Pokedomination: first the UK and now Japan..USA next?

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22713 Posts

as seen in this system wars thread pokemon ..pokemon pearl/diamond remake has become the 2nd best selling game of the year in the uk. slapping the shit out of kena bridge of crap, ratchet and wack, and even resident evil.

Sony's 1st complete year on the market had no competition for nintendo. lack of quality games showed as nintendo won every month in sales except for october. only because people were waiting for the switch OLED that month.

back to pokemon... pokemon launched in japan and has become the 2nd highest switch game launch in japan just slightly behind animal crossing new horizons.news link selling 1.5Million in 3 days(in japan only)(physical sales only)

could it be that pokemon pearl/diamond where the first pokemon games on the best selling system of all time the DS? too many people with nostalgia for this game?

why do you think this pokemon game is so successful compared to the others?

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2 tjandmia
Member since 2017 • 1421 Posts

It's a game for kids. Kids love Pokemon. Of course it's going to sell better than games for Adults who have limited time to play anything.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KBFloYd

@tjandmia said:

It's a game for kids. Kids love Pokemon. Of course it's going to sell better than games for Adults who have limited time to play anything.

actually yokai watch is more geared towards kids in japan i heard. pokemon is played by all ages. so youre wrong about that.

funny thing about japan and nintendo. i talked to a japanese person who said nintendo over there is like pop music.

basically nintendo is justin beiber/beyonce/arianna grande of video games. they sell tons and are the most popular. but get less street cred?

interesting.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#4 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 16379 Posts

@tjandmia: The average age of Pokemon players is in the 20s.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Jag85

@KBFloYd: The same could be said for Nintendo almost anywhere else in the world. Mario and Pokemon are household names across the globe. And Pokemon is the biggest media franchise on the planet.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 29610 Posts
@Jag85 said:

@tjandmia: The average age of Pokemon players is in the 20s.

I bet his favorite toy, the PS5, has an average age of players less than that. Not to talk about his PS5 games needing less intellectual ability too.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 15878 Posts

Hello KBFloYd. How have you been?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 36819 Posts

Pokemon be beastin’ baby!

dabear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 dabear
Member since 2002 • 4938 Posts

@KBFloYd: pokemon. LOL.

jaydan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By jaydan
Member since 2015 • 5609 Posts

Remakes are lame and so is the recycled Pokemon Formula.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#11 Mesome713
Member since 2019 • 1911 Posts

PS5 sold 4K copies while Switch sold 70k. Sony is such a joke. Nobody wants to play it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

PS5 sold 4K copies while Switch sold 70k. Sony is such a joke. Nobody wants to play it.

Nintendo sold 70k Switches while still having hundreds of thousands in stock. Sony sold 4k and had zero left to sell😂

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Mesome713

@hardwenzen: Fake News mate. Only 4K cause no one is buying it.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Fake News mate. Only 4K cause no one is buying it.

Fake News mate. Only 4k cause no stock left.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 tjandmia

@KBFloYd said:
@tjandmia said:

actually yokai watch is more geared towards kids in japan i heard. pokemon is played by all ages. so youre wrong about that.

funny thing about japan and nintendo. i talked to a japanese person who said nintendo over there is like pop music.

basically nintendo is justin beiber/beyonce/arianna grande of video games. they sell tons and are the most popular. but get less street cred?

interesting.

I just can't imagine the majority of the userbase actually playing that game being adults. Every single pokemon ad I see is geared toward children. Why in the world would Nintendo spend millions on production and marketing to make ads for children when a majority of their players are adults? The answer is they wouldn't. Think, my man, think.

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Mesome713

@hardwenzen: Only 4 k in stock. Lol

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 hardwenzen

@mesome713 said:

@hardwenzen: Only 4 k in stock. Lol

PS5's aren't made out of refurbished VHS players like the Switch🤷‍♂️

Mesome713

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Mesome713

@hardwenzen: With numbers that bad, this thing is a flop. Rip Sony in Japan.

Moistcarrot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Moistcarrot
Member since 2015 • 1260 Posts

I mean, it's Pokemon.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 9721 Posts

@tjandmia said:

pokemon was a game for kids in the late 90s to early 2000s, and now those kids all grew up. Id say most of the audience is adults.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tjandmia

@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@tjandmia said:

pokemon was a game for kids in the late 90s to early 2000s, and now those kids all grew up. Id say most of the audience is adults.

Nintendo/Pokemon co spend millions on ads like this. You think they do ads like this because most of Pokemon's audience is adults? lol okay.

Loading Video...

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By KBFloYd
@hardwenzen said:

Hello KBFloYd. How have you been?

hey, same ol same ol. trolling for the lols

i see youre still fighting the good fight. this place is awesome.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 KBFloYd
@tjandmia said:
@KBFloYd said:
@tjandmia said:

interesting.

I just can't imagine the majority of the userbase actually playing that game being adults. Every single pokemon ad I see is geared toward children. Why in the world would Nintendo spend millions on production and marketing to make ads for children when a majority of their players are adults? The answer is they wouldn't. Think, my man, think.

i mean...yea nintendo wants kids to play it because when they grow up they will have money and be able to buy them themselves. getting kids while their young is a marketing strategy.

but many of those 1999 kids are grown right now and buying pokemon. pokemon series is old enough for it to include people of all ages buying it. thats why it sells so much.

i dont know if the majority is kids but for sure tons of adults play it as well and you cant say its for kids or just for kids. thats incorrect.

Avatar image for blaznwiipspman1
blaznwiipspman1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 blaznwiipspman1
Member since 2007 • 9721 Posts

@tjandmia said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@tjandmia said:

Nintendo/Pokemon co spend millions on ads like this. You think they do ads like this because most of Pokemon's audience is adults? lol okay.

Loading Video...

pokemon has always been targetted towards kids true, but the game is generational. Just because one generation grows up doesn't mean they stop playing. Just look at the recent pokemon go thing that released a few years ago. Hundreds of millions of adults went outside trying to catch pokemon. The series has gone beyond just a show from one period in time, and has marked itself as part of the culture or tradition, or whatever.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Jag85
@tjandmia said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@tjandmia said:

Loading Video...

The very video you posted shows a mother watching Pokemon by herself after the kids fall asleep... The ad shows that Pokemon is multi-generational. It can be enjoyed by kids and parents alike.

And like I said before, the majority of Pokemon players are adults:

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 tjandmia

@Jag85 said:
@tjandmia said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:
@tjandmia said:

Loading Video...

The very video you posted shows a mother watching Pokemon by herself after the kids fall asleep... The ad shows that Pokemon is multi-generational. It can be enjoyed by kids and parents alike.

Great, pokemon go. Pokemon is for kids. It's undeniable.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Jag85
@tjandmia said:
@Jag85 said:
@tjandmia said:
@blaznwiipspman1 said:

Loading Video...

Great, pokemon go. Pokemon is for kids. It's undeniable.

Nice try shifting the goal post... But no cigar. It's a baseless claim that has been debunked time and time again...

The majority of Pokemon players are over 18 years old: data and sources inside

Planeforger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28 Planeforger
Member since 2004 • 18776 Posts

I got back into the office this week, and all of the gamers are playing Pokemon. Half of my Switch friends list is playing Pokemon. My partner finished the game a few nights ago, and her sister has been playing it too.

We're all in our 30s. So the Pokemon = kids argument is a bit daft. The series appeals to kids, but it also keeps appealing to everyone who was a kid in the 90s.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 2343 Posts

It's pointless to compare pokemon with its competitors. POKEMON is the biggest media franchise in the world! Let's not forget what happened to Pokemon in 2020.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By tjandmia
@Jag85 said:

Nice try shifting the goal post... But no cigar. It's a baseless claim that has been debunked time and time again...

The majority of Pokemon players are over 18 years old: data and sources inside

You should read the first few comments of that post. It's amazing to me that you think Nintendo is spending millions on Pokemon ads for children because it's mostly adults playing polemon games wow.

Avatar image for BenjaminBanklin
BenjaminBanklin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 BenjaminBanklin
Member since 2004 • 9014 Posts

@tjandmia said:

Not Floyd. Nothing's getting him out of that basement. He has nothing but time

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 49522 Posts

@Jag85: 25% ages 30-50 here. It was the Anime that got me into Pokemon Red/Blue/Yellow when the Gameboy games release, I been playing Pokemon since and all the way to Sword/Shield. Sadly, I stop watching the Anime after Misty & Brock left. I still watch the movies just to see where the series is at.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Jag85

@tjandmia: Even after showing you the receipts that prove the vast majority of Pokemon players are adults, you're still peddling the same old fake news like a broken record. You must be trolling.

Even the advert video you posted shows adults watching Pokemon. It's a multi-generational franchise that appeals to kids and adults alike. That's how it became the world's highest-grossing media franchise of all time.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Jag85

@davillain-: Pretty sure most of this board's users fall into that same age bracket (myself included). This board is now mostly full of old-timers with not many new members signing up.

Personally, I stopped playing Pokemon and watching the anime well over a decade ago. The last Pokemon I played was just Pokemon Go a few years ago... What's a good entry point to get back into the series? Sword and Shield?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 DaVillain  Moderator

@Jag85: I wouldn't bother Sword/Shield as they are the main current Poke games for the Switch and if you do want to get back into the series, Brilliant Diamond/Shinning Pearl are just remasters from Nintendo DS, so I would suggest go with that as it can be a good entry point and see if getting back into the game series is worth your time.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 tjandmia

@Jag85 said:

@tjandmia: Even after showing you the receipts that prove the vast majority of Pokemon players are adults, you're still peddling the same old fake news like a broken record. You must be trolling.

Even the advert video you posted shows adults watching Pokemon. It's a multi-generational franchise that appeals to kids and adults alike. That's how it became the world's highest-grossing media franchise of all time.

I reject your premise, and so does common sense, Nintendo's ad purchasing habits, and everyone in that goofy reddit thread. You have demonstrated nothing, not even something likely to be true.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Jag85

@tjandmia: Facts don't care about your feelings. All the data demonstrates the fact that the overwhelming majority of Pokemon players are adults. You have absolutely zero data to back up your baseless opinions. If you have no evidence to back up your opinions, then don't bother wasting my time. Good bye.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Jag85

@davillain-: Pearl and Diamond remakes seem to be getting some mixed reviews. Are you saying they're better than the reviews suggest?

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 DaVillain  Moderator

@Jag85 said:

@davillain-: Pearl and Diamond remakes seem to be getting some mixed reviews. Are you saying they're better than the reviews suggest?

No, just saying it's a good way to get back into the series as the originals were the first Pokemon games on Nintendo DS. The remasters are for those who never played the DS versions and much less aiming for those who played them. Pokemon Sword/Shield can be a starting point as well. Either Pokemon games will give the player a fresh start.

tjandmia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 tjandmia

@Jag85 said:

@tjandmia: Facts don't care about your feelings. All the data demonstrates the fact that the overwhelming majority of Pokemon players are adults. You have absolutely zero data to back up your baseless opinions. If you have no evidence to back up your opinions, then don't bother wasting my time. Good bye.

That's not data. That is speculation. Adios.