while not near your switch.

It's slow. And really, if you don't have time to do the masters, don't do them. Nobody's forcing you. Just say that you don't want the game instead of making up lame excuses.

jeezers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 jeezers

@techhog89: Im not making lame excuses i still want the game and I play go casually, but if i get it i also want the pokeball controller which is 100 bucks at launch with the game, i backed out to put that money towards Smash instead. I think the game looks great, but ill wait untill i can get the game and pokeball together for around 60 bucks. When i get it I want to take advantage of the the Go perks with the ball.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Coolyfett

@MarioFan264 said:

So you wanted Lets Go to fail so that Nintendo would not use it as an influence toward the 2019 game?